[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>This is Microsoft's idea of "design" >This
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 9
File: 4.jpg (3 MB, 4912x3264) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
3 MB, 4912x3264
>This is Microsoft's idea of "design"
>This is Microsoft's response to Steve Job's "they have no taste comment"

this...is a joke, right?
>>
>>54176163
Not really

They are actually quite nice. Its suffers from Apple tax syndrome though. Way overpriced for what you are getting.
>>
File: Apple-ADB-mouse.jpg (662 KB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
Apple-ADB-mouse.jpg
662 KB, 3072x2304
>Function over form
>>
It's an incredible piece of engineering. You might not like the look of it and whatever, that's your aesthetic, but if you can't appreciate the hinge for what it is and does then that's on you.
>>
>>54176193
I agree it is.

But if I'm going to spend a shit ton of monye on something, I expect it to look good. And that does't (imo of course)
>>
>>54176163
It's actually beautiful and very durable plus it functions to keep the screen clear of the keys so you don't end up with greasy letters on the screen.
>>
>>54176193
An incredible piece of engineering that will immediately scratch any surface you place it upon when opening it. Its terrible.
>>
>>54176191
This is fake, it doesn't have a charge port on the bottom and the top isn't one big button
>>
>>54176215
Instead you just get dust and backpack lint
>>
>>54176237
Both of which are removed with far less effort than greasy marks.
>>
>>54176163
That hinge is an amazing design piece. My engineering class is actually going to be analyzing that in a few weeks.
>>
Nothing like having something slide in that crack and break off a key/scratch the screen.
>>
File: 1461275521373.jpg (41 KB, 523x702) Image search: [Google]
1461275521373.jpg
41 KB, 523x702
>>54176163
these are actually pretty nice apparently, albeit overpriced. Windows 10 on the other hand...
>>
>>54176453
The Frankenstein aspect of Windows 10 fries my fucking brain.

But if you use OOSU10, autistically manage power management, and use the right programs, it's actually pretty great

I haven't heard enough praise for its window management though. God tier. Literally the best in any DE out there
>>
had one for two weeks, sold it, bought another macbook, constant power issues, the hinge was pointless and it got warm quick.......
>>
>>54176421
>things that have never happened and won't happen

>>54176988
>not using a full stop to separate your sentence meaning your complaints are in order coming after buying a macbook
>>
File: 1457952562946.png (2 MB, 900x1285) Image search: [Google]
1457952562946.png
2 MB, 900x1285
Surface Book was an interesting concept with modular laptops (dGPU stored in keyboard) but it ultimately shows how confused and uncoordinated Microsoft's teams are because it feels like a concept that was going to apply to the SP4, not a another product
Also the SB sucks in terms of portability , bad battery life and uncomfortablely heavy for drawing
>>
Yes OP, Microsoft is a joke.
>>
>>54176193
Am I the only guy who likes the look of surfacebook + the hinge?

Would be a god-tier laptop if it didn't have that garbage windows 10.
>>
>>54176769
the discontinuity in UI triggers my autism way beyond the spying
>>
>>54177239
I messed with a couple at work, its nice.
>>
>>54177116
Battery tech needs to improve a lot for the weight to be reduced enough for comfortable drawing.
>>
>>54176163

ive tried at the local best buy
the hinge and the tablet work well
its fucking sexy, but i cant justify spending 3000 bucks on it when i can get an x201 tablet for $99
>>
File: JoelJurion-Bar.jpg (65 KB, 466x720) Image search: [Google]
JoelJurion-Bar.jpg
65 KB, 466x720
>>54177615
SP4 is fine, last 6 hours and is pretty light.
The SB has neither of these things, you can't draw using the usual mode because the hinge bounces (unlike Lenovo and HP laptops), even draw with it in the reverse-laptop Frankenstein mode isn't usable because you can't access shortcuts with the display covering the keyboard.
The SP4 is an improved and effective product, the SB was made by the C-team but it looked nice so it became the premium product
>>
>Microsoft Scratchbook

How did the fact that it'll fuck up any average desk surface get past the design stage? What a fucking blunder.
>>
Looks tacky as fuck but I love it.
>>
>>54177729
Yes, I have an SP4 and it works great on your lap or on a table. But standing and holding it in one arm gets tiring aftet a few minutes. try holding one edge, fells like your thumb is gonna punch through it. Luckily the Type Cover's material makes holding the computer much much more comfortable.
Protip, flip the typecover around and reattach it to the back so you don't have to feel the keyboard on the back.
>>
>>54176163
It looks nice. Not buying one though because I have no practical reason to spend that much on a laptop that I'd barely ever use anyway.
>>
>>54176186
The reason why Microsoft is pricing their hardware so high is because OEMs threatened they will not support Windows if Microsoft competes with them on the same prices.

