[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
File: 1455060830619.jpg (116 KB, 900x601) Image search: [Google]
1455060830619.jpg
116 KB, 900x601
Previously on: >>54101229

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
Which flavor of Ubuntu 16.04 should I get?

Gnome
>Weird task flow
>looks nice
>window title bars are fat as fuck
Unity
>don't know anything about it
>looks ok/polished from what I can tell
>ugly ass task bar
Mate
>is it actually better than gnome or unity?
Xfce
>old as fuck
>buggy
>mate is probably better
>>
>>54140605
I recommend to try all of them in a VM first, then you can decide yourself what DE is your cup of tea. They all have their pros and cons.
>>
>>54140605
I like gnome. The flow is different, but it's acutally way more efficient. Different themes can reduce title bar height.
If you don't like it though, go with cinnamon. It's very pretty with decent plugin support.
>>
File: 1449694986036.png (81 KB, 800x1151) Image search: [Google]
1449694986036.png
81 KB, 800x1151
>>
>>54140605
What experience of computing do you have and what sort of desktop metaphor/paradigm do you want?
>>
>>54140605
do the minimal install then install lumina desktop
http://lumina-desktop.org/
>>
>>54140605
I like unity myself. Minimal wm if I'm using debian. Not a big fan of other DEs, gnome is okay I guess.
>>
File: JesseStarrSmile.jpg (84 KB, 600x799) Image search: [Google]
JesseStarrSmile.jpg
84 KB, 600x799
What is the recommended internal 2.5" SSD nowadays with proper Linux support (i.e. working TRIM and such)?

I'm looking to replace the trusty but slow Hitachi 5400RPM HDD in my Thinkpad x220.
>>
>>54141323
disgusting
>>54141306
Honestly, OSX like, i think it looks super polished and nice, other than that I like tiling WMs but I can always install one along side of it
>>
As far as I know my wireless is the only thing nonfree my PC needs. The processor is a haswell though. I would like to migrate to 100% free software, but will it cause problems without microcode for my CPU?
>>
>>54141415
crucial m4 for lyfe
>>
I don't get it
Setting gunicorn
So I did this in /nginx/sites-enabled/default
(pic related)

But guni.corn doesn't redirect for shit

checked 127.0.0.1:8000, it werks
>>
I wanted to download Jdownloader because I remembered it being a good youtube downloader ...... BUT I fucking managed to virus myself... this is the end of the line.

For no reason - yes 0 fucking reasons I was using Windows.. and this happened, I'm going to install Ubuntu to replace this and keep Arch on second partition.

Why I wrote this comment is because I need some tips for SSD optimization on Linux. Please help.
>>
What's the best video editing program for Linux?
>>
>>54142037
>I need some tips for SSD optimization on Linux
Here's a tip. Stop trying to solve problems that haven't existed for years
>>
>>54142193
I would like to know what write actions to reduce, if to reserve some space for overprovisioning, what format to use .. .access time stamp vs noatime.

I would also want to know what should I go with - my overclocking motherboard allows me to run both BIOS legacy and Uefi BIOS, which one should I go with? Is the GPT file system worth the Uefi? ... Is legacy better for privacy?
>>
>>54142240
>I would like to know what write actions to reduce
None
>if to reserve some space for overprovisioning
Don't bother
>what format to use
The default unless you have a specific reason to use something else
>access time stamp vs noatime
The default (noatime)
>>
>>54142344
Awesome - I appreciate the help.

Now I'm really curious about the bios mode - I've used legacy bios until now with MBR even on windows 10 and had 0 problems.

I don't think I ever used GPT are the benefits worth the update? Should I go with UEFI?

I'm concerned about UEFI being bloated with spying tools because compared to legacy bios it's much more sophisticated and has the potential of hidden shit - while legacy one is just simple.
>>
>>54141899
yeah nevermind this post I'm a retard
>>
>>54142381
It doesn't matter
>>
>>54142166
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're proclaiming to be Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU core libraries, shell facilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is in actuality the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a whole operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is in actuality GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54142672
Nice free bump.
>>
After distro hopping for awhile I've come to the conclusion that Fedora is the best for me. Shit just works and dnf is the best package manager ever, second only to portage, maybe. But I want to use a minimal window manager instead. Which spin would have the least crap left over on the system? I can't do a minimal install because then I'd have no wireless manager and thus unable to connect to internet.
>>
File: 1434111899169.png (108 KB, 359x538) Image search: [Google]
1434111899169.png
108 KB, 359x538
>>54142734
>>
>>54142734
can't you do a minimal install, and before you reboot, chown in or whatever it is you do and install a network manager?
>>
i don't know if i should post this in here or /dpt/, but whatever.

ive been using IDEs to write code up until now. i'm trying out emacs and want to know the quickest way to compile and execute a small piece of code.

right now what i do to compile is "M-x compile" then type "g++ filename.cpp" for the compilation command.

for execution, i open a terminal through nautilus at the directory of the .out file and type ".a/.out".

this all takes longer than it normally would if I was trying to test a piece of code using an IDE. is there any way to do this more quickly?
>>
A little confused about GPU drivers when installing Arch.

