[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wit/ - Women in Tech
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
File: RosieTech.jpg (671 KB, 1137x757) Image search: [Google]
RosieTech.jpg
671 KB, 1137x757
What's the latest in the female tech world?
Who's the best female coder right now?
How do we get more women to study and work in tech?

This thread is for discussing anything and everything relating to women in the tech world. Discussion about LGBT and inclusivity in tech is also welcome.

Remember, creeps expect to find you alone, that's how harassment starts in in conferences. Find a group or form one!
>>
LinuxChix, a community for women who like Linux and Free Software, and for women and men who want to support women in computing.
http://www.linuxchix.org/
>>
The other thread went 404, but don't be discouraged by the mistake of one janitor. Other threads are less related to tech and are still up >>54061715
>>
>>54069270
>Women in Tech

no
>>
>>54069270
>What's the latest in the female tech world?
Some black women wants to start a witchhunting site

>Who's the best female coder right now?
You can't measure that shit. And even if you could, what does it matter? I don't give a shit who the best male/Jewis/Chinese/Muslim/West African, coder is

>How do we get more women to study and work in tech?
How do men get to work and study in tech? By being interested in it.
>>
File: title-linren.gif (2 KB, 21x21) Image search: [Google]
title-linren.gif
2 KB, 21x21
>>54069270
>Discussion about LGBT and inclusivity in tech is also welcome.

This is why tech is so ridiculous nowadays.
>>
>>54069270
DebianLesbians
>>
File: 1434834462332.png (755 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1434834462332.png
755 KB, 1080x1920
>>54071429
>Debian
>>
>implying women can't be creeps
>>
>>54069270
go fuck yourself leddit
>>
>>54069270
Fuck off reddit
>>
>LGBT
I'm gay and this is dumb as hell. There doesn't need to be anything special for LGBT people. I just want people to treat me like they'd treat anyone else. No one in the tech industry (in my case IT) fucking cares about who you want to fuck.
>>

why should they? it's nice to want equality, but it's not always practical. how many male secretaries/receptionists do you see?
>>
>>54069270
>>>/r/eddit
>>
Niggers and women ruin everything.
>>
>>54071895
>>>/pol/
>>
>>54071912
>>>/r/eddit
>>
File: 1395223632455.png (252 KB, 462x675) Image search: [Google]
1395223632455.png
252 KB, 462x675
>tfw I've been the only girl in class for 3 semesters now
>tfw all the cute girls are getting meme degrees
>>
>>54071279
Everything you said is true, except
>How do men get to work and study in tech? By being interested in it.
Society pushes men and women into different fields, even at an early age. For instance, boys might get Legos with toys (which could incline them towards engineering fields), whereas girls might get dolls, which incline them to be airheaded bimbos. Similarly, many people have a subconscious bias against women - a boy who is bossy is often seen as a leader, whereas a girl who is bossy is seen as a bitch.

These subconscious biases are found in people in positions of power, who may automatically devalue what a women has to say because they have the pre-existing belief that women are stupid(er). Of course, sometimes these biases are conscious, as you'll find to be the case on /g/, or most other neo-nazi image boards (and despite this, the neo-nazis claim that women are getting fair trreatment)
>>
>>54072245
Cool Marxism, senpai, but Leddit is the other way.
>>
>>54072245
>a boy who is bossy is often seen as an asshole, whereas a girl who is bossy is seen as a bitch.

men and women can lead well, but you're comparing shitty leading styles to good leading styles here. If a girl is being bossy, she is being a bitch, just like if a guy is being bossy, he's an asshole.
>>
File: kill_yourself_stupid.png (128 KB, 450x260) Image search: [Google]
kill_yourself_stupid.png
128 KB, 450x260
>>54071772
>>54071806
>>54071879
>>54071944
>>54072583
Cancer.
>>
>>54072583
>acknowledging the existence of social norms and not pretending human behavior occurs in a vacuum makes you a Marxist
>>
>be gay
>able to write C++ and not talk about LGBT crap every other sentence and make SJW commits

Thanks for making us look like freaks who need attention.
>>
>>54072866
True, that's why the first rule is
bossy =/= leadership

A team reveling against a bossy woman is more likely to be seen because in the mind of the western culture is a position of weakness if it is a woman leading. If she does it just good there should be no problem unless there is a toxic asshole in the crew, but often than not those need to be put in his place.
>>
>>54069270
>Remember, creeps expect to find you alone, that's how harassment starts in in conferences. Find a group or form one!
but this is retarded
>>
>>54073088
>SJW meme
More cancer.
>>
>>54073147
>>
i welcome threads like this.
4chan needs ideological diversity if we are ever to make this website great again.
>>
>>54073174
If it weren't for the memers would be just perfect.
>>
As a woman in technology, the only time I've seen actual sexism is on the internet when it leaks from /pol/ and TRP.

