[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/. Whats operating system is everybody running?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 19
File: windows-7.jpg (161 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
windows-7.jpg
161 KB, 1920x1080
Hey /g/. Whats operating system is everybody running?
>>
>>54160287
Gentoo
>>
Fedora 23 on KDE
>>
Windows 10 and Arch.
Take this from an arch user, just stick with Windows or something like Ubuntu or Mint.
It really isn't worth it at all and there's nothing I can do on arch that I wouldn't be able to do on a smaller distro.
>never fall for the arch meme again
>>
Linux as a host
Windows as a VM
Best of the both world, without the botnet
>>
>>54160538
Install Ubuntu
>>
Arch, but I really don't give a shit what you're using as long as it isn't Microshit or Apple...
>>
>>54160287
Windows 10, it has the most security, privacy and support than any OS right now.
>>
File: debian.png (49 KB, 1028x1270) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
49 KB, 1028x1270
Debian 8.4 stable
>>
OSX Real Men use Real Unix.
>>
Desktop: Windows 7, muh gaymen
Laptop, server: Debian testing
Router: pfSense
>>
Windows 7 sp1 & Lubuntu 14lts
>>
>>54160610
top bait
>>
>>54160610
>security, privacy and support

hue, hue and hue
>>
Windows 7 pro and Ubuntu MATE 15.10 on my main machine. Windows partition is only used for gaming and ripping/encoding blurays. Only after I bought the software for ripping for Windows did I find the dev also makes a Linux version. Go figure.

Windows 7 pro on my media server. For small time home file/print server use, Linux doesn't even touch Windows ease of use, out of box experience, and how quickly you can get shares up and running. Plus perfectly working out of box remote access so I can run my server headless.
>>
Win7 Pro on most of my machines
#! on a T22, and Lubuntu on a POS spare part build however.
>>
>>>54160554 without the botnet
>not having the best of the third world
>>
Arch.

It took me 15 minutes to install and it doesn't break and isn't difficult to use, I don't understand the hype about it being difficult. I've installed gentoo and the difference is like basic algebra to differential calculus.
>>
>>54160782
>>54160771
Third worlder Edge user detected
>>
Windows 8.1 because I can't seem to be able to fucking install XP via USB or CD.
>>
Windows 10 and Solaris 10
shitbox projects of the week: Windows NT 4 and IRIX 5.3
>>
>>54160610
nice try Rajesh

Win 7 Ultimate user here btw
>>
Windows 7 Enterprise until 2020, then maybe OS X or Linux i guess.
>>
>>54160287
moving soon to the 10
>>
>>54160538
>Take this from an arch user
>>never fall for the arch meme
??? Arch is great. I love the AUR, rolling release, etc.
It is probably a greater benefit to use a debian-based distro however for apt I guess
>>
>>54160903
Why not Windows 10? Don't tell me you actually believe the memes
>>
>>54160943
go away raj
>>
>>54160959
cut him some slack, Microsoft missed their quarterly earnings target and is becoming insignificant as a company.
>>
>>54160610
1/10, made me reply
>>
Windows 10 arch and ubuntu triboot
>>
>>54161086
i actually do that, except i got windows 8
>>
>>54160943
My main issue is that the OS feels half-baked as fuck imo from when i used it like a month ago, unstable, getting 100% disk usage spikes with an 850 evo for some reason and all the new "features" are useless bloat for me.

Also the approach from Microsoft to the flat memes looks like crap, it's inconsistent as fuck and the mixture between "apps" and the usual windows doesn't help.

And I'm not defending win7 as the best OS ever either but it's rock stable and just werks.
>>
>>54161160
I'm installing it now. It's time to see for myself what the fuss is about.
>>
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise
Have debian on notebook
>>
ubungu, fedora, windoze 10
>>
>>54160637
OpenBSD user here
>>
>>54160287
Desktop is exclusively Win10
Laptop is Ubuntu Gnome and Win10.
I'm a faggot botnet whatever I stopped caring.
>>
File: 1458387425106.jpg (44 KB, 308x450) Image search: [Google]
1458387425106.jpg
44 KB, 308x450
>>54160610
>>
>>54160637
>OSX
>unix
<not HP-UX
<not AIX
<not Solaris
please kill yourself
>>
>>54160287
>>
Home server: Windows Server 2008 R2
Laptop: Windows 7
>>
>>54160287
Windows 8.1 (classic shell because fuck that UI)
Xubuntu
CM
BSD
Lubuntu
pfSense
Mint, Debian, I dunno man I change Linux weekly.

