[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people say NodeJs is cancer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4
>>
>>54066846
because it is
>>
>>54066846
Is JavaScript?
>>
Cause it's 2016
>>
>>54066846
NodeJS isn't a cancer by itself.

The people who are using NodeJS tend to be cancerous.
>>
>>54066898
This, people tend to 'fix' a problem by tacking on something else which leads to more problems, bloat and shit instead of doing the right thing

as a psuedo web package manager its not that bad
>>
People say it's cancer for two reasons.
1) They are old and think that if your code doesn't compile they you aren't writing real code. New things are scary to tease apes.
2) Node is very powerful and uses a very simple programming language with a huge list of modules that support it for just about everything. So allot of script kiddies make applications that are written like shit and think they are good programmers.

Overall node is a really good thing and it's part of the natural progression of software development. Just like now Apple swapped from Objective-C to Swift.
>>
>>54066948
Also, asynchronous has its limitations.

Nearly completely eschewing the traditional thread model is a problem, yet whenever someone raises this problem, NodeJS community just goes "well you're doing it wrong if you're using threads," but is unable to come up with a way to do it just as well with just async.
>>
because people are trying so hard to use a scripting language with only dynamic typing in big software projects
>>
>>54066846
Because to use it fully you need to put a great amount of trust in something inherently untrustworthy (npm)
>>
>>54066846
Because they don't know the difference between node and npm
>>
because pretentious autists think only real programming is their lil C which is only good for one thing and is outdated as fuck, those people tend to not have jobs because their productivity is near zero
>>
>>54067099
>thinking web developers are real programmers
>>
>>54067281
But web developers are real programmers:)
>>
Because RoR > nodeJS
>>
>>54067281
implying nodejs has to be web programming
>>
>>54066846
It's a fundamentally different programming paradigm and people are a shit at learning new things.

Also because people don't understand JavaScript well enough (closures, first class functions). If you're gonna write Java code with JavaScript syntax in Node, nothing will work/make sense.
>>
>>54067477
RoR is dead. Deal with it. Nobody wants to learn a whole language to just use one slow and memory hungry framework.
>>
File: pika.png (12 KB, 1777x834) Image search: [Google]
pika.png
12 KB, 1777x834
Cmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn xfvhdsfvgW
>>
>>54066846
Things developed with it tend to be crap.

Javascript has enough problems that developers who know all of them will still prefer a framework
>>
>>54066846
Because they are basement neckbeards. They fear change.

>>54066898
autist triggered
>>
As someone who has been developing websites since NCSA Mosaic was the only browser available, I'd just like to say that I'm really f*cking tired of all the smart assholes out there continuously developing entirely new ways to build web applications.

It started simple enough, just html and javascript. Then Cold Fusion. Then java applets. Then java servlets... Then 5 or 6 different Java application servers, EJBs, JSP, struts, XSLT, PHP. But screw all of that. We need Spring. No wait, we need Ruby...and Rails. Wait, we need jQuery. screw jQuery. We need AngularJs, and Backbone, and Ember!

The world just won't be right until we have 12 different ways to do the same thing in Javascript! Forget all those server-side things you learned. Node.js is here! No-wait. F*ck Node. Use Google Go! Honestly how many times are we going to re-invent this wheel? Unless you stay current with all of this nonsense, you basically become unhireable. I'm sure some of you 20 and 30-somethings have already experienced some of this fatigue. Now just imaging 10-15 more years where every 3 years a good portion of what you learned before is now obsolete, and you'll feel like I do.

Fuck.
>>
>>54066948
>Overall node is a really good thing and it's part of the natural progression of software development. Just like now Apple swapped from Objective-C to Swift.

Agree. There was a need of fast, standard, high perf multiparadigm dynamic language. Node filled that niche.
>>
JavaScript was hacked together garbage that solved some problems really early on. It was never meant to stick around this long.

Node is an example of a mountain of tooling built on a software stack that was meant to be dropped over a decade and a half ago.

The world doubled down on using the wrong tool for the job so aggressively.

Like if we started throwing billions at the shuttle program again. Or at a rickshaw industry.
>>
>>54068150
Perl > *
>>
>>54068155
>language
Lol
>>
>>54068192

perl 5 or perl 6?
>>
>>54068230
>needing to ask
>>
>>54066846
Because it was built to replace PHP4...
>>
>>54068150
Ok, serious question: what do you suggest we do about it, instead of embracing the new technologies and learning them to stay relevant?
I'm not asking to make a point, but I feel you could be right - I just don't see what alternative there is.
>>
>>54068185
/thread
>>
>>54068424
Basically nothing.

