[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
University cuts access to Tor network
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
Tried to go onto my blog this morning. Taking forever for tor to start up, and then this freaking message shows up.
and its the only thing i can have in the browser. Even if i try and click on the help link at the bottom it just refreshes to the warning.

i made a video if what Im talking about, here have a link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87OXo-Lk0J0&feature=youtu.be

Does anyone know if this is legal? and/or how i could possibly object to this in a meaningful way? i am very much not on board with this. Idgaf about illegal file sharing, and I really really really dont like getting locked out of sections of the internet when im not even wanting to do illegal shit.
>>
What the fuck o.o
>>
>>47567844

git gud fgt
>>
I'm a sysadmin for a fairly large university. Unfortunately, this sort of shit is perfectly legal and objecting to it would be essentially meaningless unless you somehow either got the EFF on board or organized some huge student movement, neither of which is likely.

Many universities (including the one I work for) take a light touch approach to internet access and treat it as a utility that you're paying for via your tuition and/or housing costs. Consequently, we operate our internet more or less like a commercial ISP would, sans corporate money-grubbing bullshit.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you care about this sort of thing it may have made sense to research universities' stances before enrolling.
>>
>>47567919
this 100x
>>
>>47567844
>Does anyone know if this is legal?
It is very legal
>>
>>47567919
Well bleh, as an american, it did not occur to me to check that kind of thing before hand. any if its like you say it doesnt even matter b/c its like that all over the place. There has to be a workaround
>>
>>47567990
>any if its like you say it doesnt even matter b/c its like that all over the place.
Plenty of universities aren't assholes.

The workaround is to use a VPN or similar technique to encrypt all of your traffic.
>>
>>47568011
or just a tor bridge
>>
>>47568036
i tried that for like 5 minutes so if thats the way it will probably require some proper finesse
>>
>that wording
Does your uni not forbid the downloading of TV shows?

>>47567919
I've got a spare computer sitting around doing nothing and would like to set it up as a tor exit node in my dorm. As far as I can tell, the agreement I accepted when I started living here doesn't forbid that but I get the feeling I should talk to someone. Should I talk to the RD for the building or the campus network people or maybe even some CS profs to try to get someone to help?
>>
>>47567844
>lives in a fascist state
>asks if government censorship is legal

toppest of keks
>>
>>47567844
install Gentoo.

Actually Linux might not be a bad idea.
>>
>>47568117
If a resident asked me what I thought about them setting up an exit node, I'd tell them that there's nothing stopping them from it but that they should be prepared to deal with annoying/unpleasant consequences once the university starts getting DMCAs and/or the FBI CP unit comes knocking. We're legally obligated to not just ignore DMCA letters, so even though the consequences usually are nothing more than your RD telling you to knock it off.

Definitely don't expect your RD to understand the concept of a tor exit node. If you talk to anyone, talk to the most senior campus IT person you can find.
>>
>>47567844
>does anyone know if this is legal

You're using a service the university pays for. They don't want you getting up to shady shit on their network, regardless of how anonymous you think you are.

If you don't like it then move off campus.
>>
>>47568056
It is the way. The bridge IPs are "secret" so no admin can blacklist them all. It's used successfully in dictatorship countries that blocks Tor.
>>
>>47567844
To detect tor, I think they would need to be doing some form of deep packet inspection. Get a obfs4 bridge from the tor project website and add it to your torrc file. Make sure it's in this format:

Bridge xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Your tor traffic should then now be indistinguishable from regular HTTPS traffic.
>>
Bridge you incompetent monkey
>>
>>47567844

>Using tor to 'go to my blog'
>'Is this legal?'

A better question is how fucking shitty is that school to accept a complete retard like yourself.
>>
>>47568358
Bitch what?
>>
>>47567844
>illegal software
kek
>>
>>47568304
thats actually helpful thanks

Its giving me this message though:
Tor failed to establish a Tor network connection.

Connecting to a relay directory failed (missing pluggable transport).
>>
Hey OP, your University is running SafeConnect and the locally installed policy key is quarantining you. The local policy key sees some program your IT has blacklisted as file sharing.

The problem is, the SafeConnect NAC appliance will quarantine you if you don't have the policy key installed in Windows/OS X, or if the program is installed but you have a blacklisted program.

There are ways to fool Safeconnect into not requiring the policy key install and giving you unfiltered internet but getting you expelled for violating your university's IT policies is not on my agenda for today.
>>
>>47567844
Block certain access on their own network.
>hurr durr is this legal
You are retarded.
>>
>>47568620
>getting you expelled for violating your university's IT policies is not on my agenda for today.

