[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OS X > Linux & iOS > Android
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 15
OS X gives you a smoother UNIX experience with professional software and it's preferred and used by more developers than Linux according to the StackOverflow 2016 survey. Macbooks destroy all other laptops in battery life and screen quality for the same price. Go ahead and try installing Linux on any laptop. You will be lucky to get 2 hours of battery life out of it. If you can't afford a Mac, you can just download OS X for free and make a Hackintosh. Hackintosh has more hardware compatibility than Linux desktops, with the added bonus of being able to use programs like Photoshop.

Every time a new iPhone is released, the latest Android phones get BTFO in speed. iOS is faster, has better apps, and is just plain more aesthetic than the buggy, fragmented clusterfuck that is Android. Android OEMs introduce features that Apple invents like 3D touch months or years later. If you're a developer, you'll love working with Swift, a modern development language, over Android's Java, an old language suited to backend server work. You will also love actually getting paid for your apps, unlike on Android where users just pirate everything.

Linuxfags BTFO!
>>
>>54094017
Nice thread
>>
>>54094017
>install Ubuntu on t420
>2:34 battery life on normal settings
>no powertop, no TLP

Guess I'm just lucky
>>
>>54094017
lol you BTFO /g/
they're scared
>>
I feel ya OP. Lincucks and Winbabby's will never know the comfiness of OSX on the desktop/laptop and FreeBSD on homeserver and router.
>>
File: 1460331268118.png (397 KB, 641x782) Image search: [Google]
1460331268118.png
397 KB, 641x782
>>54094017
>i use OSX
>>
>>54096732
>trigger warning on a news site.
Is this now a normal thing?
>>
>>54096732
This has no relevance to the thread. Delete it.
>>
>>54096758
That kind of warning isn't new. Have you honestly never heard that kind of warning on the news before they get into a particularly gruesome story?
>>
File: 1456622013074.jpg (202 KB, 1200x627) Image search: [Google]
1456622013074.jpg
202 KB, 1200x627
>>54096776
Spotted the OSX user.
>>
>>54094017
nice shilling brah
Why are so many anti-Linux shills these days?
>>
>>54096800
How dare you disrespect Steve Jobs. You owe him everything about your modern computing experience!
>>
>>54096806
top lel
>>
>>54096787
Nope. I'll chalk it up to being an American and getting my news from RSS rather than the actual sites.
>>
>>54094017
I use os x for work (software dev, backend) and while I do like the os and how it performs in an enterprise environment. At home I still prefer my ubuntu because of the customization it offers. And for reference: my laptop has the exact same components as my rmbp 15" but it cost 1000 dollars less.
Battery life is the same.

Don't shill like this, mac is decent, but so is any other OS out there.
>>
>>54094017
>BTFO
What is linguistic inflation and lopsided excpectations?
>>
>>54096806
I don't owe anything to someone to eats shit from his hands and encourages his employees and customers do the same.
>>
>>54096800
BTW, how did this "eat shit with his hands" meme start?
>>
>>54096844
>HURR FORCED MEMES ARE ARGUMENTS!

Shut the fuck up and leave my thread if you are just going to meme like this is fuccking reddit or 9gag.

>>54096865

Trolls forced it.
>>
>>54094017
Fuck it. I'll take the bait.

You have literally no concept of what it means to be a functional being in society. Suck on the barrel of a 12-guage until it cums a fucking shell into your brain, it'll be just like sucking Tim Cook's dick when you buy your iMac Pro Retina©. Die like the slave you are so we can move forward as a society because you are holding us all back just by existing you braindead fucktard.

