[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think of Linux Mint? Im new to linux and using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 2
What does /g/ think of Linux Mint?

Im new to linux and using it right now and it seems pretty good
>>
Pretty user friendly for the most part, but shit everywhere else
>>
>>54042427
What distro would you recommend anon?
>>
>>54042504
Ubuntu
>>
Mint is a good beginner distro. Just download it via torrent, don't download it from the website. Eventually you'll end up on Debian like the rest of us.
>>
Install gentoo
>>
>>54042520
Whats better about it?
>>
Pretty good
I prefer semi-rolling release distros like fedora.

that feel when installing updates is just too great.
>>
>>54042548
I got my install from the website
am i fucked now?
>>
>>54042575
yes
>>
>>54042586
Off to kill myself then, thanks /g/ nice knowing you
>>
>>54042520
>mint is complete shit
>but Ubuntu is good

Confirmed for never having used either
>>
it's a just works distro. I' go with ubuntu though. cinnamon is nice. but you can install that on other distro's now.
>>
>>54042557
simpler, less bloatware, not so heavy as mint, but as beginner you should stick with mint for some time

lean to use linux terminal, that's number one thing when start using linux
>>
>>54042575
Yes.

Wipe it off and install Debian and stop being a faggot.
>>
>>54042625
Thanks for the info anon

>>54042635
k
>>
>>54042575
Just check the fucking hash.
>>
>could never get linux mint working in virtualbox
>>
>>54042646
i wouldn't suggest you to go with debian, don't do it
>>
>>54042575
NO YOU'RE GODDAMNED NOT.

THE WEBSITE WAS COMPROMISED FOR A FUCKING DAY IN FEBRUARY.

THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT'S UNSAFE NOW

CHRIST THESE FUCKING MEMES I SWEAR TO GOD

that said, stay on Mint m8. Like someone above said you'll probably end up moving to Debian once you're comfortable with Linux.
>>
>>54042665
Turn on hyperv in your BIOS or upgrade your RAM
>>
>>54042102
Try to head over to >>54038481
so you can ask questions with a better chance of not getting memed on.
>>
>>54042673
noted, i just wanted to make the angry dude a little happier

>>54042678
i kinda figured, everything i read on this website is taken with a grain of salt anyhow
>>
>>54042678
Debian and Mint. What a wonderful recommendation if you love outdated packages.
>>
it wouldnt run on my E5400 at 1600x900 resolution well but on better hardware i'm sure its not too bad. i prefer an ubuntu flavor though/
>>
>>54042711
there are the chance that you will eventually end with debian, but for exapmle I'm linux user for 4-5 years, and I'm on Ubuntu for 2-3, and I started with Slackware, that was nightmare, but I learned what is linux indeed, and I'm still fond of slasky, but sometimes it's easier to do something on easier way
>>
Hey OP, I've recently been really tempted to try out Linux mint too. I'm thinking of dual booting it with windows 10 just incase I need some software on that end. I saw a top 2016 distros article recently. Linux mint got voted best desktop distro. Ubuntu mate got best laptop distro. Obviously this artcile was catered towards average/low power users rather than the average /g/ user, but still a pretty interesting look at some of the distros available.
>>
It's shit.

https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/
>>
>>54042788
Hey anon, obviously im new to linux in general but as the uh, nice, people on /g/ have shown me it seems like it is the way to go honestly. Im currently dual booting with windows 10 as well and its pretty good for how im using my computer now.
>>
>>54042865
To clarify its good because i can still play games with my buddies but also have the option to switch to something a little less... spyware-y
>>
>>54042865
Mint is good for someone who is switching from windows, GUI is similar to windows, unlike ubuntu (i mean default unity de), don't know how mate de looks like
>>
>>54042915
How would you say it stacks up speedwise to windows 10?
>>
>>54042915
This is true

>>54042944
what type of speed do you mean?
>>
>>54042865
Did you just partition your hard-drive manually or is there an option when you install mint just to install it alongside windows 10?
>>
Don't see the point when you can just use Ubuntu or Debian.
>>
>>54042957
Things like boot-up time, general sort of day to day tasks. Windows can feel a little bloaty at times to me.
>>
>>54042944
I own a bit old piece of hardware, so I don't dare to run Mint, it wouldn't be fast as I need it to be.

