[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
99% of Linux distributions should be killed.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 11
There are three of Linux:

1.) RHEL

2.) Ubuntu

3.) autistic wastes of disk space, oxygen, and developer resources

If you are not using Ubuntu or Fedora on your desktop, you are a cancer on the Linux community. If you are a developer and you contribute to some autistic shit heap like Arch, you should be caned, beaten, and water boarded for wasting precious time. Why do you think companies like Oracle and Microsoft choose to work with RHEL and Ubuntu? It's not because they're "cool" or "edgy," it's because they work the best.

Stop fucking around and install Ubuntu or Fedora. Together we are strong, but divided we are weak.
>>
>>54095454
wow if only you knew what you were talking about
>>
>>54095454
What about Debian?
>>
>>54095454
Linux is a kernel. Distros are essentially package managers with a DE.
>>
>>54095454
I won't use a distro that teams up with microsoft.
I won't use a distro that uses me as it's testing ground.
>>
>>54095465
/thread
>>
>>54095465
fragmentation is what keeps GNU/Linux as it is.
>>
>>54095454
I actually agree, although I do use Kali sometimes.
>>
>>54095465
I know what I'm talking about. Manpower is finite.

>>54095480

Debian exists to serve Ubuntu.

>>54095482

SHUT UP YOU PEDANTIC FAGGOT!!!

Linux means desktop and server operating systems.

>>54095484

Faggot spotted.

pacman -S girlfriend
error not found
>>
>>54095454
How do you feel about Manjaro, Autist-kun? It's to Arch what Ubuntu is to Debian.
>>
>>54095454
I use mint
>>
>>54095640
That's actually false, Antergos is a direct derivitive of Arch, Manjaro is not
>>
>>54095640
It's still a waste.

>>54095667
Acceptable since it's binary compatible with Ubuntu and based on Ubuntu.
>>
>>54095750
>Manjaro isn't based on Arch
You'd better tell the Manjaro devs that, because they don't seem to realize that they made their own distro from scratch.
>>
I think the fragmentation of desktop environments is a bigger problem.
>>
>>54095549
Jokes on you, I don't use arch.
>>
>>54095794
IMO not DEs per SE, but the toolkits they use. It would have been awesome if you could run a DE ofnyour choosing but sill have your applications run properly with actual minimize buttons
>>
File: 1459044016836.jpg (335 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1459044016836.jpg
335 KB, 1920x1200
Totally agree with you OP but don't forget OpenSUSE/Suse Linux Enterprise, their competition with redhat is the only thing keeping them innovative.
>>
>>54095856
Good point, but I'm going to have to ignore you because you posted anime.
>>
>>54095873
TOP KEK
O
P

K
E
K
>>
>>54095848
>have your applications run properly with actual minimize buttons
Thank Gnome and their retarded headerbars for that shit.
>>
>>54095454
ubuntu is ugly shit with a nigger name
>>
>>54095793
Manjaro receives updates weeks after Arch and Antergos, literally everything is delayed, even security updates.
>>
>>54095454
>Oracle
>Microsoft
>working the best
>>
>>54095920
That's not true and it hasn't been for a couple years. Security updates go through immediately, everything else is delayed for roughly one week for "testing".
>>
>>54095454
Why do you list RHEL but then go on and say Fedora instead?

You're not even consistent within your own waste of a post.
>>
>>54096020
RHEL is based on Fedora
Fedora is the testbed for new features to be implemented in RHEL once they're stable.
>>
>>54096079
So by that then Debian is just fine to use.
>>
>>54096098
There's nothing wrong with Debian. Not OP btw.
>>
>buy a laptop
>comes with windows 7
>download ubuntu
>it looks like shit
>upgrade with my disc to windows 8
>going to install Arch tomorrow

Ubuntu is for poor people, not ricer l33t neets
>>
> Why do you think companies like Oracle and Microsoft choose to work with RHEL and Ubuntu?

Because RHEL and ubuntu are backed by other companies, and companies often worth together to increase their profits.

