[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When will USB and micro-USB finally die? USB-C is superior in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: usbc-ft.jpg (252 KB, 1434x1074) Image search: [Google]
usbc-ft.jpg
252 KB, 1434x1074
When will USB and micro-USB finally die? USB-C is superior in every way.
>>
>muh reversible
>pandering to incompetent people
>>
>>54160783
Why should them die? There's literally nothing wrong with them.
>>
>USB-C is superior in every way.
More expensive to manufacture.
But I'll agree that it's snazzy.
>>
>>54160797
don't be a fucking faggot.

as for OP, this is a stupid question. How long did it take before firewire devices finally stopped showing up here and there? How long before USB 3.0 became more common than 2.0? For that matter, is that even the case? Most low-cost peripherals (understandably) still use 2.0, so virtually every desktop motherboard doesn't even *entirely* offer 3.0 ports - there are a few 2.0 and a few (perhaps mostly) 3.0 ports.

The only real answer to your question is "a long fucking time". Any more precise than that and you're asking us to treat you like a child with a very specific figure that we both know is horse shit.

5 years. Or 10. Nobody can say for sure.
>>
>>54160844
It only takes Google to release the next Nexus with USB-C. Apple just said fuck it one day and did it with the 12 inch MacBook. The same with Lightning cable. Someone just has move on it.
>>
File: standards.png (39 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
standards.png
39 KB, 500x283
>>54160821
>>
>>54160955
I'm not sure about the 6P, but the 5X does have USB-C.
>>
Considering there is still stuff being sold that uses mini-USB and that connector was deprecated by micro-USB in 2007, a very long time from now.
>>
>>54160783
Never BECAUSE YOU BUY SAMSHIT YOU STUPID FUCK GODDAMN
>>
>>54160783
USB-C can fry your computer if the cable isn't made properly:
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/131187/20160205/cheap-usb-type-c-cords-can-burn-your-gadgets-best-usb-c-accessories-to-buy-instead.htm
>>
I wish chunkier things like video game controllers would stick with B since it's far more robust.
>>
How does not fall out of port?
>>
>>54161210
>hello? microsoft support? I shoved an ethernet cable into my controller and now it wont charge what shoudl i do
>>
>>54161129
Many things can fry your computer if not manufactured properly.
>>
>>54161210
Are you kidding? I've dealt with more broken Mini-B than any other connector. See BlackBerry phones and PS3 controllers.
MicroUSB, however, don't tend to break in my experience. The cable wears out before the port does.
>>
>>54161116
Soon amoled will be standard and then how will you live?
>>
>>54161262
I've never broke a mini B port. The micro B port on my DS4 became shitty and loose, 60 dollars down the drain.
>>
>>54161252
>>54161262
fug. I meant mini
>>
>>54160783
It took nearly 20 years for USB to MOSTLY replace ps/2, serial, and parallel ports.

Given how many normal USB devices are there in the world right now, I'd say it'll take 20 more years for USB-C to replace normal USB.
>>
NO MORE SHITTY FRAGILE SHALLOW CONNECTORS.

ENOUGH.

FUCK YOUR SHITTY SMARTPHONE.
>>
>>54161303
>he doesnt own a smartphone

Whats it like being astranged from the world
>>
>>54161315
feels pretty good. for instance, it has led me to know how to spell "estranged".
>>
>>54161298
>ps/2, serial, and parallel ports
All these were niche stuff that went unused most of the time in consumer technology less than 10 years into USB being a thing.
>>
>>54161330
>>54161330
Alright hermit i hope you enjoy dying in apartheid
>>
>>54160783
It'll take a while so don't be a piece of shit about it. One of the only ways where C has the reasonable advantage is phones and even those are going to take a bit to switch entirely.
>>
>>54160783
Except the part where it's weaker and can be more easily disconnected.

I honestly cannot comprehend why people are so keen on establishing a less stable connector as a ubiquitous standard. If it were up to me, everything would use BNC connectors.
>>
>>54160783
micro-USB won't die as it's mandated for all mobile devices in the EU now.
>>
File: PLGBNC.gif (4 KB, 383x211) Image search: [Google]
PLGBNC.gif
4 KB, 383x211
>>54161395
Cause this is practical in a smartphone
>>
>>54160783
In about 10 years time, once the devices that use MicroUSB are mostly all dead.

Apple was one of the first companies that ditched 'legacy' ports on the original iMac in 1997 - yet it still took until ~2003 until USB was reasonably widespread and not until ~2007 for things to start charging with it or incorporate non-proprietary ports.

USB type C is early adopter territory.
You aren't going to see it widespread for a LONG time anon.
>>
>>54160955
>It only takes Google to release the next Nexus with USB-C.
You're grossly overestimating the influence of one mover. You're right that Google moving to type C is a necessary cause, but it's not sufficient.

