[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vr Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: htc-vive_0.jpg (259 KB, 2048x1281) Image search: [Google]
htc-vive_0.jpg
259 KB, 2048x1281
If my computer is sub par, can I still use a vive for the non-games and simple stuff like virtual theaters or vr YouTube videos?

I'm using a GTX 760 and a i5. When I did a "vr ready" vive check it said my graphics card was underpowered but when I did a oculus check it said the graphics card was fine but my processor want good enough.

Also, do I need to set up the cameras and shit if I'm doing that? It seems like a pain in the ass for using it for such simple stuff.

Thanks for the help in advance
>>
>>54011373
instead of investing 800 dollars in first gen vr you should invest that money in a better pc. u will get a sub par experience anyway. vr is worth the wait bro
>>
>>54011398
I was considering that. I'm gonna keep the thread alive though for an answer anyway
>>
File: 1427086644254.png (150 KB, 262x451) Image search: [Google]
1427086644254.png
150 KB, 262x451
>>54011583
vr isnt anything but dual monitors and motion detection. any toaster should be capable desu.
>>
>>54011648
as long as the toaster outputs 90FPS, should be fine.
>>
>>54011678
anything less than that isnt even a toaster, its probably closer to some sticks and rocks.
>>
I ran the vive steamvr test, it said my i5 3570k was fine (I have it overclocked) but my radeon hd 7970 3gb wasn't good enough. I'm gonna wait until second gen comes out and the new gpus are around and then build a beast ass computer and get the 2nd gen vive more than likely. If you really want VR you could sell your 960 and get a 970 (which is the bare minimum requirements). Personally I wouldn't buy an $800 vr headset if my whole computer wasn't a beast, also consider that second gen will be much much better... look at anything tech related, monitors, ssds, the iphone, android phones, all of the original versions that came out are complete shit compared to gen 2/3/4/5 etc.
>>
>>54011770
>>54011398
For whatever reason I have it etched into my head that vr isn't going to pick up and get a second gen
>>
>>54011648
Is this true? So any game I can run natively on my current computer would run just as well in vr?
>>
>>54011373
If it's just to use virtual theatres, you might be ok. I can't say for sure. You'll probably have dropped frames, but both Vive and Rift will probably compensate for that with ATW (and the Vive equivalent). And since you're just watching videos (24fps-60fps) you probably won't notice any dropped/timewarped frames.

What i5 do you have? You'll probably be fine; CPU is really not the big bottleneck. You'll probably be able to run some of the tech demos made during the DK2 era, but you'll have to go in with your expectations managed for poor quality/performance.

That all said, I don't know if it's a good idea for you to buy the headset just for virtual cinemas. The quality isn't the greatest for that (relatively low resolution, screen door effect).

Even if you can run them without the cameras (you can do so with Oculus; I don't know about Vive), you will want to setup the cameras/lighthouses regardless because they'll track your head's movement (not rotation). With just rotation, it can be nauseating because your head doesn't rotate in a vacuum without translating. Or if you have subtle or significant movements, it can conflict with your vestibular system (inner ear motion sensing). Your ears will be telling you that your moving, but your eyes will be telling you that you're still.

Setting up the Rift camera is trivial, so just do it -- it's one single USB port and a camera stand on your desk (or anywhere facing you). Not sure if you have to setup both Vive's Lighthouse stations or not; maybe you can just do one. (I would assume so, but don't quote me) Lighthouses are just a box you place somewhere that can see you (even if it's on the ground) and plug it in.

If you're taking the time to buy a $600-800 dollar VR system, take the 2 minutes to set it up proper.
>>
>>54011918
Oh, also, if you plan on just watching videos in it, consider getting a Rift instead. It's cheaper (since you won't be using motion controls), comes with a simple device for video controls (or wireless XBone controller if you prefer that), and a far more comfortable headset. Much more comfortable wearing it for long periods of time (like a movie) than Vive.

Alternatively, again for virtual cinema, consider using GearVR (if you happen to have a Galaxy S6/7 phone), or maybe even try Google Cardboard. Cardboard won't be great, but it might be enough to scratch your itch.
>>
File: M2JVVbH.jpg (17 KB, 400x450) Image search: [Google]
M2JVVbH.jpg
17 KB, 400x450
>>54012003
Here's the "Simple Input Device" (SID) that makes it easy to control virtual cinemas.
>>
>>54011398
>vive 2nd gen panders to normal fags with aesthetic design that look aerodynamic and shit
>>
>>54011846
I develop for Oculus DK2. VR is here to stay. It's going to open a whole new genre/market of content just as smartphones did. It's still in its enthusiast stages, but all the big players are behind it, and both NVidia and AMD have invested significant work adding VR tech into their GPUs/drivers.