You could make complete and utter garbage of the sort that would make windows NT and its associated userland, no, fucking OS X, look like god tier software straight out of a lab of expert veteran programmers and UI designers, and if you were a company, microsoft would partner with you. And that's actually what redhat and canonical do.

Mainstream linux is ABSOLUTE FUCKING GARBAGE

Its only legitimate use is to be customized. Supercomputers run customized linux, the NYSE runs customized linux. Idiots that are too poor for good support from microsoft use redhat and ubuntu.
>>
>>54096126
You do realize, I hope, that you can change the window manager and such just as easily on any linux distro?
>>
>>54096134
>Idiots that are too poor for good support from microsoft use redhat and ubuntu.
You haven't checked Red Hat pricing, have you....

Red Hat is more expensive than Windows. Mission critical servers do not run Ubuntu.
>>
Personally, I find Slackware works the best for me. It doesn't do shit unless I tell it to. I like that.
>>
Debian master race
>>
>>54096134
Windows doesn't even run on POWER and has RAM limitations so why would people use it over RedHat on servers?

>>54096192
Can you get Chrome running?

Can you get Steam running?

Do you have the latest IDEs?
>>
>>54096126
Try Manjaro KDE before you dive headfirst into Arch.
>>
>>54095549
>Debian exists to serve Ubuntu.

Debian is a superior Ubutnu.

The only packages that get Canonical's support guarantees are the packages inside the main repository, which turns out to be a tiny fraction of them.

Literally no reason to run Ubuntu when Debian exists unless you're running *winces* desktop linux.
>>
>>54096218
>Can you get Chrome running?
Yes, I use Chromium.

>Can you get Steam running?
Yes, I use both the Linux and the Windows version under Wine.

>Do you have the latest IDEs?
Uhh, I assume so, I don't know what the latest IDE is.
>>
>>54096218
I forgot about that market

Well, you see, there's this quality, stable OS family with a strict NO REGRESSIONS, NO BULLSHIT policy that would make linux users cry called "UNIX"
>>
>>54096239
or if you prefer unity, which is like maybe 5 people.
>>
>>54096258
K-UX is a Linux based UNIX.

>>54096245
Well then I guess it's not a crippleshow, but it would be better if the developers were working on a mainstream distro.

>>54096239

Ubuntu is more common on servers and in the cloud than Debian. Take your smugness elsewhere.
>>
File: 1458746892541.gif (2 MB, 400x197) Image search: [Google]
1458746892541.gif
2 MB, 400x197
>>54096159
>arguing with autistic distros users

Don't even bother, they will always come back and shit on you.
>>
>>54095454
>Linux is only fair if you contribute to it
It seems somebody doesn't understand how free software works.
>>
>>54095454
>Stop fucking around and install Ubuntu or Fedora. Together we are strong, but divided we are weak.
Then why don't you just stop crying and install Gentoo like the enlightened among us?

Gentoo is easily the most powerful distro.
>RHEL, Ubuntu
Don't even mention shit to me where I can't even disable dbus or pulseaudio

>>54095549
>Manpower is finite.
Yes, and so is interest. I fucking hate red hat and I would prefer that they fuck off and leave the Linux community alone, honestly.

They are pushing the kind of shit that is exactly what's killing the Linux desktop. They want to turn it into a carbon copy of everything that's wrong with proprietary software.

But this is the part you people don't seem to understand - I don't want to use a carbon copy of proprietary softwareo except free. I want to use software that's actually GOOD.

This is what drives me away from mainstream, buggy Java shit written by indian code monkeys at big companies and towards niche hobbyist products written by people who actually know their shit.
>>
>>54095549
I'd just like to interject for a moment, what you're referring to as Linux is in fact GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU+Linux.
>>
>>54095454
OP didn't manage to install Arch Linux and is mad now pfhahahahhaaha.
>>
>>54096282
>but it would be better if the developers were working on a mainstream distro.
No it wouldn't, because then they'd have to go over to systemd.

