[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that I can't read texts from other phones via
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
Why is it that I can't read texts from other phones via my phone provider?

My kids' phones for examples. The 18 year old and 17 year old are sketchy bastards sometimes, and while their grades are good it doesn't mean they can have this shadowy text message life where I don't know what they're saying to their friends. And I can't really look on AT&T's website to see anything where I can read their texts. I mean they're under my phone plan, aren't they?

I have called their recent contacts to push for information, some told me to "fuck off" (which I blocked from the entire plan entirely so that no one has to talk to that shithead again) but others have given me good information. Such as the 18 year old going to a party the other day, and also taking a puff off a cigar that his friend (who's birthday it was apparently) offered to him. He didn't smoke the whole thing, good on him, but he puffed it for some stupid reason. Kinda grinds me fucking gears don't it?

Now when it comes to monitoring and parental control, what does /g/ recommend? Installgentoo wiki is clearly not meant for anyone who's had kids before, because I'm sure most of you didn't fuck up your life like I did, so I feel like I'm a special case here. The only grace I can cling to is that I'm still in my 30s.

inb4 someone skims through my post, doesn't read the question, and accuses me of blogging.
>>
File: 1460234875863.png (262 KB, 498x375) Image search: [Google]
1460234875863.png
262 KB, 498x375
>>54103451
Goddamn I'm very glad you aren't my parent.
>>
>>54103451
Nice try, but that never happened. Gtfo
>>>/b/
>>
Nice try FBI. Get a search warrant like you're supposed to.
>>
Nice blog m8.
>>
>>54103451
get a life, man
this shit is not healthy, your kids might have serious problems because of it and they'll probably allahu akbar you house
>>
>>54103451
Whats it to you if your 18 year old took a puff of a cigar which he is LEGALLY allowed to do? As long as they aren't doing hard drugs give them room to breathe. They're almost adults, they are probably capable of making decisions for themselves to an extent.
>>
Keylogger for android - ios
>>
Dude you're failing as a parent. Teens need their own personal space and you can't monitor them 24/7. You're like the government trying to stop terrorism and drug trade by spying on all citizens when things like burner phones and number stations exist.

You're a parent, not a God. Talk to your kids that you don't want them doing dumb shit and explain to them why doing dumb shit can ruin their future or possibly kill them. Beside that there's not much more you can do or should do. Be a role model and a good guide to them not chains.

I don't have kids but my parents never acted like godly cunts like you're doing right now. I could trust them and even though I did smoke grass once I came clean to them and stopped because because I loved them.

You're asking for your kids to develop long term grudges and disown you when they grow up.
>>
One of them is a legal adult, but here you are begging on /g/ for tricks on how to monitor them like the gestapo. Give up, you're pathetic and you've lost. They are going to do what they want whether you're a creepy asshole or otherwise, you're effectively done raising them.
>>
>>54103518

Some people who come here actually have families. You really need to break out of this line of thinking that this is a secret club or that anything here is that unique.

>>54103582
>your kids might have serious problems because of it and they'll probably allahu akbar you house

I lol'd. But seriously like I said they're good kids with good grades, I just can't have them going around doing drugs or having sex with random whores at this point. At least until they're 20 when they're used to being an adult and got all this craziness out of their system like I did at their age.

>>54103597

I have never condoned tobacco smoking in our house. Not even on my patio. You want to smoke, you stay away from my property. That's what I usually tell my guests. Those who take offense to it leave my life and those who respect my boundaries will take the death stick to their car and come back inside when they're done. They can participate in their habit, but not my kids.

>>54103617
Okay, please note that reading this is the equivalent of me reading:

>Notepad software for linux - mac

Could you be more specific? Sorry. They do use Android.
>>
>>54103451
>it doesn't mean they can have this shadowy text message life where I don't know what they're saying to their friends

I understand your concern when I was 17 I was up to shit Id never in a billion years want my parents to find out about.

I'd suggest you won't want to find out either. Let them live their life, so they don't end up on 4chan asking how to spy on their kids.
>>
>Okay, please note that reading this is the equivalent of me reading:
>>Notepad software for linux - mac
>Could you be more specific? Sorry. They do use Android.