What driver do I install if I'm using a thinkpad t420? Never installed Nvidia graphics drivers before.
>>
File: chkedyeah.gif (345 KB, 516x406) Image search: [Google]
chkedyeah.gif
345 KB, 516x406
>>54142823
>chown in
>>
>>54142838
Well first you need to install xorg-server xorg-server-utils and xterm

When It asks you for libgl select nvidia-libgl

Now you do:
pacman -S nvidia nvidia-libgl
restart is mandatory for nvidia driver.
Once you're back write nvidia-xconfig - enjoy your system.
>>
>>54142983
or chroot or whatever, you know what the fuck I mean
>>
>>54143026
Yeah i know(except the nvidia-libgl part) but I was wondering if i should use Open drivers or Propritrary?

I went with propritrary
>>
File: 639full-nicole-arbour.jpg.png (564 KB, 639x637) Image search: [Google]
639full-nicole-arbour.jpg.png
564 KB, 639x637
>>54140605

PLASMA 5
L
A
S
M
A

>>
>>54143044
That's something you need to answer yourself.

You want functionality you go with the official drivers, you're more about ideology go with open source ones which are not created by nvidia.
>>
>>54143059
Ok well I installed

It's not detecting my trackpad ;-;
>>
Unity sucks cock, How the fuck do I make gnome title bars thinner?
>>
>>54143181
But if its sucking your dick where's the problem?
>>
>>54143196
>lelele I made a maymay XD
>>
>>54143133
pls help
>>
>>54143133
>>54143219
NVM, fixed it.

Was using xf86-input-evdev so I uninstalled it and instead used
>>
>>54141449
Gnome with extensions. The weird "task flow" problem can be eliminated with dash to dock. You can set the buttons to the left and put an OSX theme, and there ya go. Plus it's part of the GNU project!
>>
how the heck do i add the network manager xfce plugin like it comes out of box on Debian, but in arch?
>>
>>54144213
network manager applet?
>>
>>54142166
Blender, for more amateurish projects kdenlive.
>>
>>54144213
Isn't that included on xfce-goodies?
>>
>>54144408
>>54144463
Nvm, kek. It wasn't working because apparently u need Gnome-keyring even if you're on XFCE or other DE's.

So i said fuck it and installed WICD and Wicd-gtk instead. Much better imo, i like it more desu
>>
Just scrapped Debian and Installed Arch instead.

Gud shit
>>
Speaking of memes, is updating once a week good enough for Debian sid? Should I wait longer between upgrades? I don't want APT to cuck me. That's what I've been doing for the past month and it's all been going good so far.
>>
>>54144711
is full-upgrading once a week* I meant
>>
Is Slackware worth trying? I'm on Debian and I'm considering switching.
>>
>>54144711
Sure... Its optional dude.

If you can wait a week for fresh packages then why not...
>>
>>54144861
Wait, so you upgrade your Sid every day?
>>
>>54144873
I use Arch and I do pacman -Syu 3-4 times a day depending how much I use my computer.
>>
>>54144839
meh, what slackware really needs right now is a unified package manager. a single program that can handle the repos and slackbuilds. right now best case scenario you use salix and have gslapt and sourcery, and you'll find yourself constantly switching between the two if you do much customizing because there's little if any redundancy between the two so any particular thing is in one or the other but it's something of a crapshoot as to whether or not you look in the right place first. shit gets old fast
>>
Big noobie here

I'm interested in switching from Windows but I'm trying to find a desktop environment or anything that allows me to have menus/volume control/time/etc on the side of the display rather top or bottom because that's what I've gotten used to since Windows 7.

Any suggestions that isn't Unity?
>>
>>54144873
I run a system upgrade once every day when I get home after work. Werks for meâ„¢
>>
File: 4taskbar.png.jpg (27 KB, 640x405) Image search: [Google]
4taskbar.png.jpg
27 KB, 640x405
>>54145222
forgot image
>>
>>54145222
Any gnome2 fork.
>>
>>54144927
>>54145232
Why not just have a chron job?
>>
>>54145222
Disgusting, since it means you can't see fuck all of the window title, but XFCE lets you put shit wherever.
>>
Does anyone know of a program that would tell everything connected to a UPS to go to sleep mode if the charge got too low?
I'm thinking about getting a UPS for my server rack and I'd like to make sure everything doesn't loose uptime, even if it has to go to sleep to prevent data loss
>>
>>54145586
You can set a udev rule that runs your script when that happens.
Or you can look at the /sys folder and see if you are on battery.
Whatever you trust is the best option
>>
>>54145222
Xfce, mate, KDE, tint2...
I think this is possible on most desktops.
Unity doesn't allow this as they want people to recognize their desktop
>>
Hello, I recently installed Debian on my secondary PC, long story short, I want to install Steam on it and I don't know how, I downloaded it, installed it, and it doesn't work. What I'm doing wrong?
>>
File: 1460265611201.jpg (14 KB, 592x498) Image search: [Google]
1460265611201.jpg
14 KB, 592x498
I created a systemd service to automatically run a script that sets my trackpoint sensitivity at log in. However it fails saying "permission denied". Any suggestions?
>>
>>54144548