Not going to 10 until it has any value. DX12 and real support of it is some ways off, it currently offers me only compatibility problems and security issues. Yes I am aware that the shit tries to patch the same privacy issues into 7 and 8, but it can be blocked there.

>>54160637
I'll never get how they justify calling it that with its bullshit hybrid rip off kernel. Sits right next to 'hey we are the best for art', even though that ended with the death of RISC. Or the 'it doesn't get viruses' because security through obscurity is somehow okay.

But I can't use it due to Itunes alone, never met a less friendly program and more rage inducing program, would rather use Sudden Death Linux over it.
>>
File: 1460860801187.png (203 KB, 800x689) Image search: [Google]
1460860801187.png
203 KB, 800x689
>>54160287
OpenBSD on my laptop
Windows10 on my big rig
FreeBSD on my home file server
Debian on my xbox360 which I use as a htpc
>>
I use Windows 10 and Arch on my desktop.
On my laptop elementary OS (Windows 10 is installed here too, but i don't use it)
and Debian on my home server.
>>
>>54162661
It's Unix by pedigree. It used 4.4BSD-encumbered licenses when BSD and Berkeley Unix existed. It moved to 4.4BSD-lite/FreeBSD when Berkeley shut down.
>>
>>54160287
>botnet 10
>botnet 7
>xubuntu
>osx

botnet 7 are at work, botnet 10 on desktop machine, xubuntu and osx for laptops, any version of windows on a laptop is utter shit.
>>
>>54162500
>if it's not SysV it's not Unix.

BSD 5 evar!
>>
File: Screenshot - Windows 10.png (1 MB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot - Windows 10.png
1 MB, 1360x768
>>54160287
Windows 10!

Come on /g/, it's comfy as fuck!
>>
Gentoo cause I'm not a faggot cuck that likes to be part of a botnet
>>
mint 17

still debating what distro to hop to next
>>
Windows 7 whit the update disabled on my gayming pc and lubuntu on my thinkpad x201 but gonn change that soon as i decide on my next dist
>>
>>54163396
Stop being a faggot and install Gentoo
Grow some balls
>>
dwm on openSuse
>>
>>54160287
Windows 10.

Tried Ubuntu 16.04 today and was immediately frustrated with the same UI issues I've had with it since Unity was implemented. It hasn't improved at all.
>>
Because of the bullshit of Microsoft of late with Windows 10 being the POS that it actually is, spyware/spying/malware aspects aside, I've converted my longtime Windows 7 installation to a virtual machine using VMware Converter, backed it up in several locations, and installed OSX El Capitan on my Dell Latitude E6420 and it runs about as perfectly as I could hope. Everything works, no issues, card reader is fine, Bluetooth is slightly faster in operation than on Windows 7, etc.

It wasn't a simple point and click affair, of course not, but with the help of OSXLatitude.com and some of the content there getting El Capitan installed and functional wasn't all that tough to be honest. I get slightly higher benchmarks compared to an actual MacBook Pro with similar hardware spec so, that's a plus. Still using a 7200 rpm hard drive so at some point when I find a great deal on a 240GB or larger SSD I'll move to that and get a nice boost in overall speed.

Linux sucks, it always has, it always will so that'll never be my daily runner and only in VMs as needed. I run OSX and Windows 7 at the same time without issues in 8GB of RAM, hoping to get 16GB at some point to improve things (along with that SSD) but for the moment I'm good to go.

Microsoft, thanks for Windows 7 but fuck you for everything since because you're doing everything you can to piss customers like myself off and because of it I'm just going to move on.

Funny thing is I get to say "Fuck you, Apple..." at the same time since I'm not going to pay a pocketful of cash just to own a Mac and be "legitimate" with OSX - I paid for Mountain Lion at an Apple Store so it's mine, they offered me the free upgrade to El Capitan so that's mine too and I'll run it on whatever the fuck I want, your overpriced hardware be damned.