Converting to type C is going to be a long, uphill battle both on the host side (laptop and motherboard manufacturers) and on the peripheral side. There's going to be at least 5 years of needing adapters for *something*.

If you're browsing /g/, chances are better than normal that you have a USB charging port thing like pic related. Not only will this device need to be replaced, but every single device you charge needs to go. And assuming you upgrade this thing quickly, that's going to be a handful of adapters to make the existing devices (tablets, phones, etc...) continue to work while you wait out their lifespan. Because you're not going to go dump your smartphone today on the basis that the USB port isn't the latest and greatest.

And every year there's going to be more updates of some amazing new feature that USB 3.1 or 3.2 or 3.N offers, and everyone is going to collectively waiver on whether they should upgrade now or try and hold out for a USB standard that can transfer 8k@120Hz while powering a desktop monitor or if this is enough.
>>
>>54161420
Smartphones should have their own connectors. I don't want to connect my keyboard to my desktop computer with a smartphone connector that can be dislodged if you brush past it.
>>
>>54161407
How does Apple get around that?
>>
Never, retard. Anyone with a functioning brain cell could have told you that.
>>
>>54161459
I have literally never seen a desktop keybaord plug in with micro or mini usb
>>
>>54161460
not him, but
1) it's not required until 2017
2) an adapter would seem to satisfy the requirement, so they'd most likely just ship it with an adapter and call it a day.
3) neither apple nor that many other companies seem to give much of a shit what EU law says, so it's not entirely unlikely that they'll just ignore it.
>>
>>54161407
>Yurope killing innovation again with their asinine nanny state regulations
Why is this allowed?
>>
>>54161459
I think the dream/broader argument is to converge on a plug that's good/not shit. Hopefully we can all agree that MicroUSB and MiniUSB are kind of shit in at least *some* circumstances.

I'm similarly worried that we'll end up converging on a shitty plug standard, but I'd rather have a consistent mediocre plug than half a dozen with only 1 or 2 of them being good (if that)
>>
>>54161479
That's the point. People are saying that USB C is supposed to replace USB A across everything, and that's a bad idea.
>>
>>54161511
Europe enjoys different kinds of freedoms than we do. Their white flour is not enriched, and gaseous fuels are not odorized.
>>
>>54161566
>gaseous fuels are not odorized.
wait is this true? what possible reason could they have for that except to make it easier for people to inadvertently kill themselves?
>>
>>54161298
I still see some dedicated people heavily recommending PS/2 for keyboard usage instead of USB.
>>
>>54161479
Some use it if they have detachable cables, you just buy whatever USB to Mini-B cable you want if something happens to the cord.
>>
>>54161566
>different kinds of freedoms

You mean no freedoms
>>
USB C 3.1 is fucking based.
One cable to provide, power, data, peripheral connection, video/audio, etc.
Fucking bring it on I am so jazzed about it.
>>
File: 4862new.jpg (261 KB, 1133x852) Image search: [Google]
4862new.jpg
261 KB, 1133x852
>>54160797
>pandering to incompetent people

that's what gave birth to the USB in the first place you idiot

pic related, I actually had to deal with this shit in the 90's
>>
>>54161870
man, remember IDE drives? worked with them enough and your fingertips would get rougher the way a guitarist's would.

Technology is so fucking easy these days. Shit won't plug in if it's not aligned right, components are all basically like lego pieces. It's amazing how entitled and condescending people in this thread are, given the apparent lack of context.

Like you said, the 90s were awful. truly shitty. things are unequivocally better now.
>>
How about no cables on phones and make them all inductively charged and wirelessly networked so they can be absolutely watertight?
>>
File: image.jpg (231 KB, 900x948) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
231 KB, 900x948
>>54160783
>I don't use thunderbolt
>>
>>54160783
Expect durability and backwards compatibility. I hope to see it used for every phone in short order, though.
>>
if we can use microusb why do we still use that giant ass usb

I mean, it's easier to make use of the big one for projects - soldering, making cables etc, but ehrm, kind of meh.
>>
>>54160783
> USB-C

Half the cables on the market would insta-fry any electronic it's hooked up to. Fucking chinks, man.
>>
>>54161870
Ya me too. When I was 6
>>
>>54161003
The 6p has it too.
>>
Micro USB will stay around for a while, but if you live on the bleeding edge you can probably avoid micro USB personally. Thank god Apple is pretty much forcing people to make type c peripherals. I just wish motherboards that have type c ports would have more than just one. They're not very big, so stacking three ports on top of each other shouldn't be that hard for motherboard manufacturers.
>>
File: 1460237453576.jpg (57 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1460237453576.jpg
57 KB, 640x480
>>54160783
I've been out of the loop lately, so can someone give me a quickbreak down on USB C vs USB 3.1? Are they standards in MoBos yet or will i have to look at PCI-E expansion cards for multiple ports of either?
>>
>>54163378
usb type-c is a connector, usb 3.1 is a protocol.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.