Websites are cancer and they need to keep shuffling the market to sustain the bubble

The hammer and window is still a solid economic practice if you have the money
>>
>>54068938
is not >>54068150 btw
>>
>>54068155
Node isn't a language.
>>
>>54067281
>not shilling webdev to old white people for six figures because they're too ancient to learn how to use technology
What a time to be alive!
>>
>>54067281
I make $50/hr being a fake programmer according to your logic. I'll make sure my boss is aware.
>>
>>54066846
it got popular, we're suposed to hate it
>>
Because they are mentally retarded.
>>
>>54068148
le no argument face
>>
>>54067968

sadly this is kind of true but I fucking loved Rails back in the day
>>
>>54068150

i feel you. the good news is the new stuff isn't that hard to learn. just takes mucking around on weekends which is annoying to an adult who wants to do stuff that's not work and then get sleep at night.
>>
LEFTPAD
E
F
T
P
A
D
>>
>>54066846
javascript is cancer.
>>
I like node but I'm willing to listen to anyone that thinks it's shit.

I've been making a game in node and I'm using ES6 classes. Someone in another thread told me using the class keyword in node was shit but didn't actually tell me why.

Someone please play devil's advocate for him because he disappeared and I need answers
>>
>>54068150
You could've stayed with PHP. PHP is still relevant thanks to a lot of legacy systems and new life laravel breathed into it. You do not need to learn everything new. Many of those new technologies are only existing on github and die quickly (ruby on rails is the best example). There are technologies out there that worked for years now and will continue to work for years to come. PHP, Python and C# are just a few of many examples. Don't loose hope.
>>
>>54066846
DELETE THIS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: koa.jpg (156 KB, 560x764) Image search: [Google]
koa.jpg
156 KB, 560x764
BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW THE JOYS OF ES7
>>
>>54072555
Is async/await they way node handles asynchronous operations? Is it the same as C# async/await? I'm not a web dev myself, please don't shout at me for stupid questions ;)
>>
>>54072271
I so want to believe this. I decided to learn javascript in depth and for the backend part and general non-web scripting python and php, I also believe that these technologies will not die soon.
>>
>>54067950
>JS retards think they invent FP
>>
>>54072895
The best way to stay safe is to pick technologies that had a lot of software written in them. It's even better if it's enterprise class software. This software won't be rewritten any time soon and they will need developers to maintain it. Need proofs? Joomla, that old piece of shit, is still maintained. 11 years from first release, and nobody liked it even back then. The only reason for that is that back then a lot of webpages were created with Joomla and they are still used to this day. Even better example may be cobol. Yes, people still use this. Old banking backends or telecom server toolkits need to continue working. Rewriting them is hell, downtime and bugs connected with new tools, makes management scream in horror. The effect is that there are still people maintaining those museums, decades after release.
>>
>>54066846
Because JavaScript is for websites
>>
>>54068150

That's called job security fucko. If we had one tool that did everything then anyone could learn it and take your job.

Be thankful you're needed
>>
>>54073019
Just reminded me when I saw what our telecom companies and post offices use.. You are right. Its interesting how those serious things are hell to rewrite and rebuild and reconnect everything in a new platform for ,for example, a bank, telecom company etc. while shitty technologies and libraries are rising like mushrooms after rain and dying ever so quickly.
>>
>the mem language
http://blog.digg.com/post/141552444676/making-the-switch-from-nodejs-to-golang
>muh callbacks

http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/node.js
>Node.js is one of the worst things to happen to the software industry in recent times, a whole generation of programmers are being taught the worst of all ways of doing concurrency, in a system that doesn’t scale either in performance or project size and with one of the languages most plagued by pitfalls ever created.
>JavaScript was already painful enough in the browser, why on earth anyone ever thought it was a good idea to use it on the server boggles the mind.

Nobody can give me a valid reason why we should be using javascript as server side code
>>
- It's built on JS, which is a messy and strangely inconsistent language
- Because it's built on JS everyone can use it, so there are tons of shitty projects built on it (like PHP was before)
- It's very much tied to npm, which as recent events have shown is not trustworthy.
>>
>>54073203
>Nobody can give me a valid reason why we should be using javascript as server side code

Well I sort of can. Considering how and where web is progressing we soon may go away with divide of client and server. Clients will become always online and thinner (they already are to an extent). Using same language in both places will be a benefit in this situation. It may not be a best argument but it is still an argument.
>>
>>54073294
the divide should not go away and hopefully will not. Plus the skill set required to shit out a wordpress blog vs developing an API as example is vastly different. I wouldn't necessarily trust a front end dev with backend work and vice versa.

I am of course not talking about small web dev tier shop development either.
>>
>>54073362
You forget that client side applications (web, but also mobile and desktop electron/ionic clients) have big amounts of local logic. It is not written by CSS guys. It's usually written by the guys who do server side or with guys with similar skill set. Times where frontend meant just skinned templates are long gone friend.
>>
>>54073294

How often do you reuse code between the server and client side? I've never had that been a useful feature, nor do I know anyone who has.
>>
>>54072635
Not that guy, but in node they mostly use callbacks, await and such must be the new features in es6
>>
>>54073532
You don't reuse code. You reuse programmers. When backend guys get some free time, they can help with writing logic for the client applications. This gives companies enormous flexibility when it comes to using their human resources best and prevents programmers from not having anything to do. This is where having one language is actually an important thing, it smoothes the transition between tasks.
>>
>>54073607
Oh sweet baby jesus. I encountered those once when using a thing called titanium. I still have nightmares from time to time.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.