[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /g/ents, with evo and architect dead, what's the next
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 11
File: lRDTc7a[1].png (47 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
lRDTc7a[1].png
47 KB, 512x512
So /g/ents, with evo and architect dead, what's the next best thing for an easy, comfy, thorough, generic arch installation? Is there perhaps a distro for arch+mate, and one that isn't a hobbyist snowflake dead-end project bound to die soon like 99% of all linux distros?
>>
>>54118353
architect is still working though.
as long as the arch linux repos have the same structure architect will continue to work.
plus architect isnt ded.
carlD made a post about version 3 being in the works already.
>>
Antergos
>>
How about using the fucking guide ?
>>
>>54118353
pacstrap /mnt base base-devel
>>
>>54118353
>pacstrap is too hard
>pls spoonfeed me and save me from the spoopy scary terminal
>>
>>54118353
>architect dead,
Nice meme, go check again
>>
windows 10

practically linux now really

and linux is arch anyway, so why not
>>
>>54118457
>>54118446
>>54118431
fuck off, the lot of you
>>
>>54118353
So it's now impossible to install Arch with Architect?
>>
>>54118694
No, but continuing to use a project presumed dead (apparently the dev made a comeback or something?) is just asking for problems.
>>
>>54118667
>i want to use an os that requires heavy use of the terminal but don't want to learn how to use the terminal
>>
>>54118717
>a project presumed dead
Source?
>>
>>54118726
To be fair. Once you've installed and set up Arch like 4-5 times it starts to get a bit tedious.

I just got a new hard drive and I'm thinking of just slapping Ubuntu on there since I can't be arsed to install Arch again.
>>
>>54118726
It's not about using the terminal, you fucking presumptuous faggot. It's just that a ready-made installer that detects hardware shit for you, offers a bunch of click-and-play choices for things, etc meant to make installation easier is by definition the preferable way if you don't care about neet points.

Why the goddamn fuck would you do something the "hard" way if the easy way exists too and gives you a result that by all criteria that matter is equivalent or even better by lacking the human error factor?

Don't answer that, that was rhetorical. I don't give a fuck what you and your pals think, just get the fuck out of the thread if you hate easy mode installers so much.
>>
NixOS you use only one configuration file for the entire system.
>>
Apricity OS is really promising.
They've got GNOME/Cinnamon flavours, but you can install a different desktop, of course.
>>
So. Evo or Architect? Which one is nicer?
>>
>>54118353
consider archbang
>>
>>54118353
Antergos
>>
>>54118776
How about you quit being a fucking dick when asking people to help you. Talk shit, get shit thrown back at you.
Furthermore, if you don't want to spend time setting your system up, why do you want to a hobby OS? It's like buying a model hit and complaining that it's not pre-assembeled.
>>
>>54118828
Is there a way to get rid of all the Antergos stuff and just make it Arch?

Don't want everyone to laugh at me for being a pleb and to lazy to install Arch yet again.
>>
>>54118806
already downloaded, gonna check it out later

>>54118836
>stop being a dick
>says the guy who decided to just be a dick right off the bat in the first place and ignore the point of the thread by spouting lectures not asked for or needed
>>
>>54118836
When someone asks "pepsi or cola?", "you shouldn't drink either" is not a helpful, welcome or otherwise agreeable answer. You 3 are the ones that started being dicks.
>>
>>54118726
>requires heavy use of the terminal
Modern distros do not require heavy use of the terminal at all
>>
lmao why would you even bother with arch.. oh wait you virgins have nothing to do but install this absolute waste of time os over and over.. oh well thank god most of us have a job and responsibilities.
>>
>>54118941
Well memed
>>
File: dafug.png (74 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
dafug.png
74 KB, 300x256
>>54118914
>neither is not an acceptable answer to that question
>>
>>54118914
The unnecessary presumptions like "look at this babby that wants to avoid the terminal" with no further input while having absolutely no idea if avoiding the terminal was the point are also far outside the definition of trying to be helpful.

>>54118941
That's. the. fucking. point. With a proper installer like architect, it takes literally 5 minutes to set up, unlike the neets you've already seen at work here spouting their "be a man and do it in terminal" bullcrap.