99.9% of it is spoiled twats thinking a lack of special treatment means they're being discriminated against.
>>
>>54073235
>99.9% of it is spoiled twats thinking a lack of special treatment means they're being discriminated against.

not quite, I'd say that case is approximately 40%

the other 60% is them not realizing they're being called retarded because they're being retarded, not because they're a woman.
>>
>>54069270

Simple answer, give them cyberpunk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce53eICXREc
>>
>>54069270
You want to force these women to study in tech?

That sounds a lot like rape, anon. Why do you want to rape these women? They should be allowed to study whatever they want.
>>
File: 1459289605370.png (84 KB, 4000x4000) Image search: [Google]
1459289605370.png
84 KB, 4000x4000
>>54073557
>>
>>54073557
Shitpost aside, from very little the mind of the girls are bombarded with the goal of conforming to a disney princess standard, and is ill seen when they don't comply.
>>
>>54073856
>tfw American media has a lot of really shitty female characters
good thing we have anime
>>
>>54073856
When some girls are attracted to nerdy stuff, they are pushed back by grownups.

Maybe what we need is more mainstream nerdy stuff like >>54073314

But I get the feeling nothing of that is going to happen unless some organization dedicates to visit schools to promote girls into tech or something alike.
>>
>>54073907
There are just as many shitty male characters
>>
>>54073907
I hope you are not implying what I think you are implying.

If you do, I call bullshit and use my boku no pico card.
>>
>>54073929
Sure, but there's also some really cool male characters. That's a lot more rare among female characters.
>>
>>54073856
>from very little the mind of the girls are bombarded with the goal of conforming to a disney princess standard,

what are boys bombarded with conforming to? Are you suggesting forcing everyone to change from telling girls to conform to one thing to telling them to conform to something new?

When I was in school, everybody was told that they could be whatever they wanted, examples were given like astronauts and president. I don't remember any teacher ever once giving a meaningful glance at the girls and saying "but you have to be a princess because all girls must be princesses"

All I see is you regurgitating bullshit that you've read in other places and projecting that view on the world, saying that "all girls are subjected to this" when in reality the opposite is true.
>>
File: The-Machine-011.jpg (45 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
The-Machine-011.jpg
45 KB, 460x276
>>54073907
Mainstream media in general is sexist. Look at the movie The Machine (pic related), a killer cyberpunk. The female character is not some evil bitch seducing the main character. Didn't received a lot of promotion.

>>54074040
Like japan isn't as sexist as the western.
>>
>>54074064
>implying
>implying
>implying
You are part of the rapist, not the raped.

If you don't want to encourage shit, what the fuck are you doing here by being an authoritarian forcing us to not do shit?
>>
>>54074093
*culture
>>
>>54074125
you're the one being authoritarian by forcing girls to do shit.
>>
>>54074064
We should provide children with a variety of role models, so they can choose the future they want and not feel forced into anything.
>>
>>54074381
so your proposal is to force women into doing things that they don't want to do, so that girls can have role models so that they might want to do things they wouldn't otherwise want to do?

your plan is shit m8
>>
>>54074442
No, providing potential role models is not "forcing" anyone to do anything.
>>
>>54074442
Shitposter.
>>
>>54075021
the lack of role models means that women have clearly not wanted to do this, so why should we force them into it?
>>
>>54075162
No, that would only be true if there are no role models for women. Which isn't true. So we should either get rid of role models completely (which isn't realistic) or provide a variety of role models.
>>
>>54075188
there are very few role models for girls in the field that you want them to go into (not the field that they want to go into, this distinction is important)

the lack of female role models in the field that you want them to go into implies that they aren't generally interested in the field and so they don't generally go into that field, so role models are less common.
>>
>>54073914
>unless some organization dedicates to visit schools to promote girls into tech

Are you living under a rock, that's exactly what's been happening for the last ten years or so.
>>
>>54075381
Girls (or any demographic group really) are not monolithic, they may exhibit tendencies but interests are still an individual matter. If all the role models they have are in field A, even those individuals who are more interested in field B or C may feel pressured to express interest in field A, or feel that there's something wrong with not being interested in it. Whereas if the role models are more diverse, there will be less discouragement/encouragement of individuals' interests.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.