[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
old thread - >>54210009

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
DO NOT BUMP, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Take at least 10 seconds to google first
Please make sure you've read the sticky before posting.

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
I'm trying to remove weather and it's doesn't appear in installed. I tried in terminal and this came.

sudo apt-get remove AWeather
[sudo] password for 1:
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
>>
File: 1456654919352.jpg (102 KB, 680x966) Image search: [Google]
1456654919352.jpg
102 KB, 680x966
>>54219284
Poor unifag reporting in
>Background
I am connected through my dorm's shitty WiFi (just an Ausfag).

>Looking for
A device that kinda grabs signal and creates a personal WiFi hotspot.

>Restriction
The devices I want to connect are mobile devices and I can only get WiFi signals. No optical wires are involved

>Case studies
I looked on my local super markets and thy only have WiFi extenders that can extend signals BUT require wired connection from the ISP

What should I buy?
>>
Will maintenance tools such as CCleaner or Wise Registry Cleaner actually enhance my PC's performance, or will they just fuck my registries up? My PC is old but it runs fine, I don't fill it with random shit and run MBAM once a month or so. Will running these tools help at all?
>>
File: 1445288732351.png (10 KB, 313x329) Image search: [Google]
1445288732351.png
10 KB, 313x329
Greetings my tech savvy friends, any botnet-free video recording software you guys would recommend?

I'm trying to record videos from my webcam and upload them elsewhere.
>>
Is there a Chromium alternative to the "Open With" or "Watch with MPV" Firefox addons?
>>
>>54219510
KDEnlive and ffmpeg
>>
How do I bypass or prevent my mobile carrier from throttling my internet?
Once I use 5gb of it I go from 20mbs to a whopping .70mbs
>>
>>54219510
OBS
>>
>>54219627
call and bitch at them
>>
>>54219284

Why is Trisquel not recommended on the wiki? Or talked about much at all. It looks like ubuntu with the non-free bits removed.
>>
>>54219533
>>54219628
Thanks friends.
>>
is there a generic way to have a program communicate over a specific IP in linux?

i have two IP's configured on my desktop, for the purpose of shaping their traffic differently on my router, some programs have options to bind to a specific address, but others don't
>>
>>54219634
>>54219627
Anything else besides speaking to Indians?
>>
Anyone know a site that sells a good genuine displayport cable in the UK?

Mine just broke by the looks of it and I don't really trust the ones on amazon anymore.
>>
>>54219737
give them more money for a better plan
>>
Anyone know a good ~$50 bluetooth speaker I can use with my laptop?
Just looking for something that's better than the speakers that are already on it
>>
>>54219775
Unlimited data is the highest plan
>>
Could a monitor be damaged if the gamma is set too high?
>>
I know this is stupid (hence why I'm posting here)

let's say that 2D animations on windows, linux, whatever for the desktop and web browsers with smooth scrolling and the like are good like 90% of the time, then they stutter at random times. Pretty much like getting random heavy frame drops at times.

I don't discard it could be my GPU, but do you think RAM would have anything to do with it as well? I'm saying this because while my ram has an XMP profile and my CPU supports it, the motherboard only detects it but doesn't apply it/doesn't have an option to enable the XMP profile. I tried setting the timings manually and sure enough Windows reports those correctly but there hasn't been much of a change.
>>
Can I move a torrent i'm downloading/seeding from one client to another without starting over? If so, how?
>>
are there any good alternatives to kmspico? the kmspico from this link has a bunch of malware in it and doesn't activate windows.

kmspico10.com/
>>
Does anyone know a good guide to tweak/adjust windows 10? I kinda want to download it but how much it takes to make it less "intrusive"?
>>
>>54219947
Pause download
Remove torrent from client (not PC)
Add torrent file to new client
Point it to the same folder you were downloading the file before
Profit! The client should automatically check the folder and resume the download where you left it.
>>
Which laptops should I consider if i want something under 15'', over 1366x768 and under 300 euros? I dont mind buying used
>>
>>54219912
no
>>
I fucked up my ears and now they're really sensitive to pain and typing on my keyboard hurts my ears now and is probably making my tinnitus worse.
Please recommend me a good quiet keyboard and please respond.
>>
>>54220083

Are you sure? Just wondering, because I tried adjusting it through software, accidentally raised it much higher than it needed to be, and a large splotch of light appeared on one of the corners of the screen for a couple seconds before I lowered it back down to a normal level.
>>
>>54220154
Your display may be doing some dynamic contrast ratio shit, but high software gamma can't do anything more than putting a white image on your screen will do.
>>
Where can I get high quality album covers? I tried AAE but they only offer jpg
>>
Jailbroke my iPhone 6s. Is there a app like Minminguard for iOS? also, replacement for adaway.
>>
i tried isntalling skype on debian and it broek ;~;
it put me in a cli and i cant get a connection
halp pls ;c
>>
>>54219849
invoke the 13th amendment or 401k
>>
>>54220309
Google image search and show only high resolution PNG results
>>
>>54220103
blacks are alright if you type softly, though scizzor switches are far quiter. My concern would be the mouse click, not the keyboard.

