[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you bigots keep using outdated terminology I mean com
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
Why do you bigots keep using outdated terminology I mean come on its 2016

https://github.com/antirez/redis/issues/3185
>>
File: 1459647865178.png (458 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1459647865178.png
458 KB, 803x688
Just fuck me already
>>
Is there any reason why they can't just use "worker" instead of "slave"?

Or do they have a problem with that too?
>>
i think worker/slave or master/worker would work
i do agree that it's problematic
>>
>>54190578
I happen to agree with him, there's no reason to use that terminology.
>>
File: 1460985999965.jpg (80 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
1460985999965.jpg
80 KB, 766x960
>>54190578
>>
File: AAAAAAAAAAAAAA.gif (337 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA.gif
337 KB, 640x360
>SJWs have taken over

/g/ is kill
>>
>>54190795
>i do agree that it's problematic
Literally fuck off.
>>
>>54190795
Back to >>>/reddit/ >>>/tumblr/
>>
>>54190774
Who? All I see is a username and a photo that could be acquired from anywhere. Master/slave applied to a controlling element and the controlled.

You could use Host/Parasite if you want, but more people will use "slave" because it is shorter
>>
Bringing up "social justice issues" should be an instant perma-ban from contributing on a project. Of course, that assumes that these tumbleroonies actually contribute anything useful to begin with.

Time spent by the devs on dealing with those trolls is wasted time.
>>
>>54190578
To be fair though, 'primary' and 'replica' are just better terms for main and secondary databases/servers because they're much more descriptive.
>>
File: anime shrug.png (583 KB, 1070x848) Image search: [Google]
anime shrug.png
583 KB, 1070x848
I don't get the outrage on /g/ every time someone brings this up, they're absolutely right that master/slave is a harkening back to chattel slavery and has no place in technology or open source (emphasis on open)

That said I haven't heard a really good alternative yet, leader/follower is one but not catchy enough for me.
>>
>>54190946
it's not that simple

of course, if an account makes an issue with social justice keywords and their github contains no actual code, just forks and pull requests containing pronoun changes and code of conducts, then yes, they should be permabanned.
>>
>>54190977
I'd use Primary/Alternate
Or Primary/Alt
If the servers exist for backups, name them "backup"
>>
File: AYh11Hg.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
AYh11Hg.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>54190977
>>54191020
top/bottom
>>
File: 1461348951235.jpg (69 KB, 520x678) Image search: [Google]
1461348951235.jpg
69 KB, 520x678
>>54191004
>Politics
>Programming
Pick one.
>>
dom/sub?

these SJW cunts all superprogressive, right?
why don't they just adopt homosexual ideology?
>>
>>54191055
If people are able to convey written words then it WILL get political. Like it or not, don't act like programming is or should be a bastion from criticism.
>>
>>54191004
It is a term sourced from hardware, where they had devices completely under control by another one. Father/Son is short and easy, but I'd pick Mother/Daughter because it relates to the old master/slave hardware and mother/daughter boards
>>
All his 'contributions' are like this.

https://github.com/reignite/burnout.io/issues/25
>>
>>54190578
I would just change them to be White and Black respectively.
>>
>>54191109
>don't act like programming is or should be a bastion from criticism.

That presumes that this whole "master/slave" issue is actually criticism, it's not. It's attention-seeking and disruptive behavior and should be swatted as soon as it pops up.
>>
>>54191179
Holy crap
>>
File: 1461356758398.jpg (73 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1461356758398.jpg
73 KB, 640x480
>>54191109
How does employer/wagecuck sound like?
>>
>>54191208
Robot/normie
>>
You shouldn't be allowed to create issues on github unless you have written at least 1000 source lines of computer code.
>>
File: 1461402019620.gif (1019 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1461402019620.gif
1019 KB, 320x240
>>54191221
whitemaster/whiteslave
>>
>>54191208
male/female (also in use with electronics, perhaps the next target for these retards?)
>>
>>54191179
Why do devs waste their time with this shit?
>>
>>54191246
Diversemaster/whitecismaleslave
>>
>>54191109
>Bring in your own political connotations to something that was never supposed to have any political connotations
>"Criticism"
Right... So we should ban BDSM sex because of slavery connotations? Sex in general because of rape connotations? How about global trade because of connotations with colonialism?

The simple answer to that is No. Let's not let busybodies cramming their own extra connotations into everything run the show. Let's just tell these people to cram their "criticism" where the sun doesn't shine?
>>
>>54191203
It is valid criticism even if you don't like it, dudester.

Even if you only care about programming what does it matter to you? Its like whining about GNOME/KDE having art designers because "wah wah we should only care about writing code!"
>>
File: 1461426711993.jpg (227 KB, 623x700) Image search: [Google]
1461426711993.jpg
227 KB, 623x700
>>54191270
This is probably the best so far...
>>
boss/slave

there now it's all better
>>
>>54191265
If the "slave" is an object to be inserted into, yes. Makes sense from my engineering mind
>>
File: 1461413820203.png (250 KB, 858x725) Image search: [Google]
1461413820203.png
250 KB, 858x725
>>54191294
>WHITES GET OUT REEEEEEEE
>>
>>54191271
>Ban

Nobody is banning you from writing master/slave in your code. It would just be an amendment to a specific project's style guide.