Seriously, is /g/'s average IQ 0 or something? Actually good answers like the guys suggesting relevant distros and such are rare, most of you faggots just bitch about doing things the neet way, telling someone to do something they're not asking about and insulting people with random shit based on nothing.
>>
>>54118941
I have a job and I still have Arch on my own computer. I can't install it at work since I don't get to choose the OS or hardware, I just use them. I also have a girlfriend and I'm not a virgin and I don't believe in gods like a retard. Can you say the same or are you a meme yourself?
>>
>>54119001
proofs?
>>
>>54118978
>I suck at understanding the contract of a question

"what's the next good dedicated installer to use?"
"muh cmdline"
The question already invalidated the answer, anon. That was the fucking point. I didn't ask "should I use an installer or do it vanilla", I asked "WHICH installer". Use your fucking brain if you have it.
>>
>>54118941
Assravaged /v/babby detected.

10 GBs for you today, for posting your daycare board, you lump of pigshit
>>
>>54118353
>installing a rolling release distro with an outdated installer is a problem somehow
>>
So you want an installer that will install the bare minimum Linux, with GNU added on it, and basic software ?

How about just installing ubuntu/debian/manjaro ?
What's the difference ?

Why use a distro made and used by "neet virgins" ? What's so great about it ?
>>
>>54118857
Dont they have a specific repo with all the Antergos stuff you can disable?
>>
>>54118750
Not really any more tedious than installing any other OS. If anything, after you've installed arch a couple times you're pretty used to the whole ordeal and speed through it pretty quickly compared to your first time.
>>
>>54119018
Any specific reason you need your distro to be Arch in the first place?
There must be some distro out there that serves the same purpose as arch but with a decent GUI.
>>
>>54119039
>triggered
lmao archfag calm down you might suffer a stroke or something. don't you have xorg to fix anyways?
>>
>>54118651
>no thanks, mr NSA
>>
>>54119007
I don't live with my girlfriend and even if I did I wouldn't be posting a picture of her and/or myself. I don't know what else could you mean with proof, it's not like I can prove that I'm not a virgin or that I don't believe in gods (except that I'm not registered in church but that would require personal information when proven). I could prove to you that I use Arch but what would be the point of that, I don't think you are questioning it. About my job and how I can't install an OS of my choosing, that would be against my contract to send proof about my workplace. I also wouldn't be doing it anyway since I don't want the internet to know where I work.
>>
File: 1460771163450.jpg (207 KB, 920x900) Image search: [Google]
1460771163450.jpg
207 KB, 920x900
>>54119080
Go take a shower you smelly bottle pissing lifeless unbreedable basement dwelling mouthbreather xD.
>>
>>54119066
Will it still say Antergos when using stuff like screenfetch?

Sounds like a silly concern I know, but people really go full on rage mode if you use arch based distros that aren't arch.
>>
>>54118776
lol, I bet this faggot thinks automatic transmission is better than standard.
>>
>>54118776
With this way of thinking coming from you, I would suggest sticking to another Distro, like Debian.
>>
>>54118987
>With a proper installer like architect, it takes literally 5 minutes to set up, unlike the neets you've already seen at work here spouting their "be a man and do it in terminal" bullcrap.
Sysadmin here.

Be a man and do it in the terminal, you whiny piece of shit.

It takes more time to find an installer and make it actually fucking work than it does to literally just pacstrap and just installing whatever bullshit you need. It's nobody's fault but you're own that your so goddamn terrified of using a computer in a way you're not used to using one.
>>
File: 1460869793685.png (25 KB, 383x321) Image search: [Google]
1460869793685.png
25 KB, 383x321
>>54119105
I shower daily unlike 99.99% of arch users.
>>
>>54119124
It is
>>
>>54119114
ye it says antergos
>>
>>54119137
>I shower daily
Denial won't help, now go to the fucking bathroom you showerless manbabby. Your steam ain't gonna fly away if you leave your chember of virginity for 15 minutes
>>
>>54119152
Any way to change it?
>>
>>54119072
Arch is the distro out of the dozen I've tried that has worked fast and without issues or glitches, and without being overly integrated with specific things like the default DE in other distros, for the longest period of time. Other distros always get a bunch of random issues for no reason, are so tightly integrated with their standard setup that you can't change them much (which is arguably the whole point of a distro, it should be a specialized system) and just generally make me dislike them after a while. Arch just always works and never fucks up.

>>54119124
I use standard myself, thanks very much.

>>54119135
>missing the point and making presumptions as always
>>
File: 1459768473911.jpg (177 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1459768473911.jpg
177 KB, 540x960
>>54119153
i dont use arch, stop projecting
>>
File: jugpee_poster.jpg (14 KB, 236x360) Image search: [Google]
jugpee_poster.jpg
14 KB, 236x360
>>54119105
Peeing in bottles is the American Way
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/47231
>>
>>54119165
>I want hipster cred for using a hipster distro
>I'm too much of a faggot to take ten minutes to read the wiki and install it the right way
First day trying to fit in, eh?
>>
>>54118941
You've failed to install Arch didn't you? It broke itself right? Surely it's fault of that retarded distro! You're smarter than that stupid command line bullshit, it's 2016 who even uses that?
>>
File: 87412132.png (109 KB, 444x444) Image search: [Google]
87412132.png
109 KB, 444x444
>>54119189
>p-projocook ROOOOO
I like how /v/ degenerates get offended when they are reminded to take a shower like a civilised human being.

