[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apple expects your iPhone to be replaced after three years -
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 10
File: 1453676825168.png (21 KB, 470x495) Image search: [Google]
1453676825168.png
21 KB, 470x495
Apple expects your iPhone to be replaced after three years - Apple Watch expected to last only three years too, while Mac computers should last four

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/15/apple-iphone-last-three-years-mac-computer-four
>>
I have to say I'm surprised that my 4S is still getting current generation iOS updates though considering it's nearing 5 years old
>>
>>54057453
Pretty much.

My iPhone 5 (bought on release date, so it's about 3.5 years old) started to shit itself when it turned three. Exchanged the lightning port, then the battery and a few weeks ago the camera. At least it's pretty fucking easy to repair, unlike some other phones.
>>
home button on my iphone 4 went up after a year
>>
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 650x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 650x500
>>54057453
It's made to fail to fund the consumerist cycle
>>
>>54057736
>>54057736
It really is too bad how he became an insane drug addicted womyn, he had a good sense of comedy when he was a man
>>
>>54057453
is there any company that doesn't have planned obsolescence? android phones are far worse at ageing it seems, support gets dropped immediately when another version of android comes out usually
>>
My MacBook has lasted well beyond 4 years.

These are just estimates, not hard limits.
>>
>>54057769
learn to flash your own ROMs you lazy bum

apple doesn't let you do your own flashing like android does
>>
>>54057453
>typical guardian making sensational news from boring material
You do realize that they just pulled this from a message related to recyclability for earth day shit?
My last MBP lasted 5 years before the mobo broke (would have cost $300 to replace, even the frugal macresource guy at my campus said it would be best to put that money to a new computer).

I am in this >>54057572 guy's boat. I'm hoping that apple extends the new 4 update support that they did for the 4S for my 5. I'll get a new iPhone when the 7S(?) and iOS 11 comes out in 2017.
>>
>>54058089
>using ROMs made by some random indian

i'd rather have official updates tbhfam
>>
>>54058089
OS support with apple is better though. iOS 4 on the 3G is horrible and iOS 7.0.X was shitty for the 4. I have a 4S with 9.3.1 and it runs faster than any other device I've seen on earlier iOS 9 versions. Newer devices on 9.3.1 are amazing.
>>
Used my iPhone 5 for four years before it was stolen and it was still almost as fast as the day that I got it,
even with jailbreak tweaks. it just werked

Now I'm using an SIII which came out around the same time and it lags doing the simplest tasks,
the usb port wore out so now I use a wall charger
and I cant root it, the plastic is worn out,
and it hasn't got an update since 3 years ago
>>
>>54058308
you get what you pay for.
>>
>>54057453
As far as iPhones go, that's a pretty conservative estimate, most people with flagship phones tend to upgrade every 2 years when they've paid off their old phone.
>>
>>54058089
>risking bricking your device and voiding your warranty to install a buggy, unstable and insecure OS is better than getting official updates from the company that you originally gave money to when you bought the phone

That's how stupid androidfags are.

But I don't blame you, you're probably poor and have no other choice other than buy android crap
>>
>>54058308
Get a iPhone SE
>>
>>54058308
Are you me? I had an iphone 5 as well since 2012 and it was still working smoothly on iOS9. Some nigger stole it recently though and I'm a bit broke right now (unemployed student) so I was force to accept my mum's old used S3 Neo.

They don't even compare. Awful. This shit lags everywhere, Android never again. No update as well.
>>
I had an iPhone 5 since launch, the thing is still a beast and iOS 9 on it is wonderful. I upgraded to an iPhone 6s for the A9 and 3D Touch.
>>
>>54058470
why did you not use 'find my iphone' ?
>>
>>54058470
Did you have iCloud's find my iPhone enabled? Even better if you had it jailbroken with the iCaughtU Pro tweak. Hell I've seen some success stories on r/jailbreak with it. One story was that some kebabs who stole a phone were BTFO and their court lawyer pretty much gave up when the evidence was presented that the phone used the front camera to get covert selfies.
>>
>>54058470
mate just factory reset it or baleet the 9 gajillion apps on it.

