[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where did you learn to build your own rig /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 4
Where did you learn to build your own rig /g/?
>>
I don't know. I always liked to disassemble and then assemble back things, that naturally included computers too.
>>
/g/
>>
>>54045759
weren't you afraid to break valuable shit? I took apart my DS lite once to put a gold zelda case on it and broke it.
>>
>>54045786
Not really, I just made sure to put it back properly.
>>
>>54045744
Slowly accumulated knowledge.

At first, I was just taking my hand-me-down computer and scrapping parts from dead computers to get the thing running better. Ram, graphics cards, ect.

Finally got to building one with the help of a friend of my moms, who works in IT.
>>
My dad helped me build my first couple of computers, and I paid attention and learned. Anything else I picked up by using google. It's really not hard at all; it's basically lego. Not like you have to deal with IRQ conflicts or setting master/slave jumpers.
>>
In high school, in the informatics class. Shit was awesome.
>>
School.
>>
Suddenly have money - try to figure out best hardware for money .. get it - realize hardware is expensive and I have to research how to properly assemble it - be extra careful read every manual, forum page etc.

Assemble it - it's all good.. learned how to build my own rig.

It's not like you're magically supposed to know how to do it.
>>
The interbuts.

Its not hard. What's hard is when it doesn't turn on the first time you boot it.
>>
>>54045744
I love to disassemble/assemble devices. Maybe cause I played too much lego during my childhood.
>>
>>54045759
This.

Also my dad bought me a build it yourself 'set' when I was about 15
>>
Please dont judge me I had no clue about computers when this happened. I watched linus tech tips and pcmr. please dont kill me /g/
>>
Newegg's youtube channel has videos on how to build a computer, they're not bad for someone like me who rarely had access to a computer.
>>
>>54046351
This.
>>
>>54046703
Get raped and kill yourself, you pathetic piece of shit with the down syndrome.
>>
Built hundreds of computers while working in a downtown computer store. Got smart and moved to Apple devices.
>>
>>54045744
Spent a month researching what I should buy.
Once I got everything I watched a video of someone building a computer with a case similare to the one I have. Had to build it twice because the first time I got somthing wrong and the computer wouldn't start (don't know what I did wrong though).
>>
>>54047715
this was about a year+ ago, I asked a friend what I should do to build a pc he reccomended pcmr and linus tech tips I had no clue and followed his lead. I was honestly clueless
>>
>>54047993
Kill your parents for not having you aborted and then kill yourself for being a fucking loser.
>>
The motherboard manual.
>>
ram goes in ram socket.......
hdd goes in ............ hdd........ bracket

cpu ( here's a hard one ) goes in the CPU SOCKET

wow so hard
>>
My dad taught me.
>>
>>54048348
Don't forget to align the arrow of the socket with the CPU!!! That's really hard to do.
>>
>>54048348
what about my razer gaming food?
>>
Properly ?Carey Holzman's videos on YT.

before that I had the general idea but the little peculiarities I knew I didn't even knew existed like cable managment and stuff I had to watch someone do it start to end so Carey's were the ones that showed up first time I googled.

also the guy's fucking badass about throwing the bullshit neckbears exaggerate about so i kinda like him for that.

>oh no don't put your mobo on the bag it came in the outside isn't anti static.
he's the only one i found that dispels things like that.
>>
I built my first PC in 1999 or so, whenever it was that the Pentium III was new-ish.

I bought a book that, as I recall, was literally called "How to Build Your First PC."

It was easier back in those days though, drivers and shit were more work but pretty much any piece of hardware worked with any other piece, not like now where you have to synergize the whole build to get decent results. I just look shit up on Logical Increments whenever I do a new build now.
>>
When I was younger I would want to dust out my old clientpro runescape machine, so I learned how to take out all the components on the fly. Wasn't complicated even for 10 year old me, everything fit in specific locations and wires only fit one connector. Over time I learned what each slot was called, and slowly bought new components making sure they were all compatible, I learned about drivers, how to install Windows xp, etc.
By age 13 I had replaced every component in that old machine.
>>
>>54045744 (OP)

Back when PIII 500MHz was king, I learned from geek roommate. He also helped with dual 1 Ghz (Abit VP6). Lasted for many years. Then in 2008 got a Mac Pro.

