[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/hpg/ - Headphone General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57
File: average hpg poster.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
average hpg poster.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
>Requesting purchase advice:
http://pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>/g/ wiki headphone FAQ:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Link to old thread: >>54196371
>>
first for 5$ fake apple earphones
>>
second for speakers are better
>>
>>54212445
let's start this general off right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ
>>
>Budget
$100 (semi-flexible)

>Location
US

>Source
mostly phone (sometimes through Fiio e17)

>Preferred type of headphone
IEM

>Comfort level
comfortable enough?

>Preferred music
mostly electronic/bassier music
>>
http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2016/04/a-virtual-headphone-listening-test.html

Subkektivists, SBAF and leddit on suicide watch. EQing a decent headphone to sound like any other is not a meme. Fucking Sean Olive does it again.
>>
>>54213064
it's like you didn't even read it. did you just see 'EQ'd headphones to sound like other ones' and posted right away?
>>
>>54213091
What's wrong with that statement?
>>
>>54212445
/hpg/ should be a 2D kawaii grill. you dun fucked up
>>
>>54213125
>More importantly, "Do the actual and virtual headphones sound similar"? To answer this question we performed a validation experiment where listeners evaluated 6 different headphone using both standard and virtual listening methods Listeners gave both preference and spectral balance ratings in both standard and virtual tests. For headphone preference ratings the correlation between standard and virtual test results was r = 0.85. A correlation of 1 would be perfect but 85% agreement is not bad, and hopefully more accurate than headphone ratings based on sighted evaluations.
>Finally, it's important to acknowledge what the virtual headphone method doesn't capture: 1) non-minimum phase effects (mostly occurring at higher frequencies) and 2) non-linear distortions that are level-dependent. The effect of these two variables on virtual headphone test method have been recently tested experimentally and will be the topic of a future blog posting. Stay tuned.
>>
ok i've finally narrowed it down to two

Sennheiser Momentum On ear headphones for 50 dollars

or

audiotechnica m40x's for reg 80 dollar price.

anyone have experience with either? not sure if I'll like the on ear headphones but it's a pretty good deal
>>
>>54213126
boycott the thread and make your own then anon :^)
>>
>>54213158
That's very high correlation to me considering ergonomic factors were also part of it. The bulk of the correlation clearly relates to FR.
>>
>>54213064
>Sean Olive does it again.
It's old news. The topics there have been posted about before in these threads years ago, the actual articles themselves posted in these threads before as well.
>>
>>54213382
There has been recent work to push up the equalisation accuracy even further, which is probably why he posted a new article. Still a better read than any subjective review.
>>
this might be a stupid question, but I just ordered a pair of DT880's. It's my first time buying anything "higher end". I want to get an amp for it. Can I just buy an o2 amp or do I absolutely need an external DAC aswell? Doesn't my computer act as a DAC already?
>>
>>54213487
your computer will have a an amp for the headphone output as well.
>>
>>54213445
>There has been recent work to push up the equalisation accuracy even further, which is probably why he posted a new article
Several such articles and proposed solutions too have been posted here, from Sean Olive even. It's not like the problems are unknowns or only recently identified.

>Still a better read than any subjective review.
Worthless drivel. Surely you can serve an interest in audio better than that garbage.
>>
>>54213033
Shure SE215 or RHA MA750
>>
>Budget
~$400

>Location
US

>Source
Headphone jack of an old kenwood receiver, eventually maybe a portable headphone amp

Full-sized

>Open or closed
Open

>Comfort level
Comfortable enough

>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral-ish, not excessively colored

>Preferred music
Little bit of everything, but not a ton of bass

>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD555, Sony MDR-V6

I'm leaning towards the Fostex TH-X00, whenever the original hits massdrop again.

While they'll be staying in my apartment, I'm also going to be shallow and demand something more interesting looking than black plastic on black plastic.
>>
>>54213091
There is one idiot who lurks HPG that posts from that blog and constantly misreads what he is citing.
>>
>>54213781
>I'm leaning towards the Fostex TH-X00
>Open
Pick one.
>>
>>54213781
HD600/650
>>
File: With the Jews You win.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
With the Jews You win.jpg
77 KB, 1280x720
CX215s are they worth the money?
>>
>>54213126
Honestly just a picture of a pair of headphones is fine too but yeah OP fucked up by posting a 3D person, that too such a disgusting whore.
>>
File: IMG_20160314_144246000.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160314_144246000.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>54213302
>anyone have experience with either?
I've had experience listening to the momentum1 on-ears before and they sound okay but it's very small. mdr v6 would be another alternative to the m40x but I don't have experience with either of those two.

For $50 you could get tascam th-02s, hm5 pads and a kz ed9 earphone. $59 you could get ety mk5 ear dildo earphones which sound really great when stepping down from hd800s.
>>
>>54213857
>Filename
>>
>>54213798
I thought they were open, I guess not. I don't know if I have that much of a preference.

>>54213820
How's the build quality? I've had a lot of problems with cracking on cheaper Sennheisers from normal usage
>>
File: 00039412.jpg (40 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
00039412.jpg
40 KB, 640x480
What is the best headphones for listening to real music?
>>
>>54214046
sennheiser he1060
>>
just won the lottery lol, what headphones should I buy? Looking at the audeeze they look sick. what amp should i get. Much love
>>
>>54213992
>How's the build quality?
There are several who lurk hpg who have had them for several years without a problem other than the initial clamp force.
>>
>>54214174
Sennheiser Orpheus
>>
File: 1461334246177.png (626 KB, 586x788) Image search: [Google]
1461334246177.png
626 KB, 586x788
>>54214174
HE1000 and 430HAD of course
>>
>>54213738
I've seen nothing directly relevant from the last year I've lurked in /hpg/.

Also, if you read the article, they built a new coupler to better simulate leakage. That counts for a significant update in my view.
>>
>>54214373
Too bad for you. You should look through the wiki carefully, there are papers linked.

That coupler was in the pinna analysis performed by Todd Welti [Improved Measurement of Leakage Effects] and reused in non-linearity testing with Listen Inc. [The Correlation between Distortion Audibility and Listener Preference in Headphones].

G.R.A.S. had mentioned their own modified version of a pinna along a somewhat similar vein, if you had seen their presentation on headphone measurements.
>>
>Budget
~$150 USD. Somewhat flexible.
>Location
US.
>Source
Macbook Pro.
Full sized over-ear.
>Open or closed
Closed. I'd like a headphone with good isolation, both in terms of preventing my sound from leaking and blocking out surrounding noise.
>Comfort level
Must be very comfy. I intend to wear them for very long periods. It'd be nice if they were comfortable enough to lay down on too. I have a large head so they can't be too tight.
>Preferred music
Usually a mix of jpop and soundtracks.
>Past headphones
I currently have a pair of JVC HARX900s, which are alright, but they're definitely too bulky, and I'd like something with better sound quality.

Thanks guys.
>>
So, I need a decent way to make my mic and headphones go through USB, are external sound cards like http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ any good?
>>
>>54215737
Get an external DAC/amp and a desk mic
>>
>>54215737
It will sound much the same as your onboard if you're not too fussed about quality. Possibly with his hum or distortion.

