[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear /g/, serious question. When the fuck and why the fuck did
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6
File: onthehuntforarguments.gif (2 MB, 348x230) Image search: [Google]
onthehuntforarguments.gif
2 MB, 348x230
Dear /g/, serious question.

When the fuck and why the fuck did computer science become a meme degree full of retards? How did one of the purest degrees get tainted with standard lowering retards?
Somebody please explain...

(PS Im not a CS major Im just shocked at how memey the degree has become)
>>
>>54083773
It's been like that since the 90s, so don't be that shocked. If you wanted in on the awesomeness you should've jumped in the CS train in the 70s.
>>
>>54083837
Is engineering a meme degree?
>>
>>54083773
>purest degrees
It was never a pure degree. Back in the days people got a degree in mathematics. In the late 70s and early 80s universities began making "math lite" aka CS.
>>
>>54083853
Not really. Retards get weeded out, and if there's some left they won't succeed in the workforce. It's been like that since antiquity.
>>
>>54083874
When do you even use math in CS? I'm not going to major in CS but I took a class once and we never did anything regarding math past basic addition.
>>
MBA was a meme degree, now Tesla Motors won't even hire anyone with that degree.
>>
Really fucking tired of hearing teenagers overuse the word "meme"
>>
>>54083891
Do you have to be born a certain way to succeed in engineering? or can hard work suffice?
>>
>>54083929
Sorry, do you prefer "useless degree" or "degree with shit job prospects"?
>>
>>54083934
pls opinions
>>
File: 1443656236107.png (711 KB, 1012x1088) Image search: [Google]
1443656236107.png
711 KB, 1012x1088
>>54083958
>nature vs nurture question
>>
>>54083906
>When do you even use math in CS?
Well, I work in computer vision, so....
>>
>>54083906

>When do you even use math in CS?

>Face palm / 10

CS is a mathematics degree, basically the mathematics of computation.

It shouldn't be called Computer Science, it should be called Computational Mathematics
>>
>>54083773
CS is for people who can't into maths or physics.
>>
>>54083980
Come on man I cant handle smug lolis right now Im trying to get advice on a pedophile imageboard about a major life decision

I was brought up like shit and my parents were fucking losers, I didnt put any effort into school and performed like ass. If I am completely dedicated, is it plausible for me to succeed? I certainly don't have any sort of gift..
>>
>>54084009
Ok, but why does one have to learn math to do it effectively? I've never actually heard of doing complex math to get your software working.
>>
>>54084021
What does computer science have to do with working software?
>>
>>54083946
Just got a CS degree and am now making $83K.

>"degree with shit job prospects"?

If you're one of these "full retards", then yeah, that's what you'll get
>>
>>54084021
Depends on what you want to do. Want to make important innovations? You'll need an understanding of mathematics. Want to be codemonkey#101290413128^2? Maybe you dont need no math cuz it be too hard yo
>>
>>54084037
I just got a math degree and am now making 250k
ur degree a shit
>>
>>54084033
>what does programming have to do with making software

I'm going in with the assumption that CS degrees or at least a lot of them want to become software devs
>>
>>54083773
I could be wrong.

But I suspect it's all the Apple users who think CS is art and design.
>>
>>54084021
In the day-to-day you're working at a much higher level of abstraction than the foundation of CS - which is based on math. So you don't really need to know any math to get a decent SD job, though it's useful for algorithm analysis/measuring performance.
>>
>>54084064
Do you honestly believe that CS is a degree in programming? That's like saying mathematics is a degree in writing and pencils!
>>
>>54084069
do they graduate though
>>
>>54084021
>software engineering
>computer science
You don't need to be a computer scientist to become a software engineer.

>>54084064
Just because software companies prefer people with CS degrees, doesn't mean that CS should be transformed into a training course in software engineering.

I mean, people who work in HR have degrees in history, art, literature, marketing etc... Do you also think you should turn history into HR boot camp?
>>
>>54084063
Degrees are one piece of the puzzle. The rest is what you do with your time outside of class. Which is huge.

