[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's The Best Ultrabook to Buy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: lenovo-x1-yoga-hero.jpg (75 KB, 622x544) Image search: [Google]
lenovo-x1-yoga-hero.jpg
75 KB, 622x544
Hi /g/,

I'm looking for a very light, powerfull ultrabook to buy:

- i7 processor
- 8 GBs ram (or more)
- 13 to 14 inch screen
- Budget up to $2,500
- Lightweight
- Not manufactured by Apple (Nothing against them, just personal preference)

What do you suggest?
>>
>ultrabook

>what if we make it thinner
>for what purpose?
>it looks cooler, and that means we can can charge more money
>but everyone can easily carry a normal sized laptop, why not use a smaller system board to make room for more battery and ports
>this is a business, bob, we make money, not good computers. just call it "ultra" and tell morons that it's modern and better.
>>
>>54217214

OP here, I travel out of the country every week. Trust me, a normal sized laptop is a huge pain to carry if you're moving with it everywhere.

So, call it ultrabook or lightweight laptop, I don't really mind :)
>>
>>54217250
Do you have low testosterone?
Are you a trap? Get off HRT man, it's not worth it. Just buy one of them fancy anime costumes.
>>
>>54217178
Do you need 2 in 1 capability and do you want a dgpu as well? Define lightweight too.
>>
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-elitebook-1040-g3-notebook-pc-(energy-star)-v2w23ut-aba

only 250 GB SSD but still good as long as you have an external drive
>>
>>54217178
A Dell XPS 13 might be something to look into.
>>
>>54217274
Convertible or detachables would be great!
I don't really care for dgpu, if it's there, that's fine, if not, then no big deal.

Lightweight meaning below 1.5 KGs (3.4 lbs)
>>
>>54217498
IT your budget is $2500 and you want 2 in 1 then surface book your best option.
>>
Go for a X1 Carbon
has
- i7
- 8gb ram
- 13/14in 1080p tn or 1440p ips
- around 1.5-2.5k price range
- lightweight
- 9+hrs of battery life
>>
>>54217498
I was looking for a laptop with requirements similar to you.
ThinkPad X1 carbon/ X1 carbon yoga
ThinkPad Yoga 460
Yoga 900
ThinkPad P40 yoga (dgpu)
Yoga 700(dgpu)
SufaceBook (dgpu)
>>
Op here again,

No thoughts about the Lenovo X1 Yoga?
>>
>>54217528
Surface Book is too iconvenient for constant travel, the hinge is weird and pen is fiddly to maneuver in one hand.
X1 Yoga is pretty good (expensive though), extremely light and thin, pen slides into the base (it's a small pen, not as comfortable as the SB pen but still pretty good) and display is on par
>>
>>54217607
Its gud. You can get more power if you go p40, buts its a different class of machine.
>>
>>54217214
>>ultrabook
>>what if we make it thinner
>>for what purpose?
>>it looks cooler, and that means we can can charge more money
>>but everyone can easily carry a normal sized laptop, why not use a smaller system board to make room for more battery and ports
>>this is a business, bob, we make money, not good computers. just call it "ultra" and tell morons that it's modern and better.

Unfortunately, with the current fucked up state of latops, you are wrong.

Since the smallest screen you can get that has enough vertical space to get work done is 14", you are stuck with lugging around a fuck huge "laptop". So you gotta take the only dimension that is left, to reduce the size, which is to make it thinner.

Shit sucks.

Personally, I have a thinkpad X1, and while it is by miles better than any other shit on the market, it still is quite shit.

I just want an X61 with modern internals and the battery life to go with it.
>>
>>54217635
X1 cant hold a candle against SB. SB has way better pen, battery life, and screen
>>
ASUS Zenbook UX303lb

>I7 5500U
>Nvidia GT940m
>256GB SSD (exchangeable 2,5" slot)
>free miniSATA slot
>8GB dualchannel DDR3, 1 exchangeable slot
>LED IPS Screen with nice brightness and mirroring
>god tier battery (4-5h of working is achievable easily, gaming for 1-2h)

There is no alternative.
>>
I was really interested in the surface book about 4 months ago. I went to try one in a store to realize they aren't really worth $2K+.
Got an X220T instead. Thoroughly pleased with it.
>>
>>54217978
>ASUS Zenbook
Enjoy your cheap consumer trash.
>>
>>54217912
>X1 cant hold a candle against SB
very debatable, matey
>better pen
Wacom digitizers are still the better than N-Trig, X1 also offers 2048 sensitivity levels vs the 1024 on SB. Lenovo also offers a larger pen but that one doesn't slide in
>battery life
SB hits 10hrs, and 2hrs on tablet mode. X1 goes at around 9hrs, not that big of a difference
>screen
display is WAY better on the SB, absolutely beautiful when I saw it in person but like I said it's way too fiddly to use properly (detaching the tablet to reverse it can crash your current programs, screen is uncomfortably heavy).

SB could have been great but it sits at "good" because of a bunch of inconveniences that shouldn't be on such an expensive machine, almost anything a SB can do a SP4 does way better.
The X1 sits as a productivity machine that is mainly a laptop and is secondly a tablet, the keyboard is leaps better than most laptops out there and it carries the TP durability being the top-of-the-kine model without the shitty displays Lenovo tends to produce. Both are incredibly expensive pieces of machinery that I'd never personally buy but have used before
>>
>>54217178
VAIO Z.
>>
>>54217850
An X61 with modern internals you say? I've got precisely the thing for you...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ThinkPad-X61-8GB-RAM-256G-SSD-500G-HDD-OEM-Broadwell-i7-5600U-UNIQUE-X62-/301871694329
>>
>>54217178
>i7 processor
Just get something with a real, non-throttling CPU.
>>
>>54219265
Like what?
>>
>>54217214
this
>>
>>54219278
A non-ultrabook
>>
im planning to get one myself soonish

is it worth waiting for the pascal or polaris shit? when are those coming out?
>>
>>54217178
Why do you need /g/ to help you with your purchasing decision? Are you incapable of entering in "i7 ultrabook with 8gb ram" into jewgle search? And why do you need those specs from an """""ultrabook"""""?
>>
>>54217554
Dat ULV CPU tho...
>>
Chickpad Carbon X1
>>
Macbook 12'
>>
Xps 15 9550 is exactly what you need, I am going to buy one soon. i7 6700hq, 16gb, 512 pcie ssd, 4k screen, only 1400 dell refurbished on ebay
>>
File: csm_intro_7e971461a0.jpg (16 KB, 738x123) Image search: [Google]
csm_intro_7e971461a0.jpg
16 KB, 738x123
>>54217178
ThinkPad T460s
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T460s-Core-i7-WQHD-Ultrabook-Review.161028.0.html
>>
>Only one Dell XPS 13 mention

When did this fall out of favour with /g/? I thought it was the best one out there.
>>
Surface book or XPS 13. Personally I'd buy the XPS just for the 16:9 aspect ratio but if you are fine with the SB's 2:3 rato that is probably better.
>>
>>54217178
Macbook Pro Retina
It's the best laptop on the market. You only have a """"""personal preference"""""" against them because you spend too much time on /g/. The only legitimate complaint is that they are too expensive, but they are in your price range so that's not a problem.

For god sakes don't buy Lenovo. I had one of theirs two years ago and it was shit. I got rid of it a couple months later on eBay.

>>54217214
>>54217271
Why are you on a board about technology if you want people to stop making better technology. That's just retarded.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.