[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux for kids
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: Linux For Kids.png (471 KB, 767x664) Image search: [Google]
Linux For Kids.png
471 KB, 767x664
Any of you /g/anoomen have kids?

I'm thinking to give my kid a laptop for his 5th birthday, not sure what distro to put on it, I want him to have a lot of kid-type stuff available by default so I was thinking Edubuntu but they don't seem to want to upgrade it to 16.04 which is kind of annoying.

Might just end up installing Edubuntu 14.04.2, it's not like much changed in 2 years anyway.
>>
>>54203570
Honestly, your 5 year old is not going to care or know the difference. The most important thing is giving them something they'll know how to use. Edubuntu is probably the right choice unless you'd like to switch to TempleOS
>>
I gave my wife's son my own laptop with riced Gentoo on it.

I'm now using only my phone because that was my only laptop. He said he's very happy with it.
>>
>>54203570
>teach children linux at a young age
>they get older and go to school where its all windows or maxOS
>where's the terminal
>how do you even install things
>whats an exe
>how come i can't recompile this to suite my needs

>What? Didn't your parents teach you computers child? How disgraceful!

way to set your kids up to be failures, faggot
>>
>>54203744
there is terminal for both os x and windows 10
>>54203570
install your kid regular distro like ubuntu, debian, opensuse, (gentoo).
>>
>>54203744
Don't listen to this fool. At the end of the day it's your own conscious decision. Linux is the best operating system in my and many peoples opinion. Those who support freedom and oppose fuckery choose Linux. And windows is a very simple operating system to use, so when he dose go to school and uses windows he will pick it up in a matter of days, and then realize how much better Linux is compared to windows.
>>
>>54203739
>wife's son
>giving only laptop
Is this bait
>>
>>54203787
School PC's block cmd prompt unless they're idiots and cmd prompt is shit, and it isn't bash.
>inb4 bash coming to windows
That'll also be blocked if the schools will ever upgrade to windows 10 which won't happen for a long as time it anything.
>>
>>54203852
Linux is not an operating system.
>>
>>54203854
Yeah he's obviously meming here.
>>
There are plenty of kid Linux distros like Sugar on a Stick. Edubuntu isn't that great, the UI is too advanced for a 5 year old.
>>
wtd, you are giving a laptop to a 5 year old kid... wtf...Where is your brain? Do you really want your child sitting in front of a fucking laptop at this early age? Wait a few years before you do that.
>>
>>54203912
This.

Kids should be running outside and playing. Not getting a head start on the NEET life.
>>
>>54203570
Here's what I do with my child:

1) Bake 2 cakes, use salt instead of sugar in both.
2) Feed the first cake to the child
3) When the child cries and laments, tell it: "I'm sorry but this is proprietary cake. There's nothing we can do about the salt."
4) Offer the second cake to the child. Again the child cries and laments."You're one lucky chap! This is a libre cake. It comes with the recipe! We can recreate it with sugar instead of salt.
5) Bake the corrected libre cake with the child
6) Feed the libre sugary cake to the child.
The sugar causes the child's brain to produce dopamine which triggers its reward center. It now associates the concept of copyleft with happiness.

I suggest you perform variations of this at least once a month.
>>
Give him one of those puppy linux distros aimed at kids
>>
>>54203570
>laptop for a 5 year old

It is way too early for something like that. If you wonder why, just go outside and walk around until you see a seemingly brain dead <10 year old playing gaymez on a tablet.
>>
my pops gave me some old solarisbox when i was a kid

now im here
>>
Why don't you just give him a laptop with Windows on it with a couple of games?

Do you want him to hate you when he grows up because you kept trying to make him like the things you liked?
>>
>>54203744
>not teaching both

You're one of those one-sided, I HATE APPLE !!!! ree, type of people aren't you?

People are not as inflexible as you, NEET.
>>
Don't ruin his life like your parents ruined yours
>>
>>54204011
i dont want my child to be a fucking normie
>>
Windows to be honest. Not everyone can use Linux. If he's smart enough, he will discover it on his own. Don't force it on him.
>>
>>54203912
I got my first laptop in 3rd grade and I turned out just fine...
>>
File: sugar DE.png (4 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
sugar DE.png
4 KB, 259x194
>>54203879
>>54203570

Yep, was about to suggest Sugar as it is basically made to be foolproof, it is setup to only run one program at a time with very simple yet colorful graphics. But really sugar is a Desktop Environment as I understand it, but probably has a OS setup someone has already made. But you could customize the setup by changing permissions and program packages if you have the time.