Do you actually have tinnitus or just jestering? I do and its not a nice thing
>>
>>54220332
wot i did
wiki.debian.org/skype#Debian_8_.22Jessie.22
>>
>>54220356
not very effective in finding a lot of stuff
>>
>>54220253

Well, I adjusted it through AMD's desktop color settings.
It just looked very weird, like it could have damaged the LEDs by pushing them beyond their normal operating range. Hopefully not though.
>>
can you do udacity courses without paying? I was told i could but signing up requires me to add a CC?
>>
>>54220358
My mouse clicks don't irritate it at all. However, my left ear is more fucked up than my right ear. Furthermore, my tinnitus is not a lie and far worse in my left ear than right ear. Yeah, tinnitus sucks. Had it all my life so I'm glad it's at least not my fault.
Thanks for answering. I enjoy slapping away at my keyboard so I suppose I'll go for scissor switches. Is there a recommended brand? Sorry for knowing nothing, but Googling will hurt my ears ahhh I just want to buy something random off Amazon.
>>
>>54220332
send help ;~~~~;
>>
Best 3D modeling software for room interiors and house/floors?

i need to be able to model an attic and apply own textures
>>
Is this a legit apple strategy? Basically my new iPad literally takes an hour of usage to go from 100% to 99% battery and after that it starts going down normally

It's as if they somehow want to convey that the battery is better than it is
>>
>>54220584
lol dw, go for somethinhg cheap like a microsoft wired desktop keyboard. It may be cheap but I really like it as my secondary keyboard. Its got some ergonomics to it which is nice

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=wired+desktop&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjnmNjdiKrMAhXELaYKHWx8AY4Q_AUIBygB&biw=1920&bih=983
>>
>>54220679
yes, and planned obsolesce as well
>>
>>54220702
Well that's clear with only 2GBs of ram in an otherwise future proof package but the 100% to 99% just seems so painfully obvious and no one complains about it
>>
>>54220688
Thanks my nigga!!
Also, now that you mention it, maybe my mouse is a bit loud. At least, it probably would be without my white noise machines, which I will soon start turning off more often.
Do you have the knowledge to recommend me a quiet mouse?
>>
how often do the majority of people upgrade GPU's? I built my computer in October 2015, with a gtx 960. I have plenty of money in savings. I only really care about 1080p gaming though, so i thought the 960 was a good buy, and it was, but... it's kind of weak. Witcher 3 is a game I really enjoy, and the 960 only does "ok" on it.
Would it be a bad idea to upgrade after only 1 year when Black Friday rolls around? Is it wasteful when my current setup already runs the most demanding game on the market? I'm not even a graphics whore, I just want that 60 fps lock.
>>
>>54220332
p-pls ;w;
>>
>>54220790
Literally upgrade if you feel like it
>>
>>54220790
How the hell do you not get smooth 60 on Witcher 3? Have you overclocked it? GTX 960 is great for overclocking in my experience. Sute it won't run +60 or smooth 60 on ultra but most on high and it's smooth.
>>
>>54219917
garbage collection
>>
>>54219722
>shaping
Why? Its on the same board
Bridge them and be over with it.
>>
>>54220763
Not really, Maybe if its over the top consider an external trackpad or something. You could always open up your mouse and scrape the part that makes the click noise so its silent

>>54220790
Every month or so.
>>
>>54220833
Here's a stupid question, what is garbage collection in retard terms and why do you guys hate it?
>>
>>54220103
Get foam ear protecers.
You can feel like a flight deck crewman
>>
>>54220828
I have not overclocked it. I also wonder if my CPU is a bottleneck though, fx 8350 at stock settings.
>>
>>54220899
i don't think you understand
>>
>>54219284
I'm dual booting osx and debian on a macbook pro 3.1 with rEFIt.

I followed a few tutorials, debian & rEFIt documentation + random articles, that stressed syncing the partition tables for x reason.

The rEFIt MBR GPT sync menu says 'will not touch' and there was an 'Unknown' value where the main linux partition should be. There were five partitions in both category. Both OS could boot just fine but It bothered me that I was missing something.

During a previous install I ran gptsync in a terminal basically because, "fuck it, what does this do." It seems to make the GPT list one partition while the MBR still lists five with the same 'Unknown' on the linux partition after the sync. In other words "I don't get it, what did I do."

I don't understand the significance of the 'will not touch'/'Unknown' error and I don't really get what the sync is to begin with. Is the sync really important /g/sqt/? things seem to run fine.

thanks
>>
>>54220929
>I also wonder if my CPU is a bottleneck though, fx 8350 at stock settings.
Nah, it shoudln't bottleneck anything under 980. Overclock it m8, should give about 10 fps.
>>
>>54220910
I see. Makes sense. Thanks again. Can I open up my mouse, though? I see no screws on it. Oh well the keyboard is more important right now anyway.

>>54220924
I fucked up my ears by pulling on them all the time. (just a nervous habit I thought nothing of) So those would just prolong my condition.
>>
>>54220938
For some reason you want to split your data from your 2 ips you assign to the router for wtf ever reason. If it dosent have a way to pick the interface within the program,or pick the port.
There is nothing you can do.
>traffic differently
Why? Its the same board its not like you have a vpn on one of them and yod you want to throw trafic at it.
>>
How do you roughly estimate the quality of an x265 file based on its size? For instance, is a 1Gb file going to be YiFY quality or will it be equivalent to about 3Gb x264 or something else?
>>
What's the optimal db for mp3 normally?
>>
If i plug my GPU in, my computer starts but screen gets no input from neither the GPU or integrated one. Any possibilities besides the GPU being broken
>>
>>54221022
Depends on your settings. But it will be smaller then x264
>>
>>54221008
traffic shaping, i have one of them set to be lower priority on the router, so i can run torrents and other downloads via that address without them slowing other things down
in any case, it looks like i can do something with iptables, just need to figure out how it all works
>>
>>54221022
you can't based on its size/bitrate alone, there's too many other variables
>>
Is the swap partition a meme? How should I partition Ubuntu on a 250gig or so SSD?
>>
>>54221042
psu being shit house
>>
How the fuck do you figure out whether a Linux command for something you want to do exists or not, and how it is called?