Probably the biggest thing is that the technology (both from a computer hardware perspective and the headset perspective) has finally reached a point where it's consumer-viable. ~$2000 is enough to get you a headset and a decent rig to run it.

But hey, if you're right and it doesn't pick up, then joke's on me. If you're wrong, then you get to pick up a second gen headset. :)
>>
>>54012096
>Look, Vive Gen 2!
>Improved aerodynamics to minimize air resistance while you walk around teh room scales.
>Feel like I'm walking on air
>>
>>54011846

It has to, even 3D TV had like 2 or 3 generations and VR is way fucking cooler than that shit.
>>
What can I expect from one of the phone adapters?
>>
>>54011856
not just as well, but it would probably run okay. most VR games on the store either automatically adjust for you gpu or arent very demanding to begin with.
>>
File: Nintendo-Virtual-Boy.jpg (43 KB, 600x431) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo-Virtual-Boy.jpg
43 KB, 600x431
>>54011846
This IS the second gen, if not third or fourth.

Smartphones and tablet computers also existed in the 90s.

It's just at some point a magic threshold is crossed and people actually start caring.
>>
>>54012487
I'll be honest, from a general VR perspective, it's pretty shit and really easy to "poison the well". They do "ok" for viewing 360 degree video or pictures, but otherwise kind of shit. Lots of lag time translating your head movements, and most phones lack the horsepower to do anything worthwhile. That said, you're only paying ~$10-20 for the cardboard cutouts so you get what you pay for (vs $200 for GearVR, or $600-800 for Rift/Vive)

At best, they'll give you an idea of what a real VR headset might be able to do if you have an open, non-autistic, mind.

The exception is the Samsung GearVR which uses Oculus IMUs and asynchronous timewarp; that phone/headset is actually pretty good (still not as good as the Rift CV1 or Vive though). Much better resolution and latency for video/netflix watching.
>>
Preordered 6:05 minutes in, got a March shipping date, and my order was just delayed another month.
Fuck you Oculus
>>
>>54012487
>>54012568
Oh, also the Cardboard optics/lenses are pretty much shit, usually plastic. Nothing compared to the lenses used in the Oculus dev kits, let alone the fantastic lenses in the Rift/Vive.
>>
>>54012583
Yeah, it fucking sucks. Clearly something has fucked up on the manufacturing/supply side somewhere. But hey, let's all get the pitchforks right? At least Oculus has pretty much jump started the VR revolution. I'm sure it would have come eventually, but I'm pretty sure they got it here sooner than if they didn't exist at all.

> fuck you Oculus for getting me my shit 2 months late
> fuck you Oculus for making this shit exist at all
>>
>>54012639
Honestly VR would probably have been better off had they not rushed things. Launching with a controller is frankly ridiculous and the games aren't even that good. Then you have the Vive that did launch with motion controls but still feels rough around the edges and nothing substantial made for it yet.

I mean it's still cool as it is now but VR needs far more R&D than. We need wireless, higher res displays, tracking beyond controllers, foveated rendering, and at a far lower price point.
>>
>>54012293
>all the big players are behind it,
Except for any major game developer. Nobody wants to make the leap to make a killer app for the bloody things.

>consumer-viable.
>$2000
60% of PCs on Steam are running sub 1080p resolutions.
Of the remaining 40%, 36% are running 1080p.
75-85% of PCs on Steam have under 4GB of VRAM.
How about no?
>>
>>54012842
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-all-the-game-devs-supporting-playstation-vr/1100-6435701/
>>
>>54012909
Fair point, I keep forgetting that thing exists.
>>
>>54012487

Absolutely GOAT fapping experiences for the price. I got a Fiit VR yesterday for $35 with remote and some naughty america vr videos and holy fucking shit its great.

The videos have an immersive 3D effect and it feels like you could reach out and slap the hoes. But pixel density and calibration can be an issue
>>
>>54012314
I am sure a good deal of /g/ likes to take the piss out of Apple, but we need the normies fund all the same to make VR a blast.

Mass economy at its finest.
>>
>>54012717
>I want gen "x" to be the standard, they shouldnt have rushed something 20 years in the making

as nice as that would be, its not viable. they rushed cars, film, TVs and numerous other consumer technologies in orger to get attention to them and make it to market faster. all of the the things you want are available, but dont have a spotlight. them pushing VR when the base components are viable (madels t's mpg, first tube tv's size, ect) means emphasis will be put on the not perfect aspects of what i would call "basic VR".

