[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion on the internet back then vs the internet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 25
File: 1457454328219.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1457454328219.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Does anyone else feels that the internet in general has gone to shit?

I started coming here (the internet, not 4chan) around 2000 and I really enjoyed logging in and just hanging out. The internet was full of interesting things to do, even meaningless conversation with strangers was very entertaining.

Nowadays I keep coming back everyday but its more like a reflex rather than being satisfied with it. I haven't had any interesting experience on the web for like maybe 4 years or so.

Games had gone shit, both in gameplay quality and their community everything now is "press X to win, if you are not able to press X just pay $5" that and "I'm a gurrrlll hehehe".

Most blogs now are full of idiotic posts. They are not a throve of information anymore, they are instead full of shallow content targeted towards people that appears to have severe mental deficiencies. Example: a blog about cars posting shit like "cars have 4 wheels", a blog about computers with "Let's build your first computer, go to dell.com ®©TM, click on "configure my computer", start adding everything you need, AIN'T THAT COOL, WE ALL CAN DO IT COME ON!"; and yeah the obligatory "check out these guuurrrlllss" post once in a while.

I use to log into some chat rooms here and there but now that activity has mostly dissapeared, there are no online communities like back then and the very few are full of bots and losers trying to get laid. Yeah, I know IRC is still kicking but last time I logged in there were so many fucking SJWs in the channel that I was reprimended for saying "hey guys", because "guys" implies sexism, for real, in a fucking #programming community that used to have amazing discussions.

>pic related: I think that's what happened...
>>
>>53995284

Stackoverflow started as a great community but now has become stale, full of stupid questions and if you dare ask something that's not "how do I turn on computer LOL" you'll get your question closed because it's not "on topic". Apparently "not on topic" now means "I'm too stupid to understand what you're trying to ask so I'll make it look like the problem is yours".

Even 4chan sucks now with this stupid chink changing f a m -> desu and captchas everywhere so that it could take a out a few bucks with the fucking passes. And about captchas, fucking cloudflare (lots of websites are in here) is now making you solve a fucking captcha in order to see a webpage, "so they could protect against DDoS". How would've thought, back in the day, that you would type www.something.com and had to solve a stupid puzzle in order to even see what the site is about, and yeah, of course, pretty soon those stupid checkpoints will print a fucking ad on you.

What the fuck happened, the internet was the greatest thing humanity could achieve at that moment and now all that its gone for good.
>>
>>53995284

by 2000 it was already beyond hope, once the masses arrived via m$ it was september all the time. it never recovered. i weep for usenet! for comp.unix.wizards!
>>
We just need to make our own internet...
>>
>Not getting your amateur radio license and using BBS over UHF
Skrub
>>
>>53995630
I'll make a logo
>>
>>53995289
>4chan sucks now with this stupid chink
t͏bh that's only because you're new

>>53996138
I'll get started on the name
>>
>>53995289
Word filtering the cancer was a god send.
>>
>>53996179
>freenet

Oh that one's taken
>>
>>53995472
Wake me up when september ends
>>
fuck no, of course the internet is better now.

you dont have to pay by the minute or risk getting in trouble generating fake mastercard numbers to dial in with a 56k modem just to get random disconnects, or try to play quake with a 300 ping.

you actually have websites with real content that arent geocities under construction pieces of shit

you actually have search engines that can find what you want.

nice try kiddo, go back to /r/videogames or wherever you came from because i sure as shit am not going to play along
>>
>>53996948
the only fair point you made is the speed and no disconnects one, other than those

>you dont have to pay by the minute or risk getting in trouble generating fake mastercard numbers
for real? this never happened, actually REAL internet access is now super shitty, navigate to a page that's not facebook, youtube, etc... and you'll see your true speed, also we may not pay by the minute but now you pay by the MB, fuck that

>you actually have websites with real content that arent geocities under construction pieces of shit
I listed 5 different examples that are not geocities, your argument is stupid, also show me the websites with real content shill

>you actually have search engines that can find what you want
Oh come on, 2000 Google was waaaay better than the shit that we use right now. You have to be a retard to not have noticed how bullshit content that generates money/pageviews is conveniently promoted to the top of search results, while meaningful results appear at page 3/4. You even had some "advanced commands" to search more accurately, all of them removed now because y'know the sheeple does not deserve better.

>go back to /r/videogames
Fuck reddit, their users are exactly the people that are responsible for the fall of the internet. It's part of the media now, it's no longer a resource for knowledge or human interaction, it's just fodder for the masses, like your stupid subreddit and your fucking overplayed memes that were never funny.
>>
Everybody has retreated to Facebook and tumblr.
>>
>>53995284
It was better, before you required some knowledge to be online. Now every idiot and his mom is online it's too easy.
>>
>>53995284
I realized today that the modern cancer of feminism and womens rights is due to the internet. The internet gives these fat ugly whores a voice. In the past no one would have allowed them to speak in public. Fucking sucks. I miss the old days when ugly women were invisible in society.
>>
>>53995284
>Games had gone shit, both in gameplay quality and their community everything now is "press X to win, if you are not able to press X just pay $5"

You are a moron.
>>
File: 7af.png (253 KB, 680x383) Image search: [Google]
7af.png
253 KB, 680x383
>>53995472
No the shitstorm arrived around 2010, when social media became popular for some reason. Then the internet was fucked
>>
>>53995284
bamp
>>
My theory is that an overwhelming amount of traffic is being herded into Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc. and because it is easier (and design to trick you) to spend ridiculous amounts of time there, people aren't as interested in surfing the net like they used to. Instead of spending an hour hopping from website to website and finding seven or eight neat things, they can scroll down their feed and quickly discern whether something is interesting or not, and find more neat things in a shorter time.
Communities are few and far between, and most are not friendly to new people, as they have probably been around for ages now and matured to the point where a flux of new users can dilute it and lead to its demise.
There are still a few obscure textboards I frequent, but most are not nearly as active as they used to be before normies+social media became the overwhelming majority of internet users almost overnight with the advent of smartphones.
>>
consumer/private internet was a mistake
>>
File: 1453543013468.jpg (827 KB, 900x2002) Image search: [Google]
1453543013468.jpg
827 KB, 900x2002
>>54000007
>My theory is that an overwhelming amount of traffic is being herded into Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc. and because it is easier (and design to trick you) to spend ridiculous amounts of time there, people aren't as interested in surfing the net like they used to. Instead of spending an hour hopping from website to website and finding seven or eight neat things, they can scroll down their feed and quickly discern whether something is interesting or not, and find more neat things in a shorter time.
>Communities are few and far between, and most are not friendly to new people, as they have probably been around for ages now and matured to the point where a flux of new users can dilute it and lead to its demise.
>There are still a few obscure textboards I frequent, but most are not nearly as

You hit the nail on the head, gentrification happened which made the internet shittier. This trend happened long before this image, but here is a look at what has happened in a few short years.
>>
File: 1459229476400.gif (662 KB, 800x528) Image search: [Google]
1459229476400.gif
662 KB, 800x528
>>54000617
Worst thing is, we can't do anything about it anymore, the best years of the internet are over.
>>
>>54000007
Social meadia and smartphones killed the Internet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/04/11/how-facebook-is-slowly-eating-the-rest-of-the-internet/
>>
File: ModernNet.png (494 KB, 1000x2000) Image search: [Google]
ModernNet.png
494 KB, 1000x2000
overall this comic
>>
And that's why I come here to post pictures of gore.
>>
>>54000617
Can we get our internet back?!
>>
>>53997478
Yeah, give an example of an AAA game that is not utter shit from the last 5 years. I may even go as far as 10 years.

There will never be another Diablo II, Starcraft, CS, etc... I'm not being nostalgic, the alternatives now suck, Diablo 3 = shit, Starcraft 2 = not shit, but not better than 1, CS:GO = basically the same thing with better graphics and the very few modifications they made are terrible.

