[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who do you /g/uys use as a domain host? I'm sorting through
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: 1458532486774.jpg (1 MB, 936x1200) Image search: [Google]
1458532486774.jpg
1 MB, 936x1200
Who do you /g/uys use as a domain host?

I'm sorting through different options right now but the most I've garnered is not to use Godaddy.
>>
i use godaddy
>>
>>54093832
it doesnt fucking matter just find the cheapest one out there and be done with it
>>
>>54093858

I think it does matter, I've heard about shit tier Domain hosts hiding fees for administration or just flat out selling your domain name from under you.
>>
>>54093832
I use Hover. Two things I don't like is that I have to buy email addresses separate from domains. I'm not sure if it's different for other hosts. Another thing I don't like is that it has no API. Meaning, your server can't easily control things like subdomains without you editing that stuff yourself. Hover does auto-renew for me each year as long as I have the money.

Hover is all I have ever used, so I'm not sure if any other domain hosts have better stuff.
>>
I use linode
>>
>>54093838
haha retard
>>
like noip?

i haven't used any services other than the free host name but it's been excellent and i've never had any problems
>>
>>54094535
I also use godaddy. Why is it bad?
>>
>>54094602
GoDaddy supported SOPA and PIPA.
If their ethics don't bother you, then
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2093100/godaddy-owns-up-to-role-in-twitter-account-hijacking-incident.html
>>
>>54094602
GoDaddy is either incompetent (to the point of practically being complicit in takeover attempts) or morally vile (they've supported laws that are clearly and unambiguously not in favor of people on the Internet, but benefit companies). They're most likely a little of both.

There are much better registrars and MUCH more competent hosts.
>>
>>54093838
>>54094602

http://pbwebd.com/choosing-a-good-web-host-isnt-godaddy/
>>
>>54094602
Because I interviewed at GoDaddy and there was a slide and I jokingly asked if I could go down it after the interview and he was just like "Uh, no"

I was joking but I really did want to go down the slide. :(
>>
Namecheap
>>
File: 1455330586463.jpg (38 KB, 460x565) Image search: [Google]
1455330586463.jpg
38 KB, 460x565
>>54093832
Lithium hosting. Very cheap.
>>
File: 1181328045815.gif (3 MB, 352x288) Image search: [Google]
1181328045815.gif
3 MB, 352x288
>>54094990
'This slide is for serious business. We don't let just ANYONE ride down our slide.'
>>
>>54093832
namecheap
>>
>>54094952
I'm not American though.

>>54094964

If they're incompetent, then why are they dominant in hosting? Also, why would I care about their morals as a customer? I just want them to host my website.
>>
>>54095097
>I'm not American though
Then you have even less standing to challenge when the government asks GoDaddy for everything they have on you and GoDaddy obliges without putting up any fight.

>why is something popular if it's not good
is this a joke or are you honestly appealing to popularity? Read
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
>>
AWS for GeoLocation
>>
>>54095164
>Then you have even less standing to challenge when the government asks GoDaddy for everything they have on you and GoDaddy obliges without putting up any fight.

Exactly, so why should I care?

I didn't say they were popular, I said they were dominant, which requires business skills. Being dominant isn't just about having the most market share, it's about making the most money, which I think they do.
>>
>>54094499
For domain names I use hover too. I like it way better than godaddy.
>>
>>54095201
you're an incomprehensibly retarded human being. you should keep using godaddy
>>
>>54095271
You're a special snowflake that doesn't want me to use GoDaddy because of political bullshit. I thought you mean that they were shitty hosts when you said they were bad, not that they didn't agree with your retarded anarchist beliefs about the internet and privacy.
>>
>>54095310
Did you not read the above links? His issues with GoDaddy may be "retarded anarchist beliefs", but it's uncontroversial among people who have any experience with hosts and registrars that GoDaddy is insanely bad at their job.

And opposing SOPA isn't some anarchist shit. Were you even around a few years ago? Wikipedia and a bunch of other major sites made big protests about it. How are you this clueless?
>>
>>54095358
It's American dude. I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>54095368
Laws that apply to American companies have implications for their customers regardless of the customer's nationality.

I can't believe I had to explain that just now, but there we go. Hope this helps connect some dots for you. When a company in the US advocates for laws that harm you, you shouldn't trust them.
>>
>>54094995
cosign
>>
>>54095368
How old are you? Where were you in 2012?

I'm honestly curious how someone can be unaware of SOPA and PIPA and shit. Wikipedia and lots of other sites blacked out their front pages for a whole day to protest the proposed laws. It was a huge deal. Even 4chan did something about it.
>>
>>54095391
When GoDaddy operates in Canada and serves Canadian customers, it's goverened by Canadian law.

Suck it Yank. Your failed state's policies don't affect me.

>>54095438
All American sites. Canadian sites did nothing. The sun doesn't orbit America.
>>
File: 040.png (556 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
040.png
556 KB, 512x512
>>54095469
>America is a failed state
>Canada's economy collapsing with plummeting oil prices like other petrostates like Russia, Venezuela, and Saudi Arabia.

Plus y'all didn't even put an NHL into the playoffs this year so sucks to suck don't it?
>>
>>54095469
You browse 4chan now. You almost certainly visit Wikipedia. Most sites are "American". You must have seen this if you were using the Web that day.