If you're an audiophile and you want tiptop performance you'll be sorely disappointed.
>>
new marketing strategy for cheap headphones that sounds just as good as $2000 headphones:

>good speakers are cheap as fuck
>brand your company as a company that specializes in "micro-speakers" and "nano-speakers" but really they're headphones and IEMs respectively
>sell at an affordable cost
>the headphones are really good
>this completely wrecking the headphone economy. Forcing competitors to lower their prices to make their products more appealing.
>headphone prices plummet and become very affordable as more and more people just starts referring to headphones as tiny speakers and wondering why they have to pay a shit ton of money for tiny speakers when they can use less money to buy huge ones that are just as good.
>>
>>54215858
You are probably autistic.
>>
>Location
Australia
>Budget
$500-600 AU
>Source
Yamaha UR22mkii
>Size
Full
>open or closed
Closed
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral as possible
>Listening
Almost anything really
>What are you looking to upgrade
I want something that's as neutral as possible. I've been looking around and it seems like the k550 almost fits the bill for well under my budget, but then I've heard it just doesn't have the detail of the hp50 or pm3. My confusion arises when I then find out those headphones are supposed to be significantly more coloured except for a spike in the upper midrange and some "artificial" sounding treble on the k550. Whatever the fuck that actually means it doesn't sound good.

Then I hear the focal spirit line isn't as detailed as the oppos, but that could just mean the upper mid and treble enhancement that other reviews have talked about. Why don't you people use terminology that makes some fucking sense and has a logical cohesion to it?

Basically is there a good closed headphone that I can use to record tracks and listen to music/game on that's neutral, and under $600 au? I'll give anything a shot.
>>
>>54216065
PM3 or MSR7.
MSR7 can be considered bright, PM3 lacks a bit of treble extension. Your preference.

Both are available at Minidisc.
>>
>>54216065
TH-X00. Has a bit of a tilt toward the low-end (similar to a better extended HD650).
>>
>>54212476
going to a real live concert hall is better
>>
File: El Chapo likes headphones.gif (2 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
El Chapo likes headphones.gif
2 MB, 480x360
>>54213126
Dang, i was too late too post el magnificent Chapo reacting to headphones with much more class than Tyll.
>>
File: hpg.webm (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
hpg.webm
2 MB, 480x270
Is there anything worth picking up from Massdrop regarding IEM's?

Up to 50$
>>
>>54216725
>>54216859
kek, it's like looking at total opposites.
>>
File: ttpod t1e.jpg (56 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
ttpod t1e.jpg
56 KB, 800x800
just got the TTPOD T1E, one of the more frequently recommended cheap IEMs.
they're damn good. I prefer the sound of the piston 3 a bit more since these have a slight sibilance without eq but the isolation is much better than the piston and they sound just as detailed. balance is good, they're not aggressively v-shaped or bassy like a lot of IEMs, though mids could be better. comfort is better than you would expect considering how bulky the housing is, but most of it sticks out of your ear without touching it. packaging is as good as the piston 3, so apple level, but it comes with even more tips (plain silicone and some fancy ones with colored bores and spirals in the silicone) as well as a little drawstring bag and a shirt clip. no smartphone controls though.

tl;dr: if you want isolation get these, if not get the piston.

if I ever make a cheap IEM guide I'll add them but I want to try some KZ first.
>>
So I'm about to EQ, but the wiki says I'm not supposed to boost, only cut because of clipping for preamps, but I don't own one.

I'm assuming my computer already has a preamp built in, but am I really gonna get clipping from boosting regardless?
>>
File: 1459662634289.jpg (30 KB, 350x358) Image search: [Google]
1459662634289.jpg
30 KB, 350x358
>>54216859
just get piston iii
you fucking autist
>>
http://www.techspot.com/bestof/headphones/

Does /g/ agree?
>>
File: 1326490240755.jpg (43 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1326490240755.jpg
43 KB, 400x400
>>54213863
>>54213302
I have they m40x and the v6, love both but neither are really suitable for portable use, though if you had to the m40x would be better. momentum is strongly tilted towards warm, with a good amount of upper mids and high rolled off. comfort it pretty crap like most on-ears. if those are the two you can get, get the m40x. I use srh-840 pads on mine and they improve the comfort.

>>54217265
I think you're reading it wrong, it has nothing to do with clipping on a hardware preamp, you just want to turn down your software preamp inside the eq so that it is below your maximum boost. this is how you prevent clipping. IE, if you want to leave everything flat but have a bass boost with a 5db peak, lower the preamp by at least 5db. lower isn't better, just as long as it's low enough so that your overall boost is not above the preamp level. so eq as you like, then find your highest boost, and then lower the eq preamp below that level.
>>
File: Capture.png (16 KB, 503x216) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
16 KB, 503x216
>>54217317
smuganimegirl.png

Opinion discarded
>>
My IEMs sound like doodoo if I use the foam tips they came with compared to the regular silicone tips, the lower frequencies are incredibly hollow, boomy and sharp, but they fit better in my ears than the silicone tips.

Is that a problem with the foam tips or am I just a dumbass who doesn't know how to use them properly? Are there different kind of foam tips that are better that I should buy?
>>
>>54217389
Foamies have a tendency to emphasize the bottom. I'm surprised it is that much different though. Maybe you could try bi- or tri-flange tips.
>>
>>54217347
Aren't the regular m50's better than the m50x's anyway

I think I read that in one of these threads.
>>
File: 1400347023768.jpg (61 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
1400347023768.jpg
61 KB, 500x496
>>54217347
>everything about that screenshot
>>
File: 1448990445954.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
1448990445954.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>54217317
wrong about everything but the qc25

>>54213781
hd600 or he400i

>>54213835
no

>>54215489
xpt-100/hm5

>>54215858
so you're just going to re-brand it as "speakers"? sorry but that's been a thing since the early days of headphones.

>>54217389
depends. "thick" foam tips of the material you see in earplugs tend to boost bass and isolate more which can be good or bad depending. more airy, foamy tips like comply don't effect the sound as much but the isolation is worse and they expand quicker, so they can be harder to get in the ear. I'm generalizing of course, but they tend to fall into those two categories. you could try different sizes/shapes of silicone or foam, or try hybrid tips, but if you don't like the feel of silicone you'll still dislike those.
>>
>>54216252
How bright are the MSR7 and PM3?
>>
>>54217497
MSR7 can get annoying with some recordings, PM3 is not bright at all.
>>
>>54217483
WTF, over? Is that a grado with a v6 headband and some DIY wooden enclosures?
>>
>>54217438
>>54217483
Yup, turns out that I was a dumbass. I had them pushed all the way in to the base of the headphone.

>but if you don't like the feel of silicone you'll still dislike those.

I prefer the feel of silicone, it's just that they fall out of my ears too easily. I'm experimenting with the different sizes my headphones came with right now to see if I find some that fits better.
>>
File: audio technica ART.jpg (543 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
audio technica ART.jpg
543 KB, 1600x1200
>>54217595
>Is that a grado with a v6 headband and some DIY wooden enclosures?
yes. some anon made it. kind of a waste to put so much effort into a not so great base headphone but then most gradofags are like that.