And open source code is made to be something public to everyone, not a private matter between one or two individuals like sex is, so shit comparison m8y
>>
>>54190578
Let's be honest for a moment
Words like 'slave' and 'master' are a diamond dozen and should be trade as such. We should just stop using them completely in all forms of communication as it may upset out PoC brethren and sistren.
>>
>>54191322
>Get complaint
>make "diversity fork"
>fill it with cheap
>claim the performance reduction is due to privilege checking
>>
>>54191277
>"It's valid criticism becoz i sez so!!!1"
Busybodies like you trying to cram your own interpretations into things so that you can change something you have had no part in creating REALLY doesn't constitute criticism. It's like me saying that you can't wear the clothes that you like because it somehow reminds of the nazi's.

Attempts at criticism are not automatically valid in any shape or form. If they're valid they hold up to scrutiny and if they're just some busybody trying to imply something people haven't given a shit about for decades is somehow offensive then they don't hold up to scrutiny and are not valid.
>>
>>54191340
>talks about common terms
>diamond dozen
>>
>>54190795
>>54191004
fucking kill yourselves.

this board seriously has gone to shit the past few years.
>>
>>54191277
>>54191322
In that case, fork the code and make it as SJW-y as you like. Not that that will happen, of course, since the only contribution the Professionally Offended have to offer is changing variable names and making comments more in line with their idiotology.

I wonder if Linus has had to deal with those retards already, I'd love to see how he shoots them down.
>>
>>54191321
affluent/slave?
>>
>>54190736
"Worker" suggests people who are exploited by the bourgeoisie in a Capitalist economy. We prefer the term "Proletariat" in order to more clearly reference a working-person who isn't shackled to Capitalistic pigs.
>>
>>54191366
>Master/slave is equivalent to banning clothes because Nazis did

Its literally a direct reference to chattel slavery, dude. Quit making shitty comparisons if you want to be taken seriously.

>>54191377
>wah wah get out of my safe space stop disagreeing with me :'''''''(

You literally belong on reddit if you want a customized safe space where your opinions will never get challenged.
>>
The way things are bothers some people who support their case with reasons while the majority never even thinks about it. Some of you make it seem like you're about to burn your hard drives in protest but, most likely, the truth is you probably don't really care wtf it's called. The reactionary stances some of y'all take in these white male-dominated hobbies and fields in opposition to issues brought up by parties driven by their experiences in discrimination is so devoid of principle it's nauseating.

It is probably literally of no consequence that something like this type of terminology changes into a new norm but it causes such disproportional vitriol.

In case you're not convinced that you're jedi-mind-tricked by your image board cohorts into being what those in society refer to as "man child," test yourself by NOT getting mad at the following words and phrases:

>trigger warning
>problematic

Did you get upset just then? Have you ever reacted negatively to those things? uh oh....bad news, you might be a scared kid in a changin werld.
>>
Comrade/Comrade
>>
as expected, a completely shit thread
>>
>>54191322
Banning the master/slave terminology to describe the model is banning it even when you do it in an open source project. The fact that it's an open source project is completely irrelevant. Being open source you can create your own fork of something with the "problematic" terms changed if you want to.

That second sentence is some real olympic mental gymnastics tier shit... It makes absolutely no sense.
>>
>>54190977
replica means a whole other thing , its misleading
>>
>>54191422
test yourself by NOT getting mad at the following words and phrases:

>master
>slave

Did you get upset just then? Have you ever reacted negatively to those things? uh oh....bad news, you might be a scared kid staying up past your bedtime.
>>
>>54190977
>they're much more descriptive
not to mention not the same fucking thing from what they're trying to change it

I can't believe we live in times where people think they're contributing to something by changing a few words because it might offend someone
>>
Reddit/4chan
>>
>>54191422
It really depends on the context.
Master/Slave if master controls slave and slave has no output other than to master
Primary/secondary if equal units, but one is operating when systems nominal
Mother/daughter if mother is primary, but information is shared (bias to mother recieving)
>>
>>54191411
>Its literally a direct reference to chattel slavery, dude
yeah, the terms are descriptive, who gives a fuck?

>You literally belong on reddit if you want a customized safe space where your opinions will never get challenged.
I never said I wanted a hugbox, nice projection though. Only that you're a fucking idiot and you should kill yourself, and that idiots of your calibre previously were not present on this board.
>>
>>54191518
>Mother/daughter
That's sexist!
>>
>>54191411
>Its literally a direct reference to chattel slavery, dude. Quit making shitty comparisons if you want to be taken seriously.
Yes, it's a reference to something that hasn't existed in the west for about a century and a half. To take offense over it NOW despite the terminology existing for decades is COMPLETELY and utterly stupid. It's like right now taking offense over words like "mankind" "manpower" or "workman".

Also, you taking ME seriously? There's like 3 people right now laughing at you and your fake offense over terminology that's been in use for a lot longer than you've been alive.
>>
>>54191422
It causes such a disproportional vitriol because it's pointless and annoying bullshit that takes away from actual productivity and creates a pussified culture and environment where people are uneasy about speaking freely. Who gives a mother fuck if the master is called the master and the slave is called the slave?
>>
>>54190801

What's the context? Master and slave are *extremely* clear. It's used in hydraulics (e.g. brakes) all the time. Why? Because the master cylinder tells the slave cylinder exactly what to do.