Just built Skylake PC for Xmas. Dear god is it so much easier than the old days. A few YouTube videos and a Fractal Design case and done. It wasn't all that difficult back in the day, but now it's ridiculously easy.
>>
File: 1460013141124.jpg (33 KB, 450x327) Image search: [Google]
1460013141124.jpg
33 KB, 450x327
>>54045744
Took my first 486 apart when I was 7, learned everything from my brother back then, he had a Amiga, but he was in the army and I had to assemble the 486 back myself and it worked.

But I had even earlier memories helping my brother with tech stuff or my father who was a car mechanic.

That was also about the age I started building things out of scrap like motion controlled lights etc...

Its all reated.
>>
>>54047993
Dat low quality bait, hmm~
>>
>>54045744
My Father taught me, he built all of my PCd as a kid, so I watched him since I was 2 or something.
>>
The first computer I built was an 80286 around 1988 - 1989, when I was 15/16.

I had an 8088 based computer but it had a hardware failure. I got some bits (the 80286) from a swap meet to figure out how the hardware all went together to see if I could fix the 8088.
>>
I read guides on the internet and then I carefully constructed it while reading the motherboard manual.
>>
>>54045744
I'm not retarded. It's literally playing more expensive Lego.
>>
Unironically the internet
It was so long ago, that watching a single video would take all day and use up all my data, so I actually just read an article, that had photos
>>
>>54049229
Also my dad taught me the basic shit like adding new PCI cards, RAM, changing/adding HDDs or CD drives

One of the biggest purchases my family did when I was a kid was buying a CD writer. When my dad bought it home, he was putting it in, while I watched, so we had literally two CD drives, one which was just a reader, and one which could also (re)write.

We made a copy of every disc we had in the house (including Windows NT copies, Office copies etc), then made a shitload of new disks with documents and photos in it

Also when I got my very own personal computer (my dad's old one), it was like 4 years behind the market, so when I would find shit like an extra 24gb hdd from a scrapyard, it would be a major upgrade for me
>>
>>54045744
Motherboard instruction book. My 386SX needed more RAM so I doubled it from 4MB to 8MB. Also bought a 2MB CirrusLogic GFX and (much later) a SoundBlaster. Learned how to deal with obscure jumper problems mainly through RTFM because there was no internet at that time. Well MSDOS was easy to learn and master because everything was in two config files.
>>
>>54048914
I hate to say but its not even bait this is the truth
>>
I learned by upgrading my dad's machines, then my own machines, then finally my younger brother just built one of his own and taught me how as well.

I was much more into just writing and gaming on them, and then he opened pandora's box for me and I've since then far surpassed even him in my knowledge.
>>
thumbnail looks like someone is holding a dick in front of le troubled anime teenager
>>
>>54045744
By browsing around online, and looking up guides and benchmarks.

I was nervous about fucking up the first time since it was worth a fair amount of money. So I took my time and followed the instructions in the manuals step by step and watching a few youtube videos of people assembling similar parts to make sure.

Even then I forgot to plug the 8 pin ATX connector, thought I damaged my mobo. They have a lot of safety measures in there so it is fairly difficult to fuck up these days if you handle the parts with care.

Once you do it once it becomes fairly straight forward, I still read the manuals before assembling though just in case so I don't miss something important.
>>
>>54045744
I've done it several times, sometimes for other people.

I always learn something new. Mainly from mistakes: stuff like DO NOT FLASH THE BIOS UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO and ELECTROSTATIC IS A THING, DON'T IGNORE IT
>>
>>54050253
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
>>
>>54045744
Trial and Error, Inc.
>>
>>54045744
CareyHolzman
>>
the internet i think

>>54048348
this also
>>
I got the courage to do it from /g/.