Wicd is deprecated and abandoned.
I'm using NetworkManager's applet without GNOME-keyring, so I don't know what you fucked up to make it not work.
>>
>>54145991
Say is that that bunny from that movie zoophilia

Anycase 'permission denied' would usually imply that you don't have admin privileges
>>
>>54142037

>having two linux distributions installed

Full. Blown. Retard. Or. Tryhard.
>>
Is Ubuntu Mate a good distro? Is it true that Ubuntu collects info on their users?
>>
>>54146102
It's not so farfetched m8. He has two distros with completely different ecosystems. Had he had a Ubuntu and Mint, for example, or Arch and Antergos, then I would have felt same way you do.
>>
>>54146126
Try the newest Ubanto that came out today. They were saying it removed the Amazon spyware. Any can confirm?
>>
>>54146141
>>54146126

First of all, only Unity had the Amazon integration, which could be turned off with the flick of a button (or running an elaborate script from a website). Secondly, it's removed and it wasn't even spyware, but advertising.
>>
I've been running qbittorrent-nox on my headless Ubuntu server and having trouble with the config files.

I've reinstalled a few times and tried to delete all config files related but it always somehow remembers my old settings.

Qbittorrent doesn't remember new settings either and on restart all my torrents are gone again.
>>
>>54146160
>Secondly, it's removed and it wasn't even spyware, but advertising.
Saying as if that makes it better. I'd rather be raped by a virus than watch ads in my OS
>>
>>54146096
why would I need superuser privileges when I've already created the service to run?
>>
>>54146126
"Ubuntu Mate" is not a distribution.
>>
>>54146208
But you created it with your nonpriveleged user account. Check your privileges with, cisscum.
>>
Any GNU variant to su/sudo ?
>>
>>54146264
Letting every user be root, so the user controls the system, not the system controling the user, etc...
>>
>>54146283
I see... Brb, implementating this feature in my Forbes 500 company. What could possibly go wrong.
>>
>>54146257
I created the service by going sudo. So I had full privileges
>>
>>54146318
Perhaps you need to chroot the folder it's in? Or chrooting the file itself making it executable?
>>
>>54146318

>at login
Did you use the --user systemd service type? Pretty sure those run as your user, as in, not root and won't be able to change what you wanted to.
>>
Does GNU/Linux handle CD/DVD in different way than Windows?
Particularly those with autorun frontend.
>>
File: ubuntu-girl-dropout-college.jpg (52 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-girl-dropout-college.jpg
52 KB, 1280x720
>>54146544
>tfw when no exe
>>
>>54146618
I'm asking because the DVD for my knee's MRI won't work under linux.
>>
>>54146544
Yes. Usually you just mount them so you can read the content like any other media.
If it is an old windows game, just read the init or autorun file and see what you should point wine towards.
>>
>>54146657
Can you see what files is on it?
>>
>>54146544
Yes, it handles it exactly the same as any other removable media, i.e. doesn't do anything with it
>>
>>54146673
>>54146661
The autorun.inf point towards autorun.exe
But the thing crashes when running under WINE.
There is a folder named "RESOURCES" that contains a large number of sequential named files about 1 MB each and I think it's the images.
But viewnoir can't seem to be able to read it.
>>
>>54146709
What kind of files is it? (The 1M ones)
Windows doesn't handle files very well, so you should be able to see it from the ending of the filename.
Try open them in a text editor to see if the header reveals something
>>
>>54146709
What's the extension of those files?
>>
>>54146752
>Windows
I'm on arch.
>open them in a text editor
The encoding is missed up.
>>54146755
No extension.
>>
>>54146821
Try Aesculap. I could not find any recent comments on it, but people used it in 2012 to view similar files.
Doesn't seem to be used that much
>>
>>54146840
>Aesculap
Thanks anon.
>>
So I've just spent almost an hour trying to compile qbittorrent and dealing with dependencies and other shit that was missing.

