[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ubuntu won AUR and Copr just got BTFO! http://www.omgubunt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
File: apps-wall-1.png (150 KB, 432x302) Image search: [Google]
apps-wall-1.png
150 KB, 432x302
Ubuntu won

AUR and Copr just got BTFO!

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/04/ubuntu-16-04-lts-snap-packages
>>
My Linux transition is nearly complete.
This is welcomed news, assuming it actually works and is widely adopted.
>>
Sounds like a slightly more intelligent form of the .app self-contained application bundles that OS X has been using since 2001 (and before in the form of NeXTSTEP).

It really does work well for end users. A bit more space intensive but it eliminates dependency issues entirely.
>>
File: aurtism.jpg (92 KB, 640x563) Image search: [Google]
aurtism.jpg
92 KB, 640x563
Archfags on suicide watch
>>
This is why Ubuntu keep winning. Solid innovation while everyone else nags about their backward thinking Windows XP clone desktop environments
>>
ARCHFAGS BTFO
>>
This sorta thing has always made sense to me

The only question really is, how much extra space does this use up on the storage medium?
>>
>>54038565
Space was never really the problem, it's security updates for bundled libraries, especially crypto. Prepare to see adobe-level vulnerabilities come to GNU/Linux regularly now.
>>
ffs they are really going to do this shit ? Why the fuck ? Why they don't make a rolling release distribution without version so people will have the latest version ?
That's gonna be hell like >>54038599 said
>>
Yep I'm switching from Arch to Ubuntu now!
>>
>>54038677
>rolling release
lyl
>>
>>54038677
Because rolling releases aren't friendly to non-technical users at all - shit WILL break from time to time in rolling releases, and Ubuntu's targeted demographic isn't capable of dealing with that.
>>
File: 1460040450244.jpg (44 KB, 600x402) Image search: [Google]
1460040450244.jpg
44 KB, 600x402
>>54038677

>muh rolling release meme

FUCKOFF YOU IGNORANT FUCK!!!

YOU CAN ALREADY SET UBUNTU UP AS A ROLLING RELEASE IF YOU SO CHOOSE.

YOU ARE TOO DUMB TO USE UBUNTU PROPERTY SO YOU JUMP TO ANOTHER SHIT DISTRO THAT GETS SHILLED TO THE MOON AND BACK BY IDIOTS.
>>
fuck me, ubuntu creates their own thing to be not compatible with the rest of linuxes.

fucking snaps, when xdg exist; mir when there is wayland

>Snap packages can (though don’t have to) contain both application binary and any dependencies required for it to run. Yup, even if those libraries are already installed on the host system.
bloat, bloat, bloat

It nice to make some things the windows way, but in this case it's a horrible idea
>>
>>54038677

Here's a guide for you Noob

>How to transform your Ubuntu installation into a rolling release

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ubuntu-rolling-release/
>>
>essentially statically linking all the shitty libraries
enjoy your 100MB binaries
what th
>>
>>54038846
>to be not compatible with the rest of linuxes.

And the Arch user idiot brigade has arrived.

If another distro wants to use it, they can use it. This is how 100% free software works.
>>
Great, making things a little bit easier for users (who apparently don't want to leave dependencies up to the package manager) and repo maintainers makes things that much worse for developers.
>>
>>54038888
I feel like this is such a Linux problem. On OS X programs come bundled with necessary libraries too, but with a few exceptions typically only 1-3 libraries are bundled with the heaviest weighing 5MB. Only on Linux is it commonplace for packages to have more dependencies than there are stars in the milky way.
>>
>>54038895
>If another distro wants to use it, they can use it.
Sure, that's a true statement, but why would any distro go with mir, a component produced by a somewhat shady company that in some areas behave just like microsoft? Also - knowing canonical, the licensing is not quite "rite". Effectively what happens is that they create software that locks down user and forces to use said software
>>
>>54038895
>If another distro wants to use it, they can use it. This is how 100% free software works.
but nobody will because it's shit.
It's the same for mir. Nobody will use it.
Actually, it's the same for all the stuff canonical have made.
>>
>>54038978
>Only on Linux is it commonplace for packages to have more dependencies than there are stars in the milky way.
Fucking this.
>>
>>54039031
Let's not underestimate the influence that the redhat/fedora crowd has on what propagates through the various distributions. They'd all be shitting bricks if a Canonical somethingoranother became the de-facto standard instead of whatever shit they're currently pushing.
>>
>>54039072
Yes, but canonical is wasting ressources on re-inventing the wheel, doing things that already exist, and finally their products aren't that good.
Red hat actually do stuff that are actually useful and better than what already exist.
>>
>doesn't matter unless people start using it
there are plenty of "better solutions" to almost anything, but they vanish like a fart in the wind because they fail to attract people
>>
>>54039101
The GNU/FOSS community in general has rampant wheel reinvention even if you exclude canonical. It's the norm. Canonical just happens to be a lot more visible than most of the wheel reinventors.

>Red hat actually do stuff that are actually useful and better than what already exist.
Debatable.
>>
>>54037318
Holy shit
This is awesome
Microsoft is dead
Apple should be very afraid
>>
>>54038281
Probably not.