I didn't used win10, last was win8, so I can't make correlation
>>
>>54042991
What makes Ubuntu better than Mint?
>>
>>54043009
newer packages
>>
>>54042999
Ah sorry, thought you were OP. What OS do you run out of interest? Debian?
>>
>>54043017
Lol I'm such a beginner when it comes to this shit. What do new packages entail?
>>
If it boots, it's already better than most distros. If it doesn't crash it's a really good distro. Answered all your Linux based questions. You're welcome.
>>
>>54042706
thanks
>>
>>54043041
software updates
>>
>>54042838
>it's shit because the website was hacked
oh ok
>>
>>54042982
I partitioned before installing

>>54042996
id same its close to the same, not as much microsoft bloatshit though
>>
>>54043030
For daily use, only Ubuntu. For playing with linux and unix, Slackware
>>
>>54043061
>I didn't actually read the article
>>
>>54043047
This has been my experience also. Fedora was a jackpot for me. Cinnamon for maximum comfy, new packages, sane, courteous, professional developers.
>>
What's a nice lightweight distro?
Is elementaryOS a good option?
>>
>>54043061
the ISO was backdoored and the checksums on the site were changed
>>
>>54043186
yes, but if you have a really old hardware then no, you should try some distros made for that purpose only
>>
>>54043129
>>54043198
>I didn't check where the link redirected to
k
>>
>>54043186
Ubuntu minimal (netinstall) + a light DE. I recommend friendly ones like MATE or XFCE.
>>
>>54042601
enjoy your backdoors
>>
>>54042102

I had an issue with internet connectivity on Mint. Wired or wireless, it just kept resetting constantly, and I never could find an answer for why. I liked it other than that, but I ended up going with Manjaro instead. I did like the out-of-the-box look of Manjaro Xfce over Mint Xfce slightly too.

I use Arch and OpenBSD today. I prefer Pacman to Apt so that's another reason I'd pick Manjaro over Mint still. I've also started using Fluxbox over Xfce too, but I'd still recommend Xfce for beginners, especially if you're using Mint or Manjaro.

I initially planned on moving to Arch once I got some Linux experience. Arch was the distro that seemed most appealing to me from the start. Since Manjaro is based on it, I thought of it as like Arch with training wheels. It really isn't. It's a hand-holding OS,and that's why it's considered one for beginners. There's nothing wrong with that either, if it's what you want, but if you are interested in learning Linux more in depth, none of these so-called beginner distros will prepare you for a more advanced one like Arch. You need to force yourself to get a feel for using a terminal, or BASH scripting. These kinds of OSes at best will make doing things like that seemingly irrelevant and pointless.

If I had it to do over, I would have just dived straight into Arch, or at least tried. It does take more work and a lot more reading to install, and learn your way around, but it's not nearly as bad as people tend to make it sound. A complete beginner could feasibly do it, so long as they know what they are getting into and don't mind that. They would definitely learn a bit from the experience.

Arch users are often stereotypical neckbeards, and Arch is their greatest achievement in life. That's why it has the reputation it has. They want to scare newbies off, because they imagine themselves to be elite geniuses for figuring it out, but they are just full of shit for the most part.
>>
File: puffy.gif (121 KB, 500x453) Image search: [Google]
puffy.gif
121 KB, 500x453
>>54043807
You're a real brand evangelist, but I don't see why you had to bring Puffy into it
>>
only takes 70mb of ram with windowmaker when idle

ubuntu takes 200-ish

i like it, i dislike its session login screen however
>>
>>54042427
>Pretty user friendly for the most part
I don't understand it when people say this.
IT'S JUST UBUNTU, BUT WITH CINNAMON
WHAT'S SO "FRIENDLY" ABOUT IT
>>
>>54043977
I use Arch with openbox, but i can relate as I deal with people that never have used gnu/linux in their lifes, the fact that you don't have to install it and select it in lightDM is a big thing for them (they don't even know what that's all about), more so for a new user, they don't know shit about it. Stop being a prick
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.