DOTA was the fucking shittiest custom scenario in Starcraft/Warcraft servers but it was always full of fucking brazillians and other retard-kin, they kind of ruined battle.net with their "popularity" because plebs started losing interest in playing other things that weren't DOTA, the last days of SC/WC3 you logged in and there were like 400 DOTA games and 3-4 misc. Now their shit spread outside there and everything is a fucking DOTA-like game, LOL, Paragon, etc... extremely boring to play but yeah I guess you love them, it's the fucking fodder that has been fed to millenials.
>>
>>54002555
AAA games and movies have both gone to shit because they're oversized financial investments. Art that you don't need huge amounts of money to make is flourishing right now due to the sheer number of geniuses that exist with unprecedented access to recourses. But the two hundred million dollar investments and the like are just cultural slush.
>>
honestly just kill yourself
>>
Now most of the enterprises are owned by jews.
>>
>>53995284
SJWs are the symptom, not the illness.

The illness is shit like smartphones supplanting netbooks and making constant internet access ubiquitous, and pushing further integration of online and real life.

I'm not going to say normal people using the internet ruined it, but the way they use it now compared to "back then" or even in the early 2010s (until 2012 i'd say) has done so.
>>
>>53996948
>you dont have to pay by the minute
Didn't have to in 2007.
>you actually have websites with real content that arent geocities under construction pieces of shit
Again, 2007.
>you actually have search engines that can find what you want.
THE CURRENT YEAR MINUS NINE
>>
>>53995284
Internet technology belongs on /g/

Internet culture does not

Fuck off back to /pol/ with your jew shit
>>
File: 1437311370094.jpg (2 MB, 3624x2996) Image search: [Google]
1437311370094.jpg
2 MB, 3624x2996
>>54000617
autism graphics that tell you everything you need to know
>>
>>54005495
>Internet technology belongs on /g/
So what you think of the technology of the past internet?

Personally I believe that while lagging behind in most areas around 2007, website usability was often better due to reduced amounts of pointless javascript and sites designed for desktop machines instead of smartphones. This was of course balanced out by the lurking geocities-tier sites or sites entirely made of .sfw files.
>>
File: _20160401_181322.jpg (300 KB, 1080x1379) Image search: [Google]
_20160401_181322.jpg
300 KB, 1080x1379
>>54005495
Say whatever you think, but deep down you know the OP image is true.
>>
>>53995284
Probably visited the internet around 2001

Back then it was glorious, bestiality was easy to get, glorious flash sites, free indie games of good quality, a place to relax. Nowadays it's all professionalism and no fun allowed
>>
>>54005579
>tha tlittle X
are you on a fucking smartphone anon
are you that much of a fucking hypocrite
>>
>>54005579
Discussing the j00s day in and day out is getting tiring.

>>54005560
>So what you think of the technology of the past internet?
Is bretty gud how they've cobbled together a bunch of ancient protocols that still drive most of the Internet. Modern routers are pretty amazing though.

>Personally I believe that while lagging behind in most areas around 2007, website usability was often better due to reduced amounts of pointless javascript and sites designed for desktop machines instead of smartphones. This was of course balanced out by the lurking geocities-tier sites or sites entirely made of .sfw files.
Oh, you were talking about application layer specifics...
>>
File: 1459135395664.jpg (49 KB, 634x409) Image search: [Google]
1459135395664.jpg
49 KB, 634x409
>>54005593
>>
>>54005579
I don't follow.

What do the Jewish people possibly have to gain from this, and what does race mixing have to do with the decline of the internet?
>>
File: 1460067622271.gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1460067622271.gif
1 MB, 480x270
>>53995630
I'll be the ideas guy.
>>
>>54005747
Lizard people. It's a plot by alien lizard people.
>>
>>53995284
>What's your opinion on the internet back then vs the internet today?

It was definitely better way back then.
Content aside, I liked the speed. Even though technology wasn't as good, websites loaded faster because most pages were static. Dynamic websites are an abomination full of bloat and viruses.
>>
>>54005747
They don't gain directly from it, it was collateral damage.

The "Jewish people" or whatever term you want to use to refer to the ones that control the world turned the internet into what it is today to maximize profits and cultural control. Wether it was the jews or not, that's debatable and yeah it belongs to /pol/, but the point that the internet went to shit when it became "consumerized" is true from whatever standpoint you want to look at it.
>>
>>54006256
>the point that the internet went to shit when it became "consumerized" is true from whatever standpoint you want to look at it.

This may be true but you don't need an evil faceless force like the elites to explain it. Businesses will try to make a profit all on their own anyway, so it's only logical it became what it was. No, rather, it was inevitable this would happen.
The only solution I can think of is to remove normies from the internet. We need a return to the time when we had static pages, a diverse set of websites, and when google wasn't fucking everyone up the ass. We also need to, as much as I hate to say it, a return to the time when MS was the dominant software company in the world. Imagine a corporate giant several times bigger than google but substantially more aggressive. It lead a lot of innovations with their lead on games and diverse set of software since everybody used it. It'd be best for Linux to be the main platform of choice but unfortunately everyone knows that this is impossible.
>>
>>53995284
Problem with internet is you cant get lost anymore.
you depend on one of few search engines spit out, but that is not even a tip of the iceberg(leave whole deepweb bullshit on the side).

Internet now is literally like IDK center of New York in the middle of day, you have your huge buildings , huge commercials everywhere, there are small alleys you can end up but even there it smells on some corporation.

Before, internet was literally you drunk and alone, left in bad part of Punjarmabad in the middle of the night, you dont know the language,you have 1000$ bill(that shines in dark) glued on your forehead you cant get off, there is a shitload of naked ladies around you , but you have a creepy feeling they are actually guys.

Shittiest part is, this new internet is much more malicious than the old one, you can literally get killed(at worse, at best you will be ashamed or your life ruined) over the net if you dont watch what you say or do, and this is not bullshit.

What makes me sad is most people still think google and facebook are internet.
>>
It sucks nobody wants to steal shit anymore.
>>
>>54006443
>Imagine a corporate giant several times bigger than google
That was mostly proportionally.

The thing I hate about Google the most is how widely they are spread.
E-Mail? G-Mail.
Video? Youtube
Search engine? Google
Image search engine? Google Images
Social network? Google+ (Don't want to use it? you need it for youtube, hahahaha :^) )
Laptop OS? Chrome OS
Phone OS? Android
Browser? Google Chrome
Maps? Google Maps
Advertising? Google Adsense
""Cloud"" storage? Google Drive
App store, Ebooks, Music, etc? Google Play
Translator? Google Translate
News aggregation? Google News & Weather
1984 tribute act? The entire company, but emphasis on Glass.

And that's just off the top of my head. The kind of integration this allows for the end user, not concerned with privacy, makes fair competition almost impossible. Switching costs are too high.
>>
>>54000617
Time to go back to BBS.
>>
>Nowadays I keep coming back everyday but its more like a reflex rather than being satisfied with it. I haven't had any interesting experience on the web for like maybe 4 years or so.

This. There's nothing interesting anymore on the internet; nothing worth doing, nothing really worth reading outside of hand-picked excerpts found by friends and other people I trust. Lot of people with big mouths but nothing of value to say, that's what I've learned from everytime someone posts something from Twitter or Medium or any of these not-mainstream news websites, and even then.

I don't know what it's been over the past year or so, but I really get now more than ever what "eternal september" meant to the Usenet community.

>Shittiest part is, this new internet is much more malicious than the old one, you can literally get killed(at worse, at best you will be ashamed or your life ruined) over the net if you dont watch what you say or do, and this is not bullshit.

This too.
>>
>>54006990
>but I really get now more than ever what "eternal september" meant to the Usenet community.

Same.

I used to think it was the 4chan "summer" thing, but now I get what they were REALLY talking about.
>>
The world really did end in 2012.
This is hell. People just haven't realized it yet.
>>
>>53995284
It's not the Internet that has gone to shit, it's that the culture has. SJWs rule the world, crybaby libtards create bleeding heart problems that would make countries with real problems grimace. Cyber bullying? Sexism in video games? These topics changed the landscape. The invention of Twitter and Facebook also took us another notch lower in terms of IQ and attention spans. Millennials can't pay attention to anything for more than a few seconds which is why Tinder, Vine, Snapchat are popular. It's not you anon, it's the rest of the world.

>tfw you would dial in to get online back in the day
>tfw kids today can't sit still without opening their phones if 20 seconds goes by
>>
>>54007145
>he puts 'SJWs' before 'Twitter and Facebook' in his description of things that ruined the internet
>he blames "millennials" instead of the bastards who set them down the path of social-network use.
>he puts low attention spans before vanity in the reasons tinder, vine or snapchat are popular.