You literally had only to google that. First or second result. There are many notepad software, not keyloggers though.
>>
Your problem is not a technical one. Your goal should be for your kids to make smart decisions for themselves, not to be under your boot. What you are attempting will literally have the opposite of the effect you desire.
>>
https://youtube.com/watch?v=QNIMG6EFB8I
>>
>>54103699

Should I rely on the high rated ones? I was asking for a specific recommendation to be on the safe side and to average out the commonly recommended ones and decide for myself.
>>
>>54103451
How to tell if you're a bad parent.
>>
>>54103451
>>54103653
if any mods have this retards IP can you please give it up so we can warn OPs kids that their parents are spying on them?

This has got to be the stupidest posts ive ever read on here and granted ive only been here for only 1/2 as long as the rest of 4chan this takes the cake.

WOW

I'd normally say you should kill yourself or leave you poor 'kids' alone but seeing as they are already damaged enough i dont know what too say but your a fucking nutter mate.

>Oooh but i got it all out of my system when i was in my 20's
So?

What the fuck does age have to do with drug addiction and fuckwhit behavior your a monumental dumbshit.

All my friends that turned out completely insane had helicopter parents like you.
>>
>>54103653

And YOU have to realize that you are one grown adult wanting to spy on another legal adult for puffing a cigar at a birthday party. There's no two ways about it. You either realize it now or realize it when your kids manage to move it (which is quite a feat considering you're doing everything in your power to hold them back).

This is not healthy parenting under any standards.
>>
>>54103760
I can't recommend you one, because I haven't used one extensively. Sorry, anon.
>>
>>54103760
If you install some random keylogger on your kids' phone, chances are you're not the only one who gets to see the logs.
>>
File: 1460885476696.png (177 KB, 697x768) Image search: [Google]
1460885476696.png
177 KB, 697x768
>>54103451
>>
File: 1298527151028.jpg (25 KB, 627x627) Image search: [Google]
1298527151028.jpg
25 KB, 627x627
>people are going to respond to this thread believing the story
>>
>>54103828

Reminds me of Yahoo Answers. "Google it, I have no real solutions, but I feel like I helped although I gave you none" is exemplary of every response there. Not trying to be a dick, you probably just don't realize how little you actually contributed here.

>>54103803
>>54103797

My roof, my rules. That's the game plan. That's the strategy. T-that's the name of the game, Morty. What the hell do you want me to do? I'm not holding anybody back, if they want to move out they're free to do so. If they want another phone plan they can get one. But since it's my house and my phone plan, the least I can do is make sure my money is being spent wisely.

>But it's different they have no choice to live here

Well that's just a bitch, isn't it? Why do you keep wanting me to look at those two bastards as if they're these grown strangers completely unrelated to me?
>>
What I recommend is to stop being a bitch and let them do what they want. If they want to be idiots and fall on their face, let them. Just be there to pick them back up when they can't.
>>
>having kids
>current year
You brought this upon yourself and your only choice now is to just sit back and watch it unfold.
>>
wow I hope this is fake. your kids are adults, if you really think you should have this much control over "your" phone plan then you should take them off of it

you definitely shouldn't have any control over your kids phone plan usage. what do you pin microphones to their clothes so you can monitor their in-person conversations too?

If i was your kid, I would probably hate you for a long time because you called their friends to ask what it was they were talking to your kids about, surely they heard from their friends about how their dad is sleuthing around trying to pry into their private life. If I was their age I would probably sneak off and do hard drugs BECAUSE of you.
>>
>>54103868
>If you install some random keylogger on your kids' phone, chances are you're not the only one who gets to see the logs.

That's how it is, huh? Well maybe I can just give them the ultimatum of.. cell phone plan + unlocking their phones and letting me look at it once in a while, or paying for it themselves. But then it'd take away the option of knowing whats going on, because I'd have no control of their cell phone plan. And that's what I need.