>>54190977

It appears master and slave are entirely the wrong words for whatever context this is. Sounds like master was somewhat relevant (e.g. master copy, master database), but slave was nonsensical.
>>
>>54191454
What i'm saying is it's not something acceptable for a public and open project like Open Source, by nature is. If we want to get into shit comparisons, its like open defecation vs shitting in your own toilet.

And also, what makes removing master/slave terminology so unacceptable? Would you cry out about "banning" if they rejected code with the variables named nigger and faggot?
>>
>>54191541
It's empowering, Father and son would be sexist :^)
>>
It's funny how people get offended at using the word slaves because we enslaved blacks in the increasingly distant past, yet we are okay with enslaving africans and asians now to produce the consumer electronics and resources required to post how offended we are.

Fucking western society.
>>
>>54191526
>Wah wah stop being in my safe space, stop challenging my opinion, I miss the old days when I could circlejerk with other manchildren uninterrupted :'''''''''''(

>>54191549
>It hasn't existed for a while so its okay now

So would references to the holocaust or Rwandan Genocide be an OK thing to put into your code then?
>>
>>54191564
>What i'm saying is it's not something acceptable for a public and open project like Open Source,
why is it not acceptable? because you think proper descriptive terms might hurt somebody's "feelings"? has anybody's feelings ever actually been hurt by this or has there just been an outcry of faggots like you who think somebody's feelings might potentially be hurt? you do realize that the term "slave" has no racial, ethnic, or even social connotations, right? there were slave dynasties of rulers in the medieval islamic world for fucks sake.

>And also, what makes removing master/slave terminology so unacceptable?
because it's fucking pointless and tells everybody around you that you're a worthless crybaby who should jump off a bridge

>Would you cry out about "banning" if they rejected code with the variables named nigger and faggot?
Because derogatory slurs are somehow now the same thing as the purely descriptive "slave" and "master"? give me a fucking break.
>>
>>54191617
literally kill yourself, your bait isn't even funny nor interesting anymore

so tired of this shitposting, hope you got your entertainment
>>
>>54191627
>because it's fucking pointless and tells everybody around you that you're a worthless crybaby who should jump off a bridge

Says the guy getting so worked up about something so "pointless", you realize it was literally just a one off suggestion that "hey maybe we should get rid of that". The only crybaby here is you.
>>
>>54191617
>>Wah wah stop being in my safe space, stop challenging my opinion, I miss the old days when I could circlejerk with other manchildren uninterrupted :'''''''''''(
yeah, I miss the old days when pedantic faggots like you didn't exist. you're repulsive and should commit suicide immediately. that's not the same thing as wanting a hugbox. pedophiles in prison get murdered and it's not because the other prisoners want to live in a fucking hugbox.

>So would references to the holocaust or Rwandan Genocide be an OK thing to put into your code then?
you're telling me that the vague concept of "slavery" is somehow equal to recent genocides against certain targeted ethnic groups? jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>54191617
>So would references to the holocaust or Rwandan Genocide be an OK thing to put into your code then?
If it was oddly descriptive of my code, yes.
>>
>>54191657
>replying to bait seriously
>>
Well personally I believe all branches are made equal. To me this looks empowering.

>>54190795
Yeah it's micro-aggressions like master/slave keywords in programming that perpetuate racism. People don't realize programming is a very white male dominated industry.
>>
>>54191422
You do realize that you're moaning about terminology that's been in place since decades before you were born? The problem is that you're pretending to be upset over something that nobody has given a shit about for decades because it's very descriptive of the relationship between the two or more parties.

You're demanding that very descriptive and well working terminology should be changed because of some manufactured outrage. Of course people are going to be pissed off when well functioning things get changed to less well functioning things for no good reason. You probably wouldn't be happy ether if you saw something well working changed for something less well working for a reason you found to be stupid.

The reason people get agitated over the words "trigger warning" and "problematic" is because the context in which they're used is pretty much always really stupid and/or childish. Here you are being "triggered" over well descriptive terminology that nobody has given a shit about for decades so if anyone is up past their bedtime, it's you.
>>
>>54191646
>Says the guy getting so worked up about something so "pointless",
just because something is pointless doesn't mean that it's not an infuriating behavioral pattern and a massive waste of time and drain on productivity. none of these bitches produce anything of value, only start problems over nothing.

>The only crybaby here is you.
Oh, so I'm a "crybaby" for not tolerating your bullshit?
>>
No one responds to my posts...
I guess that's what I get for not yelling like an idiot
>>
>>54191714
you're just not shitposting hard enough and trying to act like some tumblr faggot

keep those things in mind and you're sure to get lots of (you)s
>>
>>54190578
It was only a matter of time really
>>
https://github.com/nslater
>Pronouns: she/her
>Berlin, Germany

Pure coincidence.
>>
>>54191617
>Moans about people demanding safe spaces
>Is literally the only person talking about safe spaces
I hope the irony isn't lost on you...

Unlike the genocide and the rwandan genocide, there's literally nobody alive that's suffered from slavery in the west. Decades ago when the terminology was first created there wasn't one alive ether meaning that there's never been anyone who can seriously claim to take offense from this terminology. So when all of the survivors of the two genocides are dead AND if they can be used to make a very good description then possibly then.