Say even very simple stuff, is there an easy way to figure out that 'mkdir' is the command you use to make directories without googling "make directory linux pls help"? Perhaps a database?
>>
>>54221123
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Linux+command&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=ZDweV52eMYKlmQW0gInwCA
>>
>>54221086
>>54221055
You're right, but for example if a x264 is 3 gb or 12 gb I can more or less expect a certain quality threshold even if it's approximate. Is there such a rule of thumb for the new standard?
>>
>>54221123
Get the Linux Command lIne bible
>>
>>54221150
Jesus christ fucking setup your settings and use x265 and see.
>>
>>54221133
Thanks, anon. Not even being sarcastic, I actually found some stuff and feel retarded for not having done this before.

>>54221164
Seems a bit overkill, I'm looking for something that offers quick fixes and solutions, not a book that teaches me how to become a hacker.
>>
What's a good amd cpu similarly priced to the pentium g3258?
>>
Distros from distrowatch could be spyware? Does ubuntu spy on you?
>>
>>54221428
they could?

Ubuntu actually does spy on you and sends statistics to amazon.
>>
>>54221428
Can they? I usually download straight from the distro's homepage if it's available; hell I didn't even know you could directly download them from Distrowatch.

>Does ubuntu spy on you?
See >>54221522
Last time I used Ubuntu, it was pretty up-front about sending stats about you to Amazon, not sure if Canonical decided to hush-hush it for 16.
>>
>>54221522
you got no clue what your talking about don't you ?

>>54221428
What ubuntu does basically :
whenever you type something on the dash, they send it to their servers (canonical's servers) and they'll querrry amazon so they can show you products from amazon related to your search. Basically they use their servers as a proxy so amazon can't spy on you as they want.
That can be disabled and uninstalled.
That thing is not a question of botnet as windows 10 , but it's more about ethic.
>>
>>54221607
i know what im talking about, and i know it can be disabled
>>
What's the point of adding the linux command line to windows?
>>
guy having the 0% gpu usage and framerate drops here, turns out my CPU was thermal throttling
>>
>>54221638
It's not just bash.

It's the actual Ubuntu userspace embedded into Windows 10.

Which means you can fully run Ubuntu binaries, as well as interact with the filesystem using Bash.

Which means you can literally run Linux applications in Windows.
>>
>>54221105
>Is the swap partition a meme?
I never used it, and will never need swap in my life probably.
Now some people might need swap, if they want to hibernate, or if they don't have enought RAM on their system.

if you got less than 4GB RAM, your swap should be the double of it
Else if your ram is 4GB or more, it should equal your RAM.
>>
>>54221708
is this a step towards windows being open source or a step towards linux becoming kill
>>
>>54221638
It's bascially for devs who only use linux because of gcc and handy commandline stuff. M$ is hoping to pull them back totally into the windows.

>>54221740
#2 - but the people who actually use linux because of FOSS and customizability obviously won't be going back to windows anytime soon.
>>
>>54221638
The difference in performance and security between linux and windows start to grow more and more every years, and the support of linux start to be verry important (amd open sourcing their drivers, nvidia providing good drivers, AAA games ported to linux...).
With all the stuff that happened, microsoft have to say they are nice, like open source, and aren't evil. It's just marketing strategy.
>>
>>54221779
Im just hoping it wont mean programs written for linux that have windows dependancies
>>
How do I change my urxvt to be less blindingly white and not have a scrollbar?
>>
>>54219284
https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-ath-m50x-professional-studio-monitor-headphones

This is a good deal, but does anyone have any experience with ordering from sites like this?
>>
>>54220650

Free: Blender
Paid: Anything else
>>
File: mega-logo.jpg (23 KB, 240x117) Image search: [Google]
mega-logo.jpg
23 KB, 240x117
Is MEGASync proprietary?
A Google Search for content of the last year can't answer this.
>>
>>54221740
>>54221779
>is this a step towards windows being open source or a step towards linux becoming kill
Neither.

Microsoft is actually embracing Linux as a platform to sell their Azure services on. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is now deployable via Azure.

Any reasonable analysis suggests that Microsoft is NOT trying to get rid of Linux. They are simply planning to monetize Linux-based cloud services.
>>
>>54221843
If you can't find anywhere that says it's open source, then it's not.
>>
>>54221837
I've ordered from Groupon a few times. Worked out fine.

