[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56
File: 1460518002801.webm (1 MB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
1460518002801.webm
1 MB, 640x359
This thread was created to prevent anons from spamming new threads, for technology questions they have.
If you are that person, post your simple/small/stupid questions here

Don't bump. This is a slow board, and will continue to be. Wait for an answer or google it.

If you see other anons posting questions outside this thread, ignore or redirect them here
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
File: Capture67.png (516 KB, 633x731) Image search: [Google]
Capture67.png
516 KB, 633x731
>>54025166
Using the command line scares me. I'm not even trolling. I'm pretty shitty at typing and there's just so many commands to memorize. I'm generally more comfortable with GUIs. Are there tools for Linux noobs to gain better confidence with the command line? Otherwise, I'll stick with my Windows 10 botnet forever.
>>
I did the supposedly "free" upgrade to Windows 10 a few weeks back, but now I have some Indian dude calling me saying my free trial of Windows 10 is over and if I don't give them my credit card number to pay for it I won't be able to use my computer anymore. Is this legitimate? How the fuck does Microsoft get away with this? I never saw anything about any trial or having my computer locked down if I don't pay when I agreed to the upgrade.
>>
>>54025250
You don't need to memorize all the commands... Just look up the ones you need as you need them. Eventually you'll remember the ones you use more often. When you don't remember it's almost always easy to just google it.
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 750x363) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 750x363
Can you guys please do this assignment for me I literally don't even know where to start (has to be in Java)
>>
>>54025250
Install a virtual machine and start monkeying around in it. I'm also trying to learn more of it. Check out a tutorial like this or something http://cli.learncodethehardway.org/book/

There are some unix like commands you can do in the windows powershell but you should probably stick to your virtual box. It's like anything, the more you use it the more comfortable you'll be with it.

>>54025251
That's probably just a straight up scammer. Windows 10 is a free upgrade to keep forever. They want as much market share as possible.
>>
>>54025250
There's guis for almost anything, but tutorials are done with CLI because it's universal and just easier than instructing a series of mouse clicks. You can make aliases for stuff that's used often and less than effortless to remember. codecademy has a nice basic bash course.
>>
Photoshop CC "export as" diolauge box is empty. "Quick export" doesn't work. Anyone know how to solve this issue, or even what it may be?
i have done some digging on google and have not found anything helpful.

>inb4 restart your computer ANON.
>>
File: 1460584607989.jpg (309 KB, 1598x1175) Image search: [Google]
1460584607989.jpg
309 KB, 1598x1175
>>54025383
forgot pic
>>
Is there a reasonable way (not screen recording) to download Hulu's video files?

I've tried cracked copies of GetFLV but I guess the flash player was out of date or something. Used to do it with RTMPDump but it doesn't seem to work anymore.
>>
>>54025412
tried streaming through VLC? then using its built in capture capabilities?
>>
>>54025251
>bait
its a scam. ignore that.
>>
File: 1460159760091.gif (1 MB, 290x260) Image search: [Google]
1460159760091.gif
1 MB, 290x260
How do I set up an RPi as a seedbox?
>>
>>54025474
Install GNU/Linux, connect hard drive, set up rtorrent. Am I missing anything?
>>
>>54025474
install rtorrent
>>
>>54025474
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-an-always-on-downloading-megalith/
>>
>>54025438
Just did. The URL doesn't do anything in VLC.
>>
File: 1460156171410.jpg (84 KB, 602x596) Image search: [Google]
1460156171410.jpg
84 KB, 602x596
How do I crack WPA2?
>>
File: temp.png (10 KB, 542x440) Image search: [Google]
temp.png
10 KB, 542x440
>>54025547
oh, bummer. Considered Torrenting, using a site like www.primewire.ag, or a program like popcorn time or Stremio ( http://www.strem.io/ ) as a simple alternative?
>>
in your subjective opinion, is my font rendering ok? I honestly have no clue and I'd be happy for any pointers.
>>
>>54025697
In meiner meinung sieht es toll aus.
>>
>>54025697
>Nosferatu

*tips fedora*
>>
File: fedoratip.jpg (19 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
fedoratip.jpg
19 KB, 480x480
>>54025717
thanks!
>>54025756
t-thanks anon, y-you too!
>>
If I'm running a 4k TV for a HTPC (light gaming, mostly emulation and movies), is the 4GB GTX 960 a good choice?
>>
Hey, i have a laptop with the resolution of 1920x1080 but when im watching videos on youtube or streams it tells me that my resolution is 2133x1200, is there something wrong or am i just being excessive
>>
>>54025624
I torrent anything I can, hulu has a couple of niche programs that aren't very popular on torrent sites. Normally I wouldn't mind watching the ads to watch the program, but they've got these ads now where they will wait for you to click on them before they go back to the program, which kills my couch experience.

Although, if you know of a torrent site that has a wider selection of Rifftrax than piratebay, I'm interested.
>>
File: aaaaa PROPER SPECS.png (261 KB, 1030x765) Image search: [Google]
aaaaa PROPER SPECS.png
261 KB, 1030x765
>>54025166
Hi! Get excited everyone! I've got a question for you!
How oh how oh how how HOW- does one Triforce!!?

Hehe- got you! Well, my actual question might possibly be just as stupid to a lot of you guys- and, I'd guess that it's something you get asked here on a regular basis and are therefore pretty bored of seeing it and/or answering it.

ANYWAY...

I built my pc quite a flippin' while ago! Eight, maybe closer to TEN years ago! Shit! No! Surely not THAT long ago!? I'll stick at saying that it was close to eight years ago.

I spent quite a bit of cash on it, as it was before I was a full time, fully fledged drunken, drug taking bum.
It's served me really well up until quite recently-
I play a LOT of games on the pc- mostly emulating 8/16/32 bit consoles and playing 'indie' or 'retro' type pc games. (2D ftw!) Other than the F.E.A.R games, the Half-Life 2 games, and the first CRYSIS game- I haven't done much 3D/first person/3rd person stuff- it's 99% stuff like-
Binding of Isaac, Spelunky, Monochroma, The Escapists, Shovel Knight, Constant C... etc.(I just looked at what game shortcuts were on my taskbar!)

Ok, yeah- I have/had been waiting ages for a certain game to be released, (Enter the Gungeon!) and was(AM!) pretty surprised that there's considerable slowdown when there are too many sprites on screen; making me realise that it must be time to update my beautiful old clunker... *snif~ We had some good years together...

SO! Looking at these specs- is there an obvious 'bottleneck' that could maybe be upgraded, or, do I just need to save up and start again from scratch!??

Thanks in advance fellas!
(Sorry about the rambling on and on. I can't help it.)
>>
>>54025824
Just about anything modern will work for an HTPC + emulation. I might recommend an AMD though, especially if your TV has a good selection of refresh rates including "23 hz", as nvidia's 23hz mode is 23.978 instead of 23.976. I have no fucking idea why either.