So Microsoft calmed them down by telling them they will make these products only for the premium market and price them accordingly. So, these are really supposed to compete with Apple's hardware both in build quality, specs and price. They're trying to avoid any competition with Lenovo, Asus, HP, etc etc.
>>
>>54177749
Average desks aren't made of glass.
>>
>>54176230
Isn't one of the more recent Apple mice actually like that?
>>
>>54178450
>OEMs threatened they will not support Windows
Who gives a fuck about OEMs though? It would be great if Microsoft could filter out shitty laptop OEMs with all their bloat and shitty design.
Normies will still buy Windows laptops regardless of brand, they'll buy whatever is cheap and fits their needs
>>
>>54179168
MIcrosoft gives a fuck, obviously, about OEM support for Windows. They wouldn't want OEMs to ship PCs without a preinstalled OS, would they?
>>
>>54176453
Do you also have one with the minimize/ maximize/close buttons all with different sizes?
>>
>>54176163
that's a pretty good idea tbqh familia. It's hard to believe microsoft came up with it.
From a design standpoint, what's wrong with it?
>>
>>54176163
yay a laptop that's way too thin to actuall be of any fucking use beyond surfacing the internet.

Have fun burning it out over a couple years to the point it doesn't function properly anymore. I have used 3 slim devices like ends this to do work on the go and every single one of them up being worthless.

What's the god damn point? You pay extra for that power but you can't even use it without having a fan blowing on the things. I had a macbook pro where the keyboard and frame warped from the heat. Then I used a tablet PC and it got so fucking hot your hands would sweat while holding it. Same fucking shit for the cintiq companion devices.
>>
>>54179244
They shouldn't give a fuck. What are they going to do? Sell a laptop with linux? Top kek
>>
>>54176163
>form over function

it's like fucking yourself right in the ass! Go do it OP!
>>
I actually like the Surface Book but they should close the gap.
>>
>>54179454
But what if OP likes buttsecks?
>>
File: 1461282155845.jpg (180 KB, 1000x615) Image search: [Google]
1461282155845.jpg
180 KB, 1000x615
>>54176163
>>
>see thread
>"hey that looks cool, I might buy one of those."
>go to microshaft website
>over $2000 for a cool little gimmick
>lolno
>>
>>54179440
you are a clueless imbecile, are you not
>>
>>54182640
based
>>
>>54182640
Let's think about it, when was the last time Apple innovated about a design ?
>>
>>54185303
Apple knows which ideas to steal.
>>
>>54179440
You must be fucking dumb... Why the hell do you think Windows saw a big spread in its sales, it wasn't for its quality neither yesterday nor today of course, it was cause OEMs could pay literally almost nothing to put windows on their machines... If OEMS stop using Windows as their main Os in their customer products Microshit is going to have a bad time regardless of what the next OS they will use next
>>
>>54176163
>giving a shit to what the "natural herbs liver treatment" guy that made "form over function" says

Yeah, no. Fuck him... oh wait, he already left the building.
>>
>>54185421
>Apple knows which ideas to steal.
like LG prada?
>>
>>54176186
I think for the build quality, detachable gpu, fucking badass display, and battery near cintiq quality stylus and drawing support, it's not really that over priced.
>>
>>54178450
>OEMs threatened they will not support Windows

Meanwhile in other empty threats. Greenpeace threaten to stop breathing unless fossil fuels are made illegal.

Please, let them.
>>
>>54185759
>implying an OEM couldnt make linux computers that are not only viable but popular and wreck microsoft

or even some spin of android
>>
>>54185303
They invented curved rectangle mobile phone shape and have patent proving it!
>>
>>54176193
>It's an incredible piece of engineering.

It's over-designed and under-thought.

I really can't fathom why anyone at microsoft would think that consumers want a gimped tablet that, because it's detachable, also trashes the overall design.