'nuff typed.
>>
>>54163533
Question i always hear mac ppl say 8gb is not enough ram? What osx eats up whole ram or?
>>
Recommendations for a good distro for running VMs?
>>
>>54160939
Mint is sweet, don't listen to the memes
>>
>>54163443
Shhhh
>>
>>54160287
Arch. I'd say it's worth it if you really want that extra customization, but just use Antergos or Debian Testing or something if you want a good distro.
>>
>>54163564

Well no, El Capitan is more lean and less resource hungry than Yosemite was (what a clusterfuck OS that was and still is). El Capitan is very efficient and damned snappy on this E6420 of mine actually, can't wait to see it really fly with an SSD.

At cold boot I barely have 1.1GB of RAM usage (not that I give a fuck but I know some people do). I have about 70 apps installed including Photoshop CC 2015, Lightroom CC 2015, and a lot of others - if I were to open up every app I have installed right now I'd barely touch 5GB of RAM usage and that's a lot of fuckin' apps running at the same time.

My Windows 7 VM is set to use 4GB so, when that's running and I have a few apps open in OSX I'll see about 5.6 to 6.2GB of RAM usage, still more than enough to run both with no issues.

Don't believe the hype: once you get OSX installed on a non-Mac it's actually quite nice and solid, the biggest hassles are getting it booted with Clover (sometimes it's a bitch, especially with UEFI machines, luckily my E6420 is still a BIOS box but it does offer UEFI support which I have no use for at all).

Paid $100 for the laptop with 8GB of RAM and a 500GB 7200 rpm Hitachi hard drive, 1600x900 panel in it (the best one this model offered), Nvidia Quadro graphics (works without issues in OSX), it all works great actually without any issues whatsoever.

I helped start The OSx86 Project back in 2005 so I've had over a decade of experience using OSx86, not like I'm new to doing this but I always used Windows as my daily runner.

Not anymore, was time for a change if for no other reason than to prove to myself that I can still learn new tricks - yes I'm older than probably 97% of you.

>VOX on random shuffle play (awesome music player for OSX)
>just as I type that 97% above a Prince song starts playing
>sad day today for many folk
>>
File: 1388489890090.png (33 KB, 545x500) Image search: [Google]
1388489890090.png
33 KB, 545x500
>>54160287
gaming pc: win10 pro
home laptop: win7 pro mustard rice
work laptop: win10 pro dualboot w/ xubuntu 14.04
>yfw
>>
Linux Ubuntu
The Windows VM is a hybrid VM/baremetal install
>>
>>54163462
remove unity, install xfce or awesome depending on your wm preference
>>
>>54163657
Thanks! How did you make bootable usb without a mac?
>>
>>54163672

Very nice layout, very nice indeed.

>very jealous of that resolution, I have to admit

Good job, Anon.
>>
>>54163689

I used El Capitan in a VM, of course. On my Windows 7 bare metal install, with VMware, I installed El Capitan in a VM, then used that to create to the USB stick necessary - as I said, because I have a Latitude laptop there's an entire forum just for folks with Latitude laptops at OSXLatitude.com so a lot of very specific support and files.

tonymacx86.com is the other big site (and there's always InsanelyMac.com which was the original heart of The OSx86 Project years ago) but the support there is spread wider across desktops, laptops, whatever and not as specific as the Latitude forum is.

So, creating the USB stick took an hour or so (screwed it up twice but got it right the 3rd time), then the install was borked once or twice because I made a booboo with Clover and didn't select the proper options (missed one checkbox), but after 2 hours or so I had El Capitan working fine, then transferred the Clover install and config to the physical hard drive and haven't had an issue since. I keep the USB stick around just in case but I don't require it to boot or use the installation at all.

You can find pre-installed El Capitan VMs (or Mavericks, that works too, but avoid any Yosemite shit completely, it's nothing but trouble really) that only require you to extract them from their archive and then open them with VMware (VMware Player is still free and works fine) and you're on the way.

After 30+ years of using Microsoft software on purpose now I'm just going to use it as needed, so far I haven't found most anything I require Windows for except some stuff related to flashing my LG G4 smartphone and for that I have a spare 60GB hard drive (not a VM, basically) with Windows 7 on that just for such purposes and I swap hard drives if needed, takes less than a minute to do it so it's a non-issue.

>now some Mozart is playing from the Amadeus OST
>another musical genius that died long before his time
>what a sad day :(
>>
>>54163672

>>54163700 here

Looked at that screenshot again and noted the CPU you're using.