Is there a simple way to now back that program up or even create a .deb for myself?
>>
>>54146983
Maybe you could backup config files/flags/something for next time?
>>
>>54146983
Also shouldn't your package manager have done the dependencies check, it's what they're for
>>
>>54146618
>>54146657
I know, anon. I was making a joke. See vid
>Ubuntu causes girl to drop out of college
https://youtu.be/5Qj8p-PEwbI

It's pretty amusing.
>>
>>54147003
Dependencies might have been the wrong word but while trying to compile qbittorrent I had some things missing that would cause it to fail.
>>
>>54147019
Wasn't this like 5 years ago?
>>
File: 1432949420080.gif (1 MB, 200x180) Image search: [Google]
1432949420080.gif
1 MB, 200x180
>>54146618
>>
>>54146983

Look up guides on how to package for Debian.
>>
>>54147776
>>
How to run a command in terminal and then close the terminal, and then checking back the progress?
What I do now is sending the terminal window to my second work space, but is there a way to do what I want?
>>
>>54147849
>not having a terminal open all the time
Well, you can read into "named pipes". It's basically this:

- start program
- pipe the output to named pipe file
- close terminal
- open another terminal
- cat named pipe file

But seriously. Just leave the fucking terminal open or make a drop-down terminal (urxvt can do that) or use tilda.
>>
>>54147900
>Just leave the fucking terminal open
And risking having normies see me with terminal?
You're optimistic.
>>
is there any reason to apt-get over apt?
>>
>>54147934
It's the same program, faggot.

If you mean aptitude, no. Just stick to apt. Also don't start to use both at the same time or you will fuck up your system.
>>
>>54147900
>````named pipes````

What the fuck are you smoking?
>>
>>54147963
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Named_pipe
man mkfifo
>>
>>54147957
why are there two commands that do the exact same thing?
>>
>>54147963
echo 'lol' | sed 's/lol/kek/'
This is an unnamed pipe. The | pipe can be a file and have a filename, thus "namd pipe" and you can write to and read from this pipe.
>>
>>54140533
>friendly GNU/Linux
But I use Alpine and want to post ITT.
>>
>>54146091
>I'm using NetworkManager's applet without GNOME-keyring, so I don't know what you fucked up to make it not work.

I didn't fuck up anything.

I installed it and when you select a network it doesn't ask for password and just disconnects.

According to ArchWiki if this happens you probably need gnome-keyring.

How is WICD deprecated? It's bretty good.
>>
File: 1429730061158.png (29 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1429730061158.png
29 KB, 625x626
>>54148021
Fuck off.
>>
16.04 WHEN?

Do I really have to wait for burgerland to wake up?
>>
>>54148012
If it has a name, it's not a pipe at all, it's a fucking file and nothing else.
The pipe is what connects the the processes or files, not the files themselves.
If a file can be called a named pipe, then so can a process, so basically everything is a named pipe.

>>54147985
That's not what was suggested though, is it. There is no reason to use FIFOs here.
>>
>>54148045
>>If it has a name, it's not a pipe at all, it's a fucking file and nothing else.
Either tech illiterate or troll.
>>
>>54148024
Wicd's last major update I believe was 3 years ago. There's a launchpad one that maintains it to be compatible with newer Ubuntus.
>>
File: wut.jpg (19 KB, 336x434) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
19 KB, 336x434
>>54148061
>Water company connects you to the main supply
>Your house is now a pipe
>>
>>54148102
No, my house is only a pipe when other people can blow and suck water through my house. This is what a housed pipe does. You can't do this with normal houses.
>>
>>54148005

Because it's Debian.
>>
>>54148122
Still haven't explained why anon would want to use a ```named pipe``` and not just a regular old file to log to instead.
>>
>>54148024

Oh, you mean that. I just add the password manually after clicking on it once and it gets added to the "database".
I don't see a reason to use Wicd, especially since Networkmanager 1.2 came out recently. It's sleeker (less dependencies) and got a better cli.
>>
Hi friendly linux thread.

Im having some problems with playonlinux and steam, every windows game I install have huge sound problems, sound is running in 5x the speed or have huge static noise etc, is there any fix for this?
>>
>>54148163
a) don't be a cuck faggot and remove steam
b) if you're already a trap, kill pulseaudio before you run wine
pulseaudio -k; wine program

Pulseaudio will restart itself without fucking your game.
>>
>>54148193
cant I just uninstall Pulse audio somehow? I already have asla
>>
Anyone else use Arch but avoid the AUR like the plague? It's just a security risk.

I'd be running Parabola if I didn't need microcode.
>>
I have copied my root drive from laptop A laptop B. Why do I get 'illegal instruction' when chrooting into B from the install disc?
>>
>>54148249
>It's just a security risk.
This is why you first check what you're going to install.
>>
>>54148249
Looking over a PKGBUILD before building it must be really hard.
>>
>>54148193
"wine cannot find L "C:\\windows\\system32\\program.exe"

?
>>
>>54148301
>>>/g/sqt
>>
>>54148271
Most of them are unsigned. That in itself is a security risk. And I doubt you check the md5 everytime you update a package.
>>
>>54148338
"friendly linux thread" lamo

its only steam having the sound issues in wine/playonlinux, what to do?
>>
>>54148372
the problem seem to be because steam in playonlinux is using the "winealsa" driver and not "winepulse". "winepuls" works good while alsa sounds shit.