Doesn't look like that great of a deal, though.
>>
>>54221837
groupon? yeah theyre g

>>54221843
stop asking this jesus. Yes its clsoed, not owned by kim and compromised

>>54221866
3e's baby, now and forever
>>
>>54221919
Like, do you mean that it's not cheap enough or what?
I don't think I can find headphones like those for that price
>>
>>54221934
>stop asking this jesus.
I'm not Jesus.
>>
>>54221938
I'm just saying they're usually like $115, so it's a bit weird that this particular deal is making you impulse-purchase.
>>
>>54221997
I honestly can't find any pair of these that's less than $130
>>
>>54222011
They're on B&H for $117 with free rush shipping.
>>
Is there some software that can tell me what's the system's total power usage? Or at least come very close to something accurate.
>>
>>54222031
A wall-outlet voltmeter.
>>
>>54222029
Well thanks m8
I totally didn't even see those
>>
>>54222045
Software tho.
>>
>>54222058
nope
>>
File: The_Pirate_Bay_logo.svg.png (151 KB, 530x600) Image search: [Google]
The_Pirate_Bay_logo.svg.png
151 KB, 530x600
I don't get it... Why people think Kickass is better than The Pirate Bay? Kickass complies with DMCA!!!
>>
>>54222058
Not really possible.

There are estimation calculators based on your build, but that's about it.
>>
can you recommend me an alternative to imgur that provides direct links but doesnt suffer from piss poor interface?
>>
>>54222089
Are you trying to temporarily quick upload screenshots or what?

Use ShareX, tie to whatever service you want.
>>
>>54222045
WRONG!
Power consumption is measured in WATTS!
>>
>>54222103
no I just need a more comfortable way to sort my shit.
I have folders with hundreds of images and moving, deleting, renaming etc. is a pain in the ass with their shit interface.
>>
File: Battery-lithium-cr2032.jpg (334 KB, 680x594) Image search: [Google]
Battery-lithium-cr2032.jpg
334 KB, 680x594
I have here a CR2032 battery that has only 2.39V, is that acceptable to use on motherboards?
>>
>>54220003
used x220
>>
File: KTg935Q.png (755 KB, 975x651) Image search: [Google]
KTg935Q.png
755 KB, 975x651
>>54222119
Google Photos works good for me.

Shit's automatically categorized based on date, locations, even machine-prediction subjects.

For example, I can type 'cars', and pic related is shown. I didn't tag the images, but Google 'thinks' they are cars.

You can direct link from the image, too.
>>
>>54222086
buy your damn porn Tyrone
>>
>>54222159
>google photos
yeah I used picasa in the past and loved it buy of course they had to fuck me over with google photos which doesnt provide any direct links.
>>
>>54222086
tpb got taken down for like a month and then they had a clock with nothing else. Now idk what the point it
>>
>>54222159
Why type ``cars'' if you own a ``truck''? Both you and ©Google®™ are stupid.
>>
File: IMG_20140206_113756.jpg (155 KB, 1315x986) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140206_113756.jpg
155 KB, 1315x986
>>54222180
You can direct link images after Right Click -> View Image

Pic related. Note that date tags are included in filename.
>>
>>54222191
you're the people that thinks SSD's can't be called HDD's right?
>>
>>54222209
Oh, in hindsight, that was just the file name from my phone when I took the image.

Either way, image names are maintained at least on 4chan.
>>
What's a good (better if free) alternative to Dropbox?

We're having syncing problems at work. It's probably due to my coworkers retardation but I can't be arsed to try to put some sense on them.
>>
>>54222209
are these temp or perm links?
will give it a try though.
>>
>>54222234
Just use OwnCloud.
>>
>>54222234
force them to work in a single folder shared over LAN. Problem solved.
>>
>>54221821
Plz respond
>>
>>54222256
They have a million folders, use a new excel document for literally everything and usually 3-4 open the same shit lots of times daily, sometimes without connection so there are conflicts out the ass.
>>
Is there any fucking way to fucking turn OFF the fucking option in foobar so it doesn't motherfucking scan my entire fucking library at startup and fucking MURDER my drives? I think the way it's coded is flawed at the very core since it essentially hooks the system to notify it of any updates instead of keeping a static file.

Also, is there ANY music program that does pic related? Basically minimizes itself as a small bar at the top. It's can either be to be on top of other windows or not, and uses the mouse wheel to turn the volume up/down when you click on the bar. Literally indispensable. Is there any way to import a Winamp library? I have the install/the main partition on another drive.

It's crashing and can't index my library no matter what I try. Just installed Win 7 but that's irrelevant. Thoughts?
>>
>>54222214
You must be autistic. Fuck off moron.
>>
File: xgBvACO.png (127 KB, 561x474) Image search: [Google]
xgBvACO.png
127 KB, 561x474
>>54222239
For a perm link, you can click the 'Share' button and get a link.
>>
>>54222271
*.background: #CCCCCC
*.scrollBar: False
>>
File: winamp.png (327 KB, 1424x688) Image search: [Google]
winamp.png
327 KB, 1424x688
>>54222332
>>
>>54222332
>>54222368
I'd be willing to bet MusicBee can do that to some extent.
>>
>>54222345
shh shh calm down, anon. We all love you.
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-25+at+11.29.43).png (21 KB, 687x468) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-25+at+11.29.43).png
21 KB, 687x468
Trying to enable FTPS over TLS via Filezilla.

But when I connect it says something along the lines of a syntax error after trying to input a putty command. Googled, said I needed to change the client to allow FTPS, but I have no fucking idea where to do that.
>>
Why isn't i915 included in mesamatrix.net?
>>
>>54222389
Looks like malware. Guess I'll have to wait until they fucking release a new version the fucking lazy shit cunts. Thanks anyway man.
>>
>>54222563
>Looks like malware.
???