It looks, feels and works like a conceptual device but is actually shipping?

Should of just made a GOAT ultrabook imo.
>>
>>54178450
I doubt that
There's no way they'd drop microshit os because they released a laptop
That'd be threatening a murder suicide
>>
>>54185789

They could, but being profitable with them is an entirely different story.
>>
>>54177729
>SP4 is fine, last 6 hours
That's it? My Surface Pro 3 last almost 20 when drawing and taking notes, loses like 5% battery every hour
>>
If it didnt have a locked bootloader and could be fully foss for its microcode then id get it and install debian or something
>>
>>54185902
You can easily disable secure boot and install Linux on it, it'll just run like ass because lolnodrivers
>>
>>54185944
yeah that too, id write drivers in my spare time but i have no idea how
>>
>>54176163
What is that fucking connector?
>>
File: betamax.jpg (393 KB, 3285x2464) Image search: [Google]
betamax.jpg
393 KB, 3285x2464
You're joking, right?
>>
>>54186074
looks alright. A bit flat but at least its got stuff going on
>>
>>54186183
It looks like shit compared to the PS4 or even the Wii U. Not to mention MS got schooled in the hardware department by Sony
>>
>>54186530
Who gives a nigger's dick what consoles look like?
>>
>>54186530
>Using a console
>>
>>54186551
OP tried to imply Microsoft's designs are good, I think they're shit, they really don't have any taste.
>>
>>54186530
They're consoles, hardware is guaranteed to be shit so it doesn't even matter
Wii U is the weakest of the 3 but has the most games that run at 1080p 60fps
>>
>>54176215
God point. My 14" clevo w840 has in fixable scratches on the screen. Anyway the reviews have I last time I looked in to SB it was full of bugs,, any change in that?
>>
File: Poch4n-1.jpg (521 KB, 1280x1196) Image search: [Google]
Poch4n-1.jpg
521 KB, 1280x1196
>>54186597
Surface book is shit, absolutely ugly mac-wannabe.
I like the SP3/4 and Lumia 950 designs though, wouldn't touch a Lumia with a 10' pole though, it had some interesting concepts like Continuum which could've been used to improve workflow between a hypothetical W10 desktop and the Lumia (like how OSX acts with an iPhone) but ended up being a "In case you found some stray monitor that no one is using for whatever fucking reason, you can plug yourLumia into it with this inconvenient box and set of wires to act as some kind of Frankenstein PC!"

It's a good thing the smart people are the ones working the Surface line, it's practically their only good product. Looks good and performs well for what it's intended for, all it needs to really do.
>>
>>54186074

The Xbone is ugly and boxy, but on the plus side the massive fan means it's whisper silent. My PS4 can get quite noisy by comparison when it's being pushed.
>>
>>54186597
> OP tried to imply Microsoft's designs are good
> "design"
Nah, I think you're wrong.
>>
>>54187012

I think some of the newer RS1 builds can Miracast the Continuum desktop to displays. That alone makes it much more useful. If you have a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse, you can hypothetically do everything wirelessly.
>>
>>54176186
>Its suffers from Apple tax syndrome
Barely, yes it's expensive as fuck and an overall better rMBP is cheaper but we talk about a device with great 16:10 screen, solid battery life in laptop mode and decent build quality. The only issue with the Surfacebook is the hinge, it's still vastly better than any other Windows laptop.

>>54186074
>underpowered hardware in a huge plastic box
>>
>>54187189
I don't think RS1 is put yet. Either way it doesn't make much of a difference, you'd almost never see an unused monitor to connect to that isn't already plugged in a desktop PC, though I can see it being useful in an office environment if you can connect it to the projector; essentially no need to bring a laptop for presentations since I believe it has PPt.
>>
>>54176453
This shit makes X11 seem consistent

Fuck off M$
>>
>>54176163
A friend has one and I have to say that the design and overall build quality is quite good, considering it revolves around the detachable discrete graphics gimmick.
I'm not interested in getting one at all since the thing is hilariously overpriced, though.