How can I driver?
>>
>>54148398
change*
>>
>>54148036
>Fuck off.
You fuck off, the GNU 'coreutils' are not central to the operating system, they are easily replaceable, they are bloated, low quality, and they are not more valuable than say, Xorg/Wayland/Mir, or libre office, and so on.
Using a GNU programme does not make the distro 'GNU'.

Can't wait for LLVM/Clang to start compiling Linux properly so I can do away with bloated GNU software.
>>
>>54144711
Apt won't delete anything without telling you. Just read it.
Update whenever, just remember to dist-upgrade or safe dist-upgrade.
>>
>>54148476
see >>54148036
>>
>>54145905
You didn't read the wiki page for steam. I strongly suggest to use gog.com instead but here is a link:
https://wiki.debian.org/Steam
>>
>>54142734
>Which spin would have the least crap left over on the system?
install i3 + lightDM and keep the rest aside just in case
>>
>>54148005
Look at your bashrc. Use aptitude if you are planning on running anything other than stable. It is easier to resolve dependencies with it.
>>
>>54148240
Purge it if it doesn't fuck other programs. Alsa usually just werks.
>>
Does anyone know how to emulate the
>Alternative Characters Key : Menu
with xmodmap/setxkbmap/whatever?

I have a US keyboard, but this basically turns the Menu key into an Alt Gr key that some non-US layouts have. Then since I have edited my layout, I can press Menu+a to get ä for example. Tried to figure this out before but had no luck after I started studying a foreign language and was forced to switch to Gnome just for this setting.
>>
>>54148660
Isn't PulseAudio needed for mixing sound from multiple applications though?
>>
>>54148722
I use compose keys myself, since they allow more odd characters to be formed. This would be easy to setup in your xinitrc with
setxkbmap -option compose:menu

>>54148780
No, you can set alsa to use dmux to achieve the same.
>>
>>54147849
Use screen and then just attach and detach to your hearts content.
>>
Hey guys, started using ubuntu recently, just have like 2 questions:

I installed Teamspeak 3 but just clicking the runfile (.sh) doesnt do anything, i just get the mouse cursor with the clock on it. running it via terminal works fine, its just annoying that I cant close the terminal afterwards

and what is good foobar replacement?
>>
Is there any way to build and use this shit on Gnoo/Memeux?

https://github.com/EncryptedCurse/hdxToolkit
>>
>>54148853
>and what is good foobar replacement?
quodlibet, clementine, gmusicbrowser, mpd+client, audacous, deadbeef.
Pretty much any music player will play music.
Use puddletag for organizing and tagging.
>>
>>54148853
>teamspeak
Literally why? Mumble and a lot of other alternatives are way better.
Make a launcher for the file. Depending on your de a .desktop file is a good idea.
>foobar
Deadbeef with plugins or cmus
>>
I'm running Xubuntu 14.04. If I want 16.04, do I have to reinstall the OS or is there a way to upgrade so all my data remains.
>>
>>54148893
You probably have a /home partition, just keep it and install the new one. Upgrading buntu like this is not recommended.
>>
>>54148878
You're either socially retarded or trying to troll, so I won't even try to help you on this.

>>54148853
Use the .desktop file which is usually supplied, use a launcher, launch it in a terminal and just fork it into the background.
As >>54148892 says, use Mumble if possible. Has clients for each OS, less latency, incorporates with your OS properly (notifications mostly), no license required to host a server.

>foobar replacement
DeaDBeeF aims to be a foobar-like music player on GNU+Linux
>>
>>54148892
Because my friends are using teamspeak and it just werks
also creating a link to the .sh file that didnt work, worked

strange world
>>
>>54148789
Is it more stable/reliable than PulseAudio? And if so, how would I set up dmux in Manjaro?
>>
>>54148925
Show them the beauty of mumble. It's worth it.
>>
>>54148934
>how would I set up dmux in Manjaro?
by reading the arch wiki
>>
>>54148925
Yeah, so did mine. Untill I set them up with mumble.

>>54148934
I haven't had issues with either pulseaudio or alsa's dmux.

>how to setup
Well, you shouldn't be running a meme like manjaro, but you can configure it the same way as any other distro: in your .asoundrc.
>>
>>54148789
Thanks, but I prefer Alt-Gr to Compose. Fewer keypresses, and I only want a few characters.

Anyway I found a solution... and it's simple, and from a post on the Ubuntu forums from 2009. Which makes me question my sanity as I swear I tried a thousand combinations and scoured the entire web for posts last time I tried to find a solution. Oh well.

xmodmap -e 'keycode 135 = ISO_Level3_Shift'

>>54148722
>>
>>54140533
So I'm trying to make an encrypted micro SD and I found a guide suggesting using GDEcrypt
I've tried
su
pacman -S GDEcrypt
yaourt -S GDEcrypt

neither worked so I'm assuming gdecrypt isn't on arch - are there any LUKs frontends for arch? or how would I go about doing it via cli?
>>
>>54149393
create a luks volume
mount it
>>
>>54148147
Idk i personally like WICD, looks more functional to me
>>
>>54148021
What's your point? Does it have either of those things?