too many apps=shit battery and performance

>>54057453
people are still running vintage macs from the 80s are they serious about this?

never buy apple hardware, even if you like apple hackintosh and osx all the way with pc parts picker.
>>
>>54058701
apple hardware is pretty reliable if you don't treat it like shit
>>
>>54057481
It runs like shit outside of 6.1.3. Had to get a 6s and put that shit back in its box until I find the time to downgrade it.
>>
>>54057453
I'm actually Apple expects me to use stuff after 2 years.
>>
File: bs.jpg (92 KB, 670x720) Image search: [Google]
bs.jpg
92 KB, 670x720
>>54058769
> clean install
> disable animations
> disable blur effect
> fast as new
Gave my 4S to mom, it just werks as new.
>>
My iPad 3 is nearly four years old. Home button started only working intermittently about two years ago but other than that it's just as shit as it was the day I got it.
>>
>>54058950
This. I have 4S on 9.3.1 that runs smoother than my jailbroken 5 on 9.0.2. Only downside is that the battery is complete shit (simple fix but regularly forget to fix it).
>>
File: iPadAir.jpg (215 KB, 1356x1128) Image search: [Google]
iPadAir.jpg
215 KB, 1356x1128
>>54058979
> iPad 3
Yeah it's the worst iPad ever lad, my first gen Air is almost 3 years old and still fast af. With the case and screen protector it's literally a tank, feel multiple time on the floor and nothing happens.

Love to use it as a manga reader and browser on bed b4 sleep, night shift is helping a lot too.
>>
>>54057453
Ive never had a cell phone from any company ever last 3 years. I really have no problem with this personally, although I do think it speaks to the state of our society. Generally speaking, nothing is built to last these days.
>>
>>54057453
So? Seems like perfectly good estimates, and unless you're homeless, there is no reason to use the same phone or laptop for longer than 3 years, because the technological advancement alone.

Unlike most manufacturers, Apple actually provides support for their devices even longer than 3 years, so it's not like you have to upgrade, it's simply the best choice.
>>
>>54059027
got a brand new battery for my iPhone 5 really cheap, fixed the battery issue and it feels like it's ready for 3 more years of abuse.
>>
File: haha.png (466 KB, 619x706) Image search: [Google]
haha.png
466 KB, 619x706
>>54057453
Who the fuck uses a 4 year old computer? Poor people? Wtf
>>
File: CeFvT7TUMAEdr-v.jpg (18 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
CeFvT7TUMAEdr-v.jpg
18 KB, 600x400
>>54059088
>>
>>54057453
>My iPhone4 still works
I even still use it as a music player too.
>My Late 2008 Unibody Macbook not only still work, it's my main laptop
>>
>>54057453
I don't think Apple decides how long my phone lasts. More likely it's the competition. Still have an iPhone 4S 32GB. Working like a charm.
>>
>>54058532
>>54058580
Long story.

I was drunk af when he stole it from my pocket. When I finally managed to get sober I saw that he changed my Gmail password.

Somehow he must have guessed the 4pin lockscreen code and then he changed all my passwords including from iCloud so he removed the iPhone from my devices
>>
>>54059052
I just don't have a use for it. All I want from a tablet are Kodi and Chrome. Kodi is sluggish and occasionally crashes on iOS and Botnet Browser is slow as fuck. I just don't see what it does that a $120 Chinese Android/Windows tablet can't do equally well.

The worst bit is that I can't just get rid of it and get something decent because my faggot wife bought it for me for my birthday despite me not owning or having any interest whatsoever in Apple products, and us having been married for several years before she bought me it.
>>
>>54059249
I'm guessing you didn't have it set to lock after multiple incorrect attempts?