Get a gun and shoot yourself in the head, your parents will honestly have a heavy burden lifted away
>>
>>54119141
> Feels safe not being in control
>>
File: architect2-des.png (8 KB, 721x399) Image search: [Google]
architect2-des.png
8 KB, 721x399
>>54119135
Step 1, download Arcehtict Linux
Step 2, boot it and click on all the various gui options
Step 3, done

I just see Architect linux as a nice gui way to install Arch without wasting my time typing shit on the terminal and reading the guide.
>>
>>54119114
>people really go full on rage mode if you use arch based distros that aren't arch.
Why give a fuck?
>>
>>54119231
>Hey look, I can move an stick every 10 meters, even if the streets in my country are straight as the cocks I stick in my ass
>>
>>54119198
Hipster cred is everything on /g/ anon.

But seriously, for the little while I used Antergos I just got a bunch of "install Arch retard" comments whenever I had a problem and asked for help on here.

Also, I have already installed it, 6 times now.

I genuinly have both Arch and Antergos installed right now in a dual boot. Got a new HDD and I can't bother installing and setting it up again so I though I might as well just get Antergos.

>>54119259
Because I'm a weak skinned faggot and feel bad when people online make fun of me.
>>
>>54119259
High school was hard for him, he wants to feel superior.
>>
>>54119061
>What's so great about it ?
For me Arch just werks, it seems like every other distro has minor problems with the default setup while Arch doesn't have that problem since you're customizing and installing almost everything yourself. I'd imagine most minimal installs are probably fine though.
>>
File: 1459790711138.png (46 KB, 804x906) Image search: [Google]
1459790711138.png
46 KB, 804x906
>>54119216
i have a job and responsibilities boy unlike your average basement dwelling bottle pissing arch virgin. i have no time to mess around with giant time sinks such as arch.
>>54119226
i dont play games tho. havent played anything in years. but yeah keep on projecting archfag
>>
>>54118431
>>54118446
>>54118457
This. Maybe burn an hour to learn how your OS works.
>>
>>54118353
Archbang, or just use a home partition and save /etc files that you edit, pacman can list all the packages installed also
>>
>>54119189
>posting any image related to xorg.conf getting fucked up
You are the real fucking cancer. New versions of X.org dont even need Xorg.conf or xorg.conf and work just fine with any GPU driver configuration file, which stayes untouched by pacman 100% of the time. And if you dont want to configure anyhing, X still runs out of the box with just the default config file.
Posting that shitty meme pic makes you look dumb as rock. Kill yourself.
>>
>>54119308
>time sinks
Aside from your first install Arch doesn't take every much time at all. You don't have to rice anything if you don't want to, just install a standard DE with all the bells and whistles. Typing sudo pacman -Syu once a week is hardly time-consuming.
>>
File: 1458473866351.jpg (16 KB, 383x400) Image search: [Google]
1458473866351.jpg
16 KB, 383x400
>>54119357
lmao did i trigger your autism, archfag?
>>
>>54119308
>i-i dont play games tho
Suro you dont manbabby. Save the gymnastics for your fat lump in the belly next time
>>
File: 1459067171506.jpg (924 KB, 1660x1940) Image search: [Google]
1459067171506.jpg
924 KB, 1660x1940
>>54119382
>projecting
sick comeback lmao
>>
>>54119260
Manual transmission gives zero trouble to people who are used to it. They don't even think about it. Unless of course you have serious learning problems and will never get to that point.
>>
>>54119308
But you do have the time to go toxic on a thread full of people who'd rather have you gone since you're not adding anything of value anyway
>>
>>54119308
And yet, you're here on 4chan wasting all of your precious grown-up time arguing about distros you supposedly don't even like.
>>
>>54118353
pacstrap
Stop being new.
>>
>>54119357
This, it's weird that people try to claim Arch breaks .conf files when it explicitly doesn't touch them. If people read the wiki for like a minute they would realize it creates a .pacnew file which the user can view the differences manually and decide to merge, ignore or edit.
>>
What is it about Arch that makes people so angry?

I mean, sure, I dislike community as much as the next guy but it's still a damn nice distro.
>>
>>54119260
> I don't like the thing he likes, he must be gay.