>fucking jelly all over again

Damn, what a machine that must be, congrats.
>>
>>54163768
It's just the laptop I use to shitpost from my bed
>>
Windows 10 LTSB N on desktop.
Windows 7 on laptop. Planning to dual boot it with Xubuntu.
>>
>>54163775

Which is what, exactly, what brand/model?
>>
>>54160287
Mint 17.3.
>>
File: 1460507350300.png (63 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
1460507350300.png
63 KB, 400x250
Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit
>>
File: IRIX_desktop.png (84 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IRIX_desktop.png
84 KB, 1024x768
>>54160287
IRIX
>>
>>54163802
Alienware 17 r3
Upgraded the ram from 8 GB to 32 and added a fast nvme ssd (samsung 950 pro) so it should stay a good bedposting machine for a few years
>>
>>54163808
Nice, which company do you work for?
>>
>>54163844
You don't have to work for a company, to use Enterprise.
>>
>>54163834
Lol you really the Jester?
>>
>>54163854
I'm a new user here, did not know there's another one.
>>
>>54163834
>Alienware 17 r3

Nice, nice, still congrats on it, and yep that should work quite nicely for years to come.
>>
>>54160287
Desktop: FreeBSD
Notebook: OpenBSD
Router: OpenBSD
>>
>>54163900
Why no OpenBSD on the desktop?
>>
>>54163910
I use Wine for games, TP-LINK WDN4800 WiFi card (unsupported in OpenBSD) and Nvidia GPU.
>>
Windows 10 on desktop. Windows 7 gave me occasional BSOD, even with firmware upgrades. Have yet to encounter it since upgrading a few months ago.
Laptop is pic related
>>
>>54160637
So you're a woman?
>>
OSX El Capitan
>>
>>54164144
What's Real Unix?
>>
>>54163761
Hey man, you still there?

Have you tried Mavericks on your same setup? I'm trying to get a decent, smooth experience even if it's a bit dated (to be fair, I also like how Mavericks looks better than El Capitan but that's just me). I'm using an i5 4460/280x/8gb of RAM and I tried 20 different things to get it to run better, but animations are still sort of laggy at times and in many CPU/GPU tests I will experience some stuttering that's not there in Windows. I don't know if it's just the OS itself, my hardware (which people claim works just fine, including my motherboard) or I just happen to be missing something else (already played a lot with different SMBIOS and generated an SSDT, disabled speedstep and everything).

I'm about to drop this for Mavericks even though it's a pretty dated system but I should ask.
>>
>>54164288

Depends on your GPU more than anything else I suppose. On my Latitude E6420 I have the stock Intel HD 3000 GPU + the Nvidia 4200 Quadro which I keep disabled like 99% of the time since I don't game at all and the Intel GPU does all the necessary GUI 3D work just as well without any issues. I have practically zero lag or sluggishness with the UI on this laptop.

I have an Intel Core i5-2540m, hoping to upgrade to a proper i7 quad here whenever I can find a price on one, the i7-2720qm is a direct drop in CPU replacement for me but I'll need to get the dual heatpipe HSF for this laptop since that quad running full bore (I do x264 video encoding occasionally) will certainly be more than the single heatpipe stock HSF can handle.

Stuttering is going to happen, on any platform, sooner or later depending on what's going on. When I first look as the Dashboard (Control+Cursor-left) after a clean boot it lags for a second or so as it pulls the necessary info (weather, etc) to feed the widgets but I expect it when it happens so it's not a big hassle and I only have to do it one time per boot, once it's running and loaded it's never laggy again.

As for Mavericks, it'll run just a bit faster than El Capitain (meaning the GUI will) on the same exact hardware because of overhead and how El Capitan now uses the Metal API for handling 3D UI stuff. It ain't perfect but it works, at least for me. As stated I don't game at all (even though I have a few games that would run directly under OSX without issues) so the basic UI stuff as well as video acceleration using Movist (my video player of choice on OSX) works without problems as well.

Your biggest issue will more than likely be that AMD Radeon 280x since Apple does prefer to use the Nvidia GPUs - I'm not saying it won't work at all because with some tinkering and some work yes it will handle the basic 3D UI for OSX nicely but not much else.

Intel + Nvidia = the best possible Hackintoshes.
>>
>>54164288

Did a short screen capture to show what it works like, not the best demo but at least you can see how smooth (more or less) it functions for me as I use it. Captured some comms happening from Nellis AFB in the middle of this night too, didn't realize they were up and active today but I think there's some exercise happening right now (I live in Las Vegas). SDR is a hobby of mine and GQRX works surprisingly well on this Hackintosh of mine too.