However nobody is actually offended over master/slave, so stop pretending that it's somehow offensive.
>>
>>54191756
oh but it gets better

https://twitter.com/nslater

>queer trans feminist nerd
open sorceress
>>
>>54191756
>queer trans feminist nerd • open sorceress • author, editor • governance @CouchDB • community @TheASF • coordinator @MHPrompt • tweeting about tech and culture
>>
>>54191698
>muh productivity, you're not allowed to do anything except write code, no conversation allowed!

Yeah, I don't see you complaining about the thousands of other open issues on github related to project artwork and code design requests.
>>
>>54190736
Worker is already a term in threading. Assigning a new meaning to it would lead to confusion.
>>
>>54191771
>Once slavery ended and all the former slaves died, nobody was ever affected by it ever again!

This is what you ACTUALLY believe.
>>
>>54190578
>especially in north america
Why do american liberals think theyre the center of the world?
>>
File: 1453782333094.jpg (132 KB, 861x1300) Image search: [Google]
1453782333094.jpg
132 KB, 861x1300
>>54191789
those don't fucking matter in most cases, whereas things such as these do matter because most of the time the repo owner feels forced to appease those "queer trans feminist nerds" or else they'll get branded racist, misogynist or whatever other buzzword those useless fucks will come up with

>>54191804
he clearly said the west, you fucking RETARD
>>
Alpha/Beta
>>
>>54191020

I've naturally gone to "Primary/Secondary" in my code, however; "Master/Slave" is just as valid considering we've been using it for many things forever now. The only issue is that you've got some knee-jerk bitch complaining about it.

Admittedly, I haven't used GitHub or done anything with Open Source Development, when does this kind of thing become an issue?

Do you upload your code to GitHub, then someone pulls your code, then they come and complain about it when they find something that might offend them?

Is that how this shit actually happens?
>>
We should adapt master/slave to the modern age, and call it creditor/debtor.
>>
SJW/Whiteknight
>>
>>54191804
>Taking offense over a reference to something you could never have been the direct a victim of
Nice straw man there, but no dice because I know what a straw man is.

I could to some extent understand that you'd take offense over a joke about slavery or people trying to defend it, but you're pretending to take offense over a REFERENCE to how chattel slavery worked.

Think about it... You're LITERALLY trying to pretend just REFERNCING how chattel slavery worked is somehow offensive. It's like pretending to be offensive over people describing the horrors of the holocaust.

You can understand that much, can't you?
>>
>>54191569
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>54191914
Fine
:']
>>
>>54190578
>Simple changes like this cause drama
KeK. The only people getting triggered over a simple change are stormfags.
>>
>>54191933
>using the smiley with a apostrophe nose
>>
>>54191936
Honestly both parties are equally sensitive.
>>
>>54191847
i'll tell you how it works.

people like the aforementioned 'nslater' think they are being progressive and ridding the world of injustice by 'raising awareness' of 'problematic' terms in open source.

in fact, 'he' has just fallen into the same trap that every socjust faggot has: get addicted to the positive feelings that come from being perceived as 'socially enlightened' by his/her peers. it's just a game in which the loudest and most publicly righteous individuals are rewarded with exactly what they crave: more attention.

in conclusion, these people are trolls who aren't aware of being trolls, and have deluded themselves into truly believing they are saints.
>>
>>54190578
the thing i love about electronics and embedded systems is that it's free off women, roody poos and pale lanky manlets, it's just a bunch of curryniggers and crackers enjoying their field without giving a shit about what anyone thinks. semiconductors industry gives even less of a fuck. if you were to start that shit there, you'd be ignored to oblivion.
>>
>>54192019
To a computer, we are all just a user.
>>
>>54191899
The issue is that using this terminology essentially normalizes slavery.
>>
>>54191960

So people like this literally scour repos on GitHub actively looking for shit that might be deemed 'offensive' just for the sake of complaining about it?
>>
>>54191914
>"carat"
>>
>>54192098
Yeah because computer hardware/software has feelings.
>>
>>54192098
Slavery of that part of code.
>>
>>54192120
i can't know for certain, but what's the alternative? that this person was just perusing through the code, and found these terms whilst trying to understand the program or make meaningful changes to the code? reading 'her' other 'contributions', it doesn't look like this person knows how to code in the first place.
>>
>>54192098
But if we refuse to use the terms, are we not committing cultural erasure?
>>
>>54192098
>implying we aren't all slaves to the system
>>
>>
>>54192132
>"circumflex"
>>
>>54190578
This is just like how people ruined internet and made it a hugbox.
>>
Master/slave honestly doesn't make sense, though.
>>
>>54191047
kek
>>
>>
Master/Nigger
>>
>>54192133
No, because there are people who write and read code. If they work with software that incorporates master/slave terminology, it sends the message to them that slavery is normal and acceptable.

>>54192177
No, it would only be erasure if we pretended slavery didn't exist/didn't happen. That's like saying not calling the replacement for internet explorer "Microsoft Holocaust" is erasure.
>>
>>54191847
>Primary/Secondary
I would find this terminology ambiguous. Master/slave gives the understanding that the master is the master telling the slave what to do. While secondary implies it does the same things the primary does and don't necessarily have to listen to the primary one.
>>
>>54190578
>especially in North America
>>
>>54192019
Be careful what you wish for. I thought the software world was safe too. Just wait. Hollywood will have a girl solder some semiconductors and save the world. Then you are fucked.
>>
File: Kill everyone.png (157 KB, 701x1000) Image search: [Google]
Kill everyone.png
157 KB, 701x1000
>>
>>54192155
>it doesn't look like this person knows how to code in the first place.
https://github.com/nslater/oblique

If you're going to hate people, at least have valid reasons.