>kids today

people have always been horrible shits, anon, social networking just lets their vanity show clearly. take any generation and give them facebook and you'll have the exact same shit. grown adults, as in, 40 year olds, act like children and get pissy over who unfriended who.
>>
>>54005451
Pretty much. The overwhelming majority of people don't use the internet for anything useful, but rather as an extension of what they would otherwise be doing anyway. Which is to say socializing. Socializing is a default way that most people operate since humans are social animals, and it really requires no actual effort for most people.

Business realized this with the whole social media era and everything has gone to shit since.

>TLDR normies ruin everything
>>
>>54005747
it has been this way since slavery, i don't have sources but supposedly the Jewish slave traders would breed Irish slaves with west Africans to create hybrids that were a better worker, which is still desirable now by corporations, which are largely owned by Jews.
>>
>>54007145
>kids today can't sit still without opening their phones if 20 seconds goes by
This is a nervous tic on my part. I do it because it makes me look like I'm doing something instead of staring into space going "I wish I was at home shitposting on /g/" "My feet hurt" "These plebs use Windows 10".
>>
>>54007184
Hey this wasn't a prioritized list, next time I will put it in order to suit your autism. Undoubtedly I agree with you to an extent. If you go back and look at the internet in the late 90s it was still the wild west, now it's a normie fest filled with people that you wouldn't want to be around in real life. Sites like reddit promote censorship of speech and a sheep following mentality, slashdot is still good surprisingly, wired is filled with angry feminist lbgt trash writers, etc.

The one thing that I do enjoy about the current internet is the availability of getting computer hardware from a place like newegg. I remember ordering parts in early 2000 from several different sites to find decent prices and having to wait ages as it came from NY to the west coast. Speeds are better as well. 4chan is one of the few websites I still enjoy every time I get on, that's hard to accomplish.
>>
>>54007145
>It's not the Internet that has gone to shit

wat.js
>>
>>54007288
I remember reading a study of kids growing up saying that they agreed with censorship more than the previous generation. This is what we can expect, opinions to be discarded if you offend a fat fuck, a mentally ill lbgt person, a disgusting feminist, a faggy crossfitter or vegan, and so on.

The internet was more fun when not everyone had a face. Log into a chat room and start talking with randoms. Now everyone has an identity and a thirst for some of that youtube cash and adsense, that self-indulgent instagram / twitter / facebook / vine / snapchat feed. Absolutely disgusting, I can't wait for the next generation to realize what retards they are in old age and then watch things get worse when the group of people they produce are even worse.
>>
>>54007236
Do you have a citation for that?

Not snarky, I would love to read about it.
>>
Rather than whining because oft the losses you should promote a solution. >I vote something like the Internet but no access for Normies.
>ipfs anyone?
>>
>>54007366
to be honest while i'm against censorship on principle (to the point i'd take "shout fire in a crowded theatre" over excess censorship), in practical pragmatic reality i couldn't say i was strictly anti-censorship with a straight face because if censorship was an efficient means of meeting my goals (or simply shutting up those who get on my nerves, or bring up points that have been refuted a thousand times.) i'd probably resort to it.

i'm saying this primarily from a forum-moderator (i.e. the old traditional forum, not a megasite like reddit) perspective though, and i'll freely admit (unlike SJWS) there's no consistent moral code behind it: i may support individuals (other than the state) censoring you in practical terms while being strongly against it on principle.
>>
File: evil.gif (2 MB, 400x220) Image search: [Google]
evil.gif
2 MB, 400x220
I'm so disenfranchised with the modern internet that it's really sad.

There's so many things both on the technical and social side that just is not what I signed on for.

I know you have to accept that things change, but I just hate how everything changed all at once.

This must be what being a BBS user was like when the web became a mainstream and took over the BBS.

I know the web is still the web, but from the back end to the front there's something that has been lost.
>>
>>54000839
And who operate those? The normies. They killed the internet.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54000839
>slowly

are they being fucking serious. Nothing about what facebook is doing is slow, literally only governments can slow them down.
>>
>>54007446
>actually falling for stormfront recruiting

OK you're already on 4chan, so you're clearly not a bright individual, but please have some standards.
>>
Been around since the 90s.
Have fond memories like your great grandparents have of the 1920s, but I wouldn't want to go back to that era.
>>
you're not the internet you don't get to die
>>
>>53996113
Wouldn't the lag be crazy?
>>
One of the worst threads ive seen. You dont have the faintest idea what the internet is.

The internet you long for was when you and a few other underage idiots could say fag in a chatrooom and giggle about it.

The internet we have now literally drives world commerce, has revolutionized countless industries, has led to actual fucking political uprisings, and has accelerated scientific progress.
>>
>>53996893
Weebnet
>>
>>54005747
It's accelerating the push toward globalization above all else.

The thing you have to realize about the highest upper class people who virtually run the world, which are mostly Jewish, is that they are obsessed with control. If they could enslave every man, woman and child on earth, they would. And you might laugh and say well that's impossible, why be worried? Well in the world we live in there's a multitude of cultures, races, identities, etc. The more diversified your world, the more ideals to explore and potential to grown you have available. The initial stages of the internet created an onslaught of what I guess you could call a truth era. Ideas were freely expressed, there was minimal government and cooperate influence.

Of course, if youre main goal is to control the masses, this new communication tool is a big problem for you. Having people learning about the true state of the world is never a good thing, it leads to people forming their own ideas, rebellion, and revolution.

So instead of leaving the internet run by those who enjoy and embrace it, mass media propaganda, indirect censorship, the dumbing-down pro normie social media movement began. This occurred for two reasons. One was to suppress the free-thinking individuals who are comfortable challenging their cultural and societal values on the web. Two was to draw in the masses to further add to the conformity and expand mainstream culture to grotesque limits (this is why the popular music of our time is so shit, because it is not about free expression anymore, but a cookie cutter model for the average joe).

By mixing the cultures of the world together, one method being race mixing, individual ideologies of cultures are being suppressed to conform to this new tolerant, anti hate mindset. The Jews are trying to create one mindset, one culture, one economy, one race, and one way of life so that they can push the limits of much they can control the masses higher and higher.
>>
>>54012085
>drives world commerce
You can do huge amounts of this in the background anyway.
>has revolutionized countless industries
Many of them horrible things like datamining. Yay!
>has led to actual fucking political uprisings
All of which have either failed horribly, petered out, or are still pending success.
(Arab spring, OWS, Scottish Independence Campaigning.)
>and has accelerated scientific progress.
Again, this isn't incompatible with the internet of the past in theory.

It's foolish to say nothing good has come of it, but it's equally foolish to discard everything in the past out of hand thanks to a few modern advancements. It's entirely possible to have aspects of old *net culture restored while retaining e-commerce, rapid dissemination of news, and linking scientific institutions.
>>
>>54012312
>SPOT ON
>P
>O
>T
>
>O
>N
>>
>>54012312
>So instead of leaving the internet run by those who enjoy and embrace it, mass media propaganda, indirect censorship, the dumbing-down pro normie social media movement began.
None of this was as part of a cultural conspiracy.

It was business and nothing more. Most people WANTED it. We're in the minority to dislike it. We're right, but still the minority.

Most people genuinely can't see why using your real name for everything online might be a bad idea. Most people genuinely think "I've got nothing to hide" is an appropriate response to the information that advertising agencies data-mine them. Most people honestly believe that Google isn't evil.
>>
File: 1430498303487.gif (1 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1430498303487.gif
1 MB, 200x150
>>54012085
Can you be anything more cucked than that?

If one day you come back to your home and find your SO with a nigger dick, balls deep, just as he's pushing a big load into her pussy, then you apologize for interrupting and go down to the kitchen and make him some kind of dessert for the guy to thank him for giving pleasure to your wife... if that were to happen, I want to let you know that even that day, you wouldn't be as much as a cuck as the day when you wrote:

>The internet we have now literally drives world commerce, has revolutionized countless industries, has led to actual fucking political uprisings, and has accelerated scientific progress.
>>
>>54012604
>Most people believe that Apple was fighting against the government for your right to privacy.

That's right goyim, your next phone better be an iPhone, absolutely no surveillance there ;)
>>
>>54006924
>We live in a society where it's considered acceptable for one corporation to have it's fingers in so many pies, most of which are directly important in daily life.
>>
Internet is more accessible than ever now. Just you wait when every 3rd worlder can get on the internet for free. Then the saturation of shit will hit peak levels.