Same goes for anyone who buys a product because "lel it's [brand name] so it's the best". You all make me fucking sick.
>>
File: 1460136925940.jpg (132 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1460136925940.jpg
132 KB, 960x960
>>54096803
Because you keep replying to bait instead of letting it die.
>>
>>54096881
Don't ever talk to me or my wife's son again.
>>
>>54096892
But anon, I like this meme.
>>
File: sip.jpg (67 KB, 379x351) Image search: [Google]
sip.jpg
67 KB, 379x351
>>54096901
It gets tiring.
>>
File: 1460173949621.jpg (168 KB, 1280x896) Image search: [Google]
1460173949621.jpg
168 KB, 1280x896
>>
File: 1406210417737.jpg (71 KB, 596x419) Image search: [Google]
1406210417737.jpg
71 KB, 596x419
>>54096865

It's pretty old
>>
>>54096844
It must only be iShit and every year, they'll come out with a new version and a new iShit charger
>>
>>54096912
My entire university...
Journalism plebs think macbooks are the best.
>>
File: Tim Cook with new MacBook Air.png (220 KB, 800x418) Image search: [Google]
Tim Cook with new MacBook Air.png
220 KB, 800x418
>>54096838
The fact that you rely on one for work and use the other to jack off to cartoons with indicates which one is more reliable and trustworthy.

I also really doubt that your Ubuntu laptop has the same build quality, or that it was even designed to run Ubuntu.

>>54096890

I don't buy them for the brand, I buy them because they just work.

Enjoy fucking with xorg.conf for the next 12 hours you turbonerd.

>>54096921

DELETE THIS!
>>
File: 1457581614599.jpg (38 KB, 373x386) Image search: [Google]
1457581614599.jpg
38 KB, 373x386
>>54096921
>tfw you visit averagemacuser.org for the first time
>>
>>54096948
nice filename you faggot
>>
>>54096948
>macshit
>build quality

Pick one.
>>
>>54096964
It's a perfectly good filename you fucking faggot.
>>
>>54096948
>macbooks
>good build quality
when will this meme die? Apple's build quality is at most average. Just because they use shiny aluminium, doesn't mean it has good quality
>>
File: 1460493686872.png (860 KB, 841x720) Image search: [Google]
1460493686872.png
860 KB, 841x720
>>54096979
>posts picture of a faggot
>calls someone else a faggot
>>
File: Apple_Logo_2015_04.png (36 KB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
Apple_Logo_2015_04.png
36 KB, 2272x1704
>>54096978
>world renowned build quality
>metal body

>plastic shit
>designed for windows
>install Linux on it and have no drivers

I know which one is better. Do you? Macs can run Linux in bootcamp better than any Windows laptop.

>>54096987

aluminum > plastic, dickhead

And the battery lasts all fucking day.
>>
Mac OS X and iOS are the two most insecure software products of 2015, both ranking up more vulnerabilities than Adobe Flash

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/01/what-was-the-software-with-the-most-vulnerabilities-in-2015-hint-its-not-windows/

Now to address a few of your points...

>Macbook
>Screen quality
Tell that to my dented and cracked Macbook Pro screen. Turns out aluminum and glass are both terrible building materials.

>Hackintosh has more hardware compatibility than Linux desktops
That is a serious claim, and that is going to require serious evidence.

>Every time a new iPhone is released, the latest Android phones get BTFO in speed. iOS is faster
I've seen speed comparisons that go either way.

>has better apps
Many of the applications I use on Android do not have an iOS equivalent outside of perhaps on jailbroken phones. Whether any particular application you like has a better version on iOS or Android, however, is rather irrelevant. You are not ALLOWED to run any application on iOS that Apple does not approve of. Why would you subject yourself to this?

>and is just plain more aesthetic than the buggy, fragmented clusterfuck that is Android
A matter of preference. I prefer the look of Cyanogenmod.

>Android OEMs introduce features that Apple invents like 3D touch months or years later
By and far the opposite is true. How long did it take for iOS to get copy/paste compared to Android?

>If you're a developer, you'll love working with Swift, a modern development language, over Android's Java, an old language suited to backend server work
I'd prefer C++ and Qt, or C# and Xamarin. Both of which work on both platforms.