Also, it doesn't really matter that much. I'd prefer developers unite over other stuff, application suites like merging OpenOffice and LibreOffice for instance.
>>
>>54096448
Systemd is coming to Slackware.
>>
File: 1456583651499s.jpg (5 KB, 249x181) Image search: [Google]
1456583651499s.jpg
5 KB, 249x181
>Linux
>>
>>54096482
There are no plans for Slackware to use systemd.
>>
>>54096565
The devs have nothing against it, so it's going to get added eventually.
>>
>>54095454
nigga,
There's SUSE.
The SUSE team built the first implementation of live kernel patching.
>>
>>54096487
xD
>>
>>54096582
Pulse was added to current recently, and there was a reassuring note somewhere from Patrick that said something along the lines of that he doesn't intend on changing to systemd for the foreseeable future.
>>
If we agreed that there should only be fedora and debian, I'd agree with you. I use debian on every machine I admin, but I don't mind having RHEL around.
>>
>>54096582

"Concerning systemd, I do like the idea of a faster boot time (obviously), but I also like controlling the startup of the system with shell scripts that are readable, and I'm guessing that's what most Slackware users prefer too. I don't spend all day rebooting my machine, and having looked at systemd config files it seems to me a very foreign way of controlling a system to me, and attempting to control services, sockets, devices, mounts, etc., all within one daemon flies in the face of the UNIX concept of doing one thing and doing it well. To the typical end user, if this results in a faster boot then mission accomplished. With udev being phased out in favor of systemd performing those tasks we'll have to make the decision at some point between whether we want to try to maintain udev ourselves, have systemd replace just udev's functions, or if we want the whole kit and caboodle."

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/interviews-28/interview-with-patrick-volkerding-of-slackware-949029/
>>
>>54095454
tl;dr op is a dumb fuck
>>
>>54097636
>>
Arch faggots BTFO once again
>>
>>54097544
You don't actually need shell scripts for init as long as whatever executable you use behaves like an init script should. You can use C to write init "scripts".

You can also call binaries and scripts from systemd units, with different arguments, even

Hardly an argument against systemd
>>
>>54097636
/thread
>>
>what is openSUSE
>>
File: 1459288298112.jpg (30 KB, 320x417) Image search: [Google]
1459288298112.jpg
30 KB, 320x417
>>54095454
>anything that doesn't live up to my personal standards should be shit canned
>>
>>54095454
ubuntu is a confirmed botnet retard, using it is like pissing on stallman and everything you love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP8CNp-vksc
>>
>>54095454
OP is a faggot.
>>
>>54098429
>listening to a communist jew
>ever

Some people don't learn...
>>
> Ubuntu
Unstable shit.
> RHEL
Paid ancient shit.

Consider sudoku.
>>
>> Ubuntu
Cancer
>>
>no executor for windows (or any good launcher except dmenu ofc)
>no everything for windows
>no listary for windows
Do you even know how magical it is to, when a file or directory dialog opens, just click into another window and have the dialog and the window synchronize?

There are so many programs on windows that simply have no alternatives on (GNU/)linux and are `can't be lived without` programs.

Also, the most used gui libraries are uaf (ugly af) on (GNU/)linux. Though, QT looks faf (fine af) nowadays
>>
>>54095454
Google uses Gentoo as the base for ChromeOS.
>>
>>54095454
>2.) Ubuntu

I think you mean Debian, Canonical is shit.
>>
>>54100891
I don't believe you.
>>
>>54095454
It would be nice if Linux could be limited to just 5-10 main distros. Too many useless distros created every week that just causes more fragmentation.

But if I was a company developing commercial software for (desktop) Linux I would only provide official support for Ubuntu derivatives/Debian/Fedora. Any other distro users are on their own.
>>
>>54100937
Yup. That's why chrome is runs as light as a feather on 2gb of ram.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Chrome-OS-built-upon-Gentoo-and-not-the-more-popular-Debian
>>
I use Fedora on my desktop, but when I get a laptop capable of running only free software I'm going to switch to Trisquel or Parabola.
>>
>>54097544
How does systemd have a faster boot time when it is more complex?
>>
>>54095454
>Ubuntu
>using shitware that's bundled with spyware
Good job, fucking faggot. At least go with something that doesn't have retarded devs.
>>
>>54101044

PROOF?????