Also, post proof or gtfo
>>
>>54145372
Because unattended upgrades could potentially break your system, mmmkay?
>>
Wasn't there a new LTS release for ubuntu scheduled for today?
>>
>>54148560
>safe dist-upgrade.

safe? I'm not finding that option in either the apt or the apt-get man page
>>
Starting up comp sci in university next year, just picked up a t420 for a Linux programming machine. Will Ubuntu gnome be a good fit for beginner like me?
>>
Is there any way to "fold" windows in openbox?
Like in xfce or fvwm where you just double click on the titlebar and the window folds itself into the titlebar to its the only thing left visible from it.
>>
Switching from mint to the new ubuntu right now. Would it boost performance to hack away 15GB from my SSD (Which is currently raped by win 8.1 on dual boot) to install root on? The home partition would be on a normal HDD then.
>>
>>54145991
When admin privileges are yours, you have the permission to run.
>>
>>54140533
>using Wine on Ubuntu 14.04
>can't use it on Lubuntu-desktop
>everything is fine on Xubuntu-desktop

What the fuckity-fuck?

Also I try to fight the urge not to upgrade Ubuntu.
Any experiences with 16.04?
>>
>>54150310
probably
>>54150068
sorry, just safe-upgrade. and it's for aptitude, if you used apt-get until now, it could be unsafe to switch to aptitude.
>>54150468
could you describe your exact issue? and run whatever you tried in terminal to see which errors occur?
>>
Are there any good icon themes that AREN'T numix?
>>
>>54150882
adwaita and it's derivatives.

i have a spot soft for tango though
>>
>>54150882
retrofukation
>>
>>54150882
Suru
>>
I just installed i3wm on my archlinux setup and I've run into a problem : the youtube videos get all weird when I go fullscreen. The effect is kind of the same as noise on VHS tapes.

Anyone know what could cause that?
>>
>>54151498
>i3
xD
>>
>>54151595
Did I fall for a meme?
>>
>>54151615
Yup.
>>
>>54151498
>>54151615
You fell for two memes. I'm going to let you guess which was the other one.
>>
Guys, once you're out of Debian stable, which do you choose?

Testing or Unstable?

I've heard good and bad things about both but I wanted more opinions
>>
>>54151333
not him, but they're jolly good.
remind me of icons in qnx photon.

too bad the theme is discontinued.
>>
>>54151715
once you're out of debian stable you choose a different distro because anything other than stable defeats the purpose of using debian.

If you don't mind the shittyness of APT try Ubanto and it's derivatives.
>>
>>54151744
Why do you say there's no point to using Debian if you're not on Stable?

Testing and Unstable are pretty stable themselves as well, considering
>>
>>54150882
AwOken White. Imho best icon theme ever made.
>>
>>54151744
What point is there in switching to Ubuntu if you're already on Debian?
>>
>>54151498
I have a similar effect when starting Atom. Atom wants to be a little box up in the corner when booting up, but i3 tries to force it to stretch over the whole screen and that causes it to glitch out until it has properly started. Idk if this will be of any help but.
>>
>>54151715
I heard you should use unstable (sid?), because testing has the worst of both worlds: less stable than stable and more outdated than unstable
>>54152023
absolutely none.
>>
>>54152023
Ubantos vagina has less trap doors, and dead ends.
>>
>>54152140
But you're at more risk of bricking things with Sid, aren't you?

I figured I'd be on the safe side with Testing, as there's no way they'd pass a Testing batch that bricks your shit...right?

Right now I've been using Testing on my desktop and Unstable on my laptop, with most of my important data on the desktop and the laptop just for on-the-go stuff.

>>54152162
What?
>>
>>54152140
i just keep hearing this, while every other website i've read recommends testing for home users and unstable for developers only
>>
>>54152172
yes, if any version of Debian is going to break on you (which is still not likely) it will be sid. Testing becomes the next stable, so it should be almost as rock-solid as stable.
>>54152240
I don't use anything but stable, so I can't really vouch for testing and unstable. My impression is just that Debian unstable is the equivalent of the respective current versions of Fedora, OpenSuse or even Ubuntu
>>
The following packages will be REMOVED:
gstreamer1.0-vaapi

oh god oh god guys what do I do
>>
Arch users with Intel GPUs: do you get a black screen upon shutting down X?
I think Intel HD (Ironlake) GPU users might experience this (on my T410 and someone else's X201). Basically, the screen just goes black, but the OS is still responsive and you can type commands in the TTY (or display manager prompt if you're using one).