MusicBee is widely recommended. It's good software.
>>
>>54222519
are you certain you're not confusing FTPS with SFTP?
>>
Where do I get cheap cat6 cable by the metre?
I'm in Finland.
>>
I'm trying to port forward my WNDR4500 router and nothing I'm doing is working. I'm following this guide exactly. What do I do?
https://github.com/CTurt/3DSController/blob/master/README.md
>>
>>54222591
I am not certain. Trying to secure the FTP server is rather new to me.
>>
>>54222605
See if your firefall settings prevent traffic.
>>
>>54222615
Firewall*
Polite sage, I've finally made a spurdo typo on my own
>>
>>54222615
>>54222642
When I started the server, I clicked the allow button. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it though.
I tried using the port checker thing at portforward.com and it said the port was closed.
>>
Is there any active community or forum for those wanting to learn computer security?
>>
Some people on /g/ talked about an interesting books about electronics weeks ago. It was available through torrents, IIRC. Can someone tell me the name ?
>>
Wouldn't non-smartphones be harder to track because of having no GPS or Wifi?
>>
>>54222174
No. The movie industry stinks.
>>
>>54222185
It was raided, couldn't go online immediately.
>>
>>54222666
You might need to restart your router or something.

>>54222686
Search for the thread(s) in the archives ot rbt.asia
If it was the gentoomen library, know that that's full of viruses.
>>
>>54222089
Greenshot if you are on Windows
>>
Is there any difference between server cpus compared to mainstream ones, aside from the way higher cores+threads count? Can I run servers on a mainstream cpu provided it has enough cores for it?
>>
File: wordpress-588494_640.jpg (79 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
wordpress-588494_640.jpg
79 KB, 640x426
I have a Wordpress blog, and want to buy a custom domain.
Should I pay US$18/year, or map for US$13/year one bought of another register, and pay the custom domain of this other service?
Please, take into account that each US$ costs me 4 times more in my currency!
>>
>>54222746
Thanks.
>>
Aside from Soulseek and private trackers, where should you look for obscure or semi-obscure music
>>
What's a better way to move files over ssh than scp? Typing file paths is tiring.
>>
File: CAP.png (15 KB, 465x356) Image search: [Google]
CAP.png
15 KB, 465x356
Is pic related as blatant a problem as it looks or am I an idiot?
>>
>>54222746
That did not work. I also should have noted that port forwarding has never worked on my router and I've had to rely on hamachi but I really would like to not have to do that.
>>
Why do GPUs now have only 1 HDMI and 1 DVI port? I have dual monitor setup and been searching for a GPU with 2 DVI ports, but to no avail. I also intend on buying a GTX 980 TI, any suggesitons?
>>
>>54222823
ftp?
Isn't sftp just scp?

Nah, you need to write a bash script and add it to your GUI file manager as a contect menu option.

>>54222758
Some support advanced virtualizing techologies and such, support more PCIe lanes and more RAM. Mostly things useful for servers.

>>54222892
DVI is being phased out. The one DVI port your GPU has is a DVI-I port, kept there because it carries both a digital and an analog (VGA) video signal.
Both HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2 support 4k 60fps while DVI and VGA don't.

>>54222873
See if your isp is blocking traffic on the ports.
>>
>>54222892
>Why do GPUs now have only 1 HDMI and 1 DVI port?

Standards. There are probably some cheap adapters on Aliexpress.
>>
>>54222584
Looks like my old installation is still working with the database still in place. Just have to rename my hard drives and create some symbolic links to create some logical drives from old backups. Downloading an unofficial 5.7 build atm. Fucking winamp devs.
>>
>>54222959
>See if your isp is blocking traffic on the ports.
How do I check that?
>>
>>54219423
CCleaner won't mess your shit up, it lets you back up registry changes anyway but I can't say I really notice a big difference after running it. I use it more to free up some storage space
>>
A question about MOSFET transistor.
Let's say I have a MOSFET with a maximum Gate Threshold Voltage of 4 V.
Will the transistor manage 5 V to the gate? I'm confused if 4 volts is the maximum the gate can handle, or if 4 volts is the maximum for a switch to happen?
I'm very new to this as you probablt can tell...
>>
>>54223016
Read their terms of service or something.
>>
how can i tell if my old gpu supports 2 monitors? its an x1050 with 2 ports, vga and dual link.any other solultion beside checking with a dvi cable?
>>
Recording vidya with bandicam always results in my audio stuttering for a reason I can't seem to pin down. Any suggestions? At first I thought it was my memory reaching the limit, but it only hits 75% when the glitch happens. It could however be my audio interface drivers not working properly? Help pls

>video of the problem
https://youtu.be/ikOUxJYh69Y
>>
I have a SATA HDD that doesn't show up anywhere, not even bios, is it dead? Is there a way to fix it?
>>
>>54223121
>Any suggestions?
Use OBS
>>
>Boot priority is set to have the disc drive first
>Windows disc is inserted (bootable usb devices don't work)
>Turn the computer on
>Asks me to press a key to boot from the disc drive
>Do that
>Boots from the hdd anyway
What the fuck? I don't have any other devices plugged in that might affect this. What can I do to make it actually boot from the disc drive?
>>
Is there a way I can move my "git signing" from my old computer, to my new one? I've just been using git commit, and I wonder if there's a file or something I need to drag over to my new one to retain the same signature

as you can tell by my question, I'm relatively new to this
>>
>>54223164
Nope, this recording is actually using OBS but the issue is still there in bandicam.
>>
File: 1461275538100.gif (999 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1461275538100.gif
999 KB, 500x281
Whats a good program for wifi info/monitoring on W7 x64?