>>54217600
try hybrids then, they have some foam inside the silicone, around the bore which in theory gives a tighter fit that also contours to your ear canal better than just silicone which pushes out equally in all directions. you could try double or triple-flange too but I find them uncomfortable with how deep you need to insert them.
>>
>>54217510
Thanks. I asked for warm/bassy headphones here and someone recommended the MSR7 to me.
>>
>>54217684
Some enthusiast try to tune their Honda Civic and Ford Mustang as well.
>>
File: topdoge.jpg (49 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
topdoge.jpg
49 KB, 640x480
>>54217315
Calm down you fucking nigger
>>
>>54217717
msr7 is kind of the opposite of warm. they're a bit cold and bright sounding, but just a bit. if you can afford a pm3 get that, but if you want something warm close to msr7 price the hp50 is really good.
>>
>>54217483
>xpt-100/hm5
Awesome, thanks.
>>
so i am using a bike and working out on the daily, the cable of my earphones are breaking the whole time because of the extensive use. Do you guys have some tips for some good earphones that can withstand extensive use or should i buy bluetooth earphones. my budget is 100$
>>
>>54217806
get something with an mmcx connector or similar so you can replace the cable. I just have a shitton of cheap IEMs so if one breaks I just use another. considering an se215 plus some extra cables is probably going to be $150-200 I can buy like 50 hje-120k for that price.
>>
>>54217831
thanks dude, i am looking at reviews now, i am also a music enthousiast so good sound quality is a must
>>
>>54212386
sorry for the late reply. i went to bed.
you'll have to rephrase your question and ask exactly what you want to know. it seems like you're expecting a similar blog post from me when you leave it ambiguous like that. or maybe you could just answer it yourself.
>>
how long can you play clipped distorted audio before your headphones gets damaged?

accidentally used an AU setting while mixing that fucks up my audio for some fucking reason, and it played a preset that's basically the "fuck me up" setting and fucks up the audio and makes it gradually louder.

The audio clipped and I shut it off after a second cause my ears were in fucking pain.

I'm using an HE-560. Do planars easily get damaged through clipped distorted audio?
>>
>>54217867
>i am also a music enthousiast so good sound quality is a must

honestly there is no more severe value drop off than in IEMs. get past $100 and you paying a lot for very little improvement, and there are many IEMs between 7-50 bucks that puch into the $100+ territory. plus I think it's kind of pointless to spend a lot on IEMs since you can easily break/lose them and they will always have a more confined, inside the head sound.
>>
>>54217904
>how long can you play clipped distorted audio before your headphones gets damaged?

forever, as long as it's not actually louder and/or you're overloading the headphone with current.
>>
>>54217904
>how long can you play clipped distorted audio before your headphones gets damaged?
As long as you want. That doesn't damage the headphones as nasty as they might sound to your ear. Only crazy amounts amplification could damage them but we are talking about levels higher than probably any headphone output even allows.
>>
>>54212445
I bought the hd600's last night whilst half drunk in the hope that they'd be better than my 702's and possibly be my end game headphones.

Convince me to press the cancel button on amazon. I still have time.
>>
>>54213487
You might as well buy the fiio e10k. It's cheap and works as an amp and dac.
>>
>>54218121
>overloading the headphone with current

stupid question, but the current doesn't magically increase when you up the volume on, say, an mp3 player or your computer right
>>
>>54218147
Sorry I meant 650..
>>
>Budget
$100-180NZD ($70-$120 USD)
>Location
New Zealand
>Source
Motherboard audio
Over Ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
8 hours plus
>Preferred tonal balance
Flat
>Preferred music
Rock/Metal, Classical, Pop, Keygen (lol)
>Past headphones
Had MDR-V6, but they broke due to uncontrolled circumstances.
Currently using PortaPros, way to much bass, have to use the 'Soft' eq preset.
>>
>>54218327
XPT100
>Keygen
Isn't that just EDM?
>>
>>54218327
Add these to the cheap iem guide too. I marked the ones I don't have yet.
kz ed3, ed9, hds1*
lg quadbeat 3 tuned by akg*
monoprice 8320
panasonic hje120
rock zircon*

I feel that the kz ed9, lg qb3 and rock zircon easily beats any xiaomi earphone without using eq.
>>
>>54218549
Mistake. I was meant to link >>54217181
>>
>>54217874
How would the headphone be heard? What would be the result and why?
>>
>>54217684
Where do you get hybrids? I've looked for them but they seem to be pretty hard to find.
>>
>>54218596
>How would the headphone be heard?
if what? if the headphone has a similar state slope response to the speaker without the reverb?
i don't know and i don't really care. it's an uninteresting hypothetical question.
>>
Budget: $200 at most if they're really good, I'd prefer to stay in the $0-$150 range though

>Location

Canada

>Source

Phone and computer

Full sized

>Open or closed

Closed

>Comfort level

Fairly comfortable, will sacrifice comfort for sound quality

>Preferred tonal balance

Idk

>Preferred music

I mainly listen to rock and rap

>Past headphones

I'm currently using the Sennheiser HD 201s, and while I like the sound quality they're not loud enough. I listen to music in public a lot (on the bus, etc) so I need my headphones to be able to push out a lot of high quality sound.
>>
>>54217449
I had m50x's and they were handily bested by dt150's which are rather coloured and boomy themselves.

They're slightly bass heavy headphones that obscure a lot of detail with uneven response unless EQ'd correctly. Great for tracking though because they are pretty clear in the midrange, it's boosted enough so it ought to be clear.
>>
>>54218147
You're paying the same amount or less for a slight increase, when if you wait a few months and buy the hd800/S instead, you can have your end game headphones in one go, instead of convincing yourself the next cheap pair you buy are your "end game" then secretly regretting it despite enjoying the new headphones. It will be months before you realise you made a huge mistake wasting that money when you were drunk. Stop it now.
>>
>>54218828
Your headphones should work from a smart phone. If they aren't getting loud enough, or distorting when they are loud enough then it's probably a matter of amplification. Somehow you've got the one phone on the market that can't drive headphones. Congrats.

Sennheiser hd250 ii
Audio Technica ATH-M40x
>>
>>54219010
HD 800S measure worse than HD 600
>>
>>54219010
Try owning both HD600 and HD800. I keep coming back and using the HD600 more.
>>
>>54219010
m8 the hd800 are a fucking grand, i'd rather buy speakers at that kind of money.

And I meant to say hd650 anyway, not the 600. I cant stand the look of the hd600.
>>
>>54219043
I use a nexus 6, I've looked up reviews for the 201s and most of them say that the headphones just aren't very loud/lack power. I'll check out your recommendations though
>>
>>54219273
Same. I also have HD201 and find it lacks volume too. That's why in Headroom online measurements it looks like that but in Innerfidelity measurements it was used on an amp. I have a HD201 and if I fiddle around with eq it needs the JDS Labs O2+ODAC amp cranked past 12 o'clock or more to be as loud as a HD600.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (79 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
79 KB, 1280x720
>Budget
~80€/85$
>Location
Germany
>Source
Regular motherboard phone jack
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Should be large enough that the borders won't press on my ears constantly
>Preferred tonal balance
V-Shaped
>Past headphones
Pic related - I know they look like shit and >gamer, but they were good enough for the price, extremely comfortable and had an alright mic. They fell apart a few days ago though and I need something to play video games with. I'll get a seperate mic - any recommendations for ones that I can just velcro on headphones?
>>
File: 1316372662626.png (309 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1316372662626.png
309 KB, 1280x1024
>>54219766
Takstar HI 2050
>>
K702 or K701 if I only have a fiio e10?
>>
>>54219907
K612
>>
File: ss (2016-04-25 at 04.06.39).jpg (786 KB, 1617x1600) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-04-25 at 04.06.39).jpg
786 KB, 1617x1600
>>54219890
That's exactly the picture I was looking for, thanks.
The headphones seem pretty spot on as well, but they only ship out of the US at a reasonable price (see picture). Does anyone have experience on oversea shipping of these kinds of electronics?
>>
just ordered beyerdynamic DT880 premium 250ohm for 250$ canadian (which is a great deal usually they retail for much more here in canada). How did I do? I'm upgrading from HD558's.