What OS/software are you going to be running on the HTPC?
>>
>>54025880
Is this a meme?
>>
>>54025845
KAT seems to have some, but most are dead ( https://kat.cr/usearch/?q=Rifftrax&from=opensearch) also Primewire.ag seems to have quite a few, although the quality will most likely be very poor. (http://www.primewire.ag/index.php?search_keywords=Rifftrax&key=56d2d32dccb550a9&search_section=2 ) other than that maby a little bit of digging on the web or asking a subreddit dedicated to Rifftrax might be worth your time. you might be able to put in a request over at /wsr/.
>>
TL;DR
Can a cpu be colder than the ambient temperature?

Based Linus said that condensation can be a problem if your cpu is too cold. So when I noticed that my cpu readings by lm-sensors are about 15-16 C, I started to get worried.

I don't know shit about physics. Is there anything to worry about?
>>
>>54025931
Excuse me? Are you a meme?
>>
>>54025880
8/10 - triggered
>>
>>54025942
You would need phase change or thermoelectric cooling to get lower than ambient, you're probably just looking at incorrect readings.
>>
>>54025993
shit, thanks.

these are what my readings look like. do you know why there's such a big difference?
>>
>>54025916
Any particular AMD? Always been an Nvidia guy, not sure what's comprable. I'm getting a new Sony 4K soon so I was just wondering.

Currently running Windows 7, considering 10 purely for the improved DPI Scaling.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-14_01-02-04.png (4 KB, 485x138) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-14_01-02-04.png
4 KB, 485x138
>>54026029
fukn forgot this
>>
File: temp.png (85 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
temp.png
85 KB, 1366x768
>>54025880
i would say its the dual core cpu, i have an overall worse laptop and it runs smoothly on win 10.
>>
>>54026046
yes i realize that my hardware is newer and more efficient.
>>
>>54026035
No idea, I'm an nvidia guy myself, so you'd have to ask around to find out if amd does 23.976 right, or if the tv you're looking at does either. If it doesn't, it's a moot point.
>>
I have Windows10 installed and I want to dual boot Linux

Is GRUB gonna automatically take care of the bootloader shit the same way as it did for Windows7, or is there special steps involved?
>>
>>54025166
Anyone got any experience with faulty HDDs? I just recieved a new HDD and I think it's DOA. During POST the disk (yes, the disk, not my board) just makes beeping noises periodically (usually in 1 second intervals) stalling boot for an extra minute before my board just gives up and starts booting off my SSD (boot drive). Once my OS boots, the drive cannot be mounted or seen in the file manager but can be seen in the devices list. Attempting to create a new partition table or file system just results in fsync or I/O errors with continuous prompts to retry or ignore.

>Tried changing boot order in BIOS but the drive will not show up.
>Ensured SATA mode was ACHI. Tried IDE mode on the off-chance, same thing happened.
>Tried using different SATA cables; beeped and stalled.
>Tried booting without the SATA cable to ensure it wasn't the cable, still beeped and stalled.
>Tried booting with no other SATA devices attached; same result.
>Tried booting without my GPU just incase it was lack of power; no change.
>Tried using a live distro just to see if I could format or do ANYTHING with the drive but nothing happens. The drive will not show up in the live distro.

Booting into linux (my usual OS) and using gparted will show the drive, but I cannot mount/format/create a partition table or anything else. DMESG shows a tonne of ATA errors. Fdisk closes instantly.

Is it safe to assume the drive is dead? Drive is an ST8000AS0002 (Seagate 8TB) just incase this type of thing is common.
>>
>>54026046
Ok, thanks! Is that something that I can swap out, without having to start again from scratch?
>>
>>54026066
What!?? Who are you speaking to?
>>
>>54026162
depends on what CPUs are compatible with your Mobo and CPU socket. But without knowing more specifics i couldn't tell you. The swap would be with a still older CPU unless you also updated your motherboard and your CPU. It all depends on what your build is made of.
>>54026172
i was just stating that the performance i experience with my worse specs are not really comparable to yours due to my parts being newer and more efficient.
>>
My internet speeds drop to basically dial up esque speeds until I reset my router at which point they return to their normal speeds.

Is it congestion?
>>
How would move pictures in the base folder to other folders following a name pattern
Folders are three digit numerical starting with 001.
File names are alphanumerical following this pattern
blah-001-001.jpg
blah-010-010.jpg
blah-100-100.jpg
I have wll over 1000 pictures that i need to sort
>>
File: aaaaaaaaa 14.jpg (109 KB, 1117x731) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaaa 14.jpg
109 KB, 1117x731
>>54026046
Sorry to be a complete idiot, but, you said you thought my problem was probably the cpu- yeah? Looking at your specs compared to mine; mine is running at 3.00Ghz and yours is running at 1.83Ghz- doesn't that mean that mine is better/more efficient (or something!?) than yours?? Isn't that how it works??
(I'm already thinking that I must have completely missed the point here)

Shiiiit.
>>
>>54026292
Jesus doesn't want you to download your Backdoor Indian Racecars #7 movie.
>>
When I use wifi tether router on android it stays connected for 10 minutes then the network disappears. Read that something is taking over wifi on the phone to scan for something. All wifi settings are set to do that, is there a way to either disable everything else or check to see what's knocking the wifi out?
>>
>>54025166

did he got charged for possession?
>>
File: psyc.jpg (268 KB, 710x886) Image search: [Google]
psyc.jpg
268 KB, 710x886
>>54026331
its a little more complicated than that. I have 2 physical cores that are hyper-threaded. That gives me a rough equivalent of 4 cores all at ~2ghz (for the sake of simplicity). Now, you have two CPU cores at 3ghz. So basically i can do more at once, although you can do things faster (Oversimplification) . Secondly my CPU is newer making it more efficient, so for the same amount of "effort" my CPU should get more done. Thirdly my CPU has better graphical capabilities than your GPU or CPU. Now i would have to see your CPU RAM and GPU usage when your lag occurs to see whats causing the biggest issue, but i would assume its just the fact they your still on a dual core system which is becoming obsolete very quickly.I dont think its your GPU just because 700mb should be fine for 2d games, i think ( i dont game much so i wouldn't really know what the GPU usage is for the games you play). Hopefully that helps. :)
>>
Trying to use my old android phone as an htpc.

I also have a chromecast and cast my screen to it, but I'd like to have an actual wired connection. If I get an MHL adapter, can I have that hooked up to HDMI, and the phone run just on the power source to the wall? I don't want to have to rely on battery power if I do it.
>>
MPCHC user here
I checked the "remember dvd position" option but it doesn't always work
I'm wondering if this happens to everyone else too?
or is it a problem on my end
>>
>>54025166
What config lines do i need to strip ip's when users access my nginx web server?