What was your pin? 1234?
>>
>>54059249
>I was drunk
Well there's the problem right there. Plus not locking your phone. You can't guess the 4 numbers easily without locking your phone-up.
>>
>>54059059
>there is no reason to use the same phone or laptop for longer than 3 years
There have been no meaningful technological advancements in laptops for five years and phones in two years, you hyperconsumerist shithead
>>
>>54059275
Isn't that on by default?

My pass wanst easy it was 7490
>>
>>54058308
I'm still using an S3 and can confirm it's laggy as fuck. Even putting in my pin on the fucking lockscreen will lag for a couple seconds sometime and then spurt it through all at once.
>>
>>54059287
>and phones in two years
So you agree that switching a phone every 3 years is good then?

>technological advancements in laptops for five years
Massive size reduction while keeping the performance, SSDs are dirt cheap and HDDs obsolete, 8h battery life is a standard for small devices and of course a resolution bump.

Also last year the Retina Macbook started the fanless trend, 3 years from now on, only workstations and desktop replacements will have fans. As with HDDs, less moving parts is better and not having to worry about dust is a plus too.
>>
>>54059066
Nice. I got my iPhone 5 battery replaced 20 months ago when apple offered to fix faulty ip5 batteries. Its at 540 load cycles and has 89% capacity. I think I'm pretty good until fall '17

>>54059249
Why didn't you tell your phone company that the phone was stolen. Tell them the IMEI and the phone becomes a brick. Also knowing the serial number is good too (with a dated photo with purchase receipt). You can bring this to the police and slam his ass. Why? Because nobody has anybody else's phone's serial for shits and giggles.

Thieves deserve to get BTFO by justice.
>>
>>54059307
iOS 9 allows for 6 digit passcode. Makes it even hard for niggers to steal device.
>>
>>54059349
>Tell them the IMEI and the phone becomes a brick
Yeah, I did that already.
>>
>>54059396
So were you able to blacklist the stolen phone? Or did the cell company not give a fuck? If it worked then at least his victory was pointless.

You could also just steal your phone back, it's not like thieves can report to the law. Providing you have the serial number, receipt of purchase and iPhone purchase box, emails of him removing your device from iCloud and password changes. If you got this just take the device back. If he gets the law involved you have proof that you were taking back stolen property.
>>
>>54059344
>So you agree that switching a phone every 3 years is good then?
It depends. Three years ago it was worth switching every year. In CURRENT_YEAR though, a three year-old phone like a G3 is still just as competent as anything released since. A blanket statement like "hurr everyone must throw out their electronics on an arbitrary schedule" is just idiotic.

>Massive size reduction while keeping the performance
They're the same size as they were ten years ago - a 14 inch screen is still a 14 inch screen. Shaving a couple of mm off the thickness is meaningless unless you hold the laptop one-handed in a pincer grip and are a thalidomide baby.

>SSDs are dirt cheap and HDDs obsolete
So you open up your HDD compartment and replace the HDD with an SDD. Modularity is one of the many joys of computers.

>fanless trend
If you're not a complete cretin and are ok spending half an hour cleaning the fan once a year this is mostly irrelevant.

>less moving parts is better
Fewer. It's also only really useful because it increases the lifespan of components, which flies in the face of your mongoloid suggestion that we all replace all our electronics every 36 months.
>>
>>54059479
>So were you able to blacklist the stolen phone?
I think so, I just gave the number to the police they said that they would block the phone with my carrier.

But how would I steal it back? I dont know where it is
>>
>>54059556
i do
>>
>>54057769
The LG G3 got Kit Kat, Lollipop, and Marshmallow, so I'm not sure what you're talking about anon.
>>
>>54059250
You just got unlucky because the iPad 3 is literally shit, it has a shitty CPU that can't handle the retina display. The iPad 4 is much much better and you would enjoy it.

Just punch your fag wife in the face and hate fuck her for giving you a shitty ipad.
>>
>>54059556
You should have told your carrier directly just in case.