However I watched some random youtube video to get more inside help, probably by some indian guy.
>>
The instruction sheet for my mobo
>>
I just read the manual and used some common sense
>>
First time building was a bitch. Had to sand some clips down to fit and I had to drill holes in the case to fit other things but it was a good experience. Learned how to by simple advice.
>>
>>54045744
After the parts came I just put them together however they seemed to fit

Never even had to look at a picture or a diagram, all these idiots that say its complicated or hard are flipping idiots
>>
My friend when we were like 12, trying to get computers good enough to run sven coop, 1.6 and Ragnarok online also serial experiments lain
>>
>>54053163

we also took the a+ and ccna program out our highschool and as such, cut our teeth on their shitty old hardware (I put a ram stick in backwards one time and nuked a motherboard)

Good times really, wish I payed more attention instead of torrenting anime or having gldsrc lans or other dumb bullshit
>>
>>54045759
this is how it worked for me as well, i think

I was always destroying electronics when i was four-five years old - just to see what's inside, hoping i'll understand. I guess it worked. I'm soldering my own shit now, i'm capable of understanding and building radio, amp or uC things. Now when i think about it, i should probably treasure my curiosity, it's very good trait to have.

>>54046332
damn
meanwhile, my education route
>IT-profiled middle school
>IT college, third year now
>still haven't seen anything about hardware except couple of switches/routers to connect and configure on network classes
it's amazing when i think about it, i was choosing IT-oriented ways of education as soon as i was able to choose anything and yet i've never seen opened computer in school. seriously, never.
>>
>>54045744
I once bought a new graphics card for my birthday, my dad said it'll be a week before he could find someone to install it for me so I just used google and did it myself, I eventually replaced every component.

+ Most of my friends are huge computer fags. The person I sit next to in my programming class runs a semi popular YouTube channel dedicated to computer tutorials.
>>
File: intbox.jpg (158 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
intbox.jpg
158 KB, 1000x1000
Uh, common sense?
>>
>>54046351
this.

got a bonus at work. decided i wanted a good computer. determined that the only to get it was to do it my fucking self. never knew anything about computers before. spend six months on google. bought it. built it. fucked it up. built it better. then rebuilt it better. then rebuilt it better.

it would have been a lot easier if i hadnt done a dual gpu + cpu custom water loop on my first build.
>>
>>54056574
this

first machines i pulled apart and put together were old (even at the time) 368/486 machines
things only fit in one place, so it's hard to mess it up
with those machines you also had things like jumper-based cpu speed settings, jumper-based IRQ settings, and memory size matching to worry about which you don't need to anymore
>>
>>54045744
Here :)
Also the based Newegg building guide on YouTube
>>
I pulled some old servers out of the garage and combined the best parts for my first desktop
>>
I've been building rigs since I was old enough to walk. My family owns a pc repair shop so I was able to get into it early.
>>
exbf built it for me
>>
NODE's yt video from when they all got their "old" pc's. I must have watched it a million times.
>>
File: 20160405_200224~01.jpg (2 MB, 2966x5159) Image search: [Google]
20160405_200224~01.jpg
2 MB, 2966x5159
Learned it through buying a prebuilt and slowly swapping parts until eventually I got a new case and then a motherboard and learned how to isntall that into the new case, then using the knowledge i had from replacing everything else and just moved those into the new case. Pic related, my new rig that taught me how to build.
>>
I looked at the inside of a functioning computer to understand
A) what parts are needed to make it work
B) what the parts need for connectors

Apparently, computers have been using the same analogues/parts for a long while. Buying the pieces needed some trial and error to understand the different in standards at the time, but it's very LEGO, and LEGO was my life.
>>
Curiosity and necessity. Me and a bro used to play world of Warcraft quite a bit. I was playing on a Gateway desktop with a Pentium 4 using integrated graphics. Was lucky to get 15 fps in a non populated area on the lowest settings at 800x600.

Bro managed to get his hands on an HP pre-built with an Athlon x4 quad core in it for $200. We put the new power supply and radeon 5750 in there. The difference was huge. 45 fps on ultra in a 1680x1050 monitor. Up until this point, I had never really thought that PCs could be worked on and opened like a car.

Showed up at his place 3 weeks later after hoarding money from my minimum wage high school job with $600 worth of parts in my car. The rest is history.
>>
internet
it is literally putting lego pieces together
>>
Literally took the parts out of the box and put them in the right place.

I suppose you could say I learned how from Lego.
>>
Taught myself starting with graphics card replacement about 15 years ago. Turned into building my first computer at 15 and it has been custom rigs ever since. Even built them professionally for a little while at a shop. Someone else also equated them to being lego and this is how I have always viewed it, except way more functional.
>>
>>54045744
I purchased parts and built a computer.... It's not that fucking hard
>>
Upgrading individual parts until I eventually understood the individual components and their function.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.