Also I bought a TP-Link TL-WN722N usb wifi card and its barely picking more APs than my laptops built in card, I knew theyre mediocre but I expected more of it, is it normal its shit?
>>
>>54222869
Anyone?

I think it's a quick reply. I'm just mostly /g/ illiterate and need an answer please.
>>
>>54223163
make sure it has power cable connected properly and it is working, try another sata cable, port, if that does not work, have it worked before? perhaps you need to short some jumper, read about it in manual, if not it might be it is just incompatible, but that would be pretty unusual case, I guess; gl hf
>>
>>54219355
Try removing the lock file
>>
>>54222959
Okay thanks. I wanted to get a cheap server cpu because I wanna run a few servers and virtual machines while doing some gaymin on the side. I'm kinda new to the whole server thing, so I was wondering if a server processor like the amd opteron would have worse performance than mainstream cpus.
>>
>>54223077
I read their list of blocked ports and none of the ones I want to use are on their blocked list.
>>
>>54223163
Yes its probably dead, depending on the age and model there might be a minuscule chance of recovering whatever was in the disk with a logic board swap but theyre a pain in the ass, even if you get the exact same one as your specific model.
>>
>>54220529
bump
>>
Whats a good korean monitor? Can be 2k or 4k
>>
>>54223121
>>54223219
What audio device are you using?
Play with the settings or use different software.

I mean, I had a similar issue but in a widely different environment.

>>54223094
plug them in and see what happens.

>>54223173
AFAIK you need to set the boot device priority, and then set the boot priority for the drives connected to that device separately. Devices as in USB controller, SATA controller etc.
Haven't actually looked into it though I just wank around in the bios until shit work

>>54222594
Anyone can help me with this?
>>
>>54223346
I'm using a sata hdd and an ide disc drive, there aren't any other devices in the computer or a slave attached to the ide cable. I've been able to boot from the disc drive just from setting it as the 1st device before in the past, and it was working just a second ago so I'm not sure why it decided to stop working. Looks like everything is fully plugged in too so it can't be that.
>>
Should I reinstall graphics card drivers when I get a new monitor?
>>
>>54223237
Wireshark? What do you mean by info/monitoring?
>>
>>54223422
No, I mean mostly signal strenght, mac adresses and other details. Free btw.
>>
>>54223403
Make sure your boot disc is working then.
Also check that the disc is not too new for the drive, not all drives support DVD-RW.

>>54223414
Nope.
>>
>>54223346
>What audio device are you using?
>Play with the settings or use different software.
Talking into a mic into a scarlett 2i2. I've messed with the settings as much as possible to far and nothing. I'll keep trying though. Any recommended screen cap programmes?
>>
File: 1347208824869.jpg (6 KB, 200x291) Image search: [Google]
1347208824869.jpg
6 KB, 200x291
im having issues troubleshooting some BSOD related problems.

basically ive been getting a lot of BSODS lately on windows 7. i have not update any drivers appart from my graphicsdriver but i know it isnt the issue. since the card works fine in other pcs with the same driver versions.

my main issue is when the BSOD occurs. the memory dump that occurs. isnt being created on my hard drive so i can not identify the culprit. bsod messages very a lot too and never are the same. i had everything from out of bounds memory to badly executed code.
i ran memtest 86+ on each individual ram stick for 2 hours and nothing came ap so it isnt the ram.
temps of both graphicscard and cpu are always pretty cool. (i5 3570k idle ~35°C load ~60°C, 760gtx 2gb idle ~17°C load ~35-40°C)
i assume it might be an issue with the pagefile. but that is available and managed by the system, i never even touched it. hard drives are all healthy and fragmentation is below 5% for all of them.
it be great if someone could help me out as to why no crash dumps are being created.
i use bluescreenview to check crash dump files btw.
>>
>>54223472
What's strange is that it was working a second ago. I was in the process of installing Windows like not even 15 minutes ago, but something happened and I had to exit out, restart, and try again. But now it's refusing to work.
>>
I already have a T420 and I'm happy with it but it is quite heavy.

I want to get something ultra portable, like a 10-11" netbook.

What's the lowest I can go in terms of specs that lets me use a debloated W7 install?
>>
>>54223557
Probably something with a c2d and 1GB of ram.
>>
If you upgrade a pirated Win7 to Win10 (which I've done), does it generate a genuine key that you can use to reinstall Win10 later?
>>
File: birds-of-brazil-1035669_640.jpg (113 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
birds-of-brazil-1035669_640.jpg
113 KB, 640x480
I had the Twitter account of my blog blocked on the day it was created. Is it normal to happen on Twitter? I was required to give a cellphone number in order to unblock the account. But I don't wanted to give telephone numbers, so I'm sad.
>>
>>54223473
The only screen recording software is simplescreenrecorder.
audio device, as in are you using your GPU's HDMI audio out or the on-board realkek chip.

I had a similarly sounding problem when using the HDMI audio out when my GPU wasn't automatically set to use message signaled interrupions so the audio device and GPU on the same PCIe slot kept interrupting each other.
Happened on a virtual machine though.

