[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, if having a bunch of icons on your desktop is bad.. how else
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5
File: desktop2.jpg (28 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
desktop2.jpg
28 KB, 500x375
So, if having a bunch of icons on your desktop is bad.. how else do you easily access your files?
>>
>>54022406
With a file manager
>>
Super key then type what you are looking for :D
>>
>>54022406
>open terminal, current working directory is home directory
>everything is in the home directory
>>
>>54022406
My Windows™ 10 Start Menu
>>
hotkeys
>>
>>54022406
with a dock
>>
>>54022427
I'm using Windows mostly, but how is opening a terminal, navigating to the sub-folder within your home directory, usually listing the contents, and then executing the file you want file easier than one mouse click from on desktop?
>>
>>54022446
lel
>>
>>54022530
It's not, autists are quite uppity about ricing.
>>
>>54022530
>navigating to the subfolder
I don't do that

Also
>what are symlinks
>>
>>54022530
its not, but performing tasks in the command line makes me feel superior to the average user, and i desperately need that in my life at this point
>>
>>54022608
>>54022595
>>54022530
>i can't use a terminal i need pointy clicky cute little icons
>>>/v/
>>
>>54022656
>deflecting
>>
>>54022797
As opposed to pretending to be retarded, like these guys: >>54022608 >>54022595 ?
>>
Launchy
>>
>>54022406
>>54022530
>saying "files" when you meant "programs"
ISHIGGYDIGGY
>>
>>54022805
youre arguing about using the command line. who is a retard again?
>>
I mostly made this thread hoping that someone would have a neat file management method to organize their stuff.

So far it's just angry nerds.

Anime rots your brains, kids.
>>
>>54022859
>youre arguing about using the command line. who is a retard again?
I'm not, I'm answering OP's question about how I easily access files and two guys pretended to be me and claimed I was ricing or feeling superior.
>>
>>54022437
This. The search is pretty fast as well.
>>
Even windows can launch the file manager with a hotkey and have your files shown in a structured way.

Applications are easier to launch with hotkeys or a launcher and if you pin the most important folders, you can easily access them from the file picker or the file dialog
>>
>>54022905
>dump it all in home folder
>can just type in whatever I'm looking for in spotlight/kupfer/launchy
>literally other people in the thread also saying this
Just because you don't like a method of file management doesn't mean it's wrong, kiddo.
>>
Total Commander
>>
>>54022406
i don't even see my desktop, it's been months now
>>
>>54023088
The home folders messy enough without adding a bunch of links.
>>
File: PMKYr7d.png (301 KB, 610x609) Image search: [Google]
PMKYr7d.png
301 KB, 610x609
>>54022406
right click menu
>tfw openbox is my only choice
>>
tabtabtabtabtabtab enter
>>
>>54022406
>super+p brings up file manager
>quickly navigate folders with the keyboard
>browser/email client/calculator/text editor/other commonly used programs also bound to hot keys so I can open them without even going to the desktop
>all gaymes opened through Steam
>desktop is completely empty because of the hotkeys
>>
>>54022406
Taskbar icons and the desktop toolbar in windows panel
>win+number key for 9 programs at any time
>or use the mouse to seek one of the neatly border-aligned taskbar icons
Maximum comfy
>>
So autists want to stare at their wallpaper like some kind if painting?
>>
>>54022819
>saying "programs" when you meant "apps"
>>
Environment paths
>>
>>54023795

That's called RICING and is the main JOB for most of the millenial NEET shitposters on /g
>>
>>54022406
Search. Seriously, every modern OS has the ability to bring up any program on your computer in a couple of keystrokes.
>>
>>54022406
:^)))))))))))))))
>>
>>54022406
What benefit do icons have that a search system doesn't?
>>
>>54023986
>no typing
>they're pretty so you can easily identify and locate them right away
>>
File: weop.jpg (404 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
weop.jpg
404 KB, 1920x1080
I have my most used applications be one click away by having them on the task bar.

Everything else can be accessed by File Explorer and Launchy (which is also one click away).
>>
>>54024001
Searching will always be <10 keystrokes regardless of the number of programs while icons make your system less efficient as more are added.
Having to type is only a reasonable complaint if you are physically incapable of typing because of an injury/illness.
>>
test
>>
>>54024064

I've used that windows theme before, it's damn sexy.

Also Launchy is fucking great, I use it when I want to change control panel setting on the fly instead of navigating through tons of windows.
>>
>>54024110
I really never used the search feature in Windows when I had Windows on my computer. Does it check if what you type is anywhere in the program name or does it just compare from the beginning of the program name. As in If I type in "text" will it bring up a programs called "edittext" and "texteditor" or just "texteditor"?
>>
>>54024248

Cortana has made searching a lot better, it will list folders, files, and programs that match the name. If you have a shitty cpu it will take awhile however.
>>
>>54024276
>cortana
Why would you send your search to the internet and allow the NSA to see it?
>>
>>54024276
>Cortana
And how is the search functionality when you don't have Windows set up to send all your searches to Microsoft?
>>
ITT:
>using the terminal to search and easy access is lame, fucking nerds, just use icons...
>use the Windows 10[tm] search function, icons are inefficient

I hate windows users.
>>
>>54024298
Because I'm not searching anything illegal. You can also disable that feature.
>>
>>54024248
For most things it will list anything that contains the text, thought it inexplicably doesn't from time to time. For example, it would usually show edittext, but when I search 'tox', it doesn't show qTox. There must be some algorithm that it's not fulfilling.
>>54024314
Fuck you, I use KDE's search primarily.
>>
>>54024300
Identical. Search was rebranded as Cortana even if you disable Cortana.
>>
>>54022420
WHy bother memorizing when a computer can assume that task?
>>
>>54024328
>Because I'm not searching anything illegal.
>filenames can be illegal
When will this dystopia end?
>>
File: 1436200565980s.jpg (3 KB, 125x119) Image search: [Google]
1436200565980s.jpg
3 KB, 125x119
>>54022437
>>54022948

good luck finding .exe files outside of your installed programs
>>
Windows: win key & type
Mac: cmd+space & type

everything else is too slow
>>
>>54024349
it's quicker and easier to just use your keyboard rather than minimize your windows and find the right shortcut on a messy desktop

>>54022427
this is the correct way
>>
>>54024338
Thanks, I didn't get into using a search function for starting programs until recently when I tried dmenu.