With all these normies getting on, internet is getting dumbed down.
>>
>>54012085
that is thanks to sites that are not bound to giants such as facebook.
look at the top 50 channels on youtube. they are all retarded niggers talking about retarded nigger shit
>>
>>54012085
in shit tier countries.
try to pull that kind of stunt in a first world country and facebook will be wiring your chatlogs directly to state-sec.
>>
>>54012693
>Just you wait when every 3rd worlder can get on the internet for free
This horrifies me. Not for "how much worse the internet will get" - It's already a writeoff, but because the internet will be almost inescapable in such circumstances. No longer will fleeing to a rural area in a poor country hold itself out as an option to escape the ever growing embrace of the social network.

Unless we can ramp up our space-travel until we're on a planet too distant for acceptable interplanetary internet speeds, that's the only hope we've got.
>>
I try to avoid this garbage but this one's hilarious on how absolutely perfect it is. My favourite part about this particular one is that you don't really list anything specific, most shits who spout this garbage always want to point out what device/service brought in all the "normies" - your post is just "Weellll I was here fiiiirst annnnd stuff chaaaaaanged and now it isn't as goooooood"

>2000
You are EXACTLY the target group of "Muh Eternal September" which is the previous iteration of your "I was here first, holier than thou" bullshit. Not like they're any better, but you got here late in the game so shut up.

>I haven't had any interesting experience
>"I"
Yes you certainly have not, because you grew up and are jacking it to your fucking nostalgia. Congrats. Other people have had interesting experience and have been having fun just fine since they don't try to always inject their made up age group shit into it.

>Retarded blog posts
They were there in 2000, you just ignored them. Remember Xanga? Geocities? Of course you don't, but you sure have the pages now as an archive - and hilariously you'll classify a completely shit page as "good" because it was made "during the time the web was good".

>MUUUUUUH IRCC it was sooo good back in the day but all the old guys have left
I'm sure you'll see this repeated soon for Facebook Messenger.

Anyway, you are NOT the shepherd of the internet just cause you showed up first, and you certainly showed up second. Fuck right off please! By the way, your remembrance posts don't do shit to help, nor does your nostalgia. The only ways that this can end for you is to accept that the web stayed the same and you grew up and got bitter - or you can form your same shitty private IRC / BBS circlejerk. Seen these before, just a bunch of gay "points" that their members made 10 years ago, and no you can't join the channel, we're better than you. And it all starts right here.
>>
>>54012986
>>54012693
/g/ is so morbidly, categorically anti-technology. Just join hands with the old people who can't learn computers already, and be free.

>"Information wants to be free"
>"internet access should be a human right"
>Okay we're about to give it to them
>No don't! The internet will be ruined if more people are here. I was here first!
>>
>>54013107
I have no problem people LEARNING technology.
The problem I have is nowadays people want the technology to CONFORM to them instead of learning it.
>>
File: simplecorp.jpg (33 KB, 400x297) Image search: [Google]
simplecorp.jpg
33 KB, 400x297
>>54008004
BBS didn't die, it evolved into forums.

>autism silence
>"Muh soul"
>"Muh ascii art"
>HTTP was a mistake
>It doesn't look like shit, I'm better than you
>>
File: 3.jpg (43 KB, 419x318) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
43 KB, 419x318
>>54007145
>I only had dial up networking so I'm better than "kids today"
Ever met a 70s fag who insisted you're shit because you don't know how to use an electric typewriter? Congrats, you're him now! The old people are dead. Long live the old people!

>They held onto 70s shit like typewriters
>We hold onto 90s shit like dial up
>>
>>54006990
>>54007052
More hilarity, the very ones who were the "new" ones showing up to create the very need for the words "September", are now identifying with it, not remembering that their action of showing up online was why it was created.
>>
>>53996948
that's what was good about the old internet. It wasn't expected to be good. It was just a bunch of trash here and there. That's because they were websites made by people. Now we don't go to websites, we go to products.
>>
>>54013252
>The old internet is better BECAUSE it was trash.
Honestly nostalgia really is complete cancer.
>>
>>54013189
Nobody yearns for dailup that shit was awful. Born 86.
>>
>>54012499
You fundamentally misunderstand the point. There is no old vs new, it's just the internet in its infancy vs it as it matured. As it matured, we found it capable of abuse as well as benefit. That's true of, let's see, every other fucking technology as well.

Any argument that the technological progress we've made refining the internet has resulted in more harm than benefit is going to be some old cherry picking bullshit. Seriously, data mining is the industry that the internet makes you think of? You're just going to disregard retail, art, and information? That's fucking insane.

It's insane to be the first generation that got to use the internet, and to use that power to cry about cuckmemes and sjws. It's your fucking internet, you are the people who know how to actually manipulate technology right? So fucking do what you want with it.

This is honestly the first time 4chan has made me angry in the 8 years i've been wasting my time here. Not /g/'s proudest moment guys. A bunch of fucking crybabies.
>>
>>54013305
That's the joke, and why nostalgia is so toxic. It makes you only forget about the BAD parts. Then you get fucked in the head because you yearn for this amazing age as it is in your mind but can't ever get back to it because if you actually did, it would suck. Seen war veterans talk about the "good ol days" of getting shot at... It's hilarious how this works for everything and can turn even getting shot at into a positive experience, as long as you give it enough years of picking out the bad parts in your mind. If only, if only you could go back and re-experience this "golden age" as an adult, you'd realize how blinded you are by this nostalgia, and how shit everything was.
>>
File: printing-press.jpg (280 KB, 1500x1146) Image search: [Google]
printing-press.jpg
280 KB, 1500x1146
>>54013343
I'm trying to think of another time this happened, where mass learning became easy and psuedo-elites got all autistic and whiney.

In the 1400s the printing press enabled everyone to read and interpret the big religious book at the time, catholics hated this because it took away their power of them being the only ones who can read so they could interpret the bible as they wanted and push it onto everyone else and try to get more money from them, best example is the indulgences.

Congrats, if you say "kids today with their internet, I was here first", you are a modern 1400s catholic trying to get all books banned except for the ones you already have. Both anti-intellectualism, if only your teachers could see you now trying to not spread the word.
>>
>>53995284
IN MY NETWORK THERE IS PROBLEM
AND THAT PROBLEM IS THE JEW
HE SAY EVERYONE OFFENSIVE
THEN HE SHOW YOU THING TO BUY
>>
File: chest-pain-heart-burn-400x400.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
chest-pain-heart-burn-400x400.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
>>53995284
I feel like it's about exclusivity. Now that everything is so hyperconnected, nothing is sacred or special. You say there are no more online communities? Absolutely wrong. It's just that it isn't special anymore because anyone and everyone knows. Look at reddit. Their subbreddits are fucking insane, yet it doesnt feel special.

A good anaology is like, well, I remember when I hacked my Xbox1 and put like 30 games on it. I roamed from game to game and didnt respect them because they were so easily available. It felt boring and cheap. It was cool to have access to all the games, but I was generally uninvested because it simply was too easy and I felt no appreciation. I think that's whats up with today's internet. Nothing is special anymore.

N O M O A R S A N C T I T Y
>>
>>54013135
>Learn to use the internet how I want it to be used :(
You still have the freedom to make some shitty site where you and your autism pals can circlejerk over how great things were back in the day. The internet is what you make of it. Not the Internet's fault you can't do anything useful.
>>
>>53995284

Nostalgia is like sour milk: it looks good from the outside, but it's impossible to enjoy.

The obvious problem is you aren't looking hard enough

Also side note: I've asked ~200 questions on SO and not a single one has been closed for being off topic because RTFM is sound advice in almost all cases.

Here's how you read a manual

>1. RTFM
>2. If you find a term you don't know, Google the term.
>3. If you find a term in the term definition you don't know, Google that term too.
4. When you fully understand, continue to RTFM
>>
>>54013505
but OP doesn't know how to get past the first 300000 links from google that are all paid ad space and not to be trusted, he hasn't seen actual "content" on the web in a decade point five apparently.

it's insanity. i was in high school when napster dropped, and i've only been able to make greater and greater use of the internet over the years.

does OP really have an argument beyond "i don't know social media websites that have the same views on feminism as me?"
>>
It's hard to pinpoint when the internet really went to shit because it was the result of several shitty trends catching on and not going away. Edgy as a pejorative, all that fedora shit, ironic shitposting, and other garbage that gets spammed ad nauseum ruined the internet. People who have to feel superior to absolutely everyone now have the tools to make sure nobody ever has fun again.
>>
>>54013069
>listed 5 concrete examples
>"you don't really list anything specific"

The shills are hard at work.
>>
>>54000617
Sorry if this a dumb question, but has the "wild west" internet actually shrunk? or has it remained the same while the corporate internet grew so large that it won by relative size?
>>
>>54013542
Basically this post equates "4chan" with "the internet".