Depends on where he stole the phone off of you: house party, bar district, etc. This situation would really easy if it was done at a house since you could ask others and friends who he was and where he hangs out or lives. Hell by just telling a friend that somebody stole your phone I would do my best to help within reason (I ain't going in a nigger neighborhood though). Beyond that it gets harder to do detective work. If it were the first situation, you could a friend to distract him in some open setting which would hopefully get him to put the phone down. You then walk in and then just pick it up. If anyone catches you doing it, say you were taking back what was stolen. Only do this with proof: make and model, serial, IMEI, original box and receipt.
>>
>>54059544
>A blanket statement like "hurr everyone must throw out their electronics on an arbitrary schedule" is just idiotic.
Yeah, of course but 3 year is usually enough time for decent improvements, whether you need them depends of course, I'd say a lot people could benefit from them. Take the G3, today the camera tech advanced quite a bit since it was released but if you don't care about that, it doesn't matter for you. It's not that I called for LOL THROW AWAY SHIT AFTER 3 YEARS.

>a 14 inch screen is still a 14 inch screen
Not with the fatter bezels back in the day. XPS 13 as the most prominent example. Besides, IPS was a massive step and a lot more common now.

> Shaving a couple of mm off the thickness is meaningless unless you hold the laptop one-handed in a pincer grip and are a thalidomide baby.
It improved the design, just as phone cameras, whether you need it, depends on you.

>So you open up your HDD compartment and replace the HDD with an SDD.
Sure but back in 2011 the capacity was quite limited and the price premium a downside for a lot people. Now even poorfags can afford 256GB SSDs and these improve the experience massively.

>are ok spending half an hour cleaning the fan once a year
Why would I throw away my time like that? (Outside of fun of opening shit) Besides, tons of people can't/won't do it, so overall it's a win - win for everybody. Plus it allows a thinner design and/or bigger battery.

>Fewer.
Ugh, I never learned that one right. Is getting it wrong really that noticeable?

>it increases the lifespan of components, which flies in the face of your mongoloid suggestion that we all replace all our electronics every 36 months
My point was that 3 years is a good amount of time to keep hardware, being able to use it longer without maintenance is just a plus; it's nice for the person who wants to keep their stuff longer, it's nice for the resell value for the people who want to upgrade to something newer.
>>
File: pcmasterrace.jpg (207 KB, 920x900) Image search: [Google]
pcmasterrace.jpg
207 KB, 920x900
>>54057453
good thing the samshit galaxy s4 was discontinued after 3 years while the 4s is STILL getting updates haha kill yourself google shill.
>pic related, you
>>
File: aloha.gif (2 MB, 292x351) Image search: [Google]
aloha.gif
2 MB, 292x351
>>54059835
>It's not that I called for LOL THROW AWAY SHIT AFTER 3 YEARS
The initial claim to which I took umbrage was "there is no reason to use the same phone or laptop for longer than 3 years"

>Not with the fatter bezels back in the day
The 2007 laptop on which I am typing this has a bezel of approximately 1cm which is hardly gargantuan. It's true that LCD technology has come on significantly in the past few years but for me at least the resolution bump falls into the "nice to have" category rather than "must upgrade now". Essentially I'm saying that a 5 or even ten-year old laptop is a perfectly serviceable machine today for most purposes, whereas a 5 or 10 year-old laptop ten years ago was a paperweight. The pace of meaningful technological change has slowed quite a lot, especially now that smartphones have largely plateaued.

>Sure but back in 2011 the capacity was quite limited and the price premium a downside for a lot people
You misunderstand. I'm saying that you can take your 2011 laptop and put a 2016 SSD in it, rather than replace the 2011 laptop with a 2016 laptop.

>Ugh, I never learned that one right. Is getting it wrong really that noticeable?
Yes, but anyone who pulls you up on it is a colossal dickhead. There's no meaningful semantic distinction to be made between "less" and "fewer" in that context; it's just arbitary grammatical convention.