>>54223510
Most BSoD's are caused by hardware failure. ESD?

>>54223524
Maybe the install disc tries to boot into the newly installed windows to finish the install?
Wipe the drive or something retarded like that.

>>54223620
My install of 10 in the vm mentioned above magically became geniune without me having to do anything. Haven't checked on if it's become not-geniune though.

>>54223662
This kills the twitter.
>>
Yo im looking for an ad free, lightweight bible app for android thats free. Any suggestions?
>>
trying to watch some 360 vision videos on my galaxy 4 tablet and i have to swipe to move the video instead of moving the tablet... does the motion thing not work on some devices?
>>
>>54223703
Any number of websites accessed through your phone's browser.
>>
This is a pretty common question, but I've been thinking on it for a while now and wanted some feedback:

I wanted to transfer to my university with the friends I made at my community college and get into a software engineering/related computer focused field, but for a multitude of (mostly financial) reasons graduated a few months ago with a humanities degree. I've got a pretty nice but odd job right now where I do minor work for an insurance company with SQL - inner joins and accessing data is the extent of that, data entry, and in-house around-the-office tech support which is mainly troubleshooting Excel spreadsheet formatting and coding.

I wouldn't mind pursuing IT as a career path at this point, so my question is this: would I benefit more from studying for and getting certs or going back to school for IT? If it matters I've got light beginner's understanding of Java and I did a crash course with Learn Python the Hard Way and CodeAcademy's HTML/CSS classes, all of that self-taught, plus two 100 level CS courses; one at my CC and one at university.
>>
>>54223679
>This kills the twitter.
Twitter isn't kill...
>>
>>54223721
Yeah i know about online versions, but i want an offline version thats not a pdf or similar since its not lightweight
>>
>>54223727
IMO, keep with the database route and go DBA or Business Intelligence.

Pair it with something like C# or Java to create basic applications to retrieve and mash up data for visualization purposes.
>>
>>54223705
Can you turn the gyroscope on and off on that thing?
Is your shit even supported? There are differences between gyroscopes.

>>54223731
Don't worry, it'll be soon.
>>
>>54223679
I'm using realkek. Wasn't aware you could output sound through GPUs HDMI. although I'm using an external sound device so I didn't think that affected that?
>>
>>54223741
Just get the free eBook from the Google Play store.

Works with the built-in books app.

You can save for offline viewing.
>>
>>54223758
i have no idea , never really tried any motion stuff with it... i also have an lg g3 phone and it moves the video with motion no problem
>>
File: file.png (43 KB, 400x470) Image search: [Google]
file.png
43 KB, 400x470
>>54223679
by esd i assume you mean shorts or electronic discharges.
as far as i know nothing of the sort is happening.
i take great care of my pc and remove dust every month.
it is a possibilty though.
again. if i had crashdumps that could also tell me about malfuncitoning hardware.
but the memory dump option is enabled in my system. it just doesnt create them for some reason.
when the bsod happens it does prompt a progress up to 100% saying that its dumping physical memory. ive also set it up to automatically restart once the dump is finished.
ive tried both the kernel dump and minidump options but both dont seem to creat a dump file.
pic related.
>>
Integrated graphics question:

Would an i5 6500 with 3.2 Ghz clock (3.6 Ghz turbo single core), 1050 Mhz graphics turbo and 6MB cache run games better than an i3 6320 with 3.9 Ghz clock (no turbo), with 1150 Mhz graphics turbo and 4MB cache?

Assuming games aren't heavily optimized for four cores. Would the higher CPU/GPU clock on the i3 make a difference despite lower cache?
>>
>>54223758
>Don't worry, it'll be soon.
I know they do much shit, but requesting cell phone number, unfortunately, doesn't annonys the userbase...
>>
>>54223758
trying gogle skymap now and i got this message:

Unfortunately your device might not have one of the sensors that sky map needs...then another paragraph about how some devices falesly claim that

i dont know how this could be
>>
This is more of an electronic than stupid question. Can rerouting motherboard traces through cables in a laptops motherboard cause any sort of interference? To explain I had to rewire my screens led backlight traces, its a 12v line, pretty sure cable shielding exists for a reason so I wonder what are the chances of something going bad.
>>
File: 1435497222508.jpg (26 KB, 441x411) Image search: [Google]
1435497222508.jpg
26 KB, 441x411
What's the best software for sharing files with 4-5 people? Dropbox is giving us troubles.

It is for a small business, so I'd apreciate something free.

If it helps right now we're sharing:

472 files in 66 folders
With a total of 44,6MB

Really small size, mostly documents on pdf and excel/spss work.
>>
>>54223945
Google Drive works fine for my purposes.

You get over 10GB for free.
>>
>>54223945
syncthing
>>
>>54223788
Take a RAM stick out and see if the problems disappear.
Airflow can create static as well, that's why you shouldn't wacuum a pc but instead use short bursts of canned or compressed air.

>>54223865
That's it then, your gyroscope is not gyroscope enough.

>>54223871
Some motherboard traces are drawn to be of certain length for timing reasons. Hope that the traces you're rerouting weren't.
Interference I don't know about, but I don't think the motherboard has any sort of shielding to it either so it should be fine in that regard.