>>54013561
Are you seriously saying that the existence of web content you don't enjoy is an argument for the internet becoming worse? And has that seriously been your argument the entire time?
>>
>>53995284
>Yeah, I know IRC is still kicking but last time I logged in there were so many fucking SJWs in the channel that I was reprimended for saying "hey guys", because "guys" implies sexism, for real, in a fucking #programming community that used to have amazing discussions.
What the fuck.
>>
>>54013505
Let's see them ;)
>>
>>54013571

It's happening everywhere. Different sites have different ways of doing it depending on what's cool there but it's the same shit.
>>
Many of you guys here are the exact kind of people that I know turned the internet to shit.

I started this thread giving my point of view about how I used to enjoy the internet and how many things that I considered valuable had lost its appeal.

Yet, instead of meaningful discussion you appeal to (very stupid) strawman arguments like "you're just nostalgic" "you were not the first one" "you are fighting against freedom of information (for real? wtf?)". Nowhere in any of my posts I mentioned anything related to that, if you think I did why not prove it right now? Come on, just quote the part where I said any of it and prove me wrong? Why don't you quote the part where I explicitly wrote "I'm not being nostalgic"?

>>54013414
>you are a modern 1400s catholic trying to get all books banned except for the ones you already have
this fucking idiot

>>54013468
>I remember when I hacked my Xbox1 and put like 30 games on it. I roamed from game to game and didnt respect them because they were so easily available. It felt boring and cheap
Yeah now it feels better to pay $50 bucks to "rent" Halo 27 for a month. Better watch out not running out of those verification cans, cuck.

>>54013571
>Are you seriously saying that the existence of web content you don't enjoy is an argument for the internet becoming worse
And this one, YEAH OF COURSE I'M SAYING THAT, it's the fucking first post I wrote, it is literally "the internet has become worse for me, here are a few examples, anyone else feel the same?"
>>
>>54013691
the internet is bigger than the particular sites you visit man

just find better fucking sites?
>>
>>54013691
seriously i fucking hate you dude. if you seriously used the internet as early as you claimed to, what is your fucking excuse for that you gradually sucked at it worse and worse? hundreds of anons have pointed out how if you made the slightest effort you could get just as much out of it as you always have, but you can't get over what YTMND?

you're a fucking piece of shit and you deserve your misery
>>
>>53995284
Well, I do agree with you. The Internet feels a lot different now, however I'm not certain who changed, Internet or me...

I started using it a bit before you, early 90's...
I fondly remember IRC and telnet BBS..
Good times, definitely good times...
>>
>>54013468

THIS

Allow me to tell a tale. I've had a handicapped friend since childhood, he has a stunted mental age and few interests growing up, His biggest by far was vidya, games were simpler back then and he loved beat-em ups, nice and simple. As time moved on and games went into 3d, controllers got more buttons and games got harder for him, because they were more complex, so it got harder to find suitable games. Then his parents got a new pc, giving him the old one, and I had a brainwave. I'd only recently discovered emulators and realised how perfect that would be for him. I downloaded rom packs for SNES and MegaDrive (Genesis) so he had all the games. Somehow it completely backfired. Suddenly having all the games, he wasn't interested anymore. It somehow killed that part of him. In a nutshell saturation is a killer. Same is true for the internet and its content. We take it for granted now, it reached a saturation point a while ago. It'll never again be what it once was.
>>
>>54013700
Really man?

Please point me to a serious source about technology news, I'd LOVE to read about that.

Best thing these days is hacker news and even that is a fucking circlejerk sucking sama's cock at every chance they have. I had an account for a couple years, nice karma and all that shit, then one day the stupid Charlie Hebdo attacks happened and it was being discussed, I made a very carefully worded (because I knew how cucked the site was) comment about how I don't think it was right either for a magazine to be constantly shitting over some other guys' religion and bam shadowbanned by fucking dang because you made the mistake of giving an opinion contrary to the fucking hivemind that was changing their facebook photo to the blue/white/red stripes.

This is the fucking internet now, but yeah prove me wrong, please post the better alternatives, I'm waiting.
>>
Everything started going to shit with web 2.0 garbage like Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and all of those other social websites that reward narcissistic personalities. It's incredibly easy to find the answers to most questions, yet people are so god damn lazy they'd rather have someone else google it for them. Sites like Twitch would have never existed a decade ago. Who the fuck wants to watch someone else play through a video game, badly I might add, rather than playing it themselves?
>>
Friendly reminder that people obsessed with/terrified of being cucked, and accusing others of being cucks at the slightest provocation, are most likely hopeless betas.

Why did the cuckmeme take off so hard on this site? Because it represents the common fear of the sort of betas that post here.

The easiest way to identify yourself as an utterly pathetic, repugnant beta is to accuse ME of being a cuck because i didn't view the internet as some super secret fag club
>>
>>54013782
I can't fucking parse whatever shit you wrote there.

But as I said to the other guy, just prove me wrong and post the better alternatives, just do it man.
>>
>>54013822
again, it seems like you have an extreme ideology that caused you to be ostracized by certain communities

you need in particular to discuss technology on a site that allows you to express your political views? why not just find a political site AND a technology site and keep each discussion in its proper place.

i take it you are one of the people who has been shitposting about cucks and sjws on my technology board?
>>
>>53995289

>is now making you solve a fucking captcha in order to see a webpage

Get off of tor then fucking pedo.
>>
>>54013827

It feels like the history of the internet is a series of buzzwords that came and went.
>>
>>54013849
Not him, but why do you expect to make a thread without others relating to your point of view? Obviously there will be the random cucks who provide shit for arguments, but if you really wanted to hold a good, deep conversation with others, the internet is just not the place to do so.
>>
>>54013691
>>54013822
Even if you are completely right, the bottom line is that complaining that the internet has changed will not do anything. The alternative is to make a private circlejerk that's been mentioned several times itt. You do NOT want to do that, it will feel great for a few weeks but it will go sour and bigtime, if not from you finding out other details about everyone else that aren't related to your common interest of new internet hate, people will eventually start to idle for weeks and months without posting and you WILL go insane from not talking to anyone else - and I do insist it will get to that point where you'll only talk to the people who "get it".

Friend of mine did this almost 6 years ago and didn't hear from him, then he invited me to his private circlejerk IRC. He told me that I was one of the few people who "got it" but the truth was yet another person had been idling for months and now he effectively only had 3 or so other people on the whole planet that he was able to talk to, and this freaked him out bigtime, which is why he asked me to join.

Tried to be nice but even in the first few hours they were "testing" me with their inside jokes that NOBODY else could possibly know, needless to say I didn't regurgitate and circlejerk with them in the way they were expecting and they started to disown me. His autism resulting from this circlejerk overcame his intense need to have at least somebody else to talk to and in so many words they all including him within days asked me to leave.

This is what you are looking at if you take this "alternative", and I'm very seriously telling you right now that you DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS. Therefore say the internet has changed, there is nothing you can do about it, and move on.
>>
>>54013807
I'm gonna give you a really good argument against your "saturation makes it boring" point, while also giving another valid, real and concrete reason of why the internet is shit now.

When I started coming in here I had to wait a fucking hour or two to download a shitty 128kbps mp3 and I loved them. When the internet got faster and things like torrents caught up I suddenly had access to pretty much all the music I wanted to have, and guess what happened? Did I stop listening to music? Of course you piece of shit, let me tell you what happened, I filled a fucking TB of music that I still enjoy to this day and knew about thousand of artists from all around the world that I wouldn't have the chance if it weren't for 2000s internet.

Nowadays, torrents are on a steep decline and many really cool sites like Grooveshark were closed down. Do you know what was lost there? Millions of rare and bootleg songs that you wouldn't find anywhere else, and a couple other million from emerging artists that published their songs there LEGALLY. What are the alternatives now? Soundcloud? "Wanna hear this sick mixtape braaaaaa?" Spotify? Apple Music? Tidal? Sorry but I don't listen to Justin Bieber, so fuck off.