Also, any other tips for webserver owners on anonymizing incomming traffic?
>>
>>54026539
ln -s /var/log/ /dev/null
>>
>>54025880
upgrade your cpu to a recent i3 or i5. you will also need to upgrade your motherboard, so that the cpu fits the socket.
>>
What's a good image viewer software? I want to create albums, add descriptions etc
>>
android user here, when i leave certain apps open in the background my phone crashes, do yall get this too or nah?
some apps ive noticed this with are es file explorer, kik, and various games
pls respond
>>
>>54025840
bump
>>
File: 1460513097018.png (14 KB, 166x166) Image search: [Google]
1460513097018.png
14 KB, 166x166
Night /g/.
I can get a pretty good deal for a i5 2500k and a Geforce Asus 750 (not the TI) for something around $246... Currently I've a i3 2120 and a Sapphire 6750... I dont care about playing my vidya in full graphics or anything like that... but, is a good deal? Thanks
>>
>>54026586
You waited 7 minutes,fuck off
>>
>>54026557
Linux: Shotwell, Gwenview, gthumb
Windows: Picasa, ACDSee
>>
>>54026593
how about fuck you
>>
>>54026566
Sounds like memory leaks, it used to happen on my motorola atrix hd when i tried to upload pics to instagram, app would use up all the ram and crash my phone.
>>
Is there a way to auto-bulk-download all captures from all years for a certain website URL saved by the waybackmachine?
>>
>>54026621
so this is the fault of the app or the phone? or both?
can i do anything bout it?
>>
>>54026627
htttrack
>>
>>54025330
Why would your professor give you an assignment you wouldn't understand?
>>
Are there any huge disadvantages to pirating win 7? Does it have effect on performance or anything major?
Also, how does one do that? Torrent it, burn it to a cd and then insert it to the new rig?
>>
>>54026489
Thank you! That was really nicelly dumbed down! To just the right level to help me understand. :)

I'm sure that you read that last sentence with at least a little bit of sarcasm!? Well- If you go back and read it again, but this time without even the slightest hint of sarcasm; well- that's how it was supposed to be read! :)

Thank you man.
>>
>>54026632
If your phone has less than 2gb ram it would be both, else its the app. I suggest either close the apps after you use them or upgrade to a phone with more ram.
I currently have a china phone with 3gb ram and no problems so far.
>>
>>54026676
No Problem , was glad to help.
Good luck. :)
>>
>>54026688
I have LG 3G, 3gb ram as well
I just close the apps when I don't use them so it's not a major inconvenience, just a little pain
thanks for your responses friend
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (19 KB, 695x286) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
19 KB, 695x286
Plugged pump connector into molex, now temps are really fucking bad
What gives?
>>
Firefox user here
On chrome you could type a website into the address bar and the option to google it would be the first or second drop down recommendation
Is there an addon or something that will allow me to do the same on ff?
>>
How do i make Music Bee search for lyrics without me hitting the 'redo search' button?
>>
I am trying to install Linux Mint alongside Windows 10 to dual boot. I found a tutorial on YouTube that said to free up the partition space on Win10 first. However, when I went to install Mint, the free space was labeled as "Unusable" and I could not select it.
>>
File: IMG_20160414_021112_747.jpg (25 KB, 1080x277) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160414_021112_747.jpg
25 KB, 1080x277
>>54026722
le china phone on normal usage, when i boot its around 600mb.
>>
File: pls.jpg (88 KB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
pls.jpg
88 KB, 500x368
programming noob here who only knows some matlab
so I want to learn C. I got me K&R and I think I'm going to need me some more hand holding than that if I'm going to actually finish it. is there some online course or website that could help me through this book or should I even use some more idiot friendly book?
>>
>>54026725
You're getting accurate results then using 3/4 pin?
>>
>>54026557
Irfanview?
>>
>>54026762
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot
>>
>>54025383
Uninstall cc, get cs6
Cc is arguably the worst series adobe has put out
>>
>>54026773
What?
>>
Hey /g/, You've all tempted me to try GNU/Linux but I'm in the dark as to what it can offer a standard PC user such as myself. I'm concerned my programs won't work on a non-Windows machine. What makes it as great as yu all say it is?

Care to lay out the pros and cons of a GNU/Linux system and offer any tips for the beginner users here? So many people don't even know where to begin.

Thanks anons
>>
Any ideas how much the GTX 1070 is going to cost on launch?
>>
>>54026919
$1500
>>
>>54026956
That's a bit too much isn't it
>>
>>54026919
>look at previous two generation's card's launch prices at that tier
>you now have the price of the next card in that series
>>
>>54026862
the main pro besides security is it offers you a greater degree of control, installing programs or drivers and pretty much anything that changes or effects the system it comes up and asks you for a password
>>
Is Lollipop significantly better than KitKat?

Like, would it be worth getting a phone with a lower resolution screen and worse design, and less RAM that had lollipop instead of a superior (hardware-wise) phone that was stuck on KitKat forever?
>>
>>54026976
I was expecting it to be more expensive but if what you say is true then I am glad.
>>
here's one:
i have an arctic cooling f12tc fan with thermal sensor which will be responsible for cooling my graphics card. i have no free molex left so is it ok to plug it to my motherboard or should i stick to my PSU? looks like the fan works independently of what mobo says but just to be sure
>>
>>54027013
>no molex left
Daisy chain in to one of your current connections
>>
>>54027013
It's got a 3pin connector on it, right?
I can't think of a reason to not plug it into the mobo if it does.

Molex is disgusting.
>>
Should I be looking at building an HTC Vive rig anytime soon or wait until next generation to see if it takes off?

Can you even build a pc that will comfortably run VR yet?

I have money and space available.
>>
>>54027028
yes but i'd have to go right now and buy a cable
>>54027034
yes, 3pin
>>
>>54026661
Because Anon is retarded and doesn't study or pay attention in class.
>>
What do I use for torrents /g/? I usually just download using my phone, but I got the bootloop and can't right now.
[spoiler]Nost refugee looking forward to PlayTBC
>>
File: P1103513s.jpg (258 KB, 1000x734) Image search: [Google]
P1103513s.jpg
258 KB, 1000x734
>>54027047
I'd plug it into the mobo.
>>54027044
It's been getting good reviews so far.
My 980/16GB/3570K @4.1 build can run a decent amount of games at a 2048x1536/ ~90+fps which is more pixels than the vive
The Rift's recommended specs are 970/8GB/4590.
https://www.oculus.com/en-us/rift/
They're both 2160x1200 so the same computer should get similar results on both.
>>
>>54027114
asking because i don't want any "CPU is pretty cool right now so let's slow down the fans. idc what the fan does exactly" scenario or simmilar
>>
>>54027129
If you have a CHA FAN header it should be fine.
Check if you can choose fan speeds manuall, if you can, that won't be a problem.
>>
What FOSS browsers are compatible with Netflix?
>>
>>54027139
already tried with speedfan but looks like it only listens to what thermal sensor says
unless i fucked up something with the config
>>
>>54025166
What is a good pdf to read for learning c#
>>
>shitty-ish acer aspire V laptop at goodwill
>$30
>whatever, worst case I flip it for $100
>check power, just to see if battery works
>my charger doesn't work with it, so I'd have to buy a new one (only $20 so it's nbd)
should I keep it and use it for a backup or throw it on craigslist for $100? is there anything cool I can do with it?

link related
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?item_id=078831
>>
>>54027114
>3570k
fuark I'm still using mine, I guess the upgrade will be cheaper than I thought.