IT'S 2016 FAGGOT
>>
>>54101168
>Windows sends search information to Microsoft
>Lintards rage
>Ubuntu sends search information to Amazon for the sole purpose of selling your information
>Ubuntards rave
lel
>>
File: cunha.png (174 KB, 336x268) Image search: [Google]
cunha.png
174 KB, 336x268
>>54095454

Buid your distro:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/
>>
>>54095454
>2.) Ubuntu
Fuck you, bitch! Ubuntu is a faggot fork of based Debian. Go back to Africa, scum!
>>
>>54095454
Oh, and also Fedora stinks to arse. Fucking broken bullshit.
>>
>>54101186
>>Ubuntu sends search information to Amazon for the sole purpose of selling your information
>>Ubuntards rave
>lel

because that didn't backfire completely and cause ubuntu to remove it a fucking year ago
>>
>>54100903
I *would* agree if it weren't for the fact that Canonical is the only provider of a Debian variant that has enterprise hardware connections and gives a shit how well those products work while at the same time offering long term support and updates.
>>
>>54103786
Now they'll be more careful about where they put the fine print.
>>
>>54096221
He might as well stay on it. Arch is so fucked that there's no reason to use it over Manjaro
>>
>>54095454
and this thread, op and linux is why open source will always be unfocused shit.

Its like building a kit car replica, yes it looks and can even sound like the real thing, but it isnt the real thing its a off brand copy that will never work right.
>>
What if I prefer OpenSuSE?
>>
Ubuntu is easy too access by the neophyte, I think it's a good think.
If you don't Ubuntu, it's your think but saying that Ubuntu's users are like cancer it's too much.
>>
>>54095484
Hence you won't use any Linux distro
>>
File: orangudowns.jpg (19 KB, 400x274) Image search: [Google]
orangudowns.jpg
19 KB, 400x274
>>54100652
>Do you even know how magical it is to, when a file or directory dialog opens, just click into another window and have the dialog and the window synchronize?

No because that's about as articulate as pic related.
>>
>>54101803
Did it once.

Won't do it again.

It's a bit like trying pegging just so you can say you've done it but a bit more painful.
>>
>>54095454 Are you too retarded to use anything but Ubuntu? If an OS works fine for me and I don't need dumbfuck askubuntu tutorials to change a timezone then what's the problem?
>>
>>54096079
You meant to say Fedora is based on RHET
>>
>>54098898
I bet he searched askubuntu to find out how to create a thread here
>>
>>54095549
It's in the AUR.
yaourt -S girlfriend
>>
>He doesn't understand the point of Linux is to have an OS without corporate spyware and NSA backdoors

Literally kill urself
>>
>>54104943
Damn that monkey has no nose
>>
File: 1437595875319.gif (2 MB, 230x250) Image search: [Google]
1437595875319.gif
2 MB, 230x250
>>54095549
Damn, kid... grow up. You wouldn't know pussy if it sat on your face.
>>
>>54095454
Replace Ubuntu with Debian and I agree with you
>>
>>54105945
This.
>>
>>54101022
How is GNU grep faster than BSD grep when it has more lines of code?

Less lines = Faster!

>>54100946
Who cares? The extra distros don't do shit. They just sit there. It only bothers you because you are autistic and hate all forms of clutter.

An extra distro, or even userland feature or kernel option, that is popular and significantly changes something in a way that disrupts compatibility contributes to fragmentation. Popularity = support outside the distro's own devs and users.

Fragmentation is deb vs rpm vs tgz vs ports, not debian vs crux. Nobody gives a fuck about an extraneous distro like crux except its own users. It doesn't affect anything.

Fragmentation is gtk2 vs gtk3 vs qt, but tcl doesn't factor in because it's almost never used. X with WMs vs wayland compositors is fragmentation but nobody gives a shit about mir.