>>54192177
You sound like the sort of guy with 16 Confederate battle flag stickers all over his truck.
>>
YES LETS BURN ALL THE HISTORY BOOKS

Goddamn revisionism is out of control.
>>
>>54192269
>No, because there are people who write and read code. If they work with software that incorporates master/slave terminology, it sends the message to them that slavery is normal and acceptable.

I guess we should ban the kill() command on *nix too then. It normalizes violence.
>>
>>54192336
Uhh excuse me? The word "history" is sexist, "his" implies males did most things worth noting. We should use the totally gender neutral term "herstory" instead.
>>
>>54192331
>https://github.com/nslater/oblique
>python

still doesn't invalidate my point, faggot. do you think this transfag was just reading code for his own edification and stumbled upon these 'problematic' terms? or that he actively sought them out?
>>
>>54192375
pointless strawmeme
>>
>>54192331
>You sound like the sort of guy with 16 Confederate battle flag stickers all over his truck.
Wow are you a member in Hitler jugend? Are people with such stickers on their trucks worth less as human beings just because they have stickers on their truck that you don't agree with?
>>
File: straw.jpg (91 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
straw.jpg
91 KB, 600x450
>>54192453
>Are people with such stickers on their trucks worth less as human beings
>>
>>54192331
You sound like the type of person who hates all kinds of stereotypes and sweeping generalizations except for the white male hick one.
>>
>>54192331
>wrote tiny web services that call other site's apis
this is literally babby's first coding assignment
>>
>>54192524
He sounds like the guy that would be a perfect commandant in an extermination camp. His view on other people coincide with those of the Nazi's. But it's OK. He's the good guy exterminating the bad guys.
>>
>>54191020
I'd use P/A
>>
>>54192524
I have zero regrets about making fun of racist white people.

>inb4 le reverse racism
>>
>>54190946
Can we write a software licence to use for projects, that basically says "if you start SJW shit your licence to this software is revoked and you'll be permabanned"?
>>
>>54192654
You can write anything you want in a license but if it's that vague it wont be enforceable and I think the license would be voided.
>>
>>54192595
>He's ... exterminating the bad guys
see
>>54192507

>>54192654
VIolates freedom 0
>>
>>54192613
But you're normalizing stereotypes.
>>
>>54192688
If you start strawmanning because of short circuiting your brain then expect being called out on it in the same kind of flavor. You are simply a horrible human being sharing a lot with the people you look down on. It's probably just a coincidence that you aren't they guy with confederate stickers on xir's truck.
>>
>>54192613
As do I.

I have zero issue making fun of shit tier people of other races.

You don't teach people that not all members of the Wehrmacht hated the jews because you like the Nazis.

You do it because if you just dehumanise your enemy, you won't notice when you become just like him.
>>
>>54192336
How is this equivalent to burning history books? No one's saying slavery didn't exist, but why do we have to normalize slavery? Remembering the horrors of slavery is important precisely to prevent ourselves from accepting it s normal.

>>54192338
Yeah, I see no reason why we couldn't just replace it with end() or something along those lines.
>>
>>54192654
>>54192688
Just tell the guy if he isn't happy with your project / code, that he can fork it and make something better since he seems smarter than you.
>>
I find the term "race condition" very disturbing. It implies humans have races and that some of these perceived races are lesser than others. The white man has been coining these racist terms since the dawn of the computer.
>>
>>54192807
>Yeah, I see no reason why we couldn't just replace it with end() or something along those lines.
Decades worth of applications could be broken. The name has stuck because "fixing" it would be a pain in the ass and the name isn't causing anyone any actual harm.
>>
>>54192807

Its master/slave, not Massa/Nigga.

if the program echoed "yes massah" to stdin everytime it did something, then you would have a point.

Master and Slave perfectly describe the function and relation of the two, what they do, and how they do it.

The Terms "normalizing" anything. You remove words that remind you of bad things and dilute language.

No One uses master & slave in modern terminology other than these functions.
>>
>>54191411
>It's literally a direct reference to chattel slavery, dude.

How the fuck do you know? Maybe it's a reference to BDSM? BDSM was certainly around before modern programming.
>>
>>54192734
>You are simply a horrible human being
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En__V0oEJsU
>>
I've seen this happen twice or three times before on there and I still don't get what these people are actually complaining about.