Also, should I invest in a better amp/dac (o2/odac) or should I just buy the cheaper fiio e10k?
>>
>>54220028 here, they actually ship it from the UK for 60€. I'll just order it from there - thanks for the suggestion!
>>
>>54219212
So buy speakers. It's fine if the shitposters want to niggle about whichever headphone I happened to pick as "end game" not happening to be their idea of ideal audio quality, so long as you understand that you can do better than just buying things because you're bored.
>>
>>54220278
>just ordered beyerdynamic DT880 premium 250ohm for 250$ canadian (which is a great deal usually they retail for much more here in canada). How did I do? I'm upgrading from HD558's.
>Also, should I invest in a better amp/dac (o2/odac) or should I just buy the cheaper fiio e10k?

You really should have got the 600ohm version.

The second part all depends on what your current source/amp combo is.
>>
Between the DT 990 and DT 770, which ones are flatter and more "accurate"? I know that one is closed and the other is open. They're similarly priced and I'm looking for new headphones for music production.
>>
>>54220653
I read that there's not a big difference, just a bit more bass on the 600 ohm? People say it's negligible. But it requires a much better amp. I'd rather have the 250 ohm version.

My current source is just my computer's onboard. That's why I want to get an external amp/dac. Debating between the o2/odac or the fiio e10k. The o2/odac is just so expensive, but for some reason I want it.
>>
>>54220760
>just a bit more bass
>People say it's negligible

>for some reason I want it.
>I'd rather have the 250 ohm version.

There's your problem. You started listening to the post rationalisations of people who didn't read up on their purchase and decided that they don't need better frequency response from a headphone designed to provide better freuqency response.

Just stop rushing into it and you'll make it much easier for yourself. In fact I am almost sure you're the same canadian guy asking about the e10k in every thread and ignoring every time someone tells you that you don't need an o2 for even the 600 ohm. Then you go and buy the 250 ohm version and want the more expensive amp that you don't need to get the better sound for the headphone you didn't buy.

What the fuck are you even doing?
>>
>>54220744
DT880 600 ohm. DT770 is V shaped, so is dt990. DT880 is flatter than either and around the same cost as the 990 depending on where you are.
>>
>>54220868
I'm cancelling the order and buying the 600 ohm, they are the same price on the website I'm ordering from, I'm retarded. Also will buy a fiio e10k.
>>
File: 41fmDWof7cL._SY355_.jpg (13 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
41fmDWof7cL._SY355_.jpg
13 KB, 355x355
Thinking about buying the Sony XB950, seeing as theyre extra bass, does somebody have experience with non-bass centred music on headphones like these or these specifically?
Pic Related, it's them
>>
>>54220945
Reviews say that despite being very bass centric they are still really clear in other departments especially compared to nigger beats
>>
>>54220942
Sorry for being so rude, but it had to be pointed out to you that your decision making was being compromised.

I hope you enjoy your headphones, they are great things those. Also don't be worried if your e10k doesn't blast your ears off at max volume, if sound is audible and the songs are playing it's doing its job.
>>
>>54221026
My only doubt is picking up these or a pair of audio technica in the same price range.
what do?
>>
>>54221026
>>54220945
And yet I'm finding the opposite is true of them. When in doubt don't go with the headphones that offer "EXTRA BASS WUBDUBZ" and just pick something that has tight and full bass, not nigger bass.
>>
>>54221108
Which audio technica model? It would help if you would read the OP and the pastebin dedicated to exactly your situation.

>What situation?

You like music and listening to it on headphones, and would like to part with some of your hard earned/jewscammed money to purchase a pair of decent quality headphones.

Read the pastebin.
>>
>>54221108
Unless you seriously want the bass and enjoy that punchy sound then go for the Audio Technica, though the Sony have a serious advantage on the comfort side of things, a lot of their headsets are like pillows

I have a pair of MDR-XB500 which your posted is the successor of, listened to alot of weeb orchestra like Gundam soundtracks, and is really enjoyable with this headset, so if mine is anything to go from maybe you'll like it too

What do you listen to? Again only if bass is something you like go for the Sony, it will do the rest of things good too, but Audio Technica (depending on the set but I'm guessing M50) will do that specific part better
>>
>>54220639
Everyone has a limit,£230 is a crazy price for me to pay so there's no way i'd be willing to spend a grand on headphones or speakers.

The 650's will arrive tomorrow and if i'm not impressed i'll send em back for free and keep my 702 and just accept there's nothing clearly better at a reasonable price. I do like my current setup, i'm just curious about the 650 and nothing else really.
>>
>>54221184
>>54221026
When did /g/ start recommending literal nigger bass canons?
>>
File: chairman.jpg (57 KB, 525x503) Image search: [Google]
chairman.jpg
57 KB, 525x503
>>54221242
When people are asking for it, if someone wants bass why give them flat neutral sound that will just disappoint them?

Keep in mind not everyone chases that perfect accurate sound
>>
>>54221231
What is it that makes you curious about the 650? You're right about the diminishing returns past about the price point you've already hit.
>>
>>54221263
Certainly not. I would have thought the better response, however, would be to tell the guy making the request to go to his local shop and try out a pair of "bass boost" or "extra bass" headphones, and try them against something hpg knows has good bass.

It's the best way to make sure he doesn't waste his money thinking it's the only way to get headphones that will reproduce low frequencies adequately..
>>
>>54221266
I'm not him but that anon said that he didn't like the HD600's paint maybe.
>>
>>54221184
The bass is not something I crave, but I think it's nice.
Also I need the comfort as I'll most likely be wearing it for hours and hours straight.

>What do you listen to?
From classical to metal, pretty much anything but country and most pop desu.
for Rap and EDM-like thingsI suppose it would do the job very well
but I sort of doubt(ed) it's performace in genres like punk/rock/metal and classical music.

>>54221183
I know how the pastebin works, but I thought I that my decision had pretty much already boiled down to the Audio Technica M50 or the Sony XB950

However Ill dot he pastebin soon then, gotta eat first
>>
>>54220945
Jesus. Looking at graphs for this series of headphones and it looks like someone drew a line graph over a centrefold in a magazine.

Are you sure they're your only option?
>>
>>54221308
Didn't think of telling him to go to a shop, that's definitely a good idea, hope the guy reads that

But I did mention twice that unless the bass very specifically was what he was looking for then he should just go for the Audio Technicas so it's not like I was 100% biased towards the bass either
>>
File: dt770.jpg (27 KB, 472x600) Image search: [Google]
dt770.jpg
27 KB, 472x600
Is there a better headset?
>>
>>54221371
>but I sort of doubt(ed) it's performace in genres like punk/rock/metal and classical music.
But you can on the other hand expect the m50 to reproduce those instruments much more faithfully.

I would recommend not going for the m50x, the bass is slightly boosted which seems to be your kind of thing, but it's at the expense of other areas of the sound and to the headphones' detriment.
>>
>>54221403
>But I did mention twice that unless the bass very specifically was what he was looking for then he should just go for the Audio Technicas so it's not like I was 100% biased towards the bass either
Not blaming you, but I don't think you explained it well enough to him that the bass boost will obscure other areas of the sound. It's fine though I think he's not just using them for EDM/rap and actually would benefit from something different.
>>
>>54221266
I would be interested in the 600 as well but I don't like the colour of them. Basically they're a classic headphone that seemed to be regarded as the best before you get to hifimans etc etc and they just happen to be around the maximum price i'm willing to pay
>>
>>54221411
An actual headset? Like the mmx300 that is basically a dt770 with a mic?

Is this inception?
>>
>>54221465
>The best before you get to _X_

Not really no. They're generally regarded as good by everyone who isn't a shitposter because they are good headphones. Not just when compared to something that costs more.