>>54103907
It's not as easy as you think. If you were a parent you'd understand. You just can't ignore your kids and let them fuck up their lives partying and smoking or fucking up their late teens/early 20s like other people have. They have the chance to learn from mistakes and gain experience in this world after all. Why the hell should they waste it?
>>
File: 1459591666327.jpg (81 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1459591666327.jpg
81 KB, 800x600
>>54103868
As if OP cares.

Clearly completely insane
>>54103896
>I am not holding anybody back
>I am just spying on them illegally and opening them up to a world of hurt when their personal infomation gets leaked to whoever made the keyloggers i am going to use.
Dont be suprised if they get doxxed or worse.

Even if we completely ignore that what the fuck gives you the right to do what your doing?

>My house my rules
Actually no legally once they are of adulthood what your doing is illegal and they have a legal right to a percentage of your property even if your still alive (unfortunately) so suck it the fuck up and take responsbility for failing a a parent and a human being in general
>Durrr ill just kick them out.
Lol they are starting to get into drugs LATE and your solution is to push them into it 1000x quicker by threatening this shit? God only knows what your like from a outsiders perspective.

Fuck i wish i took Psychology now i'd be having a field day with you.
>>
This is a shitpost/troll thread. OP does not have children.
>>
>>54103937
Don't forget, I also blocked this supposed friend's number so that my kid doesn't end up talking to him again through that means. I'd really like to emphasize that this kid told me to fuck off when I called just to ask what my kid's been up to lately. So, to hell with him. So when it comes to controlling their phone plan, ha, there you go.

>>54103962
>buy kid's phone
>They use it under my phone plan
>can't do what I wish with it

Explain the criminality.

>Lol they are starting to get into drugs LATE and your solution is to push them into it 1000x quicker by threatening this shit? God only knows what your like from a outsiders perspective.

I don't do drugs.
>>
>>54103941
>It's not as easy as you think. If you were a parent you'd understand. You just can't ignore your kids and let them fuck up their lives partying and smoking or fucking up their late teens/early 20s like other people have. They have the chance to learn from mistakes and gain experience in this world after all. Why the hell should they waste it?
The problem is you literally can't monitor them 24/7 and teens need privacy. You are begging for them to hold a grudge against you for god knows how long. When you're old and can barely take care of yourself they'll put you in a fucking nursing home (if you're lucky) or never talk to you or help you ever again. You are fucking turning them into monsters you imbecile. They're humans not pets.
>>
>>54103941
>They have the chance to learn from mistakes and gain experience in this world after all.
In order to learn from mistakes, they have to be able to make mistakes. Educate them why things are stupid, and if they decide to do something stupid anyways, just tell them "I told you so" and let them learn. I used to not give two shits about school when I was younger, but when I started failing classes I got my act back together.
Seriously OP, you're a parent, not the fucking NSA. Have fun when you're old and sick and nobody wants to take you and your god complex in with them.
>>
Literally everyone ITT is telling you the same thing. Don't be so stubborn. Please reconsider what you are trying to do.
>>
>>54103753
OMG XD
>>
OP is obviously fucking insane

inb4 he installs a keylogger and his kids immediately get their credit info stolen, damaging their credit for decades forcing them to live at home for another 20 years while their dad plants cameras in the bedrooms and bathrooms and taps all the phone lines.

I mean wtf did you really block contact from their friends who valued their privacy enough not to tell you shit about anything.

I grew up with parents like you and everything I ever told them about where I was going, what I was doing, and who I was doing it with was part of an intricate lie to bamboozle them.

Also lol you cant even think to google "android keylogger" how do you expect to outsmart a teenager? If a keylogger showed up overnight on my phone I'd have it figured out and removed before the end of the day
>>
>>54103941
>It's not as easy as you think. If you were a parent you'd understand. You just can't ignore your kids and let them fuck up their lives partying and smoking or fucking up their late teens/early 20s like other people have. They have the chance to learn from mistakes and gain experience in this world after all. Why the hell should they waste it?
Actually once they are adults they can do whatever they want and you had 18 fucking years to imprint good values upon them
>>54103996
>Explain the criminality.
>Using a illegal keylogger
>breach of privacy
I am not a expert on us law but your breaking human rights laws as well.