>The "master" device issues a command, and the "slave" device responds to it. What is the difference between "client-server" and "master-slave" protocols? There isn't; they are identical.
http://mblogic.sourceforge.net/mbapps/ComBasics.html

It is a honest-to-goodness simple, readable, and accurate description of the relationship between the devices in question; there's no ambiguity with garbage like "primary/secondary" and there's no complexity like with whatever the fuck that "SLAVEOF NO ONE" "change" was. For their humanities degrees (or lack thereof), these "champions of social justice" who pride themselves on culture and arts have no actual understanding about (the English) language and how to fit it to a specific purpose.
>>
Why is this thread even up? Fuck you /g/.
>>
>>54192918
>post a youtube link without any description
That's triggering me. I don't like your XSS attempt but I'm going to assume your link is a way to show agreement that the other person is a horrible human being.
>>
>>54192984
because newfriends can't contain their topics to a single board, and now need to crosspost and take their memes and reaction images and agendas to whatever board tickles their fancy
this is why the site died in in 2011-2013 (Bane was the final straw), and why the site was starting to die by late 2009
>>
>>54193132
As someone that was here from the start I would have to say the site started dying with the new influx 2006-2007 that culminated with the exploding van. I don't remember what happened in 2006 but it gained traction with the general public back then outside weeaboo circles.
>>
>>54193193
>I don't remember what happened in 2006
Raids.
>>
Thank fuck antirez has his head screwed on. Redis is a fucking fantastic project and I'd hate to see it degenerate.
>>
>>54190578
>romans and greeks had masters and slaves
>even US had some white slaves
>but it HAS to be a racial thing
>>
>>54193193
>I don't remember what happened in '06 but it was bad
If you can't fucking remember Chanology and all the other raids, you weren't around before '06 yourself, you fucking mong.
>>
what you dont seem to be realising is that people in this thread are baiting replies.

dont fall for these things so easily, really now.
>>
>>54194484
Well excuse me that my life doesn't revolve around 4chan so I can tell exactly what happened over 10 years ago on the exact day. I quit /b/ when /a/ was created so I didn't take part in your lulz (oh noes I probably got the chronology wrong for lulz). Not everyone can be a sad British mong.
>>
>>54190578
>hosting your projects on SJW hub
What were they expecting?
It's like going to Antarctica and not expecting there to be ice
>>
>>54191391
this is a more modern and accurate representation
>>
>>54190578
>using a site that doesn't respect your basic right to the first amendment
Ayyyy
>>
File: check your GNU+privilege.png (931 KB, 1366x1408) Image search: [Google]
check your GNU+privilege.png
931 KB, 1366x1408
>>
>>54194999
How real are any of these? It'd be a shitty world with people thinking like this.
>>
File: Ken visits lgbt.png (285 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
Ken visits lgbt.png
285 KB, 640x448
>>54191756
>she/her
>>
File: Modern_incidence_of_slavery.png (53 KB, 1425x625) Image search: [Google]
Modern_incidence_of_slavery.png
53 KB, 1425x625
>>
>>
>>54195243
It will be a sad time when linus passes away or retires he is immune to all of this faggotry
>>
>>54191404
Ahahahah fuck me so many extra fucking characters to keep feels in check.
>>
>>54190578
Counting should be illegal cuz higher numbers have to wait to be printed
>>
>>54191144
Yeah but (mind the pun) those are gender binaries that offend some zeeple. It should be ZEY and zem but this might also offend genderfluid pansexual trans-niggers so I think its best for everyone that programming be deemed illegal on account of no one ever being able to be happy.
>>
>>54191617
Mass delete/remove functions? Muh6gorillion subroutines?

Can't wait for the new Reichs worldwide to purge you fucking nutters.
>>
>>54191804
Come ask pol Faggot. Leave the kindly nerds be and come get your shit pushed in like the cuck nigger kike you obviously are.
>>
>SJWs in tech

Its finally happening. Kill me anon. Do it.
>>
>>54191804
So what about all the Mediterranean and baltic whites enslaved by greeks Romans and Africans? Are we still effected
>>
>>54190578
nuke this
>>
>>54191570
This

Fuckin hypocrites
>>
>>54196939
it's not slavery
they work for a fair 2 US cents/hr
sent from my ishit
>>
Why is it niggers think everything is about them?
The master slave paradigm is not about racial oppression you self absorbed millennial twat.
It is the communication protocol of two consenting adults who have a less traditional sex life.
Just because you feel guilty over some racial oppression you never were a part of doesn't mean you should shit over the progress we have made in the bdsm community to make it acceptable and used in a context that isn't weird.
>>
>>54197273
How else could we charge them for rent?
>>
>KILL ALL WHITE MIDDLE CLASS MIDDLE AGED MALES

>THEY ARE TO BLAME FOR EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD

When did you realize that we are this century's jews? We aren't even absurdly rich, though.
>>
>>54197361
2 cents / hr (in a week consisting of 23hr workdays) can feed 20000 people for 100 days
It's just a matter of scaling it to their cost of living, obviously
>>
File: 1406325686116.png (19 KB, 477x225) Image search: [Google]
1406325686116.png
19 KB, 477x225
>>
>>54197273
Well actually africans are still enslaved, by other africans, to mine shit out the ground like diamonds and rare earth metals and shit. Used in iPhones.
Slavery is a girl's best friend
>>
How about master/nigger? Would that make them happy?
>>
>>54197406
I read that as Cryin' Lynn at first lol
>>
>>54197406
kek
>>
>>54197408
Don't forget the happy workers at Foxconn. So happy they're jumping for joy off the roof
You're not a slave as long as there isn't an actual chain on your neck. That's what my upper middle class education taught me, right?
>>
>>54190578

Implying there are black programmers.
>>
>>54197535
>Jumping off the roof
RIP their family as a result of their no-suicide contract.
>>
>>54190578
Django confirmed as faggiest web framework
>>
>Using SJWhub
no thanks
>>
>>54192098
you are so full of marxist brainwashing that it isn't even funny
>>
File: rOooJiI.jpg (164 KB, 699x533) Image search: [Google]
rOooJiI.jpg
164 KB, 699x533
>>54192807
>How is this equivalent to burning history books? No one's saying slavery didn't exist, but why do we have to normalize slavery? Remembering the horrors of slavery is important precisely to prevent ourselves from accepting it s normal.

