[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
'Drone' hits BA plane: Police investigate Heathrow incident
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
File: british-airways-plane-drone.jpg (81 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
british-airways-plane-drone.jpg
81 KB, 620x349
>A police investigation is under way after a passenger plane approaching Heathrow Airport flew into what is believed to have been a drone.

>The British Airways flight from Geneva, with 132 passengers and five crew on board, was hit as it approached the London airport at 12:50 BST on Sunday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36069002

Should dronefags be hunted down and killed?
>>
No but airplanes should be shot
>>
Sadly yes, those dumb cunts fucked it for all the amerifags so now kids with toy planes and helicopters have to be registered. All because of drone fags, fuck them.
>>
Kinda surprised they even noticed hitting it. Most of the retail ones seem kinda small and flimsy compared to a motherfucking Airbus A320.
>>
>>54107787
LAND OF THE FREE
>>
File: 5623c25f8d11b.image.jpg (84 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
5623c25f8d11b.image.jpg
84 KB, 800x531
Look at these homosexuals.
>>
>mandate no drone flying within X mile radius of airport
>mandate altitude restrictions for civilian owned unmanned aircraft
problem solved. god forbid legislators have to use their brains.
>>
>>54107696
why are people so obsessed with these shit toys? rc helicopters have existed for decades
>>
>>54107794
A tiny bird getting sucked into the engine can cause a plane to crash.

There is a reason why 1) it's completely illegal to fly model planes or drones anywhere an airport; and 2) airports spend ridiculous amount of money trying to chase away birds from the runways using everything from dogs to high-tech sonic blasters

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Airways_Flight_1549
>>
>>54107836
Yes, but the odds are that didn't happen.
>>
>>54107819
>problem solved. god forbid legislators have to use their brains.
Already done.
Problem is that ost drone operators:-
1. Don't know the rules.
2. Don't think rules apply to them.
3. Don't care anyway.
These are probably the same idiots shining laser pointers into aircraft cockpits.
Any law that isn't actively enforced is a placebo.
>>
>>54107883
>These are probably the same idiots shining laser pointers into aircraft cockpits.
Some idiot was doing that at my local airport a couple weeks ago. I know, because it happened on the night I flew back into town. Jerk.
>>
Autists with no sense have to ruin everything good.
>>
I run a professional drone shop in Portugal.
I sell the hardware, recommend best practices and send each customer an email with links to rules, regulations, flying tutorials and warnings.

If a cuatomer looks like a hot-shot, I'll recommend he tries out the micro or nano drones.

The biggest problem is that anyone can walk into an electronics store and buy a drone capable of flying 800m altitude, with no training whatsoever.

I just hope enough of the drone involved in the strike is recoverable to be able to read the serial number and trace the owner.
>>
>>54107696
As usual dumbfucks ruining it for the law abiding.
>>54107827
Because they are slightly easier to fly and safer (smaller blades). Also they don't look autistic. (model helicopter? Model anything? Dorky)
>>
>calling them drones

This may seem petty but a drone to me is a UAV or some sort of automated craft. When did they stop being quad copters?
>>
File: sqhrelzbkq6txsdy4ajh_0.png (1 MB, 1665x744) Image search: [Google]
sqhrelzbkq6txsdy4ajh_0.png
1 MB, 1665x744
>>54107883
>put chickenwire mesh in front of engine
>?????
>PROFIT

Seriously why is there no screen in front of engines if it's that big of an issue?
>>
>>54108220
pls be a troll
>>
>>54108202
I thought this too, but it turns out "drone" just means "unmanned":
>powered, aerial vehicle that does not carry a human operator, uses aerodynamic forces to provide vehicle lift, can fly autonomously or be piloted remotely, can be expendable or recoverable, and can carry a lethal or nonlethal payload

However, they should be called UAVs, "drone" is a retarded normie word (like "megapickles")
>http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-01/drone-wars-the-definition-dogfight/4546598
>>
>>54108234
Please explain anon, I really know nothing about aviation.
>>
>>54108220
>flying along at 500mph
>good thing I have that chicken wire over my engines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCQ2oZtVNpg
>>
>>54108202
"Drone" sounds badass
I use "UAV" if I want to sound technical and professional however.
>>54108234
It's a good question, why is there no chickenwire in front of jet engines?
>>
>>54108330
stronger chicken wire?
>>
>>54107836
>A tiny bird getting sucked into the engine can cause a plane to crash.
No, that's why you have two engines incase of a failure. Additionally engines are robustly tested to withstand bird strikes.
>>
>>54108330
Not necessarily chicken wire but some sort of screen, you know? If bird/drone strikes are as catastrophic as they claim they are, you'd think there'd be something to stop them, no?
>>
>>54108350
The points at which a drone strike is most likely (landing and takeoff) are by far the most dangerous for any flight.