If you're worried about the colour they're actually not bright blue if that's how they appear in whatever promotional material you've read.
>>
>>54212445
Budget - I'm willing to spend up to $150, but I'd prefer to stay around $100 and below

Location - US-midwest

Source - Mostly my iPhone and computer, but I'd also like to start getting into music production

Preferred type of headphone - Full sized Over Ear

Open or closed (Skip if you want IEMs.) - Closed would be preferable, I want to be able to focus in a library setting

Comfort level - As comfortable as possible, I'm a wussy who returns earbuds within 1 day if they hurt my ear

Also, is this a good deal?
https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-ath-m50x-professional-studio-monitor-headphones
I've done minimal research, and found pairs that I like, and when I asked someone who knew what they were talking about, they said that this is a similar product to what I want
I guess I'd prefer this if someone okays it
>>
>>54221465
I have a HD600 and the blue spotty paint you see in promotional pics are not noticeable IRL that's because they used a camera flash. I agree with >>54221491 's post. You're not going to even notice the paintwork that badly and the HD650 might sound even more veiled.
>>
>>54221472

;_;
>>
>>54221491
Iv'e seen them enough to know that I don't like a retro marble look, the 650s are very good looking imo.

Have you tried both?, which do you prefer?. If i don't love the 650's I could possibly try the 600's after, amazon is got tier with returns, I don't even have to leave my house to return shit.
>>
>>54221538
>HD650 might sound even more veiled.

A few peple are saying that the hd650 had a revision around 2007 and that it no longer has a veil?. I wouldn't know.
>>
/G/uys what do you recommend for a budget of 70$
>to be used with phone most of the time
>I listen to pretty much everything
>are available in Europe
>>
>>54221602
Takstar 2050, good sound, comfortable and they look nice.
>>
Is Sony good for <100$?
>>
>>54221549
Beyer yet, I can go you one beyer, you'd be beyer off looking for these beyerboys:

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/intercom-broadcast-and-tv/headsets-for-moderators-and-commentators.html

There are also some variants that use the dt150 as a base model instead of the dt100/250/770, both with cardioid and hypercardioid microphones.

If you're after something for gaming check out the dt 234 pro.
>>
>>54221538
This could happen. There does appear to be a slight dip in response past 5khz compared to the hd600.

>>54221553
I have not had the pleasure of hearing the hd650 as of yet. I'm actually looking to buy a pair myself. Funnily enough to side grade from k712's to see if the sound is any better than the hd600 that I have heard. I only responded in the first place cause you said hd600, and I've tried not to give subjective impressions of a can I haven't heard. If I did do so I apologise for misleading.

I would recommend the hd600 as a sidegrade, but I can't say for sure about the 650 without basing my opinion on reviews and measurements, which could all be completely fucking wrong to my ears when I finally hear them.

I would reiterate what the other anon said but the hd6/x family from sennheiser apparently has a much different sound to their flagship cans that stays consistent in tone down to about the 558 then it starts to get a bit thin? Can anyone confirm? So basically go for it if you want the 650. Nobody is stopping you. Just didn't want you to make your decision based off of some sketchy image impressions when you'll be wearing them at home by yourself or with family anyway.
>>
>>54221676
MDR-7506 yes. Don't pay attention to the brand.
>>
>>54221676
That depends entirely on the model, and you reading the pastebin.

We need more information and it's right there in the OP how to provide it.
>>
>>54221812
For reference the reason I say that is that I've heard the 518 and it was thin on bass and mids somehow, but I was told that the 558 doesn't have that problem when I auditioned them.
>>
>>54221812
Yeah no problem m8, I actually bought them last night so they will be here on wednesday anyway, looking forward to it but i'm also ready to be disappointed and send them back. Going back to the 702's wont be a problem for me.
>>
File: IMG-20160425-WA0023.jpg (27 KB, 751x760) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160425-WA0023.jpg
27 KB, 751x760
>>54221836
I'm talking about MDR XD 450
>pic related
>>
>>54221901
I got my k712 after trying the hd600. They didn't wow me as much as the 600 I tried, and the k712 come from a family of cans known for their first impressions on listening.

Whatever fucks your corpse yeah?
>>
>Budget
Endgame.
>Location
America
>Source
Fiio e10k
Full sized.
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
I will be wearing them all day so they should be pretty comfy but I don't want to compromise too much on the sound quality either
>Preferred tonal balance
Warm/bassy
>Preferred music
Mostly just rock and anime/vocaloid stuff

No memes please. The last time I asked someone recommended me the MSR7 which I was just about to buy before I found out that they're super bright and not warm or bassy at all.
>>
>>54221953
anon those are xB450's

http://www.sony.co.in/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-xb450

What the other guy was asking for is the same response you'll get - sure they're going to be bassy, but probably at the cost of some detail in the rest of the spectrum.
>boomy
>lacks definition
>obscures detail

Nigger bass isn't just a meme. It's what happens when you believe the marketing surrounding headphones needing a bass boost to produce low frequencies audibly.
>>
>>54221451
>>54221403
>>54221371
>>54221308
thanks, Ill go visit an audio shop this week, but for suggestions as to what might be better ideas Ill do the copy-pasta below

>>54221373
nope not my only option

--The Pastebin
>Budget
80-140 Europoops which would be about the same range in the curent economics, right?

>Location
Netherlands, Europe

>Source
Mostly Phone (XPeria Z3+ volcano-phone :( ), but PC and other sources aswell

Looking for headphones

>Open or closed
Closed, not a must, but I really prefer closed

>Comfort level
Have to be wearable for a long long time without hurting (5+ hours easily), so light would be nice but not necessary.

>Preferred tonal balance/ Preferred music
Warm/Bassy, I guess, then again I listen to a very wide range of genres like stated before somewhere, EDM to classical to punk/rock/metal, but bass is nice imo

>Past headphones
currently using the Razer Kraken as I have no other headphones, I am aware it is a headset, only choice rn though. They do a great job at reducing noise, that's a must
Philips SHB7000-series-something which I broke, they were light and comfortable, also cheap, I got them bc they were on sale, yes, they are BT, yes BT is frowned upon, sorry.

that's that.
>>
>>54222283
Oppo PM-3
>>
>>54222283
Endgame?

Mrspeakers Ether C

Bassy?

Doesn't really match with the endgame requirement but:

dt1770
>>
>>54222353
BT is only frowned upon if you recommend it without someone asking for it specifically.

Anyway:

Beyerdynamic dt770

Get them from amazon.de for 130 yorups
>>
File: response.png (320 KB, 750x838) Image search: [Google]
response.png
320 KB, 750x838
Can you help me /hpg/ users?

I'm trying to buy some OEM IEM speakers, and have the frequency response charts of two of them.

Which one is better and why?

Thanks
>>
>>54222488
I tought everybody disliked it in general bc it reduces the audio quality
>>
>>54222305
>sony.co.in
pajeet?
>>
>>54222488
>>54222522

thanks though, Ill check them out :)
>>
>>54222490
top is better.
more accurate in the upper mids and doesn't have a nasty treble spike.
i assume both charts are uncompensated.
>>
>>54222522
Definitely. But we're not going to tell you that you don't need blutooth when you know how you like to listen to music while biking/lifting/running/spinning on a dragon dildo.
>>
>>54222566
I thought so, because they use a unique boron carbide diagraphm.