Legality aside your a fucking cunt and you think this last ditch effort of shitty helicopter parenting is going to fix 18+ years of clearly lackluster performance on your part.
>>54103996
>Don't forget, I also blocked this supposed friend's number so that my kid doesn't end up talking to him again through that means. I'd really like to emphasize that this kid told me to fuck off when I called just to ask what my kid's been up to lately. So, to hell with him. So when it comes to controlling their phone plan, ha, there you go.
Back in the day about 10 years ago i had a friend whos father did this to me, i literally told him to fuck off on msn chat and he didnt like it and i didnt see my friend for years.

Fastforward 10 years and my friend is a dumbshit druggie living in melbourne and never stood up to his parents.

Both his sisters also turned into massive sluts and only one ended up in a actual career.

Oh and heres the kicker my friends dad actually respected me when i saw him a couple of years ago and has been nice to me ever since.

I know none of this will get through but its just a nice story from reality as opposed to wherever the fuck your getting your warped shit from.
>>
Guys is this bait?
>>
>>54104107
Yes
>>
>>54104077
>I grew up with parents like you and everything I ever told them about where I was going, what I was doing, and who I was doing it with was part of an intricate lie to bamboozle them.
Opposite problem here my dad was too strict and my mum was too leanient but they had a middle ground a big one been dad liked weed and mum didnt but anyway i ended up a basement dweller either way.

Not that thats bad since i like been redpilled and watching the general populus making asses of themselves from a distance.

OP just proves my point and everything we're all saying.
>>
>>54103996
I would sincerely hope that all of my good friends would have told you to "fuck off" too

and then they'd immediately contact me and tell me what happened. obviously over the internet, how old do you have to be to think phone contact is the only way?
>>
File: 1454420696206.png (230 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1454420696206.png
230 KB, 640x360
>>54104146
>how old do you have to be to think phone contact is the only way?
i'd say OP is around 40-50 years old but the rick and morty qoute is troubling as its mainly a Gen X-Y show so i am going to say 55-65 because of tech illiteracy.

Which leaves us at a average of 50-60
>>
>>54103451
>18 year old
They are an adult. Stop fucking with em.
>>54103653
>I just can't have them going around doing drugs or having sex with random whores at this point.

Why not? As long as they stay healthy and safe why should it matter?
>>
File: 1459411284991.jpg (100 KB, 389x435) Image search: [Google]
1459411284991.jpg
100 KB, 389x435
Wow OP given up already?

Fucking record time!

And this is why kids lie to their parents and get fucked up in the head.
>>
>>54103653
>You want to smoke, you stay away from my property. That's what I usually tell my guests.

The kid did not smoke in your house, so no problem there.

Also, you may try to protect them from stupid shit, but the only way they WILL learn how to handle themselves is if you let them do stupid shit. Your kids are nearly adults - their best teacher from now on is experience, not you. Some thing can only be learned the hard way.

As hard as it may be for you to accept, your kids are now grown up. They are building their own life now, and soon they will leave the nest and start their own family. You cannot control or guide them anymore, but you can still support them when they are in trouble. Best concentrate on that, rather than spying on them.

And if you cannot trust your 18 year old children to be respectable, good people, then you've raised them wrong to begin with. No amount of spying on them will correct that. Worse, it might even alienate them from you.
>>
>>54104268
Wow ive never seen /g/ or 4chan be so consistent with replies to an OP before.

Collectively blown the fuck out eh OP!

Literally all of what you just said and what i have said will completely blow into ops ear and out his asshole but maybe just maybe on this japanese styled western image board we've stopped a parent from doing the classic mistake of caring... too much

/g/ - Parenting advice from n33ts to you.
>>
>>54103941
>You just can't ignore your kids and let them fuck up their lives partying and smoking or fucking up their late teens/early 20s like other people have.