>>54187235
The screen is actually 3:2 which is quite nice for both work and media consumption.
>>
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?
>>
>>54182640
kek
>>
>>54188575
Eh, 3:2 is damn close to 16:10, and suboptimal for media consumption, due the black bars. Now work is where it shines and pretty much the only reason to spend so much on a laptop. Animu machine for 1500 is quite excessive.
>>
File: JoelJurion-Leia.jpg (1 MB, 1400x1299) Image search: [Google]
JoelJurion-Leia.jpg
1 MB, 1400x1299
>>54185865
meant actively working photoshop, skylake is slightly more efficient but the battery is also slightly smaller so it equalizes.
>>54187189
I might get myself a Lumia if M$ can make one with a non-plastic feel and effective communication between it and surface for workflow. Hate the UI, though
>>54188929
>work
kek, read >>54177729, and if you're gonna say "not my all work is design" then just buy an X1 Yoga. SB fails at one of the most integral aspects of it's design
>>
>>54189220
6h battery life is pretty pathetic and it's not like the SB is really heavy, just less light than some other laptops.

Also SP4 is primary a tablet, while SB is primary a laptop, different devices, mate, and SP4 blows as laptop due the lack of lap-ability.

Although overall the design is certainly better on the SP4, the hinge is an abomination.

>X1 Yoga
16:9 trash.
>>
I have one and I think it looks much better than apples bland design
>>
>>54189396
Apples design feels bland because everybody else is copying it. Well, even themselves these days.
>>
>>54189480
Microsoft didn't copy it though
>>
>>54189504
Yeah, hence it feels fresher, although the silver keys look pretty shitty and the hinge ... ugh.

It's quite ironic that MS who are mainly a software company came up with a much better design and overall device than all the other Windows laptop makers.
>>
>>54179440
Chromebooks.
>>
>>54185836
Read this piece, it explains exactly what I was trying to say:

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-surface-book-marketing-problem-oems-2015-10

Basically Microsoft is overpricing the Surface products to make sure they are not competing directly with OEMs. And they are also focusing on making a premium product, which is supposed to have a halo effect on other Windows tablets sales.

Not sure their strategy works like that though or if it's just a bluff. Surface is already stealing clients from Dell, HP, Lenovo.
>>
>>54186074

Hey, you're not wrong. Compared to the PS4, in terms of design, the Xbox One is a fucking joke. The hilarious thing is that this picture doesn't even include the fuck-hueg power supply that is on top of the fuck hueg box. The PS4 is smaller, has a slightly more powerful GPU and manages to STILL pack it's PSU inside the unit.

I realize that Microsoft designed the Xbox One this way to give it every advantage when it comes to airflow so they can avoid having the Red Ring of Death happen again, but it doesn't make it any less embarrassing.
>>
>>54176163
Is that a curling iron?
>>
>>54179168
>Who gives a fuck about OEMs though?
That's literally almost all of Microsoft's business
>>
>>54185818
>should of

Argument invalidated. This board is for literates.
>>
>>54189530

You might not like the aesthetics of the silver keys, but I'm typing on it right now and let me tell you, the material feel phenomenal. Macbook keyboards start to look like shit pretty past and they get greasy and slick. These keys seem to refuse to hold grease, and I don't know if the wearing is going to happen here, but I'm pretty sure the keys are the same alloy as the body and therefore shouldn't wear simply from fingertips.
>>
>>54185818
It's called the HP Spectre.
>>
>>54176163
>>>/fa/
>>
>>54190490
>the keys are the same alloy as the body
Sounds pretty nice, also surprised that they didn't cheap out on that. Haven't had the chance to try it yet, because no store here presents them.

Although the grease argument is a tad too subjective. Never had any issues with standard laptop keyboards, since flat island keys are pretty easy to clean and I always make sure my stuff looks as good as new.

Does the material make the keys feel a bit colder too?

>>54190611
>le genetic macbook-clone with 16:9 screen
At least other shitty ultrabooks have some defining feature, XPS has the bezels, X1 has the clitmouse. Why would anybody pick the Spectre?
>>
>>54190686
I wouldn't say "colder," maybe just a little cooler.
>>
>>54176453
Requesting that screen cap of an I wider explaining how the windows curry basement deals with the GUI and how they've been patching and repatching shit for so long that oversight has long been lost.
>>
>>54191581
>I wider
*insider
>>
>>54179070
The wireless mouse has its charge port on the bottom, which makes it completely useless whilst charging.
>>
>>54190611

What's your point? Trying to name a device with a worse hinge design than the Surface Book?
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.