>but anon, why does the user care about different toolkits if they just work?
User experience. Every program works and looks different. Whether or not you have client side decorations, or even remote desktop, and HOW you have remote desktops, depends on your display server or compositor. And everything except X with gtk2 is unstable as fuck, so no professsional apps outside of browsershit for you, ever.
>>
>>54095482
you're mom a kernel
>>
>>54105605
Wait... What!
https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=girlfriend
>>
>>54096339

>I hate the one of the top contributors to free software who employ hundreds of dedicated developers in critical upstream projects because of <vague FUD>

You're not very smart are you?
>>
>>54106300
don't bother him, we need more anti systemd fuckos who also hate shit like udev and dbus in all their incarnations. it reduces the net hypocrisy of the linux community.

though, if he posted from chrome or firefox....
>>
>>54106300
>hundreds of dedicated developers in critical upstream projects
You mean like polkit, pulseaudio, systemd, dbus, wayland, consolekit, libvirt, gnome, udev and all the cancerous garbage infecting the linux ecosystem?

>good thing I use none of that crap
>>
>>54106742

I also mean X, Mesa and throughout the entire graphics stack; Linux itself (one of the top single contributors); libinput; LibreOffice; Firefox; glibc and GNU coreutils; GCC; GRUB; gzip; Eclipse, the list literally goes on and on.

Oh, but I'm sure all these projects are bad because <FUD> too.
>>
>>54106896
>X
Outdated piece of shit

>Mesa
Don't use it

>Throughout the entire graphics stack
Vague

>Linux itself
Shitty monolithic bloat kernel

>libinput
Garbage

>LibreOffice
Bloated, unnecessary garbage

>Firefox
Overall massive piece of shit

>glibc, GNU coreutils
Bloated piece of shit

>GCC
Archaic, monolithic garbage

>gzip
People still use this?

>Eclipse
Probably the worst thing you mentioned

>the list literally goes on and on
the nightmare never ends either
>>
>>54107647
>glibc, GNU coreutils
Faster and more featureful than "minimal" alternatives.
>GCC
Produces faster binaries than clang. You only use anything else if you're a corporation and don't want to distribute GPLV3 software.
>Linux itself
The fastest, most featureful, most widely used kernel.

Masturbatory theory in software design rarely applies in practice.
>>
>>54107954
>muh 2% gains in performance for 300% gains in code complexity
I see you also write all your programs in x86 assembly
>>
>>54107647
>>glibc, GNU coreutils
>Bloated piece of shit
Too bad NOTHING compiles correctly without this. musl is a nightmare, every application requires changes because of shit like __BEGIN_DECLS. It's basically fucking vendor lock in bullshit, but with GANOO shit as the vendor. Fucking GPL shit is anticompetitive as fuck, and freetards don't even fucking know it since they aren't smart enough to try to get away from it.
>>
>>54095454
How about only the distros that are actively supported?
That should wipe out at least 99%.
>>
All of this cancer...
Newbuntu is garbage
Install Gentoo
>>
>>54108474
Don't blame the X, blame the people that use it.

glibc lock-in only exists because shitty application developers keep on using GNU extensions and relying on glibc-specific behavior or functions.

It's not GPL that's killing free software, it's the stupidity of programmers.

>in b4 he thinks only Linux ecosystem is affected by it
>>
File: muhnips.png (84 KB, 197x300) Image search: [Google]
muhnips.png
84 KB, 197x300
>>54095454
>three of Linux
>>
>>54108474
>freetards don't even fucking know
They aren't aware, because the GPL is doing its job and they don't get mad about its use.
Its the software equivalent of a guy on a fixed gear getting pissed off at someone for riding a mountain bike because the parts don't fit on his fixie. lel faggot
>>
What about Source Mage GNU/Linux?
>>
>>54095497
A low market share piece of shit, fragmented to hell by stupid egoistic retards.
Stick to Debian/ubuntu and fuck everything else, it may die eventually.
>>
>>54095454
*cough cough*
Debian
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.