>You will also love actually getting paid for your apps, unlike on Android where users just pirate everything.
You know what I'd like more than anything? To not be told what I can and can't put in my application. I'd like to distribute my application directly to my users without a middleman. I can do that on Android, but not on iOS.
>>
>>54097001
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel themselves has admitted it's utter shit now and has trashed the design to go back to copying 90's era laptops with solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>ultra shit tier zero travel chiclet keyboard
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 70WHr battery matches it in battery life
>gets BTFO by 40WHhr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats at the slightest task because abysmal cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz because of chronic overheating problems
>retina meme supposedly for "pros" have have <70% sRGB
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling

>build quality

Nice meme.
>>
>>54096996
>2016
>being a homophobe

What color is your MAGA hate you bigot?
>>
>>54097001
>aluminum > plastic
kill yourself. Plastic chinkpads have infinitely better quality. Plastic is much better for laptops. Also, the outside material doesn't mean the inside good too. Macshits have cuck quality. You are just a faggot who jerks off to muh minimalism aluminium.
>>
>>54097017
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>54097015
/thread
>>
File: 15023_lennyface[1].jpg (18 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
15023_lennyface[1].jpg
18 KB, 480x480
>>54097017
Oh I didn't mean you were gay. Just that you're a faggot
>>
>>54097008
Not many of the vulnerabilities are serious.

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list.php?vendor_id=49&product_id=&version_id=&page=1&hasexp=0&opdos=0&opec=0&opov=0&opcsrf=0&opgpriv=0&opsqli=0&opxss=0&opdirt=0&opmemc=0&ophttprs=0&opbyp=0&opfileinc=0&opginf=0&cvssscoremin=0&cvssscoremax=0&year=2015&month=0&cweid=0&order=1&trc=689&sha=feed7ce30800785b58cb7c6107765d32aeb834e8

>Tell that to my dented and cracked Macbook Pro screen. Turns out aluminum and glass are both terrible building materials.

Do you really think plastic laptops are more durable?

>That is a serious claim, and that is going to require serious evidence.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/

>I've seen speed comparisons that go either way.

I haven't because I'm not a faggot.

>Many of the applications I use on Android do not have an iOS equivalent outside of perhaps on jailbroken phones. Whether any particular application you like has a better version on iOS or Android, however, is rather irrelevant. You are not ALLOWED to run any application on iOS that Apple does not approve of. Why would you subject yourself to this?

So jailbreak your phone then. 90% of people don't care about that shit.

>A matter of preference. I prefer the look of Cyanogenmod.

Ricer faggot scum.

>By and far the opposite is true. How long did it take for iOS to get copy/paste compared to Android?

Copy and paste is not innovative.

>I'd prefer C++ and Qt, or C# and Xamarin. Both of which work on both platforms.

C++ works anywhere, and the rest will give you a performance hit.

>You know what I'd like more than anything? To not be told what I can and can't put in my application. I'd like to distribute my application directly to my users without a middleman. I can do that on Android, but not on iOS.

Are you talking about side loading? Not exclusive to Lagdroid.
>>
>>54097164
>Do you really think plastic laptops are more durable?
Yes
>http://www.tonymacx86.com/
How is this a proof, faggot?
>Ricer faggot scum.
nice argument
>Copy and paste is not innovative.
confirmed troll
>>
>>54097015
If Macbooks are so bad, why do they always make it into the top 10?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369981,00.asp
>>
well, macbook pro's are extremely lightweight and quite powerful. Worth the price, although I'd probably rather have a dell xps laptop.

I don't enjoy OSX at all, but any linux distro on mac works beautifully.
>>
File: applel product review process.png (117 KB, 849x937) Image search: [Google]
applel product review process.png
117 KB, 849x937
>>54097203
>if reviewers are threatened with losing their early review ad revenue, why do they always publish glowing applel reviews so that applel doesnt blacklist them and deny them early review units/pagehits
>>
>>54097388
That just prevents bashing. It doesn't mean they can't give honest reviews.
>>
>>54096912
Why wouldn't they educate their wincucks and linux neckbeards brothers who use inferior shit? What kind of a shitty human are you?