But really just start him with command line. When I was little I typed in lines to launch Organ Trail and stuff. Didn't understand it, but had a cheat sheet of things to launch games. Then I got a GUI and lost all interest in command line, now (over 20 years later) I am trying to rekindle that interest I had as a kid as I have concluded command line is how computer should run. Now I just need to know how it works.
>>
>>54203852

>Those who support freedom and oppose fuckery choose Linux.

systemd
>>
File: 1460221828277.jpg (142 KB, 540x810) Image search: [Google]
1460221828277.jpg
142 KB, 540x810
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/dvd/current/

Seems like there is a 16.04 Edubuntu ISO here, not sure who is working on it though...
>>
We ate a family of 5. 1 boy of 10, 2 girls of 7, mum and me.

We've been using ubuntu, and xubuntu after canonical messed up basic version.

They've ball been ising iy since day one.

Starts with gcompris, bit now it's mostly minecraft and some rts's and fps's for the son. Uses skype for babbling ti his buddies. At home he uses libreoffice , inkscape, skeychup, and a browser +mail.

At school they use windows, so you could say they are brought up bi-os-ual .

Don'y make a to big fuss about it anf just do it. We all 5 use *nix at home and win at work/school. No biggie.

Oh yrah. Question. How do i manage user settingd ,login times etc... Via central server? I run a ubuntu server
>>
>>54204288
>We ate a family of 5

t. Kwabongo from Africa
>>
>>54203854
no shit
>>
>>54203861
all the schools i went to never blocked cmd or terminal
>>
>>54204180
>systemd is nonfree
get your facts staight
also systemd is not mandatory. Don't like it? don't use it.
>>
>>54204175
>as I have concluded command line is how computer should run
Are you retarded? More often than not UI is more efficient for the average user's usage than command lines. Try efficiently managing your torrents with no UI or even do any kind of text edition with ed.
Of course for some tasks command lines are more efficient, but they aren't the unique correct way to "run" a computer...
>>
>>54203973
did you just make this up or do people actually do this
>>
>>54204288
No. I will not help you recovery your family's fortune, Mr. Kwabongo.
>>
>>54204301
Dammit. Phone keyboard. We ARE a family of five.

Anyway, any suggestions for central management?
>>
>>54205558
>Anyway, any suggestions for central management?
It depends on what you want to do
You could install SSH or VNC on all the clients and manage them that way, or have network mounted drives to source config files
>>
>>54203570

Son of my wife's daughter wants a laptop as well for some light gaming, mostly emulators, I'm thinking Windows 7 would be the best for him.
>>
>>54205904
Gentoo + retroarch
>>
>>54204585
It's called Pavlovian conditioning and yes, you can use it to train the child
>>
>>54204288
Google master client Linux setup
>>
>>54203912
what else should they be doing?
>>
>>54203984
>my pops gave me some old solarisbox when i was a kid
>now im here
/g/ feels your pain anon
>>
>>54203744
>>54203570

I'm now picturing the kid on the Mac at his school trying to sudo into the terminal to install homebrew.
>>
>>54203570
post your kid's feet
>>
File: 1461471917630.png (664 KB, 1267x1635) Image search: [Google]
1461471917630.png
664 KB, 1267x1635
>>54203744
This. He's going to be like those kids who grow up vegan, then end up hating their parents once they try meat for the first time.
>>
I have a 3.5 year old. She's had her own iPad since she was probably 2.

She has her own Linux desktop. It runs mint with Docky bar. She uses tux paint, tux racer, and this flash game site for kids called ducky deck. I tried all of those for kids distros and they all suck, so I just went with good ol mint. Move the taskbar to the top, put Docky on the bottom.
>>
File: 1461444563199.png (3 KB, 228x56) Image search: [Google]
1461444563199.png
3 KB, 228x56
When I got my first laptop I downloaded all the shady shit and made it slow and unusable. The only reason I would give a kid a linux computer is so that they don't accidentally install malware.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.