What about these speakers? They are more flat.
>>
>>54222527
I promise you sair that I am from _YOUr SITY HEAR_

desu I just googled xd450 like a mong and it corrected me.

that's not too bad, I was googling a hp laptop to look at the screen and the only hp site that had its specs was .nl and I only speak/read english

thanks google
>>
>>54222577
in that case, I really like
>spinning on a dragon dildo
since I really like
>spinning on a dragon dildo
can you do me a suggestion for the same thing ( >>54222353 ) but with BT?
thanks in advance
>>
Does it exist any proof that recabling the headphones can make a perceptible improvement of audio fidelity over the stock cable? It sounds stupid.
>>
>>54222595
the graph is not supposed to be flat when it's uncompensated. their fidelity is in the middle of the other IEMs you posted. 1>3>2
>>
>>54222673
Thanks, gonna get the first ones.
>>
>>54222595
>>54222490
What about the price?

What about comfort, aesthetics, QC and other shit.

That anon is right though. Note the fluctuations from 1-5khz leading to a sharper rise right into the large peak in the bottom one right at 6-8khz. Ouch.

Though take unlabeled manufacturer charts from china with a grain of salt and if you're paying more than $50 pay them no heed what so ever.
>>
>>54222610
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ObravoHAMT1.pdf

Some literal ear rape sounds like it is right up your alley friend.
>>
>>54222420
Thanks.
>>54222424
Thanks. I think I just meant warm which is recessed treble. I really hate getting ear raped. I think that too much bass sucks too, you can't tell the vocals then.
>>
>>54222835
See that's why I prefer objectivist reviews. Warm should only ever refer to your ears and how comfy they are inside the cans. If you just don't want over emphasis on treble then I think the word people use is smooth or polite.

Mr.Speakers Ether C
Oppo PM3
>>
>>54222896
What do you recommend for open ones?
>>
>>54222694
These are just OEM speaker units, so the comfort and look don't matter, but they're quite cheap, so if they're even 30% as good as the IE800 I'll be happy.
>>
>>54223047
Sennheiser HE 1
>Endgame is not a budget

Stax would be my go to end game. SR009's and a SRM-727II from a benchmark DAC2.

If spending somewhere in the order of $10k is not endgame to you and you want planar/ortho's for under a few thousand then it all depends heavily on the kind of listening you do, and the genres you like.

>Rock and vocal heavy electronic mixes like anime/vocaloid

Still too many to choose from if all you can decide is that you don't want ear piercing treble, I would only be able to recommend against the T1/v2 HD800/S

Though You might look at the Koss ESP950, they're an entry level electrostatic. Or the new stax lambda range SRM-353x and L700 or the aforementioned SRM-727II with SR-007MkII.

There's a lot to choose from.
>>
>>54223333
Oh and that's not saying anything about the diy electrostatic amps people are into that I'm only just starting to hear of let alone know the first thing about.
>>
File: 1457903828098.png (158 KB, 1000x963) Image search: [Google]
1457903828098.png
158 KB, 1000x963
>>54223333
this stuff is too expensive for us neets.
bought HD600 from neetbux
>>
File: 803.gif (38 KB, 300x219) Image search: [Google]
803.gif
38 KB, 300x219
So far I've bought a HD598SE and a PC363D and they were both awful

HD598SE audio quality is good

PC363D surround sound is accurate

ambient sounds are loud, close sounds are muffled and sound like they're 5-10 feet away from where they are.

the moment any bass kicks in the whole audio turns to muddy shit and gets normalized to a lower volume.

I've spent 4-5 hours tweaking various settings, equalizers and surround sound software with each one trying to make them sound decent but to no avail

I'm just going to go on a refunding spree until I find one I like
>>
>>54223799
What's your source?
>>
Post dogs with headphones.

Here's my contribution.
>>
>>54223799
>PC363D
There was your first mistake.

Which game are you playing?

If you say CoD I swear I'm going to hunt you down and calmly and succinctly explain to you how bad the sound is for those games and why you don't need fake surround software to hear footsteps and enemy direction in a game with decent directional sound like cs source or global offensive.

>HD598SE audio quality is good
So just fucking use them and ditch whatever meme software you have that is fucking up your positional queues.
>>
File: dog-music.jpg (41 KB, 575x431) Image search: [Google]
dog-music.jpg
41 KB, 575x431
>>54223922
>>
>>54223972
>global offensive.
I should specify - now that it has been updated to actually use directional sound. Before someone jumps up and down about how the sound in it sucks.
>>
>>54223799
>buys entry level Sennheiser
>expects decent quality
>top lel
>>
whats the best headphones for asmr? you DO listen to asmr right?
>>
>>54223885
PC onboard

>>54223972
I tried CS GO, Metro Last Light, and Killing Floor 2. I was probably too vague in my post but the problems I listed below apply to both of them.

I think it's just the open ear nature of the headphones that require a silent listening enviroment, and my room with fans and a computer running is not optimal. I think I'll try a noise isolating pair next to see how it is.
>>
File: urf.jpg (91 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
urf.jpg
91 KB, 1334x750
>>54223973

Cute!
>>
>>54224096
Your 7.1 USB headset is the problem.

Use the hd598 in a game without your meme software.

Closed headphones do not position as well as open headphoens. It is not your fans stopping you hearing properly. It is the 363D. You fell for marketing, we all do it, just move on, it could be worse, you could not have the 598SE to fall back on.
>>
File: 1458848225223.jpg (80 KB, 500x1041) Image search: [Google]
1458848225223.jpg
80 KB, 500x1041
>>54224044
>entry level 7.1 USB sennheiser

actually
>>
>>54224065
Take your cuck fetish back to /d/ faggot.
>>
>>54224232
Does surround do nothing for games? At all?
>>
>>54212445
is there a better headphones for its price range ?
pic related
>>
>got Sennheiser 650s
>oh shit, I need a DAC/amp

How do I set up? I spent $400 for the headphones, so I'd prefer not to go over that for the other stuff.
>>
>>54224421
Crack OTL from bottlehead. You definitely need a tube amp for them.
>>
>>54224448
I know nothing about soldering.
>>
Hey /hpg/, /csg/ here. Which of these cheap earphones you think are the best?

>Xiaomi Piston 3
>Rock Zircon
>KZ ATE

Appreciate your help
>>
File: IMG_20160425_204305.jpg (3 MB, 3382x2727) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160425_204305.jpg
3 MB, 3382x2727
>>54224109
Funnily enough hes half of what your dog is..if that's a long haired collie.
>>
>Budget
$200
>Location
America
>Source
Future Amp/DAC
Full size
>Open or closed
nevermind
>Comfort level
comfortable :|
>Preferred tonal balance
Warm/bassy
>Preferred music
Instrumental
>>
>>54224363
Surround headphones don't.

Source: I've owned 2, my brother owned 3, and at least 3 different friends have owned them. Not one of them has been better for positional than a good pair of stereo headphones with sound card and/or amp.

Look at it like this:

You have two ears right, not 7.1 Why the fuck should that matter? Because your brain can clearly process positional cues (why the fuck did I write queue earlier?) otherwise you would not be able to tell when someone is walking behind you while you're on your computer, or that a car is driving down the street. The importance of this then is that clearly you can create those same positional sounds from two sources, if you only have two ears.