I might go for a 980ti though because f it, or wait out for 1080ti, but I've not looked into it to know if I should expect it to be any good. I ain't gunna dive into it, I'm not that desperate, I can hold out for a year or so to see if it gets better/more support.
>>
I think my water cooler's fans are too noisy. Would it be a good idea to replace the stock fans with some quieter ones? Any suggestions?
>>
>>54027249
I'd wait for the new Nvidia/ AMD stuff if you're not in a rush.
Pascal is a process shrink, architecture change, and HBM2, it should be really good.
>>54027261
What cooler do you have?
>>
Hey so I was wondering what the best and safest way to move 2tb of data from this shitty seagate drive to a 6gb WD drive. It has my OS and a shit load of songs and far too much porn.
>>
>>54027383
Copy pasta,including partitions
>>
>>54026494
Bump
>>
requesting a good torrent program for windows
haven't touched desktop torrent programs early 2015
>>
>>54027415
I've not done it but I don't see why not.
It'd be similar to people turning phones into dedicated alarm clocks, but an HTPC.
>>
>>54027437
But doesn't using MHL to output HDMI use some of the power? I know the MHL adapters have a micro usb port in it that you're supposed to plug into the wall. I guess I just want to know how much of that goes toward the charging of the phone vs the adapter outputting hdmi
>>
File: 20160413181654.png (8 KB, 740x310) Image search: [Google]
20160413181654.png
8 KB, 740x310
Has anybody else had graphical fuck-ups in Arch lately? Things like
>Random screen corruption in LibreOffice
>Elements blending together in Java
>No padding in GTK themes
It's happened on both of my computers running Arch
>>
>>54026556
Thanks man!! I'll get my googling trousers on!
>>
Xperia z3 or z5?
>>
Is there a way to set the sd card as the default destination for all downloads on android? I'm sick of downloading to internal and then cut+pasting it to sd card
>>
I hate coming here to ask you guys stupid questions but what's the type of program that helps hide torrent activity? I've been drawing a blank.

And can anyone suggest a good one?
>>
>>54027487
You updated gtk3 to 3.20.You need a gtk3 3.20 updated theme,check the forums for the thread with options in it.Or just dont deal with it,becaused no one ever makes a good theme(black means fucking black,not grey backround with another bright ass color)
>>
>>54027541
Use a VPN, preferably one based in a country outside of the five eyes servailance program
>>
>>54027541
vpn
>>
>>54027419
Qbittorrent is gud, don't fall for the memes
>>
>>54027555
Thanks, I didn't realize that GTK 3.20 was incompatible
>>
>>54027591
They changed alot of shit between 3.18 and 3.20,some being the calls that the themes make,so old themes are just all fucky like you're experiancing
>>
>>54027486
I'm not certain, but here's some text from the wiki that makes me think it provides power.

>Whereas HDMI uses the power line to provide 5 volts from the source at 50 mA (0.25 W) for the purpose of awakening a sleeping sink, MHL uses it to provide that voltage from the sink at 900 mA (4.5 W) to maintain the state of charge of the source.
>This allows a mobile device with only one port for both charging and MHL to operate indefinitely without exhausting the battery, provided 4.5 W is sufficient.
>Devices needing more power from the port used for MHL may not be suitable candidates for MHL 2.0; MHL 3.0 raises the power requirement to 2 A (10 W).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_High-Definition_Link
>>54027581
I also use qbittorrent.
>>
>>54026452
Nope, cop's uniform doesn't have the right badges, it's a guy in a costume.
>>
Nvidia or AMD GPU For Recording gameplay?
>>
>>54027274
Lepa Aquachanger 240
>>
>>54027639
Dedicated card(not amd/nvidia)
>>
>>54026768
pls
>>
is there a way to get my windows 8.1 to stick to one user folder?
All the other users have been deleted but it's still using all 5 of the folders so its a pain in the ass
>>
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 800x600
I wanna sell this Dell XPS 17 L702X (gaming) laptop and trying to get a Surface Pro. Everything works and in tact, just too big for me now. I know price depreciated a lot, but still wonder what I can sell it for?
>>
>>54027657
like?
>>
>>54027565
>>54027570

Thanks. Any recommendations?
>>
>>54027709

There are two used on Amazon right now for about 500 dollars so maybe 350-400 realistically.
>>
>>54027640
Hadn't registered it was a water cooler, that makes it super easy to change fans though, which is great.
Cooler master SP120 Quiet editions come in 2packs for ~$30, and are quiet to normal people.
Noctua fans are good but expensive.
Darkside AP-60's seem to be essentially Gentle typhoons, which where the kings of silent performance for a LONG time.
>>
File: image.jpg (648 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
648 KB, 2304x1728
How's my build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZrffK8

Keeping myself busy by building a PC. Want to lower the price if possible since main use is for digital design.
>>
>>54027715
No experience with them,so i cant make a recomendation but this should get you started
You'd want a video capture card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=video%20capture%20card&Submit=ENE
>>
>>54027747
Thanks. Gonna check all the ones in similar condition online and see if I can stick to my guns when the sale comes around.
>>
urm, okay.
is it alright to delete update KB2670838 for Windows 7? It's being a bitch for fraps so I decided I'm going to delete it.
>>
>>54026331
>more efficient
Power consumption and CPU clock speed are not the same thing.
>>
>>54027749
Thanks I'll look into them
>>
>>54027836
actually wrong board
>>
Holy fuck, all I want to do is stick Windows 7 in my shitty Thinkpad x130e (which has no optical drive).

I Googled for a way to do it on OS X. Doesn't seem to be any useful tools, and using the 'dd' command on the terminal did not do anything good.

So I installed a Windows 7 VM under OSX. I tried the Windows 7 tool. It wants to fucking format it, which I allow, but then it fails. If I could just fucking format it my fucking self and then use the tool, problem solved, but it doesn't care at all. It doesn't care if it's already formatted to something it can use, it'll erase it anyways.

So I tried from Linux. Common suggestion is to install an older version of unetbootin and give it a go. Well, when I try to run it, I get:

>error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0:

I'm just not meant to install a usable operating system on this Thinkpad, am I?

Yeah, yeah, I love Linux, but I also want to watch a video without tearing with these shitty drivers. And sometimes I just want to use Windows.

