[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the actual fuck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10
File: awful.jpg (43 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
awful.jpg
43 KB, 615x409
Windows 10 apparently just installed itself without permission (not pre-loaded, actually installed itself). I've been delaying the upgrade for months because that's what I wanted to do, but Microsoft just put their steel-soled jackboot on my neck and decided to push.

Fuck you Bill Gates. I hope a an annoying contractor decides to make a shitty addition to your house without your permission.

My experience so far:
1) I walked over to use my computer and had to wait 30 minutes while it got it's shit together
2) Changed my desktop background, the fucker
3) Broke my video driver, the fucker
4) Threw a million notifications on the screen about programs no longer working in this verison of windows, the fucker
5) It installed an app called On/Off Charger (on my desktop computer) that is no longer available. When I click on the notification it tells me that this app might damage my PC or loose my data. SO WHY THE FUCK DO YOU INSTALL IT FOR ME, THE FUCKER
>>
It's not W10's fault you were too retarded to configure your OS, another fucking pointless thread, kill yourselves already.
>>
>>54179404

I'm about to finish my PhD in CS with a focus in computer systems and operating systems. I've had requests to "schedule a time to upgrade" for months and I've been specifically putting it off. More than just about anyone, I'm very particular about my OS because I actually use it to do more than masturbate like you.

I never authorized this, and the fact that they ignored my opt-out (or rather, decision not to opt-in) is infuriating.
>>
>>54179375
install gentoo
>>
>>54179469

That's a good question. I should see if this nuked my Linux dual boot, brb
>>
File: CgQ9VjWXEAAl_Ok.jpg (25 KB, 599x421) Image search: [Google]
CgQ9VjWXEAAl_Ok.jpg
25 KB, 599x421
>>54179455

>I got a PhD in CS and I still use Windows

Wow.

You're like a dentist who doesn't brush his teeth.
>>
>>54179455
>PhD in CS
>uses windows
>get clobbered by the widows 10 meme
I would say the doesn't make sense, but then i remembered CS majors are retarded.
>>
>>54179515

Uh, videogames much?

All of my work is on Linux, obviously, because it's a little hard to hack on Windows.

>>54179469

Thankfully, my Linux is still there (so apparently they got that stick out of their collective asses). However, Windows 10 has doubled my boot time from ~6 seconds after the GRUB screen to ~12 seconds after the GRUB screen.

This system isn't a slouch either. When I select my Linux side in GRUB, and hit enter, I hear the Ubuntu startup sound in less than a second, and the password prompt is ready in less than two seconds. Windows 10 somehow needs 12 seconds.
>>
>>54179375
bill stepped down from ms some time ago
rumor is he has also sold much of his shares
>>
>>54179455
And yet you never thought of removing that sneaky win10 update and keeping it in the available updates forever
>>
>>54179375
Oh look another one of these threads.
TotallyHappened/10
>>
>>54179568
>Uh, videogames much?
no not really
>>
>>54179375
Install Gentoo
>>
>>54179583
Fuck off MicroDick shill
>>
>>54179455
Waving around a not-yet-received PhD as if it's some kind of proof on how smart you are on a Cantonese basket-weaving board only proves that PhD is wasted on you.

>>54179568
>hack on Windows.
All those russian and chinese crackers would like to have a word with you.
>>
File: solitare.png (1 MB, 1202x933) Image search: [Google]
solitare.png
1 MB, 1202x933
Now I just pulled up a game and it tells me to press WIN+G to open the "game bar". Are you telling me that they want to start a new overlay for every game I play?

OK. So I try to open fucking Solitare of all things, and not only do I have to click through four separate boxes and avoid creating a Microsoft Account to play solitare, once everything is said and done I'm greeted with pic related.

I wouldn't have thought that you could screw up solitaire, but apparently all it takes is cloud connectivity, achievements, and a fucking game overlay.

Seriously, if I want to play Far Cry 4, for example, and I didn't know to turn this shit off, I would have the Steam Overlay, the uPlay overlay, and a Windows overlay now. This is three fucking overlays, when 99% of the time the only thing I do with an overlay is check the goddamn time.
>>
>>54179375
Windows was actually better with Gates.
>>
>seriosuly replying to pasta
move along, another redditor is trying to prove his creed to /g/
>>
>>54179577

I didn't want to abandon it, I was just putting it off until I read more about it (believe it or not, when doing important things, spending a half-hour reading up on Windows 10 never ever seems like a priority).

Microsoft provided me an "opt-in" button. Everything they had ever put on my screen said that they would install the upgrade when *I* scheduled it. And now, they broke that trust. I feel violated.

Also, Solitaire will now start blinking hints at you if you're not quick enough. That kind of defeats the point of Solitaire, doesn't it?
>>
File: windows 10 recommended.png (266 KB, 1366x718) Image search: [Google]
windows 10 recommended.png
266 KB, 1366x718
>>54179375
I posted this on /pol/ months ago.