>>54097388
Nobody cares about small ass blogs and all bigger tech sites did the "blacklist" things without getting blacklisted.

Besides, the site you linked rates the /g/ hated Retina Macbook 4/5 and only bitches about price and camera, so nothing that concerns normal people.
>>
OS X/Linux user here

Using OS X is exactly like using linux with a DE on well supported hardware.

The stock software is shit.
It's full of odd little bugs and idiosyncracies you just know the devs brushed off as "who cares/you shouldn't want to do that anyways"
It comes with really fucking outdated software (apple haet gplv3)
It's laggy if you're more than three gens behind on hardware (and sometimes, you know, just laggy

Pros: You can use a shit port of microsoft office. It will still corrupt documents like mad so you might as well use libreoffice oh wait that's a con

Pros: Photoshop! If you need it for your job, you're worthless! If you don't, it's worthless! oh wait windows has that too

Pros: UNIX shell!

oh wait windows has that oo

fuck
>>
>>54097488
If Apple shit is so good, why do they need to constantly threaten reviewers to publish good reviews?

Checkmate mactards.
>>
>>54097488
>all bigger tech sites did the "blacklist" things without getting blacklisted.
>>
>>54097658
>if X is so good, why do they invest into marketing

>>54097673
>computer bild
They are almost as bad as the normal Bild, it's Germany's fox news. Cutting off a shitposting site is what any company would do.
>>
>>54094017
You're wrong, android and GNU/Linux is superior for any technologically inclined person
Whats the fucking point if you dont have any control over your machine?
>>
>>54096732
sounds like the piss bottle guy from /b/
>>
>>54096776
you must be gnu/here nu-male fag
>>
File: 1433634192175.jpg (75 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1433634192175.jpg
75 KB, 640x480
>>54097709
>if i don't like reality is negative towards apel it's shitposting
>>
I bought a magic trackpad recently to use with hackintosh and yeah, I wish I could do all these fucking thingies with Windows 10 or Linux. I'd probably have to learn how to instead of just grabbing bettertouchtool and setting custom gestures and shit

Problem is, on my setup (i5 4460/280x/8gb of RAM) it sometimes feels a bit sluggish. As in I'm switching between desktops and it just happens to do it slowly.

I don't know if it is because of my CPU. It switches the multiplier randomly between 8.0 and 32.0x on HWMonitor. Not sure if it is because I have EIST enabled on the bios or didn't really touch anything after installing hackintosh. InDesign CS5 also works slow. Sloooow. Blows my mind.

It's just pretty comfortable. I'm trying to think of gestures I could use but so far I swipe down with 4 fingers to close a window, swipe left and right with 3 fingers to snap windows to the left and right, I don't know why they didn't make middle click 3 finger tap instead of the look up thing which I don't use anyways. I find the system perfectly fine, just I would love to be able to measure whether or not my CPU and GPU are putting as much work as they should.
>>
>>54097164

>Not many of the vulnerabilities are serious.
And the ones that were serious (i.e. rootpipe) were left untouched for several months.

Some are. At the very least, they don't dent.

>http://www.tonymacx86.com/
The site doesn't really seem to provide a decent comprehensive list of supported hardware. That said, Linux runs on pretty much anything.

>I haven't because I'm not a faggot.
Then you need to lurk more.

>So jailbreak your phone then. 90% of people don't care about that shit.
And thus have a phone I can guarantee with 100% certainty is insecure?

>Copy and paste is not innovative.
Perhaps, but nonetheless, iOS did not have it for the longest time. In many ways, it is still behind Android.