Any ideas here?
>>
Something is turning my wifi on/off on android, sometimes when i check my notifications i literally see it blink on and off on the shortcut bar... How do i check what specifically is doing this? Its fucking my wifi tether router up
>>
>>54027756
looks fine my man

only place you might be able to save money is with either a cheaper case or PSU

I'd suggest getting DDR4 though as DDR3 can hurt your system. also get a Caviar HDD
>>
File: 6uwZscZ.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1709) Image search: [Google]
6uwZscZ.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1709
>>54027756
Are you planning to use lots of PCIE slots?
If not you could go mITX and get built in wifi.
Also for some reason you used DDR3, but you can get a 2x8 kit of DDR4 for less.
+mITX allows smaller cases.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/crJKFT
I apologize if you hate these suggestions, I'm a huge mITX shill.
>>
File: jobs.png (543 KB, 1010x758) Image search: [Google]
jobs.png
543 KB, 1010x758
>>54025166
if i ssh to someone and play a video, is it rendered on their computer or my computer?
>>
best domain name registrar?
>>
>>54027952
Use rufus to make a usb install of win7

>tearing
Thats a you issue and not a entire fuckland of distros.
>shitty drivers
Dont use shitty hardware?
>>
>>54028134
>It's your fault if notoriously shitty AMD drivers don't work
>Get better hardware

Useless post of the year.
>>
>>54028134
>Use rufus to make a usb install of win7

Also I'm about to try this in a VM since that's the only way I can use Windows at the moment. Unless you have a suggestion for me to do it within GNU/Linux or OSX.

I used the Boot Camp assistant on my mac to make a bootable drive, but it didn't seem to work at all on my Thinkpad.
>>
>>54028295
>buy good hardware with long time support for a fuck ton of its hardware
>install driver and it just fucking works
>no tearing
>no stuttering

Read up before you buy.In this case you fell for the ATI meme,and you have shitty driver support.Get nvidia and dont have any problems
>>
>>54028331

I know the problems with this laptop but the thing is that I already have it. If I were to buy a laptop now, and had the money to spend on one, I'd stay the fuck away from something like this. ATI always gives me shit on Linux anyways, and since I was always a poorfag I've always been using ATI. But I have options these days now so hopefully I don't have to become their bitch anymore.
>>
File: 1429281874428.jpg (384 KB, 1148x1530) Image search: [Google]
1429281874428.jpg
384 KB, 1148x1530
Need to have some throwaway phone while I wait for HTC 10

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nokia-Lumia-635-Windows-Phone-8-1-LTE-Smartphone-T-Mobile-NEW-/151506540355?hash=item23467e5743:g:5ZQAAOSwDk5T8Z41

Does this werk? I think it even has some clover sort of browser.
>>
why does firefox history delete your oldest entries while chrome history keeps everything forever?
is there a way to make ff not delete history?
>>
>>54028428
I want to read this magazine, can you please link it to me?
>>
File: QuickMemo+_2016-04-13-22-37-42.png (124 KB, 720x1188) Image search: [Google]
QuickMemo+_2016-04-13-22-37-42.png
124 KB, 720x1188
The fuck is this? (under android mobile data usage) Antivirus shows no problems. One forum thread when I searched for it that didn't really say shit.
>>
>>54028428
I have a 635.
It's good, but the 640 is better.http://www.ebay.com/itm/AT-T-GoPhone-Microsoft-Lumia-640-4G-LTE-QuadCore-w-8GB-Memory-No-Contract-/201550864605?hash=item2eed5e20dd:g:0pYAAOSwZtJW-bG9
It's windows phone, so if you don't like that you're SOL.
I love WP though, and bought an android phone as a toy/ authenticator mule.
>>
>>54028464
what does tinfoil do?
>>
im currently running two drives, my C drive (60GB solid state) is where i have Windows installed and where i put like general use drivers and stuff, my D drive (1TB disk drive) is where i put everything else. for the past couple of months my C drive space has been dwindling and i cant figure out what is taking up so much space on it. im now at literally 0 bytes free after installing some drivers for my new GPU. ive run CCleaner and it hasnt really helped. is there something i can do short of reformatting my computer just so i can have a clean slate? some sort of hidden treasure trove of unused files that i can delete or another program i can get to help?
>>
>>54028438
Chrome = Google = propaganda.
Google profits with your informaton, it does not wants it deleted.
>>
>>54028502
windirstat
>>
>>54028480
Blocks electromagnetic waves.
>>
Good way to make pdfs from kindle files?

Calibre and drmplugin seems to spill out pdfs with weird spacing and font issues. Epub doesnt seem to work either.
>>
>>54028502
Are you using a VPN?
Private internet access ate my space with log files a month or two ago, I also had literally 0 bytes free.
Delete log files- problem solved.
There's some solution they have but it's BS, if I didn't have a year with them i wouldn't keep using it.
>>
>>54028480
Sandboxed browser for facebook, so no tracking and notifixations and shit. Also cant upload pics but meh
>>
File: 91CUhTgG2tL._SL1500_.jpg (229 KB, 1455x1500) Image search: [Google]
91CUhTgG2tL._SL1500_.jpg
229 KB, 1455x1500
I'm about to buy an all-in-one Lenovo PC for my dad. The two models I'm looking at are identical in specs except for the processor type (one has an AMD E1-7010 with R2 graphics, the other has a Celeron n3050 with Intel HD graphics). The AMD desktop costs $300, while the Intel costs $30 more.

Both are slow as shit but all my dad does is web browsing (e-mail, forums, lots of music, photo and HD web video viewing, etc) so they should be good enough I think.

Question: Is the Celeron model worth the extra $30 over the AMD given that they're both such low-end processors?
>>
>>54028511
>>54028523
2 piece of shit replies for the price of one
go fuck yourselves
>>
>>54028547
Use calibre to export to .rtf and load that file in your favourite word processor. Adjust and tweak as you wish. Then print/save/export to PDF.
>>
>>54028327
>>54028134
AAAAAND rufus did it!

So I made a bootable flash drive by sticking a Windows 7 vm in OSX and running rufus

Feels good man, thanks for the suggestion
I need to get out of this ATI lifestyle
>>
Anyone? Any ideas on this: >>54026161
>>
>>54028570
e1-7010 has half the performance of n3050, take n3050
>>
>>54028612

Use warranty, send it back.
>>
>>54028541
nah im not using a VPN, at least i dont believe i am. im not very familiar with VPNs but im guessing its something you dont just accidentally do
>>
>>54028591

Fuck, meant to quote >>54028537
>>
File: acer_aspire_5920_gesamt1_08.jpg (51 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
acer_aspire_5920_gesamt1_08.jpg
51 KB, 800x600
So I have this glorious piece of shit:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-5920G-Notebook.4217.0.html

The Acer Aspire 5920g. I want to into Linux on it, but how in the everloving fuck do you get the drivers to work.

Now this would be easy if my bro had kept the original graphics card, but he upgraded it to the strongest card the MXM graphics slot would take.