How in the fuck did this get past /g/?
>>
>>54179644
>Waving around a not-yet-received PhD as if it's some kind of proof on how smart you are on a Cantonese basket-weaving board only proves that PhD is wasted on you.

Notice that I didn't say that my PhD makes me smart, that's just your own insecurity getting in your way. I said that my PhD makes me particular about my computers.

For example, I've been using an undocumented Windows 7 API for years to program my own monitor switching software. I've got my computer hooked up to a few different TVs in my house, and to make it easy on my wife there are just a few different buttons that you press that take care of switching the audio and video to one or more TVs. Does that undocumented API still exist? I have no idea. That's the kind of shit that you have to worry about when your OS decides to be a dick to you.

The API in question is for setting the default audio device:

http://www.daveamenta.com/2011-05/programmatically-or-command-line-change-the-default-sound-playback-device-in-windows-7/

That's just one of a few custom programs I use. Thankfully the rest use open, documented APIs though.
>>
>>54179743
How did you skin your desktop like that? It looks organic, I like it.
>>
File: 1459558474781.png (34 KB, 187x282) Image search: [Google]
1459558474781.png
34 KB, 187x282
>>54179650
>burger menus on a desktop
I only tolerate this garbage on phones due to display restrictions.

On a desktop, it's complete garbage.
>>
>>54179771
It's the Woodntux theme on Mint.

Have some teak on the desktop, to go with it.
>>
>>54179771
Also, the FF theme is Walnut2, I believe.
>>
>>54179455
You could have done some regedits to make it go away forever. You failed. You did agree to upgrade btw. It doesn't do it without permission.
>>
>>54179577
>wincucks think this is acceptable behavior
>windows victim blaming
Damn windows has turned people into sissies
>>
>>54179375
i would absolutely freak out if this happened on my MACINTOSH machine. thanking my lucky stars apple loves me and respects my experience
>>
File: 1460947152828.jpg (121 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1460947152828.jpg
121 KB, 800x600
>>54179688
should have just removed the updates which will install windows 10, took me less than 5 minutes to find out and remove said updates.

And there is revert back option in windows 10 but like degenerate you are, you opted to make a thread on /g/ about your problem instead of solving it yourself, which again would not have taken much time.
>>
>>54179798

That's what you're led to believe, but I never gave permission. And yet, here I am.
>>
>>54179825
I like how the excuse is that you're supposed to keep on top of your operating system trying to fuck you over.
"It's YOUR fault for not keeping an eye on it and disabling the parts that appear spontaneously that try and fuck you"
The parts hidden among the 'security updates' too
>>
>>54179825
Fuck, it doesn't even take that long if you just choose to ignore the update on the Windows Update program. It's literally just clicking a check box.

That said, I just wound up dumping the entire OS.
>>
>>54179845
>I never gave permission.

You did. You clicked a button that said install at some point. You think you didn't because you probably just clicked it without reading it.
>>
>>54179851
Been using Windows since 95, and when it comes to Microsoft, you should always stay on top of your operating system.
>>
>>54179650
I bet each over would give you the time, once it's loaded.
>>
>>54179851
Yeah, it is. Software updates can wreck systems all the time, not even counting Windows 10 upgrade.

You also need to stay on top of your security, online.

Despite claims, nothing is idiot proof, and it's actually worse to have an idiot who doesn't know he's an idiot than it to have an idiot who realizes that he needs help.

Stay on top of your shit. With Windows, you should set aside a minimum of 30 minutes per week. If you haven't disabled the update to Windows 10, then you also need to stay kept up in the news, because it is, for all intents and purposes, a spyware OS system.

Besides, can't you just roll it back? Yeah, it will take a while, but preventing spyware and viruses is a lot easier than curing it.
>>
>>54179872

I'm glad you're so certain. I mean, it's not like MS has done anything to fuck over late adopters already.

Oh, wait...

Unless they subtly changed the "Ask me later" button to mean "Go ahead and install it whenever because fuck it", I didn't agree to shit.
>>
>>54179913
>it's actually worse to have an idiot who doesn't know he's an idiot
That's OP and the majority of windows users: normals.
>>
>>54179851
Would think when you see windows 10 ad on your update program,task bar and everywhere else, you would search on Google how to disable/remove it. the task bar notification even tells you that it is pre-downloading files.
>>
>>54179920
I am certain. Some other retard posted the same kind of thread in /r/Windows10 with the same complaint, so someone posted a screenshot of the agree button. It's in the place where the cancel button usually is, so people click it. That's what you did, and that's why you're shitposting on /g/.
>>
>>54179920
If you've reached the "Ask me later" button, it's already done downloading, which means it likely downloaded as a recommended update already.

This means that you told windows to automatically download recommended updates. Therefore, it is your fault.
>>
>not disabling wuauserv
You brought this on yourself.
>>
>>54179875
95/98 was a different kind of getting fucked though.