>>54223945
ftp or sftp if you want to host your shit yourself.
You probably don't though.
>>
>>54224003
this cant be though... its a fairly new tablet... even my oldest android device could do gyroscope motion with sky map
>>
I'm on W8.1 and it has this "function" where you can click and drag nothing from the corner into whatever and it splits my fucking desktop in half. Worst thing is that whenever I misclick and it happens I have to resize every single fucking window because they stay squished after going back to normal.

Is there any way to stop this from happening?
>>
>>54223970
>>54223996
Noted, thanks.

>>54224003
I would use ftp if my mates weren't completely tech illiterate.

They almost burn me for heresy for wanting to use something else instead of Dropbox.
>>
>>54224022
Yes, classicshell does it.

Man, once you tweak 8 a bit its the best os imo. Just the lack of themes is what sucks
>>
>>54224025
syncthing is pretty easy to use, works pretty much like dropbox, only it's;
- foss
- decentralized (peer-to-peer transfers, no accounts, automatic peer discovery)
- no limits (as you're not using a third party server for storage)
- works in a LAN-only environment (as well as over the internet, of course)
>>
>>54224025
>I would use ftp if my mates weren't completely tech illiterate.
What about a network drive? I assume you've already got backups.
>>
>>54224015
Look at a more detailed spec sheet of the thing to make sure then.
You can look into ways to report it correctly, but I don't know anything about that...

>>54224022
Right click on the taskbar and click properties, there should be related settings there.
You can disable the new navigation shit with classic shell or start8, iirc.
>>
>>54224003
i use canned air to clean.
should have mentioned it along with memtest86+ ive already tried using other ram.
>>
>>54224095
not him, but ftp and similar have the disadvantage of requiring a network connection to access the data, so you can't see/edit things unless you're connected, or, it encourages people to make unmanaged copies, which may become out of sync
>>
>>54223243
FFS, CAN SOMEONE JUST PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY HERE!?
>>
>>54224135
yea that's bad, though the software might be wrong, check your bios to verify (or use a multimeter)
>>
>>54219284
My Windows suddenly decided that it needs activation (8.1 Build 9600). Daz doesn't seem to work properly (i'm not sure I bypassed all of windows security so it can have access to registry and shit, but nvm). What do?
>>
>>54224130
>so you can't see/edit things unless you're connected, or, it encourages people to make unmanaged copies, which may become out of sync
True. We're all connected to a network drive at my workplace and it works out for us for modifying documents on the fly but we're also a 100+ person company, not anon and his squad.
>>
If I wanted something that had the form factor of a Macbook Air, the power of a Thinkpad from 2008 at least, and excellent power management / heat management, also a super key, how much am I going to have to pay, bare minimum?
>>
>>54223679
>Maybe the install disc tries to boot into the newly installed windows to finish the install?
>Wipe the drive or something retarded like that.
So I took out the wireless card and now it looks like it's working. What the hell? Thank you for helping my stupid ass though.
>>
I want to upload a video on a porn site. How do I remove geotagging/exif data from a video recorded on an iPhone?
I have a Windows 7 laptop if I can't do it on my phone.
>>
Good pair of studio monitors for muh gaymz, movies and music (EDM and Metal)
Budget 500 liberty bucks
>>
File: cyTz9JZ.gif (3 MB, 644x472) Image search: [Google]
cyTz9JZ.gif
3 MB, 644x472
>>54219284
What is the point of a dual bios?
>>
Is is possible to connect Deluge to another network ?
I don't have the best bandwith on my rooter, so I'd like to use Deluge with my phone's 4G, and use my private network for everything else.
>>
>>54224173
yea, a central file server is a better choice in certain situations, like working with large datasets, which are only accessed internally

but for syncing up a small amount of data between whatever, whenever, with minimal overhead, you can skip the need for any server and just do it p2p, with each client storing the dataset locally
>>
>>54224233
if you fuck up one, you can boot with the other
>>
>>54224102
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/SM-T237PZWASPR-specs
>>
>>54224233
If you fuck up a BIOS update, instead of having an expensive brick, you can restore the original.
>>
File: niggerchart.png (212 KB, 1411x655) Image search: [Google]
niggerchart.png
212 KB, 1411x655
What is a good free (free beer) flowchart program?
>>
>>54224095
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one doing weekly backups.

>>54224076
I'll try that this week.
>>
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Atom over Sublime?
>>
>>54223945
MEGA gives you free 50GB, with sync client and cryptography. But you can't trust their cryptography prevents them from reading, because everything is proprietary.
>>
>>54224590
> Free
> Build in package manager
> Has some nice packages
> Free
>>
The pirate bay vs kickass which is better?
>>
>>54224671
I'm pretty sure kickass is just a TPB mirror
At least it seems to have better organization
>>
>>54224156
Thanks a lot man.

I checked my startup bios and it gave me three voltages on the PC health thing: 3.3, 5.0 and 12.0 I think, the point being all three were within .1 of the target.

Does this mean the software was bullshitting me or there may be another problem?
>>
>>54223945
>>54224025
Owncloud.
>>
>>54224659
Storage limit isn't really a problem right now or in the near future.

I just want something easy to use, with good syncing and retard proof.

I thought Dropbox was already retard proof but it looks like I was wrong.
>>
File: Wireshark_icon.svg.png (74 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Wireshark_icon.svg.png
74 KB, 480x480
Why should I use Wireshark?
>>
>>54224713
MEGA is easy to use.
I don't know what you mean by "retard proof".
>>
>>54224718
if you want to know what is going on at your network
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.