[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHY IS IT SO SLOOOWWWW
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6
File: firefox-256.e2c1fc556816.jpg (19 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
firefox-256.e2c1fc556816.jpg
19 KB, 256x256
I have a modern laptop, i5, 8gb ram, why does RUNNING NOTHING BUT FIREFOX TAKE ME TO A GRINDING HALT

I don't want to sell my soul to the Chrome botnet, Opera is for old people and dwb/luakit don't have uMatrix

Why do all browsers suck?
>>
Use Iridium. Chromium base, all Google shit removed.
>>
>>54177929
Can I use Chrome extensions with it?
>>
>>54178081
Yep.
>>
>>54177882
install firefox for linux.
on a linux machine ofc
>>
>>54178205
This
>>
>>54178205
of course anon

i don't fucking understand, it's not even hogging cpu but the UI will still freeze up

what's wrong with it ;___;
>>
+1 on Iradium. Using Firefox in 2013+3 is just... bad.
>>
Gonna try this Iridium thing in my Ubuntu machine at home.
>>
>>54177929
How do I get flash to work? I wanna watch jewtube and other media files and I can't figure out how to play them. Any help? It keeps asking for flash player...
>>
>>54179256
Install it, you grapefruit.
>>
whatever happened to chromium?
>>
>>54179307
I did and the browser still can't play any flash files hurr. Do you have to add a path or something to it?
>>
>>54179307
>>54179351
flash player doesn't even show up under plugins the fak
>>
>>54179351
>flash in 2016
you can install the peperflash from chrome if you want
>>
>>54177882
Enable e10s
>>
>>54177882
You
Need
An
SSD
Your specs mean shit when your resource hog is the place where all your data and cache come from.
A fucking Celeron 2gb Ram PC with SSD at my work place is faster than any Core i7 HDD laptop we sell.
>>
>>54179407
the weakest link will still be firefucks though
>>
>>54179421
No, Chrome, Firefox and even IE, Edge, Opera, etc all work fucking faster on any SSD than on HDD, that's a fucking fact.
Leave your browser wars at home anon.
>>
S E A M O N K E Y
E
A
M
O
N
K
E
Y E K N O M A E S
>>
>>54179407
i have an ssd.
>>
>>54177882
been using it for a year on and off and its not as bad as it used to be.
>>
>>54177882
I don't have that problem, and I have a 6 year old laptop (that was $200 new) with 2gb ram, and a Celeron processor from 2010.

Then again, I'm on Mint.
>>
sometimes firefox locks up whole computer
even mouse
why is thar?
>>
Same thing with me. I5 laptop, 6GB RAM, FF locks up quite often when scrolling through a simple forum with some embedded YouTube videos and images. Why is this happening in the current year? What is technological progress? What are all those hipster devs doing? Makes me fucking mad.
>>
Iridium sound awesome, but somafm doesn't work with it(?).
>>
>>54180802
run some tests, maybe it's dying

the only time I've had the same god-awful frustrations with firefox (and a lot of other things) was when my HDD was RIP and going super slow intermittently
>>
>>54177882
It's your ad-blocker. Every single ad-blocker adds a huge amount of iframes to pages.

Try turning it off and see what difference it makes.

Problem is, now you'll have ads..
>>
>>54177882
It takes a long time for to sell all your data to google. Use waterfox.
>>
>>54179407

This. Try it with "private" mode, where it doesn't contact your HDD
>>
>>54181045
>using an ad blocker
Nobody on this board should be relying on an application to block ads when they could use their system's hosts file to block the ad servers entirely.

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/zero/
>>
>>54177882
>laptop
There's your problem.

I'm still rocking a Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, 5400RPM HDD, and a cheap Nvidia card system that I built almost 7 years ago and can open up Firefox, a VM, and a media player, and feel no sluggishness at all.

Shouldn't have wasted your money on a fucking mobile "i5".
>>
>>54181265
Enjoy all your blank white spaces where the ads used to be
>>
>>54177882
Ever since 40.0.0 I've had nothing but trouble with Firefox. I'm just gonna switch to something else.
>>
firefox like to lock up for me when i load up a new page.
i do have like 100 tabs open though.
could that be the problem?
>>
>>54177882
>Opera is for old people and dwb/luakit don't have uMatrix.

Opera try their best to be a good Browser.
Tbh i switch recently from Chrome to Opera,becaue Opera have nice features and its really fast..
>>
>>54177882
>I have a modern laptop, i5, 8gb ram, why does RUNNING NOTHING BUT FIREFOX TAKE ME TO A GRINDING HALT
I'm still using a low-voltage Core2Duo. FF and everything else runs fine. But then, I'm on Linux.
>>
I've been using Cyberfox for about a month and a half now.
It uses a lot more RAM than I think it should be, but it never hangs. It's got a lot more UI customizations than Firefox ever did. I like Pale Moon, but if I ever used YouTube the browser would crash.

Anyways, Cyberfox is really nice for my purposes.

I used Opera for about 10 months last year, but it spiraled into shit in the blink of an eye.

I've yet to try Iridium, but I was not a fan of Chromium.

/blog
>>
>>54177882
Try refreshing your profile. A new install will always be faster than something that cluttered up through years of use. (It's in Help -> Troubleshooting Information.)

Go through your addons and see if there are any you don't need and can disable.