Will leave the video up for an hour or two if you want to check it out then I'll delete it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lg3ib5qgbbe7j94/El_Capitan_Hackintosh_Demo.mp4?dl=0
>>
>>54164420
Thanks man, I appreciate the response. I was thinking of maybe using integrated graphics for the time being (I'm sure HD 4600 should be fine), get rid of my 280x and grab something on the nvidia side since it seems this GPU only likes Windows (on linux I've been having even more sluggishness). Currently I don't even game either to be honest, though I do use some stuff like Premiere Pro.
>>
>>54164546
Yep, seems pretty ok. I will try both using my integrated graphics and installing mavericks.
>>
>>54164562

Yah, anything AMD/ATI is basically wasted on OSX aside from the FireGL GPUs in the Mac Pro but that's an actual real Mac so it's different. With respect to the Intel HD 4600, hell yes it'll work great if you just use that GPU - I'm guessing you're using a desktop so, yank the AMD/ATI card out and have at it with the Intel GPU for a while, get everything working then you'll have an idea of where to go from there. Adding an Nvidia card later on shouldn't be a big hassle aside from getting the kexts set up properly, I doubt you'd have to do a reinstall to make it happen.

And with Photoshop and a few other apps I do get *some* GPU support, sure, but it's an Intel GPU for fuck's sake, not like it's the Quadro (which I rarely make use of, honestly) and a bunch of CUDA cores but it gets the job done.

I'm happy with the combination so far and that's what matters, now if I could just get that SSD in here I'd probably be happy till I decide even that's not enough. For $125 out of pocket expense ($100 for the laptop + $25 for Mavericks in the recent past) I think I'm doing quite well.
>>
>>54163672
that 100% scaling retard again
>>
>>54164637
Most of that looks scaled to me, slightly larger than native. (Maybe 120%-140%?)

Also, I own a 4K monitor and using it unscaled is definitely doable, though I also prefer a bit larger.
>>
>>54163672
>h
>h
>h
>h
>Dionysus farts in Tenderheart's gob
Quality IRC channel
>>
File: Windows_7_colored_logo.png (488 KB, 900x860) Image search: [Google]
Windows_7_colored_logo.png
488 KB, 900x860
>>54160287

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
>>
>>54163396
Distrohopping is unnecessary, use and distro that is not *based on
>>
OS X 10.11.5 on my desktop
OpenBSD 5.9 on my laptop
>>
>>54164739
The best botnet
>>
File: Untitled (6).png (207 KB, 1280x1410) Image search: [Google]
Untitled (6).png
207 KB, 1280x1410
>>54167584
>>
File: to.jpg (179 KB, 288x285) Image search: [Google]
to.jpg
179 KB, 288x285
>>54160287
Soon to be main desktop: Windows 7

Main laptop: Windows 8

Thinkpad: OpenSUSE
>>
File: parabola.png (444 KB, 1489x2048) Image search: [Google]
parabola.png
444 KB, 1489x2048
Parabola GNU/Linux-libre
>>
File: pbnavsoftware.png (21 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pbnavsoftware.png
21 KB, 640x480
This counts, right?
>>
windows 7 + xubuntu
>>
>>54169080
Should be posted in DE threads.
>>
File: 1458068012293.jpg (3 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1458068012293.jpg
3 KB, 160x160
>>54160610
>>
>>54169185
My nigga. Just got my Xubuntu image set up.
>>
>>54160287
Arch and Windows. Currently on Windows because muh gaymes.
>>
File: Selection_009.png (2 MB, 1919x1079) Image search: [Google]
Selection_009.png
2 MB, 1919x1079
>>54160287
Kubuntu 16.04 LTS and Windows 10 dualboot.

Windows 10 for gayming and vidya, Kubuntu for everything else.

>>54160538
Pajeet pls go
>>
>>54160287
Arch with KDE
>>
Gentoo
>>
>>54160287
before arch, now windows 10 because the difference is marginal, yet w10 has gaymes
>>
Windows 7, and Fedora 23 in certain situations.
>>
windows 7 ULTIMATE!!!!111!!
>>
Windows 7.

I installed Mint on other machine but after spending some time ricing it I realized that there is nothing I can do on it other than part of work (not whole, since lot of soft I use dont work under Linux and dont like Wine) and browsing internet.
>>
>>54161203
Go get`em tiger, don`t come back and say you were not warned.
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.