Devs will continue to offer .exe files for Windows users but force their Linux users to compile from source.
>>
File: ubuntu comfy.jpg (320 KB, 1000x518) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu comfy.jpg
320 KB, 1000x518
>>54039024

I'm convinced you must work for the US government the way you're trying to spread disinfo about Ubuntu and Canonical.

Canonical does anything

>Oh they're shady

Canonical releases a great tool under GPL V3, not even GPL V2

> the licensing is not quite "rite"

Just kill yourself

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snappy_%28package_manager%29

https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/start/

https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/start/gadget-snaps/
>>
>>54039141
>Debatable.
that's debatable, but they try to bring solutions on things we need to improve.
On the other hand, canonical is just doing shit when good solution exists.
>>
>>54037318
Oh good news - I'm switching to Ubuntu after it gets released - currently using Arch.
>>
>>54037318

lol @ linux JUST DISCOVERING the exe and program folder (i.e. the concept of bundling applications so they don't radically depreciate your entire OS every five minutes). Holy mackerel. This should have been the very first thing canonical offered the world. Meanwhile, Windows has a healthy ecosystem of old compatible games and other apps that's well over 20 years old. To my mind, this enormous limitation has always been the #1 obstacle when it comes to linux proliferation. Nobody is going to pursue an alternative OS that cannot match the most basic necessary features of the mainstream.
How can a regular user have any faith their entire application set will survive an upgrade required for just one new app? It's absurd. It's illogical. It's stupid. And it's somehow been the linux norm for no reason for so long. You don't make every app dependent on the whole. That's fundamentally unstable. Backups? Forget about it. You can't even easily save your software for offline installs. Imagine this: if I want to refresh my Windows install and keep my software for reinstall offline, I simply save my folder of installers or program folders to a disc or external drive before restoring the OS. On linux, I literally have to respin my entire operating system to include the software I have currently installed, and then there's no way to guarantee a safe upgrade later, as I said. This makes the user totally dependent on the continued development of dozens of their preferred apps and their continued availability in the distro's online app store. Every time and forever. Distro app packaging has hitherto been proof that complexity means primitiveness, not sophistication. The whole scheme smacks of dev-centric notions of efficient data storage instead of recognizing that user-centric data management and efficiency means quite the opposite. Desktop linux is a complete mess.

Too little, too late. The only reasonable response to this news is, "Pfft lulz".
>>
>>54039185
if you imply that I do Lennart Poettering cock all day long wearing my red hat then that's a no, although I use gnome
>>
>>54039357
you forgot to add how much you "literally don't care" after typing your wall of text friend
>>
>>54038895
> free software
> ubuntu
kek
>>
>>54039357
Yes it does alongside botnet.
Linux is catching up and advancing faster - more and more people are taking interest into it because of Microsoft mistakes.

it's not like you compared a godlike os with another godlike os - you compared an amateur os with a professionally done one.. but the amateur one while staying honest to its philosophy of open source and freedom - it also gives you complete windows features and advances faster.

Linux is the future, no doubt in that.
>>
>>54039422

t. Google
>>
>>54038978
>I feel like this is such a Linux problem. On OS X programs come bundled with necessary libraries too, but with a few exceptions typically only 1-3 libraries are bundled with the heaviest weighing 5MB
>Only on Linux is it commonplace for packages to have more dependencies than there are stars in the milky way.

Maybe you should ask yourself why this is. Its not because the Linux people are incompetent, its because they care about security.

If you have 4 applications on your system that access the internet (say cloud storage app, music app, video app, browser) and they all bundle their own version of the library to access the internet (lets say its called libweb or sth) then that's four copies that need to be updated when there's a security issue with libweb

In the centralized model there's only ONE libweb, all the apps link to it and you only need to update it ONCE.

Whereas with separate apps you need to redownload each application
>>
>>54040018
I'm sure that's part of it, but I think what's more responsible is that Mac devs rely on system-provided frameworks and libraries more than they do on third-party stuff. All that is handled by system updates and falls on Apple and lives outside of the sphere of user-facing applications entirely.
>>
How is this any different than the old self-contained packages that have been around forever?
>>
>>54040018
What if they did it in a way so only the missing/incompatible libraries are loaded from the package, and the rest from the system?
>>
Can I get this if I install Ubuntu today?
>>
>>54040018
Shared libraries also use less ram.
Lets say for instance all of your desktop applications link to a 1MB toolkit (like gtk or something idk).
Instead of having 20 seperate instances of that library floating around ram, it only needs one.
>>
>>54038846
>heir own thing to be not compatible with the rest of linuxes

its because the maintainers and orgs won't do what shuttlefuck wants. for some reason he thinks he knows more than anyone else.
>>
when does this piece of shit come out? its april already
>>
>>54037318
whew, unity 8 looks impressive.
>>
This fixes a problem that never existed.

It only ever effected poorly maintained nonfree software.
>>
Isn't this just gonna be a half arsed GUIX?
>>
>>54037318
Call me when ubuntu can isolate user config files alongside the program to which it belongs, among other things. In the meantime, I'll be chilling @ gentoo, the only good distro.
>>
Does this applies for all *buntus or just Ubuntu? I always used Xubuntu. Shit,when people say Ubuntu I automatically think of Xfce , not Unity.
>>
>>54040216
>>
>>54038565
Probably 20GB at the very least.
>>
>>54040572
All of them unless there is a new severe bug
>>
So, gobolinux except shit?
>inovashun
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.