>>54181265
That can only block 3rd-party ads though.
>>
>>54177929
>>54177882
You can also use chromium and disable botnet features that send stuff to Jewgle.
>>
>>54179256
Why would you use flash for youtube? There's literally 0 videos that need it.
>>
>>54181728
>>54181974
How do I remove plugin icons from Opera's toolbar? There's this icon for "login to synchronize", and the icons for ublock o. and violentmonkey that I want to remove from the toobar. I can't find a away to do so.

Of course I tried going to Opera's help section. But for some reason most topics are EXTREMELY outdated and refer to the configurations of the old Opera (before the fusion with Chromium's engine). This applies to the section about customizing the toolbar. So, anyone know how?
>>
use hardware acceleration
http://en.librehat.com/blog/force-enable-hardware-acceleration-in-firefox-on-linux/
>>
>>54179256
I unironically have nothing against flash and said that when I installed chromium a few months ago that when I first need flash, I'll install it

And I never needed it once

flash is gone for good
>>
I use firefox with ad block plus and I agree that it feels slow even with my SSD but I'm so used to it.

It has a heavy and not too stable feel but I prefer it over Chrome and its iterations. Chrome is untrustworthy with its botnet features and Opera is for cocksuckers.
>>
Is Iridium really safe and good? I'm interested.
>>
>laptop
Theres your prob
>>
>>54178353
ram?
>>
use Icecat

don't bother with it on Windows though
>>
I've recently ditched Firefox. It was only after a recent update in the past month or so where it started running like shit for me, and hanging for literally no reason.
>>
>>54182626
Try a clean install or resetting your profile.

Check your addons. Like, try and disable all addons and see if it helps. I've had a weird issue where HTTPS-Everywhere would lock up the entire browser whenever I loaded a page.
>>
>>54182584
It's probably the safest Chromium clone you can use maybe with the exception of Inox for Arch; remember to to use it with the ungoogled patches.
>>
>>54182606
I don't understand why people complain about high RAM usage all the time. Unused RAM is wasted RAM.
>>
>>54182584
It's just a meme version of Chromium, just how Waterfox/Cyberfox/Pale Moon etc. are just meme versions for Firefox. They basically just changed a few settings and rebranded it.
>>
>>54182665
>Unused RAM is wasted RAM.
Only if you actually understood what this statement means instead of just regurgitating poo in loo memes from xda

Fuck off kid
>>
>>54179407
No we just need a good browser. There's no reason we need early 00's supercalculators to display fucking documents whose actual function was already largely achieved in the 90's.

Now sure, the web consists of some 40 bloated frameworks and abstraction layers sitting on top of each other, but browsers aren't really doing a good job of it.
>>
>>54177882
I have a i5 and 2 (literally) gigs of ram and FF is fast on both windows 10 and linux

Don't know what's wrong with your machines lads
>>
So it Chromium the most "neutral" and safe browser for windows now? I've been using Firefox, but it is slow and the deal with Google is worrying, even if it's just for the default search engine.
>>
>>54177882
http://www.kaputniks.org/web-browser-benchmarks-firefox-chrome/
>>
>>54184348
anybody knows how to remove this white glow on top of firefox dev edition??

its triggering my fucking autism.
>>
>>54177882
this is the reason i went back to chrome, sadly

even nightly with the new e10 feature looks like a snail compared to chrome

i'd be more than happy to go back to firefox when they manage to make a browser that doesnt feel like a turtle
>>
>sjwcucks in 2016

Worse than Chrome with QngularJS overlay faggots
>>
>what is hardware offload
Enable it folks or even try tot disable it.
I assume it's a driver issue, Firefox never locked up for me.
>>
>>54179464
dis nigga rite hear, mane
>>
>>54182210
Not sure senpai, it's been over a year since I used Opera.
>>
>>54177882
firefox and chrome have exactly the same amount of botent, what's your problem exactly?
>>
File: firefox.jpg (676 KB, 3840x1080) Image search: [Google]
firefox.jpg
676 KB, 3840x1080
>>54177882
>>
>>54186279
i would rather sell my soul to the nice folks at Mozilla than to the searching Jew
>>
>>54179256
>flash
>jewtube
Jewtube and many of the streaming sites moved to html5. Get with the fucking times.
>>
i upgraded to el capitan, and it isn't a problem anymore. Plus, it's free.

Problem solved.
>>
>>54180906
This. firecucks is confirmed to be developed by low GPA, low test, rad fems and beta as fuck nu-males for resume-ware.

once the lost (lgbtq hipsters pushed him out with pitchforks) their lead developer it was all over for comfy web browsing.
>>
>>54180942
uh oh
are these values bad?
>>
Mozilla employee here: I'm sorry but all of our competent employees are working on firefox os. Maybe next year we have the resources to work on firefox. Stay inclusive.
>>
>>54177882
works on my machine
>>
>>54178353
disable electrolysis
delete firefox profile folder
create a small ramdisk partition for it if none of these work
>>
Old GPU + OS with shitty GPU support = shitty browsing experience
>>
File: 1460639078859.jpg (18 KB, 399x388) Image search: [Google]
1460639078859.jpg
18 KB, 399x388
>>54177882

I am so fucking sick of your kind.

The reason Firefox runs badly for you is because you're an aspie retard who does retarded things. Stop using 7,000 addons, stop keeping your browser open for months on end, stop fucking with Windows in ways it's not meant to be fucked with and restart your damn laptop at least once a week. Also stop doing whatever other retarded shit that I'm 100% sure you're doing.
>>
>>54177882
Deal with it, either pick a fork or submit to the Chrome empire!.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.