Not only that you're taking a stereo image and squishing it to instead of being the space between your ears, it's the space between the drivers inside the ear cup. Small right? That's why there's almost zero difference between the front left/right, side left/right and rear left/right in terms of front-back spacing. Because the image is so squished and being produced from such small drivers (they had to fit them all in there, all 4.5 of them) that not only is the sound itself squished, but you aren't actually getting good directional sound. It's just all mumbled together and you get a vague sense that it's moving when something goes from rear right to side right.

cont.
>>
>>54218189

I might be totally wrong but:

on a software player (most devices) the software volume just lowers the software loudness under 100%, with 100% being the "real" max loudness of the amp, it always outputs the same electrical load. if the player can go past that 100% limit (it might tell you or not) at that point it's boosting the perceived volume by fucking with the range, that's where some clipping/distortion can be introduced, which is why you lower your eq preamp so you aren't accidentally doing that when you have a boost in eq. stil, the output in electrical load always stays the same. if you have dedicated amp with a knob (pot), that actually changes the power, but most still have internal protection to prevent damage. there was a defect with the first magni where it pushed way too much power when you turned it on and it damaged some people's headphones.
>>
sennheiser hd 201 or 202?
>>
>>54224598
Not only do you have all that, but there's the fact that the dynamic range on those sorts of headphones is universally awful because of those tiny speakers. So everything sounds like it's right fucking in front of you, or 50 metres away. Because those tiny tinny tommy little speakers can't produce the differences in sound pressure that something like the hd598SE can.

Then there's the fact that because of the design of them they're limited in frequency response too. So not only will every sound feel squished and tiny (which lends to the illusion of position, when really it's just squashed) but it will also tend to sound one note, making individual sounds, especially similar ones (like footsteps in an fps say) seem like they are not only all coming from the same distance and direction, but that they are all the same person at the same volume, barely separated.

Compare that to the hd598SE.

You get better left/right, which translates to better front/back, because of the increased space each sound occupies. There's better tracking when movement happens because the stereo image is wider and it isn't swapping speakers suddenly, causing that feeling where everyone seems to teleport around you. Not only that but you can tell distance and volume a lot easier, so it's even easier to tell if someone is walking, running, jumping, crawling or crouch walking, even if there's more than 5 people on the same kind of surface just around the corner. Impossible on the 363D yeah?

Add to that the fact that music won't sound like a dog regurgitating its dinner on a treadmill and you've got literally zero reason to ever plug your 363D in ever again.
>>
File: bayerdynamics dt 990 pro.jpg (210 KB, 1500x994) Image search: [Google]
bayerdynamics dt 990 pro.jpg
210 KB, 1500x994
>Budget
80 - 130 europoor

>Location
Europe

>Source
my pc.

full size, preferably open because i enjoy classic music

>Comfort level
comfortable

>Preferred music
classic/movie ost/ choir

i'm considering pic related. are they any good ?
>>
File: ransomware.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ransomware.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>54224598
>>54224699
"Physical" surround headphones being shit due to cheap and many drivers is pretty obvious and spouted everywhere. Also, the 363D is a stereo that uses Dolby Headphone. (I'm not even >>54223799)

My question is, are stereo headphones with an external or inbuilt sound card any good for gaming? Is a surround card even worth it if I got a budget pair like >>54219890? Can games emulate surround sound without the specialized hardware? Research on this shit is really confusing.
>>
>>54224505
>>54224421
Would an Objective2 + ODAC not be appropriate?
>>
>>54224760
V shaped

so emphasised bass and upper treble register, in comparison the mid range will sound scooped or flat, depending on how you want to word it

Basically choir or orchestral will sound like dogsballs because of the mid range reliance of voice heavy recordings, and a lot of your tracks will sound awful

If you can save to 160 I would recommend the sennheiser hd598 from amazon.de

If you really CAN'T save for a few more weeks or just buy rambo toilet paper for the next month then the akg k612 is 138 from amazon.de
>>
File: 1456849142959.jpg (638 KB, 1800x2560) Image search: [Google]
1456849142959.jpg
638 KB, 1800x2560
>>54218562
>>54218549
yeah, those are all on my to-buy list, and I have some already. but isn't the quadbeat discontinued and/or it only came with some phones? if you have to hunt for them they prob shouldn't be in any guide.

>>54218671
most come from a few IEMs that had them, mostly sony. so search for sony hybrid replacement tips on ebay or amazon and hope that the bore size will fit whatever you're putting them on. ask head-fi.

>>54224096
I daily a 598 including for CSGO and I've never had a problem, but then I do play in a pretty quiet room. I would say overall open headphones, the 598 especially are better for those kinds of games because it gives a greater sense of space. not that closed headphones are all bad, but I would never play with the v6, the sound-stage is so narrow it sounds like everything is right next to you. maybe just play in stereo headphones mode like I do instead of trying for the surround meme?
>>
File: hd600 and hd201.gif (319 KB, 847x824) Image search: [Google]
hd600 and hd201.gif
319 KB, 847x824
>>54224696
HD201

It's a shame about the build quality and the small pads to people with large ears. I have small ears and once they're on my ears it is comfy just like HD600. Inb4 Headroom graphs they have the volume too low maybe on purpose.
>>
>>54224895
Quadbeat 3 tuned by AKGs are from ebay and they're only sold in Korea as far as I know. They're under $30.
>>
File: 1441563636279.gif (739 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1441563636279.gif
739 KB, 500x375
Any one here have experience with the headphone out on the ZenBook UX305C? How is the noise level with low impedance IEMs?
>>
>>54224823
>spouted everywhere
Spouted? It's true m80.

>the 363D is a stereo that uses Dolby Headphone
For what purpose?

>are stereo headphones with an external or inbuilt sound card any good for gaming
Fuck yes. I just explained that. Can't be beaten for fps games especially. Though the quality of the external sound card is what is in question here, assuming we're talking good headphones (like the 598's mentioned earlier).

Something like a cheap $8 cmedia chip off ebay probably not gona cut it, but an audioquest dragonfly or dacmagic XS will blow your pc audio out of the fucking water if it's the weak point in your audio system. How to tell? Audible hum/popping/background hiss/crackling or fizzing.

>Is a surround card even worth it if I got a budget pair like
What? No. Your headphones would use Left + Right (stereo) sound. Not surround. Unless you weren't actually reading what I posted earlier and bought surround headphones.

>Can games emulate surround sound without the specialized hardware
You're being really vague here I can't tell if you mean technologies like binaural HRTF which try to emulate 3d surround using just a stereo signal (which like 2 games ever use) or if you mean can they produce surround sound without a sound card or motherboard audio, in which case no? You need a source for your audio. It doesn't come from the game, it comes from the hardware. I really don't understand the question, if that wasn't obvious.
>>
>>54220883
Haven't found it for under 200€. I'm in southwestern Europe. Also since it's 600 ohm I'd probably have a hard time driving them since I don't have a dedicated amp yet, and wouldn't be able to get one for a while.
>>
>>54224938
What is your meme gif even meant to represent? Some anon who thought the hd201 could be EQ'd to sound like a hd600?
>>
>>54224996
You would be better off trying to find out what the audio codec used is. That would give you a better idea than hoping for an anon to give you subjective impressions. If you can't decipher the specs bring them back here and someone might help you if you read the pastebin and post in the format for requests.
>>
>>54225128
Memes and Yes
>>
>>54225080
Read the pastebin if you're after purchase advice and not just asking random questions.

They're on amazon.de for 188 but they're the 250 ohm version.

If I were you I'd get something like the mdr-v7 to tide me over till I could afford a good open pair for mixing then.