What a colossal faggot.
>>
>>47568652
if OP really gives a shit, search safeconnect on the /g/ archive. how to defeat it has been posted before. just be aware that bypassing it may be stirring the hornet's nest.
>>
>>47567844
>illegal peer-to-peer file sharing software
Tell them they're fucking morons.
>>
>>47568636
My mistake I was thinking in terms of using a stand alone tor daemon. What you need is a separate bundle, just google "obfsproxy tor" and click the torproject link and then "Download Tor Browser with obfsproxy". It should come with obsf4 bridges already preinstalled.
>>
>>47568620
the solution is literally to install gentoo
>>
>>47568521

>>47568734
>>
>>47568772
There's better workarounds. Most Linux distros will force you to sign into SafeConnect without software install as often as every half hour. There are other ways that don't require a new OS or any authentication.
>>
>>47567844
>What is proxy
>>
Report back if you've got it working OP. Otherwise I'd personally suggest a VPS in Eastern Europe
>>
>>47568236
Actually, since he attends the university, he and every other fucking student pays for it. Since he pays taxes, and they are probably running on the government grants they get, he also pays for it that way too.

Either way, you should start a petition and maybe try to get the EFF involved.
>>
>>47568800
or, you know, use someone elses credentials :^)
>>
>>47568879
You don't need any credentials if you do it right, you're an unknown on the network.
>>
>>47568896
well its not like that matters. if you run windows you are inherently fucked anyway
>>
>>47567844
Dipshit.
>>
>>47568484
You're a retard. Do we need to spell it out for you? If you have to ask "Is blocking my 1st amendment right legal?" Then you are a sub human. You also deserve your citizenship revoked.
>>
>>47567844
change the ports it runs on. they are clearly blocking certain ports used by bittorrent etc and you got caught up in it.

http traffic will be fine so use a vpn to unblock anything you need.
>>
>>47567844
http://xmyip.com/ip/198.31.193.211

your data is being bounced down through a server in florida
>>
>>47569260
o.O
that is not the direction i thought you were going to take that
>>
Use a VPN.

>Florida

Move.
>>
>>47567844
Does the university require you to have any agent/program running as part of the requirement to access the network? It looks like something reported that you have a P2P program installed which makes me think you have a snitch inside your machine.
>>
>tried to go to my blog this morning
>blog
why are you on /g/
>>
>>47567844
>Does anyone know if this is legal?
yes
>and/or how i could possibly object to this in a meaningful way?
drop out
>>
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/10/safeconnect-universities-peer-peer-file-sharing
>>
>>47567844
you're going to need an external VPS or something to route traffic through....

Can you do some testing to check what kind of network appliance is filtering your shit? If it's a Bluecoat you're fucked, but a lot of other shit will allow obfsproxy traffic outbound
>>
File: 1428618628919.gif (1024 KB, 184x141) Image search: [Google]
1428618628919.gif
1024 KB, 184x141
>>47567844
The irony is that this would basically only happen in America. THE LAND OF THE FREE :^)

>tfw europoor living in a country that doesn't give a shit about copyright and laws protecting me from the university doing jack shit about me torrenting all day on their network.
>>
the safeconnect botnet program you installed doesn't like the fact that you're using tor
safeconnect isn't compatible with loonix, so install loonix, and do whatever the fuck you want
you'll still have to sign in, but at least you won't need to install the botnet monitoring software
>>
>>47571469
in eastern yurop we used odc++ for filesharing and you could basically find everything cause we had 30GB/month but we didn't pay shit for (also state uni). Sys admins usually had more (they had multiple ppoe accounts) and were the first to download games and stuff and we just got it from them.
>>
Of course it's legal it's their fucking network
>>
>>47568734
I am having trouble finding this. I ended up redownloading the same package and it still says it only has the recommended obsf3
>>
If you aren't using a VPN over sketchy networks you should consider yourself "technologically illiterate"
>>
File: reddit.png (182 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
reddit.png
182 KB, 1366x768
*reddit*
>>
>>47568693
DoS the proxy server and launch an SQL Injection scan on all servers. Deface all defaceable pages with a message of your hatred.
>>
File: herb.png (397 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
herb.png
397 KB, 1366x768
>>47573704
What a douche
>>
>>47567844
Just tell the sysadmin that you're a linux nerd and that you download linux via torrents... And you spice things up you could also say that you make your own music like dubstep or something and you're sharing it via p2p.....Also.... fuck tor.... Buy a good vpn and use on the schools network. Problem solved.
>>
>>47572672
Fuck off.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.