The kind of 'surprise you lost all your work' fucked.
>>
>>54179946

Not unless they also labeled that button "Ask me later"

>>54179952

Which is yet not the same thing as agreeing to install it.
>>
File: 1458983665689.png (473 KB, 854x464) Image search: [Google]
1458983665689.png
473 KB, 854x464
>>54179568
>Uh, videogames much?

So you're telling me that you have enough time to play video games, but not enough time to stay on top of your OS?
>>
>>54179937

When you see an ad on the internet, do you immediately search for how to remove a program you haven't yet installed?

There is no sane situation in which a normal person seeing an ad will realize that their OS maker is trying to sneak a new operating system on their computer. Most people don't even know what an operating system is.
>>
>>54179972
Those days were when I learned the true importance of backups, backups to your backups, and backups of your backups that you backed up. Triple redundancy was the only way to stop the suffering.
>>
>>54180006

I'm 30 years old, and yet I can count on one hand the number of times my OS has specifically dicked me around at the behest of it's corporate overlord.

Like I said above, I was staying on top of things. I didn't agree to shit.

Virus free since '93 fucker
>>
>>54179994
When you tell windows to automatically download and install recommended updates, it is EXACTLY the same thing as agreeing to install recommended updates.

You were too lazy to regularly check for updates, and regularly check to see what each update does. Rather than managing your own updates, you said, "Fuck it, I'm a man going for his PhD in CS, and have video games to play. I can't be assed with this small potato shit. Windows, just take care of it for me."

Then Windows, who wants to spy on you (and has wanted desperately to spy on you for some number of years now), made Win10 a recommended update, and even made a news announcement of it, which was posted on /v/, /pol/, and /g/ at a minimum, and you skipped the threads, didn't keep up on your OS, and didn't manage your own updates.

This is 100% your fault. Furthermore, you could already be in the process of rolling it back if you weren't taking so much time to bitch about it to people who know more about your OS than you do, despite the fact that most of them don't even use it anymore.
>>
>>54180024
Only applicable when you see an ad on the internet.

Unfortunately smartasses and assholes such as myself are allergic to advertising and resort to things such as ad blockers. So if I see a fucking ad on my taskbar even if its sponsored by micro$haft, I immediately know something has gone terribly wrong.

>Most people don't even know what an operating system is.
The perfect cash cows for Microsoft. Too bad Apple has the larger share.
>>
>Running Win7 on laptop
>Take a look at updates before I install them
>Mention of "windows 10"in the update message is the only indication on this installation that Win10 is even a thing

*shrug*
>>
>>54180053
>When you tell windows to automatically download and install recommended updates, it is EXACTLY the same thing as agreeing to install recommended updates.

No, it's not.
>>
File: 1459629210045.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1178) Image search: [Google]
1459629210045.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1178
>>54180024
If you see a small fire starting in your house and you could have stopped it before it is too late.

There is no sane situation in which normal person seeing their house about to start burning will realise that fire is trying to spread into their home. Most people don't even know what home is. :^)
>>
>>54180110

That would make perfect sense if "an operating system" was one of the three basic needs after water and food.
>>
>>54179375
>using windows
>bitching when you get raped

Use OS X or Linux.
>>
>>54179404

While he shouldn't be using Wintards in the first place, Microsoft is slime for the way they've pushed this update.

I hope they die as a corporation, and ReactOS becomes good enough to let us run old Windows apps in VMs. They were bad when Gates ran the show. They are pure shit now that a PooInLoo with no respect for western concepts of privacy runs the show.
>>
>>54179845
you have to agree to the license agreement in order for windows 10 to acutally finish installing. if you decline it, it reverts back to windows 7.
>>
>>54180037
If you were staying on top of your OS, you would have seen the countless articles/threads on 4chan about it hitting recommended update status, or you would have seen the countless articles/threads calling Windows 10 what it was (spyware), and you would have hidden that update away FOREVER.

You got lazy, and you paid the price. Now grit your teeth, and roll back your OS to 7.

>>54180098
Explain to me how telling windows to download and install recommended updates isn't giving them permission to download and install recommended updates.
>>
File: 1459909609597.jpg (93 KB, 570x520) Image search: [Google]
1459909609597.jpg
93 KB, 570x520
I actually had a nightmare yesterday about W10 installing itself on my PC
thank god I pirated W7
>>
>>54179375
>Fuck you Bill Gates

Stopped reading there, saged now closing tab.
>>
>>54180259
Pirates were among the first to upgrade back in july.
>>
>>54179515
>>54180037
jesus christ you sound like a cringeworthy dumbfuck
>>
>>54179994
>Which is yet not the same thing as agreeing to install it.
by setting "automatically install updates", you have agreed to automatically install updates, windows 10 is an update
>>
>>54179375
Just run Spybot Anti-Beacon and shut the fuck up already.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.