Failure of an engine during landing if not dealt with properly could easily cause overcompensation and a crash, and there are points during takeoff that it could also be potentially extremely dangerous as it cannot be aborted.
>>
>>54108602
If you put something in front of the engines you're going to affect the flight performance but if a bird gets caught in that screen then that will make it even worse. Wouldn't condensation build up around the screen also?
>>
>>54108764
Also lets just assume it were feasible to put a screen in front of the engines. With the amount of power those engines exert if a bird does get caught in the screen the engine will probably just pull the bird through the screen.

Anyone have that gif of the crab that gets caught in a low pressure pipe deep under the ocean?
>>
Pretty sure any kind of screen/mesh/permeable barrier in front of the engine is just going to mince the bird. Whether minced or whole bird is worse for the engine, I don't know.
>>
>>54107827

They take zero skill to fly and are tough as hell.

Plus, thanks to decreasing tech sizes, we can mount HD cameras on them easily.
>>
It was only a matter of time.
I bet it was one of those autistmal plane spotter nerds.

You can bet your ass that at some point these things are going to either require a license or then the consumer grade stuff gets some built in altitude limiter in them.
>>
>>54107696
>cockroach brit plane
who cares
>>
>>54107696
>tfw dronefags are gonna ruin it not just for themselves but for rocketryfags as well
>>
Government doesn't realize the power drones give people before they drones are on the market.

Need to justify a reason to ban them. False flag a drone into an aircraft.

Same logic applies to handheld lasers.
>>
>>54111083
>>>/pol/
>>
>>54108934
What are talking about, any kind of screen will either restrict airflow too much or just gonna get sucked in
>>
>>54111233
4chan is pol
>>
>>54108293
>Requires large amount of airflow for combustion
>place a screen
>>
>>54107696
>Should dronefags be hunted down and killed?

but it's the dronefags that hunt and kill
>>
>>54107696
>Should dronefags be hunted down and killed?

Dronefag here. Yes, if you violate airspace you should be imprisoned. It's so fucking reckless and insane to do. People like this retard ruin it for the responsible people out there.
>>
>>54111233
>britroach
>>>/trash/
>>
> put chicken wire on it

You fucking meme'd
>>
>>54107696
Fuck airplanes, they've held a monopoly on air for the entirety of their existence, drones are actually more useful than a big truck with wings that carries a a load of rude, uncultured tourists back and forth.
>>
Just make flying drones around aircraft illegal and leave it at that.
It's a clear hazard to aircraft.
>>
>>54113976
>Just make flying drones around aircraft illegal and leave it at that.

It already is, you moron, this is why it's such a big story.

In Australia, there's a big pamphlet included with every drone sold telling you about the restrictions on their use, including not flying over 250m in altitude, not flying with 5km of an airport, keeping the drone in visual range at all times and shit like that.

Retards are being retards and are either ignoring the laws currently in place, or are knowingly breaking the law and endangering lives.

I hope they find the fucker and throw his ass in jail.
>>
>>54107696
I...I kinda really want to see that drone's footage
>>
>>54107806
rc fedoras
>>
>>54107819
All this shit is already in place, just like any laser that comes with a warning, not to point it a fucking planes or people.

Since there are still tons of idiots, registration is the best way to deal with this scum.
>>
>>54113872
>more useful
How?
>>
File: flock.jpg (69 KB, 540x355) Image search: [Google]
flock.jpg
69 KB, 540x355
>>54107696
>flight enabled
>autonomous creatures
>>
Fucking idiots

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-26/man-apologises-for-flying-drone-over-hunter-fire/7201930
>>
File: 1451057262325.jpg (661 KB, 958x775) Image search: [Google]
1451057262325.jpg
661 KB, 958x775
So convenient. Now the precedent is set for the implementation of legislation making it illegal to use drones without a government permit or being put on a watch list.

Can't have the underground resistance passing messages or supplies between outposts after the power grids are taken down
>>
We need to bring back punishments such as limb amputations to terrify these chucklefucks.
>>
>>54115313
Everytime I talk about delivery drones on here you nigs laugh at it, now it's the future?
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.