I highly doubt you're making 250k, unless you're from an incredibly privileged family or brilliant. What do you do?
>>
>>54084021
CS has nothing to do with software, it's applied mathematics. stuff like language theory, operational research, formal verification... it's the dropouts that get by by code monkeying for some même silicon Valley startup then retard in here think the degree is a meme. Shh though they don't need to know.
>>
>>54084012
From Anon to Anon, all you need is an ambitious mindset. Have a goal in mind and work towards it everyday. If you do that, no matter what background you come from, you will be successful. Also remember, a degree is just a piece of paper, It all depends on what the person got from the knowledge they learned, inside and outside school. A person with limited knowledge that has imagination and determination will almost always do better those with lots of knowledge and none of the other.
>>
>>54084095
When too many students fail they make the exams easier.
Only way to stay profitable.
>>
>>54084128
>When too many students fail they make the exams easier.
>Only way to stay profitable.

HURR DURR PRIVATE SCHOOLS IS GOOD. FREE TUITION OR GOVERNMENT FUNDING IS BAD HERP DERP SANDERS IS A COMMUNIST JEW!!!
>>
File: 1443371324123.png (157 KB, 516x440) Image search: [Google]
1443371324123.png
157 KB, 516x440
Looks like people need to try out Computer Engineering for the real heavy duty stuff. Even I would get rekt.
>>
>>54084153
Private schools do it as well.
>>
>>54084178
Please don't. The computer engineering field is saturated at the moment. We don't need yet another trained computer engineer who does work that is not computer engineering (electronics engineering).
>>
>>54084199
That's what I meant. In Scandinavia, where universities are funded by the state, they don't get paid by number of students passing the exam.
>>
>>54084178
Top kek I'm actually a computer engineer, going to change that in my LinkedIn ASAP. (French school and they didn't give us the correct translations)
>>
there was just a "meme-based hackathon" near my school yesterday
>>
With CS becoming the spotlight and Obama wanting to push "coding" as a part of school. Others wanting it to be the core of various countries in African Continent. There maybe a chance of de-valuation.

They want people who build apps to be cheap.
>>
>>54084119
I have that.. I agree with you. I wonder if I can become brilliant in the field though, I guess time will tell.
>>
>>54084069
Industrial design, Art Direction and Graphic Design have their own schools.

I've graduated from an Advertising school (Visual and Communication/Applied Art) and work as an Art director.

I however won't be able to work abroad as the world thinks India is only good for Pajeet Computer geeks with no creativity and that Indians don't take anything beyond memorizing a textbook seriously.

Sadly Alternative India is never seen by you white folks. Those Poo in loos have tainted the entire country.
>>
>>54084425
how can you tell the difference between pajeet poo in looloo and a person like you?
>>
>>54084104
He Bullshits on the internet
>>
>>54084240
>The computer engineering field is saturated at the moment
What planet do you live on?
>>
>>54083773
honestly with sites like freelancer i don't see how programing is even a profession anymore.

why would any company pay an american programmer thousands of dollars a year when they can get pajeet to do it for like $20?
>>
>>54085156
Low level programming is where a computer engineering degree is very valuable. Having people that really know the hardware is huge for certain kinds of software development.

However you are spot on for things like webdev. Just call up pajeet and send him your cloud api and pay him $5/hr.
>>
This thread smells like underage. OP in particular is a faggot since he's clearly fishing for CS/degree information.
>>
>>54085246
Im OP and Im 19 :o

I am fishing for info, so?
>>
>>54085292
Look at job listings for even something like a data entry position at a hospital. "CS or related degree required." Same with more relevant proramming jobs. All these companies need code monkeys without fully understanding that CS is NOT programming. Programming is the most realistic way to put CS theory into concrete form.
>>
>>54084012
you won't succeed
hard work won't beat inborn abilities, anyone out there that are really successful are just genetically superior and/or lucky
>>
File: 1460393239895.jpg (201 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1460393239895.jpg
201 KB, 640x640
>>54085443
Muh feels man.. Im gonna kill myself!!! ur in my safe space
>>
>>54085443
how dare you say that you fucking bigot loser, everybody is equal fuck you
>>
>>54085443
excuse me, do you have proof of that? fucking troll
>>
File: Black Priv.jpg (265 KB, 750x609) Image search: [Google]
Black Priv.jpg
265 KB, 750x609
>>54084153
>>>/r/sandersforpresident
>>>/safespace/
>>
>>54083773
Anything remotely related to computers is bound to attract a 1337 hax0r type of crowd as well as the people who genuinely have an interest and want to learn.