So now I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 4670. Supposedly it's meant to have switching graphics for power conservation, but that shit just doesn't fly. AMD doesn't support it any more officially, and the Linux drivers don't seem to support the switching function.

I last tried it on Crunchbang++. I kinda want to use the Arch guide I saw around here for a completely clean, custom Linux. Does anybody have any clue how not to burn the battery because lolno dpgu / igpu switch?
>>
>>54028630
So it's definitely dead then? Never heard a HDD beep before. Just wanted to make sure before going through the returns process.

Thank you.
>>
>>54028644
>im guessing its something you dont just accidentally do
Definitely is something you'd have to have done on purpose.
The only other thing I can think to do is windirstat like the other anon said and see if you can find the issue.
>>
>>54028616
I think I may go with the Intel. Thanks anon.
>>
Looking for advice. A week or two ago, my computer started crashing and restarting itself intermittently, especially during graphics-intensive games. I checked my CPU and GPU (an nvidia geforce gtx 670 I think) temps, and while the CPU was fine, but the GPU was getting a bit hot, ~71C before shutting off the machine. I used some compressed air to clean out the dust, then updated my graphics card driver. Now, it lasts much longer but the GPU is still getting too hot (up to ~81C while still working, before shutting down) during some activities and then restarting the computer. However, I've read elsewhere that things should be able to run up to around that temp range safely, only getting damaging around 90+. The case and gpu fans seem to be fine, certainly they are spinning and don't seem intermittent, though I can't tell if they're really working as hard as ever or not.

While running graphics-intensive things, the temperature rises rises often at around 1 degree/sec. Is that rate normal or totally out there?

I haven't opened up the graphics card during my cleaning (just blew air in the holes and fan), because I haven't done that before and don't want to accidentally the whole thing.

I've also read that some folks recommend changing the thermal paste (and heat sink?) for the card. I haven't done that before. I built my computer about 3 years ago with the help of a friend (who since moved), so we set up the sink+paste for the CPU, but the GPU presumably came with that already done.

So, questions:
1) Do you agree with my assessment that the GPU temp is the likely culprit triggering the shutdowns? What else should I check and how (power supply?)?
2) How should I go about properly cleaning dust out of my card? Should I open it? I don't have any tools such as a grounding wrist-strap so I'm a bit leery.
3) Should I change the GPU thermal paste myself? Pay somebody to do it? Don't do it at all?
4) Any other advice/thoughts?

Pic unrelated.
>>
File: 1434334628759.png (48 KB, 1175x502) Image search: [Google]
1434334628759.png
48 KB, 1175x502
I upgraded my GPU drivers the other day for Dark Souls, I set it to low because of a crashing bug, ran at 60fps constantly with no drops.

Today there was a patch, I started it up and I could barely break 10 fps on low, I tabbed out to bitch about it on /vg/, tabbed back in and it was running fine. Played for 10 minutes before the fps drop started happening again. I thought it was the patch that was fucking up the game, but I downloaded Geeks3D FurMark and these were my scores. The first one was done, then about 5 minutes later I done the second, and immediately after the third.

I'm about to revert back to a previous driver version, but I just wanted to ask while I wait if there's a chance that my GPU's are dying and that it's a coincidence that it just happened after I updated.
>>
Anyone wanna complete my Aleks bullshit?
I pay top dollar :|
>>
>>54028678
>>54028521
windirstat definitely helped, got 6GB just disabled Hibernate mode. have you (or anyone else) heard of WICleanup? pages tell me that its a program used to remove orphaned .msi and .msp files in the Windows/Installer folder (which is taking up a shit ton of space), but im not sure how chill it is yet so i wanted to ask first
>>
>>54028908
I've not heard of it, but if you want to try something similar to windirstat for redundancy you can do diskspacefan.
>>
>>54027659
Learn C The Hard Way
>>
File: screenshot.jpg (322 KB, 3520x1080) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.jpg
322 KB, 3520x1080
I need some help with the Sound in this Xubuntu installation. So, I'm trying to play audio with my hdmi cable from my Nvidia GPU's HDMI Output, but it does not seem to work. Any help?
>>
>>54028953
Have you tried using alsamixer? in alsamixer, use f6 to switch card and then increase the volume on your hdmi device (check it's not muted, too). Otherwise perhaps install pulseaudio (if it's not installed already) and a GUI for it (I think one is called pavucontrol) and select the output device that way. Not sure what else to recommend. VLC and probably other media devices can select different audio outputs, might want to try that whilst playing a video if all else fails.
>>
>>54028953
Sorry, didn't see your pic. I can see you've tried alsamixer.
>>
What's a good motherboard manufacturing for AMD am3+ socket chips?

My ASUS board is crapping out. I'd rather not spend more than 150$
>>
File: Craigslist.png (14 KB, 1004x307) Image search: [Google]
Craigslist.png
14 KB, 1004x307
Anyone here ever bought a used GPU from Craigslist?

The prices are sometimes tempting but the complete lack of accountability is terrifying especially because I'm poor.
>>
is WOT reliable?
how do you guys know if a link is safe if you don't use it?
>>
If I started tooling around with Arch will that erase my Windows 10 key if I find it doesn't work?

Something about them being hardware locked, so it doesn't matter anyway?
>>
File: LoliDance.gif (878 KB, 269x287) Image search: [Google]
LoliDance.gif
878 KB, 269x287
>>54029061
I FUCKING LOVE YOU
Take a cute loli in return
>>
Okay so I've been having wifi interference from one of my neighbours. I looked it up and downloaded a program called WifiInfoView which said he was on the same channel as I am, 6, so I went and changed my wifi channel to 11 to get away from him.

However I'm getting interference again and the wifi scanner says he's on channel 11 now too.

Is there any way I can figure out what direction the signal is coming from and track it down and talk to him? I don't want to be playing channel tag.
>>
What's a good, cheap, high capacity external hard drive? I plan to use it mostly to keep anime, vidya, and other pirated media on it to keep it hidden and not taking any space
>>
>>54025166
Stupid question here, will I be missing much If I don't buy a monitor without a hdmi connection?
>>
>>54029345
I've gotten a few off Kijiji and I've had no problems

that being said, obviously there's risk involved, but sometimes it's worth the gamble

if possible, always get proof of the card running. if that's not possible, meet at their house. people will be less likely to sell you a dead card if they know you know where they live. and 3, if it's too good to be true, you're gonna get shanked by a Dindu

I've bought a 7970 and 290 used, both worked near flawlessly (cosmetic mainly)

I honestly don't think I'll buy new again. for the price of a new 960, I can buy a used 290x or even 390 if I'm lucky. price of a new 380x=price of a used 290
>>
>>54025250
Nigger, are you still here? type