No its nto perfect by any means, but soon we'll have those things because they will be in demand.

yeah that'd be great
>>
OP
Have you watched the videos from giant bomb on YouTube about the rift and vive? Do that, because it is very disappointing. VR now is basically 3D gimmick with wii level game play.
>>
>>54011856
absolutely fucking not. you're rendering the game twice at 1080x1080 each, and NEED to hit 90fps.
>>
>>54013476
For one, Giant Bomb on that stream seemed like the least enthusiastic people I've ever seen, and for another, seeing as both headsets only launched in the last few weeks, and for the Vive at least have only had devs working on them for less than a year, there are a handful of really good and interesting experiences, and a clusterfuck of shitty one-man-army indie games that people rushed to release to earn a quick buck in the hype. The Giant Bomb stream seemed so disappointing because they played a couple of good games, and heaps of really shitty half completed things, which made them even more jaded after hours straight of that.
Watch videos from Tested, Node, TribalInstincts or a variety of other channels if you want to get a better idea of what a lot of VR games are like at this point.
Or read any of the reviews from TomsHardware, Time, ArsTechnica or any of the others and see what they rate the Vive.
>>54014017
1200x1080*
Toms Hardware did a bunch of benchmarks in their Vive review with different GPUs, and from that it looks like you need at least a 290 to hit 90FPS more than 90% of the time for most games. Some need more.
>>
>>54013476
Apart from a bunch of shitty half completed games from random Indie devs I've never heard of, the biggest problem they seemed to have was a lack of some type of tutorial, so they didn't know how to actually do anything, which is a design flaw in the game, but they were mostly early access. So they didn't do a very good job of showing them off, though you can't blame them for a fair few.
>>
these FAGGOTS at oculus need to SHIP my FUCKING KEKULUS ALREADY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>ETA March Shipping date
>New ETA is May 2nd
FUCK YOU KEKULUS
>>
>>54014260
Gotta be first VR to market, even if you're setting up the consumers for disappointment.
>>
>>54014260
>buying zuckercuck's fagbook vr machine
u dun goofed
>>
>>54012909
How do people think this thing isn't going to be way more successful than the PC VR? Jesus, why didn't Valve do this?
>>
>>54014659
I'd be surprised if it didn't suck. The ps4 is a potato of a system which is why rumors of a ps4.5 coming out have been the new thing. It's going to be low res or low frame rate, there's no way around it if they want it to be cheap. It will be babbys first vr.
>>
>>54014659

The ps4's shit hardware can't even begin to run a decent looking VR game at a decent frame rate/resolution.

Something has to give. Either you need to purchase some kind of aditional hardware or they are going dumb games even worse than Wii level graphics.

Either way it will probably still be popular, though I doubt it would ever see a second generation and I would never put it in the same category as vive and rift.
>>
>>54014885
Its coming with a processor expansion
>>
>>54014906

Nah, I doubt it. It's gonna come with a breakout box which could split the image if anything
>>
File: lister.jpg (121 KB, 640x428) Image search: [Google]
lister.jpg
121 KB, 640x428
>>54013476
I think VR will be worth it unlike Wii/Kinect, not just because its a totally different and superior experience, but because the platform is completely open and kept in the public eye by steam.

Even if the numbers are too low for AAA investment right now, we'll get a constant stream of indie productions and its almost inevitable that out of those dozens of games a real gem or two will arise. Something to highlight VR while providing more than a tech demo's worth of content.
>>
File: 14521039218250.jpg (20 KB, 310x342) Image search: [Google]
14521039218250.jpg
20 KB, 310x342
>VR
>>
>>54012096
Vive's only real problem for gen1 is the ergonomics. It's very front heavy.

All in all though, its fucking awesome.
>>
>>54013476
Those giant bomb guys are the most boring sacks of shit ever.
>>
>>54016966
Yeah I am worried about the strap, hopefully some third party designs a better strap. it looks easy to replace, there are already decent third party covers out there but I am holding out on it to see how the stock ones fare.

Third party motion controllers and peripherals using lighthouse tracking should be interesting as well.

I am jumping into this way to early, I've been pretty excited about the tech ever since I got to try the DK1 and waiting for a decent commercial version ever since.

Ergonomics aside Vive looks great, particularly the tracking system. I am itching for higher resolution displays, eye tracking, and a 3D grip haptic system for the motion controllers similar to tactical haptics.

May can't come any sooner, though seeing the way shipping has been going lately I might end up getting my HMD in June at this rate.
>>
>>54016966
I've read that almost everyone put it on wrong and too low and once they got it right it was much more comfortable.
>>
>>54018937
Nothing of shipping is wrong, people just misunderstood and thought april means at the start of april.

If your order says may, then they'll ship it before the 31st of may.
HTC confirmed this multiple times already.
>>
>>54019028
Fingers crossed early may, they could have ramped up production to meet the initial spike in demand by then.

I am curious to see some sales figures for both HMDs.
>>
>>54011373
>simple stuff like virtual theaters or vr YouTube videos
I guarantee you will regret it if you buy it for that.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.