>>54013853
Dude as I said, just prove me wrong! Just post the fucking technology blog/forum/site that has good non-jewed information and a sane community. Your words are void.
>>
yes, back then we had privacy and everyone was even adviced to not give out pwrsonal details. it was a place where you could be anyone you wanted to. now you cannot register anywhere without a facebook account or giving out your real name, and people openly share images of their personal lives to the public all the time.
>>
OP, you sound fat and lonely

You're a loser, mate. Get off the fucking computer and go do something.
>>
>>54013984
inb4
>but why do you need privacy if you've got nothing to hide XD
>>
>>54013984
Name one important site where you are forced to give personal information where you rather wouldn't.
>>
>>54014091
My bank's website

>Please enter in your account number
N-no

>Lost account number? Can we have your name
AM I BEING DETAINED?

>Use our telephone system
But then I'd have to give you my number. I had best go travel to a pay phone every time I want to check my balance
>>
>>54014163
That problem existed before the internet. Hell, it was worse because you had to show them your face too. Next.
>>
I can't really stand "geek culture" and all the other obnoxious shit that has been introduced with the internet really blowing up due to smartphones and cheaper computers, and of course the crusade on anonymity.

But I'm willing to take the hit for the limitless content and educational/entertainment resources it provides me.
>>
>>54014091
I believe that Google, Yahoo, and Facebook all require mobile-phone numbers now if you want to open an account. Facebook actually enforces that real-name policy, because a pseudonym isn't valuable to advertisers.

Also plenty of apps only support login with a social media account. Tinder's a prominent example, it's completely tied to Facebook.
>>
/pol/ is an example of real internet culture in 2016. it still exists, its just that you guys have blinders on.

usenet sucked.

having one computer per household sucked.

having no cell phones sucked.

having to go to the bank weekly sucked.

totse was a really shitty website. so was somethingawful, or whatever you're reminiscing about.
>>
>>54014947
Not sure if I agree with you on the phones. I do on the other points though
>>
>>53996179
>>53996893
Why have net?

Anoncom
>>
>>53995284
>Does anyone else feels that the internet in general has gone to shit?

No, you clueless hipster fuck.

I've got something like 80/20 Internet that's always on 24/7. I can look stuff up on Google Maps and it's actually accurate! And I can even check out a storefront or whatever before arriving!

I can communicate with all of my friends and family easily. I can use Facebook or Skype or Line or MMS. So many options now.

Oh, and I HAVE THE FUCKING INTERNET IN MY POCKET! I remember when I had to download articles onto my computer, then sync them to my Palm IIIx to read them on the toilet at work. Now I can browse endless articles and porn off Reddit or whatever, interactively, while I shit.

The only thing that has gotten worse is the number of potential distractions, and the sandboxed, walled-garden that OSes are barreling toward as fast as possible. Between Apples vast income from the app store (which wasn't even going to exist initially) and Microsoft's overblown reputation for malware and viruses, we've lost control over our devices.
>>
>>54015009
You are the problem with the internet.
>>
>>54007145
"""""""""KID"""""""""" here (18) can agree that culture has gone to shit, and not in a pretentious way.

It's crap...
>>
>>54015009
>Now I can browse endless articles and porn off Reddit or whatever, interactively, while I shit.
I think its time for you to go take a permanent
dump
>>
>>53995630
>what is zeronet, freenet, ipfs, i2p, tor
>>
Internet used to be a cool place for nerds to hang out with other nerds (scientists, engineers, gamers, coders etc.)
Now it's real world 2.0, with the same superfluous shit you deal with every day of the week.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's completely ruined and pointless, there is still a lot of stuff to see, sites to browse and communities to discover, but it clearly isn't going in the direction we envisioned back in 1997.

I am just glad I've witnessed and took part in the golden age of it. I will cherish the memories for the rest of my life.
>>
anybody loved mIRC like me? i remember old 1.6 times ah
>>
>>54013343
you manage to fundamentally misunderstand his point as well.
it's not about cherrypicking the bad and saying "the whole thing sucks"
it's about cherrypicking the bad, throwing it away and replacing it, while retaining the good.
>>
>>54013471
>The internet is what you make of it.
it's a fucking communication network, it's what other people make of it too.
>>
File: 1434027218863.jpg (470 KB, 900x2002) Image search: [Google]
1434027218863.jpg
470 KB, 900x2002
You're just nostalgic, there has been no fundamental cultural shift. Stop being stupid.
>>
>>54013853
>it seems like you have an extreme ideology that caused you to be ostracized by certain communities
Not him, I have one of the most popular (and left wing!) ideologies in my geographic area. I could spend all day circlejerking about it on twitter with ease.
But that's no fun.
>>
It's just nostalgia. The internet used to be a useless place for bored teenagers. Now it's a place where you can buy literally anything and have it delivered to your doorstep.
>>
>>54014091
Facebook.
>but the odds of being banned for using a pseudonym aren't that great!
You're not allowed. Just because something is laxly enforced doesn't stop it being against the rules.
>>
more shitposting, tryhard edgy kids, less progress. no decent porn. '07
>>
>>53995284
I hate to say this, especially as you sound like a cool anon, but you're somehow the reason why those cancerous "communities" had spread all along. I mean think about it. Whoever tries to make its voice heard on the fucking Internet - and why wouldn't they ? - you still have a fucktard who comes screaming at "de jewz did it bruh" or "fuminist is shit kys". Then the SJW representatives can argue they face a reactionary force made of angry uneducated right-winged morons who don't like social progress. Your reactions are their food. You feed their agenda in such ways they can pretend they own the logical point. However it's true that the "pronouns war" and assimilates are very annoying and lead to ackward everyday situations but I tend to think that this radical and newsworthy version of feminism won't last long.

And games ? Well games were shit at the time too, they're a commercial product, not the snowflake special interactive cross narrative cross immersive cross myass medium above which you stand and recite your McLuhan bible (think of the great crash of 1982, think of Amiga's fucking E.T. for fuck's sake). So stop pretending you have seen it through. Stop pretending you have unmasked the plotists. You're being nostalgic as the rest of us.

You were right about one thing though. Internet content has become redundant as more people are there and publish and retweet the same source of information.
>>
Websites were cleaner, extensions like early Sun Java didn't take many resources to run, the web for me revolved around Runescape.
>>
>>54016727
>Amiga's fucking E.T
Do you mean Atari or did the Amiga get a shitty ET as well?
>>
>>53995284
It was shit then, it is shit now.
>>
>>54016727
This.

When we left them alone all they did was infest education and politics. It's now that we're reacting to the infestation that - Wait, never-mind, you're a moron.
>>
>>54016727
No, you're fucking wrong, faggotron. We ignored them back when they could've been easily defeated, but now the cancer has spread.
Chemo will just kill the whole body, as it is doing right now.

Of course OP is a faggot too. No, retard, DA JOOS are not behind it. There is no shadowy cabal sipping expensive wine discussing world domination. It's social progress going the absolutely wrong way, while the people who are supposed to shape and drive it do absolutely fucking nothing.