Slavery WAS NORMAL for every race, culture, tribe, and nation throughout human history. It was "cis white Christian males" who had a moral problem with it. And those same "cis white Christian males" sacrificed blood and treasure to put an end to it.

The ONLY reason slavery was eliminated in the west and reduced in the world was because the European powers, still under the influence of Christianity, lost their stomach for it, and the British Empire then pressured the rest of the globe. This involved more than diplomacy. They set their navy to work against the slave traders. It was essentially a global war.

And guess who gets blamed for slavery? The very people who fought it.

Here's another tidbit: if Christianity and the west diminish, slavery will return in full force. It still exists in Africa, the ME, and parts of Asia, despite pressure from the west.

Do lefties fight real slavery in the world? That would require getting up off their asses. Much better to join a repo and bitch about "muh normalizing triggering terminology."

I swear I hate the whiny do nothing millennials, maybe more then the boomers.
>>
>>54191269
Because they either need to do shit or do this, and guess which is easier
>>
>>54195243

Is this directed towards Linus?

Get the inventor of Linux out of Linux?

What a dumb bitch.
>>
>>54194443
antirez is no stranger to these SJW morons. He got in a bit of hot water a few years ago after writing a post on sexism in tech.
>>
>>54191451
As expected, a completely shit contribution
>>
File: my sides 2.jpg (35 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
my sides 2.jpg
35 KB, 640x400
I keep all my WD Caviar Black's in SATA slave mode even though its meaningless
>>
>>54197655
what would be better alternative?
>>
>>54197837
kekekekekekekek
>>
>>54190801
It accurately describes the relationship.

If it helps, whites have been enslaved in numerous times and places as well.
>>
>>54197700
only good post in this thread tbqh
>>
>>54190578
>Muritard special flowers once again thinking they are the centre of the universe
Pro tip: "Master/Slave" does not have a "racial connotation" basically anywhere else in the world or to anyone who has the ability to see beyond their own bellybutton. The Romans or Egyptians were keeping slaves thousands of years before you fags and they weren't even the first.
Tell me this, do you feel guilty when you see a vending machine? It has to stand around all day, in heat or cold, and serve anyone that comes up to it. It has no choice in doing so, it cannot refuse, it doesn't get vacations, hell it doesn't even get rewarded for it's hard work.
Are you speaking up against the oppression of vending machines? No? So stop crying about the way we refer to certain computer code.
>>
>>54197953
I think primary / replica or something similar is more precise.

If it helps, I don't like that he's asking others to bend to his personal views.
>>
>>54190578
>especially in north america

dumb cunts don't know dick about slavery
>>
File: st.jpg (71 KB, 360x403) Image search: [Google]
st.jpg
71 KB, 360x403
>56 likes
>2 dislikes
how the fuck are there so many people who support this vs people who think it's a retarded overreach of political correctness
>>
My degree gives me the title master.

Please change it to primary.
>>
>>54190578
>primary and replica
that doesn't make any sense.
it makes the opposite of sense.
>>
>>54195243
why not fatherfucking?
MISANDRIST!!1
>>
>>54198892
not mane reasonable people left on github.
>>
https://github.com/nslater look at this one. Looks like a male but calls himself a female
>>
>>54199223
Could possibly be a parody.
>>
>>54191617
god damn
god fucking damn

this guy is an obvious troll, sure
but I've seen people who actually make arguments that are this fucking retarded and actually think they're smart
>>
>>54190736
Slave is more appropriate because my slave functions will never get anything in return for doing all the hard work for me
>>
>>54190801
Master and Slave are also used on IDE HDD's and you use a jumper to choose Master, Slave, or CS.
>>
>>54195243
The problem is there is a certain underage demographic of g and pol who do not use linux or fs but think it makes great material to troll the sjw idiots with. They fling mud and shit in the name of fs, and spout the slogans that are so oft posted here. Although they do not represent or give a shit about those of us who depend on or contribute to these projects, they smear the community and drag them into these shitwars with fuckers who are equally as uninvested but still prepared to spout their vapid, unexamined opinions and make outrageous demands which are sadly sometimes met.
>>
>>54198892
Recover your account just to dislike it.
>>
>>54191020
Primary is already used with secondary, it implies the secondary takes over if the primary fails. In engineering anyway
>>
>>54190578
>master and slave have racial meaning
only if your an braindead retard.
>>
>>54192098
> normalizes
no it doesnt. if you want to see an example of normalizing something then just look at the LGBT movement and other related nonsense.
>>
>>54190795
Kill yourself faggot
>>
>>54200797
American slaves were clothed, housed, fed, and cared for even in their old age.
>>
>>54204329
Fuck, is this what they teach in the states? Indians weren't forced onto reservations either right? They willingly made space for the friendly settlers who didn't exploit and massacre them.
>>
>>54204329
Thats what stormfags really think?
>>
>>54204673
Anon isn't wrong. Some slaves met terrible fates and lived awful lives but others were bathed, fed, and sometimes even schooled.