>Are you talking about side loading? Not exclusive to Lagdroid.
Why do you call this side loading? In Windows, if you download an .exe and the double click on it in your file browser, you would just call it installing an application. There is nothing "special" about it. In Android, if you download an .apk and then open it up in your file browser, it is also just installing an application. When you call it "side loading", you treat it as if it is abnormal -- something you're not supposed to do. And yet this is what we have been doing on our PCs for ages. So when many people seek to replace the PC with smartphones and tablets, should we not be capable of doing the same shit we've always been doing?

And no, it's not exclusive to Android, but it's impossible on iOS without a jailbreak.
>>
>>54096732
Why would this guy be jailed? The fuck? Was it not his apartment?
>>
>>54097912
I believe he was renting it, and he also did it to a hotel room.
>>
>>54097912
>>54097920
He was given opportunity to pay compensation but wouldn't, so he was jailed.
>>
>>54097164
> Not many of the vulnerabilities are serious.
which doesn't make it good either, sometimes a combination of vulns can make it pretty serious

> Do you really think plastic laptops are more durable?
This always depends on how it is tested, plastic behaves very different compared to aluminium
But plastic that is supposed to be like aluminium will be better than aluminium in pretty much every aspect

> http://www.tonymacx86.com/
shady website with no real content, what do you want to prove with this?

> I haven't because I'm not a faggot.
Nice way to say "I only browser mac shill sites"
(depending on the benchmark iPhone will be better most of the times though)

> Ricer faggot scum.
yeah, I won't comment that

> Copy and paste is not innovative.
But an essential feature. And apple has never done innovation, they copy existing stuff and put it onto a wide market.
3Dtouch (with a different name) has been done by samsung before but failed because it was such a niche product that developers didn't really use it.

> Are you talking about side loading? Not exclusive to Lagdroid.
for a non jailbroken iPhone it isn't available (with new versions you can from pc). It's not excluse android, but blocked on iOS by default.
>>
>>54097164
They are. The plastic breaks, but absorbs more shock, protecting the operating components. Aluminum transfers shock, and bends, bending everything else with it.

Metal is for look and feel, not practicality.

Any time you find a durable laptop with metal in it, it's metal reinforcements inside a thick ABS plastic shell.
>>
>>54097203
Because apple logo
>>
>>54097994
>shady website with no real content
>provides the easiest and cleanest installer for hackintosh right now
>has forums full of people with different configs making guides for their own setups
>>
Windows 10 is superior.

http://www.alexvking.com/12_inch_macbook_and_windows_10.html

Also when Ubuntu on Windows is released you'll be able to use GPLv3 software without installing them separately, unlike Meme OS X.
>>
Gonna hijack this thread

So, I just got my thinkpad X220T. I'm thinking about doing a 4 boot with
>Arch Linux
>Hackintosh, if I can (fuck you apple for potentially making this very hard for me, and not supporting my WiFi card)
>Remix OS (gonna test this out)
>Windows 10
>>
>>54099387
Whoops. Forgot to say: Am I missing anything?
>>
>>54099398
You cant install remix OS, you live boot it, data is stored on a USB
you can try to make a bootable drive partition
Arch is a pain in the ass to install, if you aren't experienced with linux too much look for another distro
>>
Quick questions guise, I got a 13" Apple MacBook A1181 for free, and I was wondering whether it would be worth refurbishing...

>shell has cracks everywhere
>cum stained keyboard
>busted hard drive
>no charging cord

So basically it would cost ~80$ to refurbish it. Currently I'm stuck with a 1989 IBM ThinkPad (kill me senpai). I just want something that will run relatively fast with chrome and Microsoft word. Is it worth it?
>>
>>54096604
I get 4 hours (full brightness + wifi) out of my x220 on arch.
I haven't done any configuring. It's a second-hand normal size battery. I got really lucky.
However, my MacBook slays every laptop I've ever owned in terms of battery life.
>>
>>54097008
You're so autistic
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.