[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
would you buy an Apple car, /g/? also: if so, are you a current
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
File: 1433984284572.jpg (217 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1433984284572.jpg
217 KB, 960x720
would you buy an Apple car, /g/?

also: if so, are you a current Applefag?
>>
Yes. And no.
>>
File: absolutely stallman.png (283 KB, 480x451) Image search: [Google]
absolutely stallman.png
283 KB, 480x451
why would i buy something don't let me go anywhere i choose but only where they want?
>>
>>54043328
>why would i buy something don't let me go anywhere i choose but only where they want?
Then you certainly wouldn't want a Windows car. "Where would you like to go today?" BSOD!
Linux car? Here's a kit, assemble it yourself.
>>
>>54043113
As an Applefag, no
>>
>one pedal
NO.
>>
I had to get into OS X due to work, now I'm ok with it. It's not so much OS X that I like but the tools like iterm2 and spectacle, plus it just works and the hardware is great.

A car though, I wouldn't do it, and I would harshly judge anyone that would over pay so much for a car. I guess I don't value cars much anymore beyond just being a tool. I'm old.
>>
I would buy an apple car, and then install linux on it.
>>
apple would never make a car. that's absurd.
they might make a car computer system or something like that, with entertainment, location, maybe even self driving API, and then they would sell it to car manufacturers like tesla to integrate it in their cars.
apple is focused on consumer electronics. they won't be making actual cars anytime soon.
>>
I live in a city so I don't need any kind of car.

t. iPhone 5S user
>>
>>54043113
no. i'll just buy a mercedes.
>>
Just another one of Tim Cock's failure-bound products.
>>
>>54043408
>apple would never make a car
There's quite a bit of talk about you being wrong
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_electric_car_project
>>
What incentive would I have to buy an apple car over another car? I guess that would be a deciding factor, what would be special about it? If it is just "becuz applel" then no.
>>
>>54043113
I am not a current applefag. Whether I'd consider owning an apple car depends strongly on what it can and can't do.

If it's self-driving, it had better be 100% completely self-driving. I have no use for this "well, it can drive itself on the highway, but you have to be awake and alert and ready to take over for it when it beeps at you or takes an exit". Fuck that. If I have to pay attention, I might as well drive. I want to be able to get falling-down drunk, stumble to my car, and say "Okay car, drive me home now", and wake up in my garage an hour later.

If it's electric, it had better overcome the usual deficiencies of electric cars. I enjoy road trips, so something that needs hours of charging after 200 miles is no good. Fifteen minutes per 300 miles would be fine, though. And batteries, of course, wear out. I don't want my car to be useless in a decade when the batteries are tired and out-of-warranty, and cost $10k to replace.

And I'd want it to respect my privacy. I strongly suspect no future car will do this, but if any do, Apple would probably be the best bet.
>>
>>54043479
>I strongly suspect no future car will do this
No current car does either
>>
No and No
>>
>>54043345
>Linux car? Here's a kit, assemble it yourself.

You say that like its a bad thing.
>>
>>54043371
Yeah. Having only a brake would be annoying. But people who would buy that type of car would be used to going nowhere in life
>>
>>54043642

This. I need absolute control of my car there just is no other way.
>>
>>54043642
As somebody who on many occasions has pulled cars down to a bare chassis and rebuilt them with almost 100% aftermarket components, it could definitely be a bad thing. I sure as hell wouldn't want to share the road with a ton of kit cars assembled by amateurs with just enough knowledge to be incredibly dangerous...
>>
>>54043345
Tesla is based on Ubuntu you cuck.
>>
>>54043793
I've done the same and I think as long as you have to go through an inspection before your kit car is declared road legal it would be fine. I mean people build Ariel Atoms and they turn out just fine.
>>
>>54043719
Kek, that was pretty good
>>
yeah sure, if its self-driving, good reviews, looks nice, and fits my budget at the time

not really an Applefag but i use two of their products
>>
File: Mac_Car.jpg (95 KB, 570x435) Image search: [Google]
Mac_Car.jpg
95 KB, 570x435
>>54043113
they would all need to be impounded for inciting road-rage
>>
File: 1450823100162.jpg (189 KB, 1006x441) Image search: [Google]
1450823100162.jpg
189 KB, 1006x441
>>54043113
>Apple car
>>
>actually allowing the possibility of remote control of the vehicle you are driving
>>
>>54043113
>Apple
>>
>>54044693

Already a thing thanks to modern car networking and electric power steering pumps.
>>
File: Random fox gijinka sketch.jpg (3 MB, 2500x3500) Image search: [Google]
Random fox gijinka sketch.jpg
3 MB, 2500x3500
>>54043113
But americans already drive in Automatic
>>
I never understood apple reasoning to enter the car market, there is probably every car brand for most niche and then some more; how are they going to break in that over saturated market
>>
>>54043642
in real irl life it is bad
as a hobby (usually is) is fun
>>
>>54043793

Same here. I'm amazed at some of the repairs that hold together, especially suspension welding by amatures with a harbor freight 110v flux mig
>>
File: applelmemeplay.png (596 KB, 875x936) Image search: [Google]
applelmemeplay.png
596 KB, 875x936
>applel's joke tier retard engineers can't even get basic usability shit right
>applel maps are complete fucking shit
>expect them to turn out an entire car

toppest of keks
>>
No.
I want a Fiat 124 Abarth or a BRZ.
Alternatively: a DRZ.

Also no, I've never owned anything apple.
>>
>>54043345
>what is android?
>what is ubuntu?
>>
>>54043113
No and former pre 2012

I built my own electric bike with dc motor and nissan leaf batteries and it was cheap, simple, and i can plug in a computer and change my torque and speed curves. I spent $3000 on it. Currently rebuilting the whole bike to make some mods.

Why the fuck am i going to spend $20k on some chinese made proprietarty drone government killswitch numale car? Do you think they apple wants you to have any understanding of how their shiny will work? Of course not! They even got bono on the project, you wanna take them seriously?
>>
>>54045602

DUDEMAN

Can I get a story about this or a link to a writeup?

This is the kind of project I could get behind, though I can't imagine being on a bike without the roar of an engine between my legs.
>>
>>54045602
>20k for an apple car

I guarantee you it would be S class price at a minimum.
>>
>>54045691
>>54045691
Go on google and search electric motorcycle forum or endless sphere
>>
>>54043113
>pay for countach
>receive corolla
>>
>>54043408
You mean carplay?
>>
>>54043113
No, I want a car built by a car company to be a car, not a car built by a phone company to be a trendy consumer accessory.
>>
No, I wouldn't buy any American car.
>>
>>54046834
>apple
>american
>>
>>54046853
>i went full retard
>>
>>54043113
>implying new cars aren't shit
>>
" With a topspeed of 35 MP/H driving has never been safer."
>>
File: cheerleader.png (207 KB, 305x593) Image search: [Google]
cheerleader.png
207 KB, 305x593
Apple can't get people to buy a watch, what makes you think they could sell a car?
>>
No.
I don't want to pay $500k for a car that cost $20k to make.
>>
>>54043719
kekd
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.