What are the headphones going to be used for specifically? Monitoring camera audio? Recording drum tracks? Vocal booth? What?
>>
File: 571e7df4c4ea5647374205.gif (4 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
571e7df4c4ea5647374205.gif
4 MB, 800x450
>Tfw just ordered a pair of HD598 SE's
>looking at review vids
>see this

WRYYYYYYYYYY!?
>>
>>54225206
Music production in general, digitally. Not many live instruments.
>>
>>54225075
>Your headphones would use Left + Right (stereo) sound. Not surround.
What about virtual surround sound? Isn't that what Dolby Headphone etc. does?
>>
>>54225223
Okay. Read the pastebin, but make sure to put the genre of music you produce. There's no sense in recommending a headphone with massive bass roll off for someone doing drum and bass.
>>
>>54225246
That's what it claims it does. In reality it just fucks up your ability to hear coherently. Turn all that shit off. All your audio enhancements for echo and reverb like creative effects and shit. Even your windows audio playback device driver "digital enhancements" or whatever they call that shit. All it does is get in the way of you hearing what's actually going on in the game.
>>
>>54225221
thats fake
it would have snapped
>>
>>54225345
Idk man, the guy does a pretty full fledged review.
>>
File: snapheiser.png (137 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
snapheiser.png
137 KB, 480x320
>>54225221
Because Sennheiser headphones are well-known for their poor build quality/quality control. So much so that it became a meme a few years back.

They have, since then, paid reviewers to 'demonstrate' that their headphones are durable.
>>
>>54225345
I sat on my m50x's in an awkward position that would have snapped rigid plastic cans. If they're made of flexible stuff they can be very durable.
>>
>>54225221
>>54225383
Can you just not?
>>
>>54225417
Not what? Provide accurate information in response to a reasonable question?
>>
>Budget
$100, flexible

>Location
US

>Source
HP laptop

>Preferred type
Headset w/ mic

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Comfy enough to wear for a long session

>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral, maybe a little bassy

>Preferred music
Any kind

>Past headphones
Mostly normie-tier shit, like beats
>>
File: 1458243030468.jpg (394 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
1458243030468.jpg
394 KB, 1000x666
>>54225311
Alright, I gotcha. Thanks.
>>
>>54224823
You don't even need specialized hardware for surround audio, just download Razer Surround and it does it all in software.
The reason people still believe a soundcard is needed for surround audio, is that way back when, you pretty much needed one for both good sound and for hardware acceleration. CPUs weren't multi-threaded then, so software audio processing of 64 simultaneous sources would've slowed your computer down significantly, while a sound card took all complex processing duties onto itself.
Because the audio was generated from within the hardware, the card had full spatial awareness of every sound, and presented them via HRTF, meaning precise X Y and Z positioning and not just a simulation of a 5.1 or 7.1 system.
In the end, sound card drivers were responsible for 50% of blue screens on Windows according to Microsoft and CPUs became faster anyway, so eventually they migrated to simple hardware DSP implementations where the audio is actually processed on your CPU and then sent to the card for additional effects like Dolby Headphone. Pretty much most sound cards released after the X-Fi Titanium are inferior DSP-based variants with have no hardware acceleration and are incapable of actually synthesizing sound, which some old games actually did.
>>
>>54224550
What kind of headphones are those?
>>
>>54225475
Beyerdynamic dt234

80 new on amazon
>>
>>54225283
>drum and bass
Hit the nail on the head mate. I'll post the whole form once I'm off mobile. Thanks for your help.
>>
>>54225498
Just to be clear I'm not memeing you, and I'm not butthurt that I can't enjoy 5.1 headphones or something. It genuinely does just fuck up your user experience and claim it's doing you good.
>>
>>54225475
Definitely get the Corsairâ„¢ VOID 7.1 SURROUND gaming headset. Ignore the autists with their shitty clip-on mics they're frankly not suitable for elite gaming.

>Perfect sound signature neutral throughout with deep bass and driving highs
>7.1 Surround sound will improve your k/d
>See that .1? That means the things have a subwoofer. Autistic Snapheisser nerds can only dream of such bass performance
>Legendary Corsair warranty
>Which you won't even need because they're built like an absolute tank
>Sleek urban style to boot you will be the envy of your MLG team
>>
>>54225516
>just download Razer Surround
Or not.
>>
>>54225528
Sorry if I was rude.
>>
>>54225541
I didn't think you were memeing me, it's just that I'm not sure whether to believe some guy on /g/ or some dudes talking about their $500 virtual surround headphones/sound cards on forums and in reviews. I don't know what to do and I'm too lazy to try it all out.

>>54225591
But it's FREE! That's literally INFINITE efficiency!

>>54225563
STOP
>>
File: NOW THIS IS PODRACING.jpg (42 KB, 350x283) Image search: [Google]
NOW THIS IS PODRACING.jpg
42 KB, 350x283
>>54225563
>>54225516

now THIS is podracing
>>
File: horrorsofmen.jpg (56 KB, 225x220) Image search: [Google]
horrorsofmen.jpg
56 KB, 225x220
Why Pistons III are so dirty cheap? like 2$ a pop?

Are they that bad? or they are really shit build quality?
>>
>>54224883
thanks, what about the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 ?
>>
>>54225615
>That's literally INFINITE efficiency!
Zero net utility divided by zero cost equals does not computer not infinity
>>
>>54225640
Yes and yes. Though for the price you can't really expect much.
>>
>>54225591
It's sound presentation is better than Dolby Headphone, which has a tendency to over-emphasize the bass and sounds just too much like a big room rather being in an open space, probably because it was meant to emulate a theater.
However, both implementations are worse than CMSS-3D, which you can only get on the X-Fi cards if you can still find one and get it working your system. Even if it's just for modern games with 7.1 mixes, the algorithm produces much clearer and precise sound than the others.
>>
>>54225615
After you uninstall your sennheiser drivers -kek- you should try just playing a game.

That's how fucking easy it is to test. Playing games to test how your games sound while playing games!

Now I'm fucking with you
>>
What are some good headphones/headsets with floating headbands? Kinda like the pic in >>54224550
>>
>>54225604
Not at all, I should know better than to post while ignoring the rules.
>>
Give me the Pros and Cons of portapros
>>
>>54225654
Considering they're closed I would say they're not even applicable. You can get better closed cans for the price too, so they're not even applicable there.
>>
>>54225679
How about you read the pastebin so you aren't asking us to search through literally thousands upon thousands of manufacturer pages to post pictures of headphones for you?
>>
File: ASUS-Xonar-U7-with-box.jpg (1 MB, 2362x2362) Image search: [Google]
ASUS-Xonar-U7-with-box.jpg
1 MB, 2362x2362
Does anybody own this?
>>
>>54225437
kek, he's taking the piss
>>
File: barbossa.png (989 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
barbossa.png
989 KB, 1920x800
>>54225686
They're more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.
>>
>>54225744
>Budget
$100

>Location
U.S.

>Open or closed
Closed

>Tone
Neutral

The other stuff I don't care too much about, as long as it has a floating style headband
>>
File: 090128102020396644.jpg (28 KB, 342x285) Image search: [Google]
090128102020396644.jpg
28 KB, 342x285
>>54225713
could you give me some example.
i'm not particular picky about close or open.
i just want sound accuracy (the some bassy crapp like beats) and wide sound stage.

my max is 130 euro bucks, so the hd598 and the akg612 are out of reach.

thank you
>>
>>54225767
Didn't know it existed. Probably not a terrible idea considering it's usb, as you update your drivers and software there shouldn't be any compatibility isues or audio clipping.

It's from Asus so you can trust the specs and that they've implemented the chips well. Their audio cards are great, especially for the price.

If you don't want an audiophile brand or more connectivity then go for it. But you won't be able to use it with a headphone amp or preamp because the only output it has is coax which would mean linking your DAC to your DAC to your PC. Pointless. I guess it's for connecting to an AV receiver if you don't have a SPDIF out on your mobo, but even then you could just get a usb to spdif for much cheaper.

Up to you really. It will perform well, but it can't be upgraded with an amp.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.