Touch a nerve, did I? Maybe if you don't like to do things manually, Linux isn't for you.
>>
>>54119394
>le projogogo
Getting really bored here bottle pisser. Come back with something new. I know it's hard for a /v/ migrant to do so but at least try mouthbreathing fucktard
>>
>>54119398
>>54119402
aight aight, enough memeing for today ;-D im done, thanks for all the yous.

you guys are alright, just had my fun, no hard feelings please.
>>
>>54119395
>Can you use your headphones while driving manual?
That's what I tought
>>
>>54119427
I actually mess with my standard car's stereo every time I drive.

What the fuck would anyone mess with the headphones for in their own car though?
>>
>>54119421
SO you like to change transmission every 5 seconds, in straight as fuck streets?
>>
>>54119453
You only have to shift if the speed limit changes, or if you're starting from a stop. You know so little about driving standard that you can't even bash it properly.
>>
>>54119409
Indeed. The whole "pacman fuckes up Arch with every update" thing is just the worst meme of all. Apt-get used to break my system more frequently than pacman ever did.
>>
>>54119514
To be fair, it used to. I haven't had an issue in a couple years though.
>>
>>54119412
At this point more people shitpost about Arch than legitimately post about it. I just wish the criticisms were accurate . A lot of the Arch shitposting is based on false info spread through images, I'm guessing newfags who don't really know a lot about Linux see them and think that it's actually true? A lot of the complaints about Arch on /g/ seem to fall into "not even wrong" territory.
>>
>>54119462
>>54119450
hahaha, you both fell, Im just bored at my office job right now. I know, and everybody should know that standard is objectively better. But hey, I'm just starting to learn.

On the other hand I heard from who lived in USA that he found boring and lazy to keep shifting, because streets there are straighter which gave another view. But that was him, I suppose.

Also, funny story, my cowroker, the other day was driving with his headphones put. With the traffic here in my city, I found that scary.
>>
>architect is ded

hahahaha i hope so. serves that carl faggot right for being a massive cunt
>>
>>54119573
Explain
>>
>>54119586
Carl went autism-level meltdown on some people on G+ asking for help, banning them and accusing them of complaining about "fake bugs" or whatever. That dude matthew Moore made a video about it
>>
>>54119632
That dumb youtube normie made a video without proper documentation of the bug.

It's funny how he gave up on Linux when he couldn't install Arch with Architect anymore
>>
It's called installing debian.
>>
>>54119662
This is the kind of people who'd totally call the local news because the internet CD was not working
>>
>>54119662
Matt basically went in the Google+ group asking for help, something about the wrong kernel headers or something, and carlcuck accused him and another guy that had a similar problem of lying and that there was no bug or something. And then banned them
>>
>>54119427
This post convinced me that you should definitely start taking a bus.

Of course you can use headphones but cars have had stereos built in for several decades. Only a moron would block the outside world totally by using headphones and endangering the traffic. I would assume that same moron wouldn't be able to figure out how to put a headphone cord under his arm so it won't get pulled when arm is raised.

I am thankful that we have very strict and long mandatory education for driving schools where I live, including theory classes and practice (which includes slippery driving and night time driving) before the actual test. Also everyone are taught to drive manual transmission and they can move on to automatic transmission once they have a license. We wouldn't want people in our traffic who lack thoughts so much they wouldn't even know how to spell it.
>>
>>54119274
>I just got a bunch of "install Arch retard" comments whenever I had a problem and asked for help on here.
That's probably because, when it comes to most Arch problems, the solution will depend on the specific configuration of your system, and will rely on your ability to understand how your system works.

It's not just that people want to make fun of you for being a retard (though that's a part of it). It's that nobody wants to help you solve a problem that could have been potentially easily solved if you just knew how your system worked in the first place and didn't install it using Antergos.
>>
Just really disrespectful move to the open source community. We are all supposed to help! Don't be a dick
>>
>>54119727
>We are all supposed to help!
We're supposed to help people who want to learn. Nobody gives a fuck about babbies that insist on being spoonfed because they refuse to ever learn anything for themselves.
>>
>>54119715
read
>>54119553
Well, I hope you could say that to my coworker, though
>>
>>54119707
He asked for proper documentation since he was the only one with the bug. Not being able to refresh pacman keys is just stupid. He kept on and some other brain dead normals joined in. When the shitposting reached the maximum level he got banned cause carl went full sperg
>>
>>54119742
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFzdzRO9Cz0
>>
>>54119727
>open source
It's free software you fuck.
>>
>>54119852
Okay, RMS.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.