And frankly, I don't give a shit. I'm just 28 and I already feel like a relic of a bygone era. Luckily there's still booze to drink, bros to hang around with and sluts to fuck (now, more than ever). Just don't expect humanity to colonize Mars or cure cancer. We're too busy tweeting, liking pictures on instagram and jerking off to the latest Nicki Minaj video, while the few of us who actually gave a shit are now ridiculed even more.
>>
>>54018114
>Just don't expect humanity to colonize Mars or cure cancer.
There's still driven people out there. It's just peoples hobbies have changed.
>>
>>54018114
>sluts to fuck
you're as bad as the rest of them
>>
>>54018190
>There's still driven people out there
Assigned to the datamining team aggregating android user location data to improve collision avoidance for the Google self-driving car.
>>
>>53996893
>>54012133
neetnet
>>
>>54016727
While I agree that right-wing /pol/ types are their own worst enemies (for example explicitly pushing the "with us or against us" narrative and accusing everyone in the middle ground of being an SJW in disguise.), both are still more of a symptom of the death of internet culture than a cause.
>>
>>54018114
>And frankly, I don't give a shit. I'm just 28 and I already feel like a relic of a bygone era. Luckily there's still booze to drink, bros to hang around with and sluts to fuck (now, more than ever). Just don't expect humanity to colonize Mars or cure cancer. We're too busy tweeting, liking pictures on instagram and jerking off to the latest Nicki Minaj video, while the few of us who actually gave a shit are now ridiculed even more.
This can only be satire. The majority of humans have been unremarkable at every point in time, and it is possible to be educated and productive and actually enjoy fun, and now almost anyone can educate themselves very cheaply using the internet
>>
>>53995284
I am even newer than you to the internet, and I agree completely with what you have to say, OP. There's a lot of projection in this thread, but you got the fundamental truth of it. It has come to the point where people that were once newfags are the loudest nostalgiafags. Our house didn't replace dialup with DSL until like 2007 or 2008.
>>
>>54002555
You're full of shits. DOTA-like games are fun and have great communities if you're not a total pled. Also, it's not like if you can't play to older games. You now have trillions of games made by countless new compagnies, sorry that you are just too lazy to pick the ones you would like. The past 10 years includes Oblivion, Fallout 3, LoL, Deus Ex sequel and Halo 3 to name a few.
>>
>>54019880
All your games are shitty examples, seriously kill yourself.

>Oblivion but not Skyrim
>>
>>54019925
K. Tell me more about good games.
>>
>>54019880
>pled
>compagnies
how embarassing.
>>
File: 1445381298731.jpg (19 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
1445381298731.jpg
19 KB, 600x315
>>54020187
Sorry, I'm using a cancerous device to type.
>>
>>54020001
>Hyper Light Drifter
>>
>>54015016
>>54015025

Proof that the Internet hasn't gotten worse, you've all just gotten more socially isolated, depressed, and desperate to cling to any notion of superiority you can invent.
>>
>>54016406

I'm surprised Yahoo was still that big in 2013.
>>
>>54022234
I gather Yahoo news is quite popular. Ymail too.

Also if it included Tumblr, that'd bolster things quite a bit, but I doubt it.
>>
>>54014472
I've noticed in the last month or two that nearly every website is suddenly and strongly suggesting that they need my phone number on file. Netflix won't leave me the fuck alone about it.

The reason is always so they can assist me should I forget my password. What was so wrong with getting a password reset link sent via email? Why's it gotta be SMS all of a sudden? I mean I don't wear a tinfoil hat but there doesn't seem to be any innocent reason every service wants to identify me by phone number.
>>
>>54023709
>there doesn't seem to be any innocent reason every service wants to identify me by phone number.
It means spammers registering a thousand accounts would have to get a thousand phone numbers.
(or however many accounts per number you can have.)
In theory.

Personally I still hate it.
>>
>>53995289
test senpai
>>
>>53995284
I hanged out on internet predating WWW. I liked internet when normies had no idea what the fuck it was. There were no "you hurt my feelings so I'm going to report you to the police". I got fiber pretty early in 1999 so internet was a blast for almost 6 years. I liked the feeling of freedom.

What I don't miss is the under construction gifs, calling a a BBS and upload pirated content to get credits so I can download new shit, shit indexers, low bandwidth servers, SJW etc. The SJW phenomenon is a political one though.
>>
>>53995284
What does being jewish have anything to do with SJWs and BLM? Libtards hate jews and israel while its the conservatives who support Israel and love jews
>>
>>54024568
>such as the people who are actually paid to keep accounts with normal posting activity on websites like Reddit that can then be leveraged for promoting products when the time comes and which may interact with other people regularly for up to a year prior
why is this legal
>>
>>54007242
These days I intentionally don't pull out my phone when I'm idle just to spite this. It actually feels good to break the nervous habit.
>>
>>53995289
>Stackoverflow started as a great community
As someone new to programming (and therfore Stackexchange), I have trouble believing this
>>
>>54024489
>Libtards hate jews and israel

you have some kind of proof of this?
>>
>>54026944
most leftists side with palestine
that's literally it.
>>
>>53997468
It's just a fad.
>>
>>53995284

The internet seems to be getting worse. The fact that many websites are removing their comment sections proves this. Also, normie millenials get their news and opinions from shitty clickbait sites like buzzfeed.
>>
>>54013414
It's more akin to when postmodern art took off and suddenly everyone could be an artist, and now we have people literally smearing shit in a canvas having exhibitions in museums.
>>
File: thanks.jpg (64 KB, 1000x605) Image search: [Google]
thanks.jpg
64 KB, 1000x605
>>53995284
It was way weirder back then. I remember how you could find yourself on a webpage dedicated to proving that Jesus Christ escaped to Japan, and then finding yourself on a page detailing instructions on how to castrate yourself with fishing wire, scissors and neosporin.
>>
>>53995289
>Stackoverflow started as a great community

I am too young to have appreciated it back in the day, but I am pretty sure it was full of dumbass neckbeards back then, as well.
>>
>>53995284
Smartphones were the worst thing to happen to the internet, because it gave millions of nigs and normies access to the web, and caused it to devolve into yet another status seeking source of vanity for people who need constant affirmation of their own existence.
>>
No its better yall are just autistic faggots. Internet hipsters, you are what you loathe - step away from the computer and go outside. Don't like BLM or other dumb PC movements? Hate FB and twitter, Instagram and the cult of self? Then don't follow it, use the Internet like it was built for in the past - a giant encyclopedia that gave you information to alter your real life.

The problem isn't the Internet it's you. Don't let it be you only hobby, don't let it be your life.
>>
>>54028057
so like TOR, without the cp
>>
File: 1458508464967.jpg (245 KB, 1280x1109) Image search: [Google]
1458508464967.jpg
245 KB, 1280x1109
>>54019290
>>
>>54028273
>yall
Opinion immediately disregarded
>>
Being autistic, I can assure you that VR will provide you with that lost feeling of wonder, that urge to explore and experience,.

There will be VR websites that let you experience the information age in a completely new way. And you'll be able to use your whole body doing it.
>>
>>54024489
>>54026982
>he thinks Israeli kikes are the same thing as kikes living in America and Europe
If only all kikes would go to Israel and stop being nation-wrecking parasites. We don't even have to exterminate them, we just have to contain them. This has been tried hundreds of time in the last 2000 years, but those rats always find their way back in. The eternal Jew is the biggest threat to civilization, but things are going to change. It's a never ending cycle.
>>
File: 1456610210933.jpg (272 KB, 1511x553) Image search: [Google]
1456610210933.jpg
272 KB, 1511x553
>>54030240
>anti-SJWs are as retarded and obnoxious as SJWs
Hello, communist SJW.
>>
>>54030210
Why are you racist?
>>
>>54007366
Old internet was like being a little kid let loose at the park. You could make a friend even if you had almost nothing in common, and have a great time and maybe never see them again, but it was still fun every week.
>>
>>54030290
>Implying
Why would one talk like a redneck on the tech board?
>>
>>54030290
Science says to be, or else your race will die out and your genes will not continue, making your total impact on the universe ZERO.
>>
File: 1449016033483.gif (194 KB, 255x174) Image search: [Google]
1449016033483.gif
194 KB, 255x174
Vectoralists are poisoning the internet because they want to control the vectors along which information moves. They are the new pastoralists, trying to control/patent ideas so they can turn them into profit the same way pastoralists control land to make a profit:
http://subsol.c3.hu/subsol_2/contributors0/warktext.html

>>53999176
This. I think the trouble started when using your real identity online became commonplace. The internet used to be a place where you could be whoever you wanted to be and talk about whatever you wanted to talk about. Nowadays, signing into the botnet with your real life identity is a requirement for most people and if you say something out of line it leads straight back to you so that sjw faglords can dox you and get you fired. It's 2016 and most normies still don't know the difference between the web and the net, all they care about is facebook.

>>54012312
>Ideas were freely expressed, there was minimal government and corporate influence.
A good example of this would be the rhodium/hive forums used to exchange clandestine chemistry ideas. Of course, america did not like this and proceeded to shut it down because "muh war on drugs". This was when governments started to realise "oh shit, people are freely exchanging forbidden ideas! We need to start policing the internet and stop free speech before we lose control".
>>
>things were better when I was a kid
LOL REALLY???????
>>
I do sort of miss the days of small pseudonymous communities where people generally knew each other and it was actually kind of like a community. Everything seems so centralized around a few big sites now.

