[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Since today is rainy where I live, i took the time to clean and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10
File: IMG_20160423_151952.jpg (2 MB, 2477x3303) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160423_151952.jpg
2 MB, 2477x3303
Since today is rainy where I live, i took the time to clean and refresh the thermal paste on my CPU.

Also, this is now the 4th time I check, thanks to /g/, and the bend meme did not happen.

Question is, where were you when you realized that your thermal paste change is overdue?
>>
>>54184548

> /v/ kids will spend their weekends changing the thermal paste on their CPUs
>>
how long does thermal paste last for? cleaning it after less than 8 months sounds kind of OCD
>>
>>54184548
Do retards really refresh their thermal paste once a week?
>>
>>54184576
they blog about it too

this is just like that girl who blogs about writing hello world
>>
File: 1460068050840.png (307 KB, 600x530) Image search: [Google]
1460068050840.png
307 KB, 600x530
Not changed mine for 5 years and it has exactly the same performance as when I first got it.
>>
>>54184548
Good call on doing it on a rainy day, OP. Whenever my CPU cleaning day lands on a sunny day, I will have the kids turn the hose on me and my i7 while I clean it. And that's just inefficient.
>>
>>54184548
>6700k
this thing hasn't even been out for a year lol

why do you need to replace it now?

Haven't replaced mine on my 2600k since 2011 or whatever, still idling at just slightly over 31C
>>
>>54184548
>Since today is rainy
Because if it is sunny your mom wants you to go out and play in the yard?
>>
>>54184548
Don't forget to delid it
>>
>>54184548
I change mine once every 2 years or when I see my idle or load temperatures up about 4* over the previous year (I log my temps). Quick dustings of the outside and filter cleanings keep my cooling system working right and happens every month or two. I do an open case clean once a year in spring and a full teardown detail after 4-5 years. I've noticed sticking to this cleaning schedule has had more effect than changing my thermal compound, but compound is cheap and it lets me fulfill my cable management desires without buying a new system.
>>
>>54184548
That mx-4 will last for what, 7 years?
>>
OP here,

>>54184560
I am 32 and what is this

>>54184603
Had the feeling that i dun goofed something last time, plus I wanted to check once and for all this time, this fucking meme about bendylake.
You know, /g paranoia and shit

>>54184618
No if it's sunny I could have done some outdoors like clay shooting or some cycling. It may sound like a lame excuse, but there are people that browse 4chan and still have a normie part of life
>>
>>54184638

whatever you are using is obsolete

lmaoing at ur life
>>
>>54184572
I havent changed mine in 3-4 years and no difference has happened
>>
>>54184654
>clay shooting
>cycling
>normie
Nah. Weird people and criminals do that
>>
I use pepsodent toothpaste and my idle is 30C
>>
I don't feel like it because taking off that huge ass cooler is just painful.
>>
>>54184654
You have more chance of fucking up your cpu taking it out and cleaning it so often than bendygate. Did you really fall for that meme?
>>
>>54184548
>>54184654
You do realise by constantly removing and installing the CPU, you are increasing the potential for bendgate to happen to you, don't you?

Just leave the shit, thermal paste is fine for years.
>>
>>54184714
this
>>
I purposefully haven't done anything to my CPU since I installed it so it might break sooner and I have an actual justification to buy new shit. But it's been almost 5 years and nothing has ever happened. That shit's tough.
>>
>>54184668
Guess I'm a bit weird then. Because I even have a GF and that's a no-no for a /g dweller

>>54184801
Yeah I know, but now I'm pretty much satisfied that I fell for the meme but it did not struck at it's worst.
>>
>>54184548
Changing thermal paste is completely unnecessary unless you notice any kind of significant temperature problems caused by dried out thermal paste (which pretty much has never happened in history). But I guess people do all kinds of shit when they are bored.
>>
>>54184659
That's what I've done in the past. I have a 5820k main system and my backup is a 2600k in the corner that's been relegated to server duty. Just retired my i5 650 server and converted it to a media center for my living room. Still follow my cleaning schedule though.
>>
>>54184668
Fuck you faggot clay shooting is fun. Cycling is a meme through, it's a mode of transportation not a sport.
>>
>>54184916
Are you implying you can't have fun driving or make it into a sport?
Are you implying rowing isn't a sport?
Are you implying Yachting isn't a sport?
Are you implying Skiing isn't a sport?
Are you implying Ice Skating isn't a sport?

The list goes on m8.
>>
File: 20150626_173844.jpg (722 KB, 1238x929) Image search: [Google]
20150626_173844.jpg
722 KB, 1238x929
>>54184916

well it helps stay fit tho. here's mine.
>>
File: gaming laptop on lap.gif (2 MB, 1920x1076) Image search: [Google]
gaming laptop on lap.gif
2 MB, 1920x1076
>>54184548
y-you sure you didn't bend it while putting the heatsink back on?
better do a quick check again, OP. just to be sure.
>>
File: 2909157-9479655985-8d0.j.jpg (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
2909157-9479655985-8d0.j.jpg
55 KB, 500x500
>>54185025
>>
My 3770k is running ice cold still using old paste from back when I was building my rig, so 2013. I didn't notice any difference in temperatures even after all that time.
>>
Laying a cou down on a paper towel is triggering me.

Read up on ECD.
>>
I haven't changed the thermal paste on my HTPC in 9 years and it is fine.