>being able to use it longer without maintenance is just a plus
Again, this is quite the change from "there is no reason to use the same laptop for more than three years". Also if there's thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink presumably that will need reapplying at some point.
>>
>>54058308
Actually... As odd as it sounds. Nexus 4 continues to be very smooth for me even loaded with apps. Yet I've had friends with higher end phones that run terribly after a year or two. Nexus 4 is the best Nexus ever minus shit cameras.
>>
I'm using a 2007 white macbook right now and it works fine.
>>
>>54060376
or so the germans would have us believe
>>
>>54060271
MUH DICK
>>
I have a six year old Macbook Pro still running the latest version of OSX without breaking a sweat. Only problem is the battery is old and needs replacing.
>>
>>54059367
Actually I just set my iPod touch 4g (iOS 6) to have a 6 digit code, just enable complex/long password. You just have to click "OK" once you've entered your password, it doesn't automatically unlock.
>>
>>54059088
>Who the fuck uses a 4 year old computer?
my $800 computer made 6 years ago is still better than most Macs
>>
>>54060271
>The initial claim to which I took umbrage was "there is no reason to use the same phone or laptop for longer than 3 years"
Well, gotta frame it somehow polemical to encourage a conversation. Besides claiming that there was no meaningful advancement in 3-5 years for phones/laptops isn't any better, just because the changes aren't meaningful to you.

> "nice to have" category rather than "must upgrade now"
Both are pretty flimsy terms. What does really constitute a "must have upgrade"? I am sure I could still use my old ass Galaxy S2 and do the almost same things people do on their 800€ flagships, it'd be simply an inferior experience. Unless you do something that requires a lot power, you'd accomplish everything on an even older Atom netbook. The line where a "nice to have" turns into "must have" depends on the user. Personally I wouldn't want to use a laptop over 1,4kg without a high resolution screen but could just as easy adapt to an Atom toaster with 1024*600 if I had to.

Of course it's hard to argue that really massive change slowed down but I'd say it hit the desktop market the hardest while laptops slowly but steady advanced. Hard to tell with phones, where the software makes the biggest difference for most things now.

>a 5 or even ten-year old laptop is a perfectly serviceable machine today for most purposes
For most tasks and specially performance wise, yes. Portability (size/weight/battery life) would be quite limited unless you bought certain models though.

>Also if there's thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink presumably that will need reapplying at some point.
I bet the hinges or even some buttons on the keyboard will kick the bucket before that happens though.
>>
>>54060271
wats her naem
>>
>>54057453

So what I upgrade my computer every 5.
>>
>>54058089

>android users
>claim to be privacy conscious
>use a mobile OS developed by and advertising company
>flash devices with software randomly found on the internet
>>
>>54057736
>electronics
>landfills

>>54057768
What a coincidence.
>>
Why wouldn't I upgrade my phone every year? Two year Upgrade discount prices for phones don't exist anymore so I have to shell out $700 for a new phone. Or I can pay $20 a month and upgrade to a new iphone every year.
>>
>>54059249
You can't change an email password without knowing the current one. Stop lying, nigger
>>
>>54063315
He could have been dumb and wrote them down in the notes app in iOS. Or accessed the iCloud keychain using the lock screen password that he used to even get into the phone.

Stop being stupid cuck.
>>
This probably is more of a "what is the median time users are waiting before replacing their devices" which is an actual useful figure for determining the proportions of devices Apple can expect to be processing through this program at any given point in the future. Obviously /g/ will interpret it as "Apple designs devices to shit the bed after X time", because /g/ gonna /g/.
>>
>>54057453
I got cucked and bought a 16gb 5S - it's nowhere near enough space for me these days but I'm struggling to find a decent deal on a 64GB 6S - hoping to secure one when the 7 comes out
>>
>>54058392

Actually this is your average Apple user >>54058470

Apple is for morons that are afraid of technology so they buy something safe that requires no skill or brain to use.
>>
File: ezgif-1555690889.gif (2 MB, 377x240) Image search: [Google]
ezgif-1555690889.gif
2 MB, 377x240
>>54059159
>>
>>54064531
>buying a device to use it is being afraid of technology
I know it's hard to relate to normal people as a NEET and all but trust me on this one, once you got responsibilities in life, you don't want to waste your time looking for the newest Indian ROM and flashing your phone.
>>
>>54057453
Apple Computers are expensive, but they are still consumer Grade. Even if the Marketing tries to tell you it is professionell.