>>53995284
>their community everything now is "press X to win, if you are not able to press X just pay $5" that and "I'm a gurrrlll hehehe".
congratulations on being the actual cancer killing the gaming community. (not to say it was ever good. it wasn't. but i prefer the old console war bickering over this entitled baby "WHY ARE GAMES TARGETED AT PEOPLE WHO AREN'T ME" shit and the dumb misogynistic "gamer gurl" trash). basically fuck off to /pol/ or /v/ or whatever. or just stay here and keep shitting up 4chan. just don't make the rest of the internet even worse than it already is.
>>
>>54030911
Have you ever played a game with a girl who thinks she's hot shit because most girls don't game? They literally spam the chat with unbearable attention seeking. Nobody really cares what gender you are on the internet, it's just annoying and if they didn't do it there wouldn't be a problem. Also, pay to win games are cancer and most games nowadays bring nothing new to the table as the industry stagnates. Every new title is cookie cutter trash and it's getting old. Fuck gaymen.
>>
>>54012499
There's nothing wrong with data mining.
If you're too dumb to realize you're giving out information, it's your problem.
>>
>>53995284
lookup something called "baby duck syndrome"
>>
>>54013596
Are you surprised?
>>
>>54002555
>give an example of an AAA game that is not utter shit from the last 5 years

Ultra Street Fighter IV
Dark Souls

There's two. As I said yesterday: you are a moron.
>>
>>53996948
>you actually have search engines that can find what you want.

But search engines now are limited to only 10 pages of results and you could only use only a limited number of keywords. Back then I could look through hundreds of pages and use a lot more keywords for searching. Looking for specific information is more difficult now because Google returns search results based more on website ranking rather the keywords you looked for. Because Google wants web masters to pay for high ranking in their search results, non-commercial websites have little chance of visibility.
>>
I don't miss the old web. Accept that those used it had a certain income level and knowledge base. Apple changed all that and let in the great unwashed.

Here's an example of how the old web used to be. You used to be able to link the url within an email in a hotmail account to post a picture on your website etc. That only lasted for a while but that basic underlying open structure is still there but with patched on layers of complication to pass for privacy and security. It's pretty secure sure but if someone wants to hack into anything they can do it if they have the resources.
>>
>>54030205
And this is exactly what I'm talking about.
You're not helping your own cause by circlejerking and strawmanning a post that - even if it was pro-SJW - would do nothing to actually advance their agenda. (Because the point is that it's a symptom, not a cause, of a wider problem. You still want to get rid of the symptoms, but don't put the cart before the horse.)
>>
>>54031081
>If you're too dumb to realize you're giving out information, it's your problem.
This is a stupid attitude. If it's happening to most people, it will eventually fuck you over too.

Regardless of whether you believe in global warming, it's a good example of where this kind of attitude leads:
>I don't need to worry about other people driving SUVs, I own a hybrid. If they don't realize they're damaging the planet that's their fault
>>
>>54031109
completely irrelevant here.
you're thinking of "windows 8/10 UI sucks"
[which it does]
>>
>>54022234
Yahoo is still popular in Japan for news and stuff.
>>
>>54005579
Let me guess, no-one on /g/ has the balls to go and do a porn search for "bbc impregnation" on xhamster?

Do you know how many videos there are of Tyrone pumping some chick with another welfare baby?
>>
>>54006410
Common knowledge for extremists, i.e. "zionists". There are also non-extremists that oppose zionism.

Separate zionism from Judiasm and what do you have?
>>
>>53995284
This image looks like an issue of Crossed.
>>
File: thecloud.png (31 KB, 325x262) Image search: [Google]
thecloud.png
31 KB, 325x262
>>54006924
This is a solvable, tractable problem for techies, but completely unsolvable for non-techies.

>E-Mail?
Open up a micro-sized cloud VM, and use it as a mail relay to an SMTP server that is tied to your home address. If you residential services goes down (and it always does) then the VM will queue mail until it is back up.
>Video?
Use uBlock plus a youtube downloader that extracts the mp4 streams to disk, in private mode. Be selective with your search terms, and don't click the bullshit "lookie me" streams.
>Search engine?
use a search aggregator, like duckduckgo.com which while not perfect is a step in the right direction.
>Image search engine?
you can still use images.google.com but you could also duckduckgo this too.
>Social network?
go off the grid and meet in meatspace. This is where five aheys are watching you.
>Laptop OS?
Just man up and install a fucking Linux distro.
>Phone OS?
get a dumbphone if it bothers you that much, otherwise cyanogenmod
>Browser?
Anything but Chrome, which has sucked in the last year
>Maps?
There are others, you're not looking hard enough. For fucks sake, there's even openstreetmaps
>Advertising?
If you are supporting the internet with advertising then you are supporting the status quo.
>""Cloud"" storage?
ownCloud on your own home server, fuck'em. "Cloud storage means you're using someone else's computer".
>App store, Ebooks, Music, etc?
Are you that oblivious?
>Translator?
Learn it, or use something else.
>News aggregation?
Google News has been shown to my own satisfaction to be a "controlled source", it will narrow your stream of information

The problem is that people are lazy and don't want to make the effort.

Fucking apply yourself.
>>
File: 1459020995019.jpg (67 KB, 451x384) Image search: [Google]
1459020995019.jpg
67 KB, 451x384
>>54013069
>accept that the web stayed the same
holy shit how retarded can someone possibly be? I had to check what I had quoted for a second to make sure I read it correctly
>>
File: Yacub.jpg (183 KB, 774x643) Image search: [Google]
Yacub.jpg
183 KB, 774x643
>>53995284
>What's your opinion on the internet back then vs the internet today?
>posts /pol/: The Image
It was way better then.

>>54000871
>2015
>"forgetting" the shitposting nazis
>>
>>54036098
>This is a solvable, tractable problem for techies,
Yes, I know. The problem is that non-techies make up the majority, and most things are catered towards them.

>Use uBlock plus a youtube downloader that extracts the mp4 streams to disk, in private mode. Be selective with your search terms, and don't click the bullshit "lookie me" streams.
This isn't a 100% solution, if the video you want to download has been pulled by Google you're still fucked.

I could go into why others aren't the ideal solution but it's more important to emphasise that I'm not saying they're the only competitor in those markets. The problem isn't that they're dominant in all of them - in stuff like Laptop OS's they aren't that major - the problem is that they're so widespread in the first place.

Instead of a social network partnering with a maps company to link personal data that way to tailor results, they do everything in-house. This makes them incredibly hard to compete with as a startup because there's no way you can manage similar integration.
>>
>>54013937
>"testing" me with their inside jokes that NOBODY else could possibly know

This is basically 4chan or reddit in a nutshell.
>>
>>54037275
except you can pick them up very easily
also on 4chan if you fuck up you only humiliate yourself in one thread. on reddit or IRC your ID is humiliated forever.
>>
>>54030247
What have jews ever done to ruin our nation? If anything they keep it in order being the top of all the businesses, if jews were kicked out of businesses we would have a crisis on our hands.
>>
>>54038195
>+0.5 shekels have been deposited into your GoyimPlus account
>>
>>54026867
reddit was good once too. even somethingawful was as well
>>
>>54038574

yospos is still significantly better than /g/
>>
I remember that by 2000 I got my first computer. I was kind of annoyed by the fact some software asked for an internet connection back then when I could not afford that and I just visited cyber cafes.

In 2003 I got an actual internet connection and I found out about IRC. It was amazing. I miss IRC on those stupid channels. I miss trying Knoppix with a good version of KDE and trying to install sound on Debian for days with a friend. I miss going on forums and shitposting more than I do here, with some sort of identity. I miss the early days of me trying to play stuff online with a few friends and learning english on my own. I miss having to spend a whole night just to download 1GB of content. I miss youtube in its early days.

Now it's pretty hard to get into a community for me and ask around. In real life, unlike before, it's not that difficult for me to get into groups of different people with different ideas, but online it feels sort of dangerous to say whatever the fuck you could possibly want. Maybe it's because I live in a shithole.
>>
>>54038776
>I miss having to spend a whole night just to download 1GB of content
move to rural britain
>>
>>54038776
I was a little late, I didn't get my first computer until around the middle of 2000. We were waiting to "see which ones didn't work after y2k".

Good times.
Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.