Can someone confirm they're getting this too?
>>
>>54148920

Stop recommending Deadbeef as a Foobar replacement, because it doesn't even have library support. At least familiarize yourself with the software you're recommending others, don't just blindly parrot other people's opinions.
>>
>>54152574
Did you install and enable intel-ucode in your bootloader configuration?
>>
>>54152514
Use a real distro. (Any distro without APT)
>>
Is there battery usage graph application in Linux, just like Android has?
>>
>>54152574
for what it's worth, my intel GM965/GL960 didn't misbehave except for tearing, which was easily fixed. But my laptop is ancient
>>
>>54152574
Not blackscreens, but I got freezes sometimes upon exiting X, couldn't even switch TTY; always had to reboot then. Was using a haswell, I think, but didn't know then to apply the ucode patches. Now I've switched to an Ivy Bridge, and don't seem to have this issue as much.
>>
>>54152662
I used apt upgrade to see what package would be held back if that package isn't removed and it was something like gstreamerplugins-bad.1.20, and since that package is a gstreamser plugin, I guess it makes sense.
>>
>>54152638

Yep, the microcode is being loaded upon boot.

>>54152807

Have you tried typing "systemctl reboot"? Maybe it was working, but you didn't notice it since the screen stays black. That's exactly the problem; the screen seems to turn itself off.

I looked into reporting this upstream, but they want me to build the latest kernel, Xorg, Intel drivers, Cairo and a few other things. Holy shit, that's so much effort to report a bug.
>>
>>54152977
I had this problem on Ubuntu 15.10, on radeon. I'd have to type my password invisibly, and the neventually I'd get output again.
>>
>>54151715
I used testing until I had dependency issues for the first time (5 months) and then upgraded to unstable.
Sid is nice if you read the don't break debian article and the one about unstable on the debian wiki.
It makes sense if you like the debian project, if you are neutral to it or don't like it, don't use sid. If you do, and learn to file bug reports, it is great. Especially now with gbome 3.20.1 on wayland
>>
>>54152574

I got cheeky, tested an older xf86-intel driver and it worked. I guess now I just have to find the version which triggered the change/issue.
>>
>>54140533
let's say i'd purchase this and put Linux on it.
Would be ok for an Android compile environment, right? Could get this for about 300 bucks, as i'm with no access to my PC since a week and am aching to do Android stuff.

>HP 15-af117ng FreeDOS
>4 GB DDR3 RAM
>A6-5200 quadcore @ 2.00 GHz
>>
Where is everyone today? Usually the threads are more active than this.
>>
>>54153592
I think everyone got tired of watching the shitstorm that was happening and decided to spend time elswhere till the dust settles
>>
File: 2348989234.png (118 KB, 272x164) Image search: [Google]
2348989234.png
118 KB, 272x164
Software updater are not letting me upgrade to 16.04, do I really have to download the whole iso and reformat.
>>
>>54153819
http://www.ubuntumaniac.com/2016/01/how-to-upgrade-from-ubuntu-1510-to.html

nvm this worked
>>
>>54152599
Not him but I was a diehard Foobar2k user That switched to deadbeef+puddletag, I like it better than foobar after getting used to it. Especially with plugins.
>>
>>54152514
Does it break anything? If yes, use safe-upgrade instead.
>>
>>54153592
Probably upgrading buntu. Also remember what time zone you are in.
>>
>>54153918
>Does it break anything?

How would I know that without upgrading? I deduced it probably won't break shit here >>54152812

Or do you mean that if it does break I would've found something that told me about it on google? Or is there some specific website where they mention package conflicts for when stuff breaks?
>>
Anyone try Cinnamon out on 16.04 yet? How is it?
>>
>>54142240
i use gpt on a non-uefi bios
>>
I switched to the new ubuntu from some shitty old ass mint version that was completely broken.

Installed cinnamon as DE because I like it. Where can I get some nice spices for it now. The 'gnome' default icons and style look like ass. Preferably would be if everything just looked as if I was using Mint.
>>
I am new to linux and I like Gnome 3. Is it wrong?
>>
>>54154088
Does it look alright?

Get Mint-X borders, Controls, whatever icons/cursor you want, Numix-Cinnamon desktop.

Whatever you do, get back to us. I wanna see how your Cinnamon turns out
>>
>>54154092
Since you're new to GNU+Linux it's probably refreshing to see something new. Once you get settled in and tried all the fancy new stuff GNU+Linux offers you, you'll settle on something. It might be gnome3 if that's your thing, it might be a tiling window manager. It might be anything, really.
>>
>>54154092
No, gnome is probably the best premade DE available. I mean it's shit, but it's less shit than the others. Kind of like how Fedora is shit but less shit than others. Or my shit is still shit but is not as shitty as other people's shit.