A lot of the fuckwits on the CS course I did got weeded out in the years after the first, most of them were in Games Development and shit to start with so there weren't too many.
>>
Java
>>
A lot of it has to do with functional programming. FP students don't know anything because they haven't been taught about programming principles. Many things that were common sense and common knowledge in the 60s and 70s are no longer taught or students are told that they are wrong and should be using functional programming instead.

Haskell programmers say that if a language doesn't have an explicit feature, it can't be used in understanding the language. They believe that turning f(g(x)), where f and g can have side effects, into g x >>= f magically prevents bugs.

Lisp programmers say that the machine is bad except when it comes to macros and syntax. They say that syntax should be easy for the machine, not the human. Lisp macros are low-level interpretations of trees (actually pairs), not high-level language extensions. They believe that because Lisp lets you write macros and interpreters, everything that can be written already exists. They belittle the accomplishments of other people or say they're copying Lisp, even when the designers of those particular Lisp features say they came from other languages.
>>
>>54086037
that is the most racist, fascist hate speech Ive seen in a long time, I have reported your post.
>>
>>54084425
you should have said you were indian at the start of the post so I knew not to read any further
>>
>>54086639
What the fuck are you on about you retard. Nobody gives a shit about functional programming. It's literally who of programming paradigms.
>>
>>54087619
Nobody gives a shit unless they're going to school and taught how everything they know is wrong and has "no principles." Functional programming is one of the things responsible for the low quality of CS education.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7957764
>Seems like your university is doing it wrong. While I do believe that the principles used in FP languages are vastly superior I don't think this is really a matter of debate. The advantages are obvious and if you didn't realize it you probably weren't taught well enough.

>The principles used in FP are actual principles you could employ in imperative languages... and people do, because they are obviously good. It's a matter of there actually being principles instead of the alternative; nothing.
>I would like to point out that I'm not saying FP languages are just better overall or that an FP language is always the best choice, but I am saying that the principles they employ and teach undeniably are the best. The alternative isn't as much a principle as it is a lack of principle. Flipping individual switches and modifying memory is just not caring.

This is the kind of crap being taught in universities nowadays. OP asked "When the fuck and why the fuck did computer science become a meme degree full of retards?" and this is part of the answer.
>>
>>54084425
no one would never trust an indian with a creative job, you fucked up.
>>
>>54083773
>When the fuck

Around the 90s

>why the fuck

People wanted a CS degree and didn't want to learn. Companies wanted more CS degrees and forced unis to accept them.

>purest degrees

CS was never pure
>>
>>54084012

Speaking as someone who's been working the Silicon Valley startup scene since 2008. All of the most successful people I've meet have been insanely hard workers; the kind who eat, breath and sleep work. The kind of guys who made millions of dollars, and still come everyday and work until midnight, weekends and everything.

On the other hand, I've gone to school with some incredibly gifted people, who happened to some of the be laziest people on the planet. They would put in the bare minimum work required, and usually succeed. They all got decent jobs, and stopped trying. Going beyond the call of duty was just something they never did.

I would bet on someone with excellent motivation and average intelligence, over someone with excellent intelligence and average motivation. Laziness just holds you back too much.

I dunno, just my $0.02
>>
File: 1452379310443.jpg (31 KB, 638x540) Image search: [Google]
1452379310443.jpg
31 KB, 638x540
>>54084425

>I however won't be able to work abroad as the world thinks India is only good for Pajeet Computer geeks with no creativity and that Indians don't take anything beyond memorizing a textbook seriously.

disney and sony both outsource their animation to India. India is probably the single biggest destinations for outsourcing animation today.
>>
>>one of the purest degrees
cause some universities got soft and changed the course so much that it is not difficult to complete anymore so anyone takes that

>tfw i had to take the same math exams as the mathematics licentiates
>tfw i had to take the most of the exams from the electronics camp too
>still neet with a masters degree in cs
>>
>>54083891
there are a lot of non-truths in this statement
at least when it comes to mechanical
>>
>>54085443
Cool story bro
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.