What Canadian sites do you browse?
>>
>>54095580
CBC, National Post, rabble.ca, Global, Times Colonist

I get my news from Canada.
>>
>>54095607
would you have any response to a link from every single site detailing the SOPA protests? Or are you just committed to this inconsistent, contradictory bullshit story you're weaving?
>>
>>54095616
Why are you trying to involve me in American political drama? Everyone in Canada knows about SOPA. I don't think Canadian sites participated in the balck out, but I'm not sure. Besides, American retardation is good for Canada because then businesses will move their stuff here. Do you know there is no restrictions on encryption export in Canada, unlike in some countries?
>>
>>54095607
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-would-feel-effect-of-proposed-u-s-stop-online-piracy-act-1.1193802
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/sopa-stopped-after-unprecedented-online-protests
http://rabble.ca/columnists/2012/01/internet-blackout-protest-sends-message-us-legislators
http://globalnews.ca/news/209069/q-a-how-will-the-countrys-copyright-laws-affect-canadians/

As a Canadian, I'd like to ask you not to claim that your ignorance is the result of nationality. Most of us read publications with more than 50k readers (Times Colonist is a very obscure publication that doesn't report on significant, global events).

You're simply out of touch; it has nothing to do with where you live, and everything to do with you.
>>
>>54095674
So earlier when you claimed not to know anything about SOPA or why it mattered to you, that was all bullshit, or what?

And your big picture argument is horse shit. Are you retarded?
>>
File: lead_large.png (248 KB, 615x447) Image search: [Google]
lead_large.png
248 KB, 615x447
>>54095674
see the cbc article linked earlier.

american laws affect you, and not just by spurring businesses moving to Canada (and protip: big companies wouldn't move to canada; they'd move to places with better infrastructure and dramatically more laissez-faire legal regimes, like Ireland)
>>
File: file.jpg (33 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
33 KB, 576x432
I get my domains directly from the top level domain manager in my state and self host my shit because why the Fuck not?
>>
>>54095681
I never claimed to be ignorant of SOPA. It was big news for about a month.

>>54095694
> you claimed not to know anything about SOPA

Where did I claim this. I remember SOPA, and I remember not caring because it wasn't a Canadian bill.

>>54095720

My site isn't .org so it wouldn't be affected, and I don't plan on violating anyone's copyright either.

Canada is more laissez faire than the US.
>>
>>54095766
For the same reason that I don't build all my own furniture - I could do an adequate job, but I'd get a better outcome by paying people whose living it is to do it.
>>
>>54095772
>I remember not caring
Again, see the cbc link.
>My site isn't .org so it wouldn't be affected
... lol, I'm done. You're retarded. >>54095271 was right; you deserve GoDaddy and everything they do to you.
>>
>>54095772
you don't seem as aware of SOPA or its implications as you claim to be...
>>
>>54095772
not for nothing, but any American site you browse (e.g. 4chan) would travel along lines owned by American ISPs, and would have been subject to laws like SOPA.

Something like 40-50% of the Web is hosted in the US. The companies that avoid American laws, taxes, etc... generally funnel money through places that have *dramatically* lower tax rates than the US. Canada might have lower taxes, but if Google is going to cut a corner by avoiding American taxes, they're not going to cut it marginally; they'll route everything through Ireland and get out of a huge majority of their tax obligation.

Companies won't evade US taxes by going to Canada. They have the means to go anywhere; they're not Americans trying to dodge the draft.

You seem to think that you're fundamentally disconnected from the legal/political debates that unfold in the US, EU, etc... but you're not. You're arguably much more exposed to other nations' laws than you think. It's true that you won't be charged with laws in Micronesia, but you might find that a site you used is suddenly inaccessible because the site was hosted out of (or routed through) some random place which passed a crazy law that allowed the government to seize everything at whim (for instance).

You should take more interest in the laws that get passed in other nations, if not all over the world then definitely in the US.

I mean, you can do whatever you want; you could walk in front of a bus right now if you wanted, and it's not really any of my business. But it's not really up for debate that you have no stake in this. Whether you care or not is your decision.
>>
I use OpenNIC domains because fuck ICANN and the domain name business.
>>
>>54093832
What a fucking waste.
>>
I use Namecheap for the registrar, but I've considered moving to Google. I just haven't had any bad experiences with Namecheap, and there's nothing obvious that makes Google as a registrar super compelling, so I'm probably never going to do it. Maybe I'll never get around to it.

Namecheap is fine, seems secure and I can't imagine what more I would want from a registrar.

I don't use Namecheap for hosting anymore, though; I use a Github pages thing, with my CNAME settings and stuff. For big files I host on Amazon S3 because it's retardedly cheap and charges for use (in other words, it doesn't really cost anything to just sit there, and I'd only pay a bit if thousands of people suddenly descended on my site).

For stuff that I want to be run on the server side, I make a new Heroku project thing. Maybe I'll start using EC2 down the road, but Heroku is so easy to get going (maybe if you're familiar with it).

I also have a server that I run at home that a subdomain points to, but I don't really expose that to the public all that much (if I link to something, it'd be to a heroku app).
>>
>>54094990
Aww man that sucks anon
>>
>>54096070

Eh, anyone who wears wears bikini mail in a realistic setting deserves it.
>>
>>54096163
At least keep'em as a slave
>>
>>54096393
They're ye olde feminists engaging in a medieval slut walk.

Even neckbeards have too much dignity to keep feminists anywhere near them. You could try to use them to appease the local dragon's hunger, but it would most likely refuse. You could throw them in a volcano and it would erupt on the spot as if to vomit. There's no getting rid of them. The world really doesn't even want their souls floating around, in heaven or in hell, so they're going to rise from the dead as an army of skeletal zombie womyn. Beauty at every size, you know.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.