Is this too much shit posting?
>>
>tfw I installed non-free drivers and now I'm so paranoid I don't want to touch my laptop anymore
>>
>>54154251
It doesn't matter if you still use the nonfree bios. Anything without libreboot is backdoored.
>>
>>54154249
last point is totally valid. Other peoples shit stinks but mine smells like freedom
>>
So, I have an Asus x205TA. It's a nice little laptop for taking notes and browsing. But, I'm about fed up with Windows 10. Which lightweight distro should I use? Lubuntu? Elementary OS? I'm mainly concerned about battery life.
>>
>>54154198
how do I make my ubuntu look like this?
>>
>>54154279
(You)
>>
>>54154363
yes, Lubuntu is probably a fine choice. If you have only 2GB of RAM you might need every bit of it. Elementary uses a fork of Gnome, which is known to use quite a lot of memory.
Lubuntu would also provide you with nonfree drivers, which would help your battery life. There are lots of things that you can do after installation to help with that though, so just report back here if you're not quite satisfied
>>
>>54154536
Thanks. I figured Lubuntu would be my best bet. As long as I can get 8+ hours on average I'll be fine. I'll probably dual boot Windows 10 for a bit since I have a ton of external storage laying around, so using up the 32 GB SSD isn't much of a concern.
>>
File: 1460852193243.jpg (24 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
1460852193243.jpg
24 KB, 500x332
:)
>>
File: 1459694939156.png (265 KB, 623x720) Image search: [Google]
1459694939156.png
265 KB, 623x720
>>54140533
For Samba, rtorrent, sshfs, should i create all of this with root, or should I create seperate users with folder privileges for each service?

If someone can point me to where i can read about this stuff, i would be thankful.
>>
>>54154363

You won't see any significant difference regarding battery life on different distributions/desktop environments. All the power management tools are available on all distributions.

Do not install Elementary OS, because it's just Ubuntu with an immature desktop environment on top. You can get other, more mature and stable desktop environments like Xfce to look like it. Install Xubuntu, then Plank (a dock) and voila, you have a non-shitty Elementary OS
>>
>>54153989
There is a package called apt-listbugs that will tell you in advance what could break, install that and apt-listchanges.
>>
>>54154686
different services == different users

disable root and configure sudo
>>
>>54154862
Ok, thanks
>>
I'm confused about why /proc is called a pseudo-filesystem. I don't get the abstraction.
>>
How do I learn how to contribute to huge free software projects? It just seems so daunting.
>>
>>54155027
>http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/proc.html
tl;dr: The files listed in under /proc represent processes running on your system, so its a virtual filesystem. It gets populated by whats going on on your system and not whats actually on a hdd in your build
>>
>>54155040
First you write down which projects you like and which of them need help, then ou start off by using alpha versions of those and submit bug fixes, the next step would be to read into how it works and then you check the source. After that it's like every other software project you do.
>>
>>54155083
So, instead of files, it deals with representations of system meta-data that the kernel sends it? That's why it's a pseudo-filesystem, because it doesn't deal with actual files in memory?
>>
>>54155166
In general, yes. The link goes in great detail about stuff you'll find under /proc
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/10011748
>>
>>54153893
>library
>puddletag
using anything but beets to organize and tag yo music
whew lad
>>
I'm still pretty new to looniks and I'm currently fucking around with rsnapshots.

So there's the first sync folder that gets created and all subsequent folders, ie daily.0, daily.1, contain only changed files and symbolic links linking back to the first folder for unchanged files.

Is that roughly how it werks?
>>
>>54155820
>not even including Funtoo
I voted for Gentoo, but this list is shit
>>
>>54156516
>this list is shit
this
>>
>>54155820
>debian stable and testing/sid on the same thing
It's like getting a person born in 1992 and a person born before the arabic number system was a thing and saying they are the same.
>>
>>54150015
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
Yup. Other flavors are available as well, on their respective websites.
>>
File: QPP4gA2.gif (2 MB, 297x330) Image search: [Google]
QPP4gA2.gif
2 MB, 297x330
daily is there any good freedom cad/cam software post
>>
>>54158487
No, they are mostly in /sys
>>
>install lubuntu on old laptop
>want to install steam just so I can chat with friends
>X error, BadValue!
>try installing fglrx-updates which is suggested to fix the problem
>a new error happens
>amdccle doesn't open, same error, doesn't detect second monitor
>try installing MESA drivers
>same X error as before, still doesn't detect second monitor and can't change resolution, added bonus of computer running like complete ass

can I get help
>>
File: 1461209529598.png (148 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1461209529598.png
148 KB, 500x750
Suppose I'd like to encrypt my laptop's hard drive, in case it gets stolen and some skiddie can just get root access, change my user password and get in.

How would I go about doing this? I have a few hours to spare this weekend, I don't mind reinstalling Debian. Is the only worthwhile method the one that always asks you for a password on boot up? Anyone can still get into the BIOS, right?

I've never encrypted a drive so I don't know the procedure. I assume this is done as you're partitioning? Is it compatible with LVM's? Must /boot, / and /home all be encrypted? Just give me the basics and I'll research the rest

Thank you for your time.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.