>>54024349
Doing it yourself is still faster.
>>
>>54024398
I have to press a single key to visualize desktop icons and they're sorted by type, then alphabetical order within type, so it's damn easy to find w/e I need.

Alongside your way, icons are just an useful addition.
>>
File: pepe-reee.png (135 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
pepe-reee.png
135 KB, 900x900
>>54022427
>>54024398
>just use the terminal lol

NOT EVERYONE IS AUTISTIC AND NEEDS TO FEEL SUPERIOR

STOP SHOWING YOUR FUCKING INEFFICIENT, SLOW AND BACKWARDS WAY OF COMPUTING DOWN OUR THROATS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

It's not the seventies anymore, just use the fucking mouse.... Fucking autismo lords.
>>
>>54024471
the terminal is much more efficient than gui if you actually know what you're doing. anyone who thinks otherwise probably shouldn't be here.
>>
>>54024514
This is mostly true, but not universally valid - there are some cases where GUI is ideal - but even them are subjective and it's up to the user to figure out which - using terminal for everything from start is the ideal option with occasional gui use where it helps save time.
>>
>>54024387
delete this
>>
Using the terminal is only valid if PATH variables are set-up, otherwise it's just cd cd cd cd cd dir cd dir cd unless I am missing something.
>>
>>54024387
What do you mean? I just searched for ".exe" and it listed exe files from my downloads folder
>>
>>54024622
>cd cd cd
You know you can type the entire path in one go, it even autocompletes.

In addition, why would you just not store everything flat in your home dir?

Also, programs and executables are already located in directories pointed to by your PATH environment variable.
>>
>>54024668
Do you actually remember the various paths of all the shit you need to access at various times?
>>
>>54024644
can you search for them by name?

They may have fixed it, I upgraded to windows 7 a couple months ago. Used to be that even with full indexing all .exe files outside of program files were unsearchable, even with full indexing.
>>
>>54024700
>Do you actually remember the various paths of all the shit you need to access at various times?
As I said, non-program files are stored all directly in my two-level directory structure

Programs are in /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin etc and other directories in my PATH.

So yeah, I remember the path. I just type the first two letters, tab-complete, next letter, tab-complete and then I sometimes have to do an list dir.
>>
Theoretically speaking, the most efficient and fastest way to access applications is with one click or one keystroke, which is why it pays to have all frequently accessed applications either shortcutted to the desktop (which looks messy) or quick linked to the taskbar (iOS and Windows).

You can append frequently used folders (system32, drivers, windows, program files) to the file explorer in windows which is also pretty nice.

For accessing infrequently used applications, Launchy is probably the best for that. It's nice to have to get to windows calculator and you just type "calc" in and press enter, or getting to the mouse settings window and literally just typing "m".

I've been trying to integrate Dragon NaturallySpeaking into my daily computer activities as well. Luckily I also have a desktop microphone to use with it and it works well, around 95% accurate.
>>
>>54025073

I am also researching eye tracking devices for doing most of the work when mousing, and will probably be the default standard for desktop, tablet, and laptop computing. The main problem is that the human eye is quite twitchy, thus it is hard to pinpoint exactly where or what the eye ball is looking at.

Once advancements are made in this field, I guarantee that every laptop and tablet will come with an eye tracking camera for navigating the UI..
>>
>>54025073
this guy gets it

it's not a matter of being familiar with the command line.
>>
>>54022427
9/10
>>
>>54024389
>windows tile screen takes 5 sec to load properlt
Yeah no

File manager > favorites have 99% of stuff you use > 1-2 more clicks to subfolder/file
>>
>>54024862
>I have no folder structure whatsoever so I can access my files by terminal because it satisfies my autism
Wew
>>
alt+tab to terminal
gvim myseekretstuff/myplans/worlddomination.txt
>>
>>54025285
>two-level structure = no structure
>workflow resulting from years of using openbox and linux = autism
Kill yourself
>>
>>54025332
>not .mysecretstuff
>>
>>54025357
>two level structure
>/ruby_projects/project_chess/class_game_controller_helper.RB
>>
a e s t h e t i c s > usability
>>
>>54022420
delete this
>>
>>54024398
Fuck you, retard! The desktop exist for a motive, to be used. Fucking dumb idiotic moron...
>>
>>54026712
incorrect. the desktop exists because of dumb retards who can't into cli
>>
>>54022406
There is absolutelly nothing wrong with icons in desktop. This is a dumb /g/ meme. Like that one that you can't use the mouse do to things.
>>
It doesn't look as nice, but that doesn't matter. If you know everything there and it's how you want to use it, that's fine. The problem is when people put everything on it, and then spend whole minutes awkwardly searching for one thing among it. The taskbar has tons of space for the most used programs, and the start menu can be quicker to get to if there's windows open, though.

But just do what you want. You're the one who uses your computer.
>>
>>54026730
>source: my arse
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.