I was a good kid like that who did not fuck up his life going to parties and smoking and doing random shit. Both of my parents always asked me to stay safe, so I barely went outside so none of the bad things my parents warned me about would happen to me.

Now I have no friends and no life experience, and I am barely capable of leading my own life as I simply do not know what to do in most circumstances. I've been such a shut-in that I often have panic attacks just from leaving the house - I have to force myself to take at least 1 random stroll through town, just so I can keep my anxiety disorder in check.

You should let your kids go to parties, have friends, and discover what is good and what is not good for themselves. Then support them to the best of your ability so they can get back on their feet. Whatever does not kill them will only make them stronger; and this is the last opportunity in their lives to get stronger, since they are almost adults.
>>
>>54103451
Parents like you are the reason people like me move away without a trace (sometimes even to other countries) even dropping all our friends just to be free from constant spying and harassment.
>>
>>54104393
Are you me?

My folks where actually pretty free in comparison to OP and yours and i turned out the exact same way.

Couldnt get work either.

Life, it makes no fucking sense.
>>
>>54103996
>Don't forget, I also blocked this supposed friend's number so that my kid doesn't end up talking to him again through that means. I'd really like to emphasize that this kid told me to fuck off when I called just to ask what my kid's been up to lately. So, to hell with him. So when it comes to controlling their phone plan, ha, there you go.

I'll tell you what you will achieve with this. Your kid will hate you for trying to ruin his friendships with others, and will actively try to get under your wing at every opportunity. They'll take every chance to move out from your place, either to college, or by getting a job early so they can support themselves and live freely without your interventions (for ex. they'll throw out the phone you got them and will buy their own phone plan). They will grow a grudge against you that will last until much later in their lives, and by forcing them to leave your house early, they may take choices out of necessity, which may not be the best in the long term (giving up education in favour of a job, moving in with someone else just so they aren't with you, etc).
>>
File: fuck my life.jpg (28 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
fuck my life.jpg
28 KB, 720x720
>>54104439
>>54104342
The reason all of 4chan takes a united stand here is because most of us are social recluses whose only social contacts were online, and this is all too often caused by bad parenting.

I know for a fact that a lot of my inabilities are caused by my parents making wrong choices: sending me to school before waiting a year like every other kid (making me the youngest and most often picked-on kid in class), my mother always doing everything for me instead of teaching me how to do stuff myself, and my father for being a hypocritical, selfish, manipulative asshole (as you can imagine my parents split when I was 6, and only by now do I realize how much of a scum my dad is).

If they raised me differently, I may have become more capable of supporting myself, and MAYBE had better luck at finding connections with other people. As it is I have anxiety disorder, sleeping problems, I'm a borderline sociopath (I think of people as resources, as I don't know how to think of them as people). Since my mind is more analytical than socially capable, I can at least find work as a programmer. But as a consequence of all the above I also have depression and think of suicide at least once a week. Only reason I don't act on that is because I'm very indecisive and lazy.

... that got heavy, didn't it.
>>
>>54103653
Its this mentality that they are going behind your back and that you HAVE to stop it that will generate severe resentment as they grow older if it hasn't already.

Ease off the grip there daddio if you still want your kids to want to talk to you in 5 years.
>>
>>54104799
Always blaming someone else, kid?
>>
>>54104799
>As it is I have anxiety disorder, sleeping problems, I'm a borderline sociopath
Add "doesn't take responsibility for own problems" to that list
>>
If you feel you need to spy on your kids, you're a bad parent. One of them is an adult, the other is almost an adult. At this stage in life you have to give them independence so they can get used to the "being an adult" thing.

>Now when it comes to monitoring and parental control, what does /g/ recommend?
I recommend you sit back, smoke a joint, and let your kids make mistakes.
>>
>>54105039
I had those problems since as far as I can remember, and became aware of them much too late to be able to efficiently do anything against them.
>>
>>54105611
>became aware of them much too late to be able to efficiently do anything against them
So you're dead?
>>
>>54105617
I don't have a life so I won't ever die, no matter how much I want both.
>>
>>54103451
Oh this thread and the people in it.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.