However, anon made it sound like ALL slaves got this treatment, which they did not.
>>
Pimp/Ho
Chosen/Goyem
Embrace their lifestyle, no wut I'm sayin'?
>>
>>54197920
self hosted or the million other git based sites that exist
Why would you deal with a censorship ToS that doesn't respect your basic amendment rights?
>>
>>54204832
The point was that the northern abolitionists had a perception of slavery that was complete fantasy. Some masters did mistreat but in many areas the law was strict about abuse of slaves. You can even look at all the accounts from former slaves who wished there never was a war so that they didn't have the freedom to starve, among other things.
>>
>>54204673
What we're taught in schools in the states is that we holocausted the slaves on an hourly basis.
>>
File: 1452884785634.jpg (72 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1452884785634.jpg
72 KB, 1280x720
Guys, does it make sense to call the american indians "native americans", when they aren't actually from there, and came thousands of years from Africa?

Isn't everyone a native african when you really think about it?
>>
>>54204970
Makes no sense to try to call everyone African. Native Africans and their descent are more genetically distant from any other racial group than any other racial group is to another. Native Americans are just an offshoot of Asians.
>>
>>54204833
BBC/Cuck
>>
>>54204970
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiregional_origin_of_modern_humans
>>
>>54204970
Nigger.
>>
>>54191322
>Nobody is banning you from writing master/slave in your code.

Of course not. They just focus their mob hatred upon you and our family and employer instead.
>>
I've always tended towards parent/child, especially in projects where a process spawns other processes, it makes sense to me.

I have been told by an sjw that parent/child is demeaning to those who have had a bad or no family life, and therefore I am being oppressive by using such language.
>>
File: 1395285734617.png (45 KB, 645x352) Image search: [Google]
1395285734617.png
45 KB, 645x352
>>
>>
>>54206739
this desu senpai
>>
>Master/Slave offensive because it has historical issues, slavery, etc.
I can't believe this, it's 2016 and it only continues.
>WORDS ARE OFFENSIVE HURRR
Back to the age of the roman empire, they had slaves, they were slaves. You called the master/mistress of the house: Dominus/Domina. Master/Slave also sits in BDSM, it's all about context.
>>
File: 1398110460314.jpg (42 KB, 596x358) Image search: [Google]
1398110460314.jpg
42 KB, 596x358
>>
>>54190795
>sjws move to /g/ because they think they know shit
This kills the /g/
>>
File: oswald.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
oswald.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>54210084
Just looked up that article.

>1. “Good luck with your project.”
>It’s not a fucking project.

>It’s a CORPORATION. It’s an OFFICIAL, TAX-PAYING, CERTIFIED, DELAWARE-INCORPORATED business that is employing people, producing new products, contributing to the economy, making money and getting things done. We’re working on it every day, all day, and every weekend. We quit our jobs to start it, put thousands of dollars into it, spent hundreds of hours filing paperwork to make it official. We code the app, keep the servers up, wear the pager. It is not a project. How come the hobby site you’re building with a college buddy in between beers is a “startup,” but when women start a CORPORATION, it’s a “project”?

WHAT. Calling a startup a project is misogynistic now?
>>
>>54191179
>pronouns: she/her
>has a nu-male picture
it's obviously a troll account, right?

RIGHT?
>>
>>54194999
>female citizens inspire nearby male citizens to work faster

To be fair, that's kind of a stupid mechanic and I can see how it might offend some people.

Every single other point on that page is ridiculous.
>>
>>54210084
she fucked weev

that should be the first warning sign to ignore the fuck out of anything she says
>>
>>54191082
>implying that dom/sub only applies to teh gayz
>>
File: fatherVarg.jpg (125 KB, 466x700) Image search: [Google]
fatherVarg.jpg
125 KB, 466x700
>>54191004
>harkening back to chattel slavery
And if the programmer / project / etc aren't in the US, or in a place that never had mainstream slavery or slavery based on race?

While we're on the topic of coming up with new and increasingly insane terminology to communicate a Master / Slave relationship, may I recommend: Orchestrator / Respondent

>>54211366
I prefer a compound pronoun that's completely gender ambiguous. It's a combination of she / he / it, or 'shit'. It covers every scenario someone could demand.
>>
>>54190578
Kill yourself
>>
>>54190736
Master process
Child process...
Only fucking correct terms
>>
Wow so many repressed bigotry here
>>
>>54212964
Shut up bleeding heart pussy
>>
>>54190578
>I don't intend on contributing further
>Implying this is a contribution
>Implying someone named "Noah" with a beard gets to be a "she" because "pronouns"
>>
>>54191269
>implying she's a developer
>>
>>54192241
Incoming pull request
>>
Has some guy been found who was like "I was changing the jumper on an old IDE hard disk from cable-select to master/slave because of some silly motherboard thing and suddenly I realised slavery is okay and kidnapped some children" - oh no, think of the children!
>>
>>54191179
everything normal is oppressive because it makes those who are not normal feel bad,
so we should pretend there is no such thing as normal, yet celebrate those* who are not normal.
(*does not apply to certain groups of people)

or something like that i guess.
its hard trying to understand idiocy.
>>
>>54190578
I would consider negotiating with these people if they would actually donate 50k to a charity of my choice.

Not before they actually did something outside of "internet activism" though.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.