"gedit ~/.bashrc" and add this shit.
ccd () { 
killall gnome-open
echo "Now moving to '$1'"
cd "$1"
gnome-open . &
}

now try navigating your file system with ccd instead of cd, and try practicing the normal commandline set.
>>
File: Untitled.png (90 KB, 670x833) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
90 KB, 670x833
>Got an imminent hard drive failure notice
How often do you get false positives with this? I checked my drive with CrystalDiskInfo and this is what it says. Should I be worried?
>>
>>54029543
sort out your negatives
>>
>>54028472
And this will werk with my current at&t contract sim or am I paying for some at&t service buying this
>>
>>54028570
Get him to use edge, chrome is a bit much for such a shitty computer
>>
File: Virtualbox_logo.png (170 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Virtualbox_logo.png
170 KB, 512x512
What kind of computer (CPU,RAM) would I need in order to run 8 virtual machines of Ubuntu together with my main Win7 machine? Each of the Ubuntu VMs would run a continuous R/Python/C++ script controlling the mouse/keyboard interface of the VM. I am currently running it in 1 Ubuntu VM through VirtualBox and I gave it 2 cores and 3GB RAM, my current main machine has an i7 with 2 cores / 4 threads and 8GB RAM.
>>
Hello. I have a SHARP SG-220 "stereo music center", but can't make the GARRARD turntable work in automatic mode.
Here's what happens:
>piles 2 discs
>sets automatic mode
>turntable starts spinning
>1st disc falls on the rotating turntable
>the stylus head bumps on the 2nd disc, that is on the top of the pole
>goes down on the wrong place, outside of the disc that it was supposed to play
>no music
Someone can please explain to me what am I doing wrong?
>>
>>54029699
Probably 16GB and a real i7, not a bullshit mobile dual core one, but it really depends on what they're going to be running
>>
>>54025250
I was like that too, but once you understand the basics you never go back.
CLI tends to be pretty similar on every single program, at difference of UIs where you'd usually have to know what you are doing to do X shit.
Im not saying im a super hacker now or anything, but i usually feel more comfortable to use a new program when it has a CLI instead of a UI (at first at least)
About gaining more confidence... i dont want to be "that guy" but linux is usually better for this.
>>
Anyone know how the new raspberry pi does as an htpc over a hardline connection? Specifically, I'm wondering about proper surround sound mixing, I don't think it should have an issue with HD video.
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (55 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
55 KB, 500x495
>>54025166
so if I buy this switch what ding dong do I need to run cat 6 from one to the other
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-WS-C3560E-48TD-S-10GbE-Switch-QTY-2-/222079123539?hash=item33b4f28053:g:AM0AAOSwiylXB38s
>>
What are some safe temperature "zones" for a newly built computer.

I see some forums saying 80-90 F
and others saying nothing exceeding 100F

(i5 6600k, 980gtx if it matters)

also, why are preloads hard to crack?
>>
>>54029868
>F
>>
I'm a C noob. Got some syntax questions. Trying to traverse a maze using a 2D array e.g.

XXXX0X
X0X00X
X000XX
XXX0XX

Where the 0s represent the path, and the X represents a wall (unwalkable). The information I have is the start point and the end point of the maze.

I've got the maze logged into char ** maze.
I'm trying to figure out how I would 1) initialize the maze to start point (in the example, that would be 0, 5) 2) Alter that character (0) to a different character to signify walking the maze:

XXXXWX
X0XWWX
X00WXX
XXXWXX

I don't know if I can just initialize the start point like
int start[2] // start[0] = 0 start[1] = 5

for(int i = 0; i < rows; ++ i)
{
for(int j = 0; j < columns; ++j)
maze[i][j] = {start[0], start[1]};
// how do I set maze[0][5] to W????
}

tl;dr I don't know how to 2-d array properly desu senpai anyone got good references lmfao
>>
Anybody got an easy way to remember the differences in pinout between 568A and 568B? Bonus points awarded for a way to remember crossover and console cables pinouts too.
>>
Anyone know of a good filehost for files around 500MB similar to maxfile.ro?
>>
>>54025330
http://codebins.com/bin/4ldqoxp/1/test

pretty inelegant solution that i just googled and fiddled around with.

just generates all the permutations of 0123456789 excluding those that begin with 0.
>>
Anyone know of a simple program to have a moveable image on your desktop, like a mascot type thing? I use some open source one for a moveable clock and need something I can use for a moveable gif with transparency.
>>
File: 1396036445499.png (166 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1396036445499.png
166 KB, 300x300
So recently i started having this bug where as soon as you enable windows update the svchost attached to it would just go crazy and occupy one single CPU core the entire time. Killing off the svchost in question does solve the CPU problem, but it results in aero not working anymore (aka having to restart all the aero-related services all over again for it to work) and windows updates being turned off again.

I've done some reading and this seems to be a widespread issue which has been known to occur on win7 for some time now. I already tried most of the fixes, including but not limited to installing the newest version of the windows update agent and so on. It's no use though, any time the update settings are enabled/changed the svchost immediately starts going crazy again so i just turned it off for now, forcing me to manually search for updates.

Does anyone know a fix for this though? Should i reinstate an earlier version of the registry or something? I mean it's basically just a mere nuisance in my eyes and i sure as heck won't be reinstalling the OS just because the update agent decided to sperg out but it'd still be nice to have it fixed again heh
>>
I finally have a phone I want to buy a case for. I see so many that are shells that you fit the phone into - are they actually much help if you drop your phone 4 ft from your hand to the sidewalk?
>>
>>54030147
as long as everything is covered then yes, if parts/corners are sticking out, then a potential vector of drop can damage the screen.
>>
>>54030174
Tks
>>
Is a dead Gigabyte 7870 worth anything? Cooler works fine.
>>
>>54030395
Is it truly dead? People buy "dead" gpu's all time for super cheap and fix them.
>>
File: IMG_20160414_024812.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160414_024812.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>>54025166
Hi, I have a pretty stupid questions. Is it ok to do pic related?
Use two different cables (that come from the power supply) instead of only one with two connectors?
They go into a 6pin connector that goes into an r7 360 (xfx).
Sorry for my shitty english and the dumb question.
>>
>>54030444
No idea, I was using my PC one day and the screen went white then it crashed. No video output now. I've confirmed it's the GPU - no video output on another computer too.

Took it all apart, checked for blown caps/moisture causing shorts/dust, etc. Cleaned the GPU and put new paste on, the works.