A decent Business Notebook, Workstation or self build will last you a lot longer, and is easier to repair.

My T60 still runs like a charm
>>
>>54065798
If they are consumer grade, what are all the trashy 16:9 laptops? Homeless grade?
>>
>>54065798
Literally everyone is a consumer
>>
Fucking Apple. They made their computers non-servicable deliberately (like Compaq did back in the 1990s) when Apple's competitors don't.

I expect my home built PC (2013 w/ Haswell) to last more than 4 years. Even if I had a PC from 2011 with a Sandy Bridge CPU, I probably won't replace it.
>>
Duh?

Every day I realise more and more how my fellow man just doesn't fucking understand reality.
>>
>>54065996
yes you will
>>
>>54057481
I'm pretty sure support was dropped back at 8
>>
>>54065758
>I stopped having hobbies once I got a job.
I feel so sorry for the miserable existence you must be leading.
>>
>>54067050
>Wasting your time with flashing your fucking phone when you have actual responsibilities is a hobby
Ok kid
>>
>>54057453
dont you know anything? why would you want to rely on a device with no warranty? are you poor?
>>
>>54065798
>Apple Computers are expensive

with Apple you get what you pay for, a premium hardware experience with top of the line software that just works together.
>>
>>54062592
Are you alluding to the precious metals in the phones that were ripped from the ground that now occupy landfills? I'd say that's irony.
>>
I've got the late 2011 MacBook Pro 13" its only now starting to slow down. Still running mavericks.
>>
>>54057453
Been using my MBP for 5 years.
>>
>>54069839
hahahaha get gassed kike
>>
>>54070330
you're just buttblasted that you can't afford the best modern computing has to offer
>>
>>54070500
hahaha I have an old blackbook and you are still a kike
>>
>>54070516
>modern computing
>old blackbook

and pardon me, madam, but i'm not part of the Jewish race
>>
Apple plans for its phones to be replaced after about 3 years.

Android doesn't plan for it, but the same effect emerges (in some cases in 2 years). I bought a Samsung Galaxy S 4 Google Edition back in 2013. It's been less than 3 years and Google isn't even releasing Marshmallow for it. By the "official" criteria, Google has decided to kill support for its own device about 2.5 years into its life.

So what's the bitching in this thread about? Is it just brand zealots being insufferable faggots about their preference of smartphone?

They're just things, people. They're things made by corporations that just want to make money. At no point in the supply chain is anyone 1/10th as invested in you as you are in them.
>>
>>54070767
>I bought a Samsung Galaxy S 4

my condolences..

buy an iPhone next time.
>>
>>54071209
The SGS 4 was for development on Android (hence the Google Edition version - I naively thought that Google would stick by that line, seeing as they kind of said they would and everything). I have an iPhone for day to day use.

I've stopped working on Android specifically. When I do mobile projects for my research I use Ionic/ngCordova, but I don't make more than a cursory effort to ensure the Android side works. Basically it's because of shit like this. I'd have to go hunt down dozens of different kinds of Android smartphones to get good coverage and know whether low-end/mid-range/custom/Chinese devices work properly. It's a disaster for users and developers alike.
>>
Nice job falling for The Guardian meme. They said the _first owner_ will likely keep it for three years, referring to the strong used market for Apple products.

It's not like your Android phone is going to supported for more than 18 months anyways.
>>
>>54071347
>used market for Apple products

enjoy ur activation lock
>>
>>54070767
It's people bitching because they actually trust a shit site like The Guardian instead of evaluationg the source material themselves.

As far as I can tell they simply mean that's how long people choose to keep using their iPhones and it's not saying anything more.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.