You got memed.
>>
>bend meme

What? How do you bend a modern Intel socket pins, since it doesnt even have any?
>>
you know if you piss in a cup and leave it there for a week the piss ends up having the same consistency of thermal paste and you could put it on your cpu and its twice as effective
>>
File: skylake-bending-640x339[1].jpg (37 KB, 640x339) Image search: [Google]
skylake-bending-640x339[1].jpg
37 KB, 640x339
>>54185163
It's not about bending pins, it's about the PCB bend.
>>
>>54184638
O/g/ cleaning schedule bruv
Whenever I see dust in my case I go full retard and just air compressor that shit up
>>
jk do not actually do that its just a prank bro
>>
>>54184960
>doesn't fold in half
gg, /g/.
>>
>>54185289
you're a manlet if you can't fold a modern piece of shit light metal bike in half and straighten when needed
>>
>>54185206
>you know if you piss in a cup and leave it there for a week the piss ends up having the same consistency of thermal paste and you could put it on your cpu and its twice as effective
This isn't true it takes longer than a week
>>
>>54185321
but sperm works right away
>>
>>54185215
My compressor, while nice for the shop, is had set to 180 psi for my air tools and would take money for an inline regulator to reduce it. Canned air works fine for the most part and when a full teardown and rebuild happens, I take the case out and use the compressor on it. I've used it on radiators as well, but even the small amount of water that gets through my drier would wreak havoc on my components. Dust filters are a godsend compared to the old cases I used. Picked up a 750D about 2 months after release and couldn't be happier

>inb4 hurdurr full tower memes blah blah.

If you look at my case history, every old system I have ends up as a server then a media center so having a full tower and the bolt in HDD bays is going to be awesome when it gets retired. I'd probably buy another 750D or comparable when I do another build in 4-6 years. Can't really forsee my 5820k being unable to handle anything I do for the next few years.
>>
>>54186081
OP here,
well my friend I also have a piston air compressor in my little home-shop, but it works good.
An inline regulator can be as cheap as 6-8€ and if not, you can buy a plastic air pistol for 4€ (pic related) that have a big lever and act somewhat as an air choke.

Also in my experience the only real damage you can do to electronics when full blow with compressed air, are in the fans that may spin too much and get damaged, but usually this happens to older fans.
Tip: you block the fan with something (a pen, a plastic stick or whatever) and blow dust, without having them free spinning to dangerous speeds.
>>
>>54185334
h-how fast can you get it?
>>
>>54184548
I just change it when I have to clean up the CPU when the computer turns itself off due to overheating.
>>
>>54184548

Since today my wife's boyfriend is over at the house, i took the time to clean and refresh the thermal paste on my CPU
>>
>>54184548
>he didn't even delid

enjoy your dead processor in a couple years
>>
File: 1.jpg (186 KB, 1277x718) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
186 KB, 1277x718
>>54186217
I know I can get a cheap one but I use my garage a LOT and my air compressor has paid for itself many many times over. I recently relocated it into my side garage (paint booth) and reran my hardlines. I have a few hoses on reels spaced in the attic that just uses a little hole and grommet in the drop ceiling. Pic related, what I use my shop for.
>>
>>54184668
Clay shooting is real fucking fun.
In fact, clay shooting and hardware maintenance and installation may be the god tier of hobbies.
>>
>>54187043
I'd add working on vehicles as well. I prefer trap to skeet though.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
>>54186398
I see what you did there
>>
>>54184600
This was both clever and funny. I had a good laugh.
>>
I make it a point to change mine yearly. I doubt it really matters though, and since I upgraded to a 212 evo and really can't be fucked to mess with that thing anymore, I think I'm just going to leave it the way it is until I upgrade.
>>
Really garbage thermal paste will eventually dry up and crack if you're doing some heavy duty overclocking. But I mean REALLY garbage no name Chinese paste, and even then it would take months and months of the CPU running really hot to even have a chance of the happening.

I've been using IC diamond for years now and the last thermal paste change I did was 4 years ago now? I think. Temps are only up around 1C compared to a fresh paste.

That and just watch how many times you wipe down the CPU lid with alcohol to get rid of the old paste. My i5 and my fx-9370 both no longer have any writing on the lid at all. Just blank metal.
>>
>>54184548
I think you are mistaken, you have an Intel cpu, you have to change the thermal paste no ON it, but INSIDE it. They have shit temperatures because Intel purposefully gimped them by using thermal paste between the die and the lid, instead of soldering them together for the most efficient heat transfer.

Changing the paste between the lid and the cooler won't make any difference, since all that cooling performance does not reach the die in the first place.
>>
>>54185304
>folding and straightening the frame of a modern bike
>frame made from an aluminum alloy and/or carbon fiber
Some jokes just aren't funny.
>>
>>54189261
This is only true for Intel processors after Sandy Bridge. They switched from solder to a cheaper TIM, probably to reduce costs and cheapen the manufacturing process.

Intel® High End Desktop Processors do not apply. They still use solder for TIM1.
>>
File: FrontSpeccyBack.jpg (3 MB, 1920x3572) Image search: [Google]
FrontSpeccyBack.jpg
3 MB, 1920x3572
OP here,
This is my speccy, idle. It's not like I'm running hot by any means, and I do live in a temperate region.

But summer is coming and there I'll see some different numbers I guess.
>>
>>54184666
I didnt change it since I bought pc and it is 11 years old
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.