Pretty sure it's 100% dead. I just thought that the cooler might be worth something but I can't find prices online.
>>
File: me.jpg (20 KB, 328x266) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
20 KB, 328x266
What's the best way of decrypting a .rar file without wasting money using Windows?
>>
My PC locks up randomly, the screen will turn off and I have to restart to get any response. I'm certain the display is fine. What's happening?
I've tried reproducing conditions but it seems to happen randomly
>>
>>54030593
As long as your power supply still meets the requirements, yes, that's exactly what you're supposed to do.
>>
are these things one-time use?
>>
Gigabyte 380 vs XFX 380? The cards in question:

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Gaming-Graphics-GV-R938G1-GAMING-4GD/dp/B00ZGF3TUC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460614432&sr=8-1&keywords=amd+380

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Double-Dissipation-990MHZ-DisplayPort/dp/B00ZFND0RM/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1460614432&sr=8-11&keywords=amd+380
>>
>>54030773
Oh, great. Thank you!
>>
>>54030122
>>54030122
Addendum, i ran a couple more tests now and found the likely culprit behind this problem;

>"The service registration is missing or corrupt"

From the looks of it this started happening only recently to many other win7 users aswell (just within the last 2 or 3 months or so, symptoms are the same everywhere with broken update agent and svchost sperging out) which is really fucking peculiar and since this was never a problem before i strongly suspect this has been done deliberately on the dev's part

Looks to me like M$ is trying to completely fuck up the windows 7 experience to bully its users into switching to the orwellian win10
>>
>>54030643
7zip or winrar
>>
>>54030818
The gigbyte 380 is voltage locked, meaning it be very poor at oc'ing.

xfx is the "good" manufacture for the budget, but from what I have been told there Costumer service is trash outside of America( coming form a Australian)
>>
>>54030901
>>54030643
I was referring to a way of decrypt it without the password (like force brute), sorry if I didn't imply it in the post.
>>
>>54030903
I'm in Aus too, if the card had an issue wouldn't I RMA it via Amazon anyway?
>>
Just got my stuff for my new build. Should I install Windows 7 or Windows 8.1? I don't want to deal with Windows 10 and forced restarts and the like. Also some privacy concerns.

Skylake i7-6700k
Asus Z170A

I plan to overclock and run simulation software. Windows 7 is losing support somewhere in the next 2 years right?
>>
>>54030986
>Also some privacy concerns.

Why are you installing a closed source operating system if you care about privacy? The answer is simple, you don't actually care about privacy.

Install Windows 10 you big baby, because it has a nicer UI and better gaming performance due to WDDM2.0. Not to mention DX12 which games are starting to support quite rather quickly.

If you need to know how to pirate, it's easy:

>Get W10 ISO from Microsoft website
>Install
>Get Microsoft Toolkit from official MDL thread, magnet link is right there
>Click install product key
>Click install AutoKMS

Done.
>>
Admittedly this is a homework question but I'm not after the answer, just some clarification or help.

So I've been given a database with a PERSON table and I've been asked to modify it so that each PERSON can have a hobby. What has me confused is that each PERSON can have anywhere from 0 to n hobbies, and different PERSONs can share the same hobby.

So I guess I obviously have to make a HOBBY table and somehow link PERSON to it, but how would I make it so that a PERSON can have 0 to n links to it? So far I only know how to link 1-to-1 with a PKEY or FKEY.

I'm guessing it's something really simple but I'm stumped.
>>
Faggot wanting to become cyberpunk here.

What are those one-eye cyberpunk lenses called, the ones that can project a display onto it?
Sometimes snipers have them. Sometimes they're orange, green, or red.

When I get some time I want to actually make a projecting lens and an armband computer (kinda like a Pip Boy, but more polished up).
Also, what would be a good way to go about said project? Should I use Arduino? Or would I better doing something else? What options are there? Can I possibly get the functionality of a basic 640x480 (or better) display that can do both CLI and GUI using an Arduino? Or would I probably want to pull out phone parts or something?

Moreover, what might be a good idea if I'd want to install a SIM card in it to use as a multipurpose armband PC-phone? Any chance a company like AT&T or Verizon would sell me a SIM, and if so, this goes back to the above - should I Arduino or try to somehow pull apart some phones?

I'd rather not actually use phones...
>>
>>54030986
windows 7 is supported until 2020. 8.1 until 2023.

Both versions are pretty solid. I prefer 7 since I don't require a 3rd party start menu like I would in 8.1/10, but ultimately it's up to you. 8.1 is probably faster than 7.

10 won't be a noticeable improvement on an i7 in terms of performance, at least not for a few years until DX12 is more widely supported and mature.
>>
Do any of you guys know what Sonarworks's headphone calibration tool supposed to do? Do they make headphones sound flatter?
>>
>>54030986
Windows 7 is too damn old and 8.1 is going to have similar privacy concerns to 10.

Either install 10 or go Linux.
Or dual-boot and only use Windows 10 for games.
>>
>>54031070
create a third table which relates a PERSON to a HOBBY
>>
>>54031022
Yeah I plan to get them for free. Not really paying MS some $100 for a key. Maybe it's free for uni students I'm not sure (nor care). My opinion regarding Windows security is that Windows 10 is currently unmanageable and a gross violator of privacy (not freedom in particular). Windows 7 afaik is manageable in this regard.

Don't really care about games. All I play is AoE3 and other decade old games every now and then.

I'm just a bit concerned about them being dated and not having proper support for security and stability related patches. Is there really any reason to get Windows 8.1 over Windows 7 and Windows 10 over Windows 8.1. apart from gaming? I'm currently running WinXP 64bit behind a NAT with all ports blacklisted by default on my PC (laptops have Windows 7).

>>54031083
Good enough for me; Windows 7 it is. I'll make a switch to Linux by then if Microsoft hasn't released something that addresses the rampant privacy issues. I honestly don't have enough time to learn dealing with linux at the moment.
>>
My Samsung 850 EVO arrives tomorrow and it'll be my first SSD. How would I go about copying everything on my current HDD (Windows 7 included) to that new SSD?
>>
>>54031147
The Samsung 850 EVO comes bundled with a CD containing Samsung migration software. It's a really straightforward process and involves a a couple of clicks all in all. You can download the software from their website too.

>>54031118
>Windows 7 is too damn old
How will this affect me exactly?
>>
>>54031164
It wont (yet, at least)
Windows 7 is better supported than 10 for the time being
>>
>>54031147
Also keep in mind to not allocate the entire SSD and leave at least 10% for overprovisioning which increases longevity (not that you'd really need it).

>>54031186
Thanks! Can't wait to get this thing up and running. Maybe I can run Windows under Linux in a VM? What are the limitations for that?
>>
>>54030816
Probably not...
But this does not appears to be the correct board.
>>
what's the best value rockbox player out there right now?

I have a sandisk clip zip from like 6 years ago that I got for $20, still runs great but the battery life is kind of shit. I like tactile buttons, the fact that it can be clipped, and probably weighs 10% what my phone weighs.
>>
>>54031164
>You can download the software from their website too.
That's great because I never bought a disk drive.
>It's a really straightforward process and involves a a couple of clicks all in all.
It'll simply clone/duplicate/copy everything over and not care at all about my completely legitimate copy of Windows 7?
>>54031211
>Also keep in mind to not allocate the entire SSD and leave at least 10% for overprovisioning which increases longevity (not that you'd really need it).
I'll do that. How long do these usually last?

Thanks.
>>
>>54031134
intredasting, thx
>>
Why the fuck is threading so hard
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.