[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>landing a rocket on a barge is somehow impressive technology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 11
File: spacex.webm (761 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
spacex.webm
761 KB, 853x480
>landing a rocket on a barge is somehow impressive technology
>>
>NEETs with no technical experience in charge of deciding what is impressive technology and what isn't
kill yourself
>>
>>53973997
The only thing impressive is that you've managed to get a reply from me with your shitty bait.
>>
>>53973997
The really impressive thing is that they've managed it twice now without exploding.

Thirds the charm though.
>>
>it's the rocket taking off in reverse
>>
>>53973997
I agree with you. We need to focus on earth before talking about space.
>DUDE, WE LANDED A ROCKET, LMAO!
Who fucking cares
>>
File: Aldrin_Apollo_11.jpg (2 MB, 2700x2700) Image search: [Google]
Aldrin_Apollo_11.jpg
2 MB, 2700x2700
>>53974018
>>53974026

>this happened in the 60s with shittier technology

kys elon cucks
>>
>>53974202
>he thinks we actually walked on the moon
No
>>
>>53974202
Agreed.
The phone I use now is more powerful than the whole computer they used then to control the landings and shit on the fucking moon, yet everyone is impressed these days with just landing a rocket in the ocean.
>>
File: 2001eva.jpg (44 KB, 1235x575) Image search: [Google]
2001eva.jpg
44 KB, 1235x575
>>53973997
>finds over-convoluted means of returning decades old tech just to save money
>has made almost no strides in innovation that improves our ability to explore the solar system, planets and beyond

I felt you family. While what they show looked cool, its practically redundant if they made a good space aeroplane instead.

Or better yet, made a breakthrough in a craft that can do long distance manned missions.
>>
>>53974202
>>53974201
ok so maybe you morons don't understand this. the rocket flew itself and landed on the barge for reuse.
compare this to dropping into the ocean and salvage crews fishing it out.
>>
>>53974334
All those man hours could have been put to better use to plan manned missions to Mars or fucking Venus instead!
>>
elon musk is overrated as shit any nerd with money could do what he does
>>
>>53974332
>I have no understanding of economics, the post.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>53974202
>implying that ever happened
>>
Guys, i want you to interject for a minute
22,350,000,000 USD
this much Russian government "spent" on Sochi Olympics.
Now, let it sink.
What could have been done.

sause
http://sochi.fbk.info/ru/price/
>>
>>53974419
>living on Venus
enjoy your death..
>>
>>53974332
>lmao why don't they just make gud space plane
Just fuck off
>>
>>53974201
>We need to focus on earth before talking about space.
Do you have any fucking idea how many things you use in your worthless daily life are thanks to research and development into space exploration?

We should take every one of you fucks and jettison out of an ISS airlock.
>>
>>53974505
it wouldn't do much for your faggy space travel

it wouldn't do jack shit in the hands of elon musk
>>
>>53973997
Obvious fake.

The waves are moving in the wrong direction.
>>
File: Oh you, animals.jpg (96 KB, 400x352) Image search: [Google]
Oh you, animals.jpg
96 KB, 400x352
>>53974508
Just goes to show you how many man hours were wasted that could have made Venus an habitable place instead of making a drone that lands itself on a barge.
>>
>>53974505
It was mostly spend on Putin's friends.

Only a fraction went into actual construction, rest ended up in the pockets of the corrupt construction company owners appointed by Putin.
>>
>>53974564
>it wouldn't do jack shit in the hands of elon musk
Well considering his priority is to land cylinders on a barge instead of prioritizing space travel, you might be right.
>>
>>53974598
because it would be pretty stupid to try to live on Venus, it's way too hot, and corrosif for anything to survive. Drones that are send there do not get back home.
>>
>>53974569
but it's not senpai.
>>
>>53973997
You try landing a rocket on a barge. Good luck.
>>
>>53974656
You don't know that.
That's just what you've read online, but you've never been there so stop talking out the ass.
>>
>>53974257
This is such a shitty, retarded comparison that I dont know where to start.

The tech on the apollo missions, and every other space program was designed first and foremost to survive in intense solar radiation using little to no power, your pocket botnet isnt.
>>
>>53974722
on venus it rains molten metals
>>
>>53974677

It's a special rocket that sucks in exhaust that was already around that platform.
>>
>>53974722
you know that there are researches that were made that knows exactly what the composition of Venus is?
I also don't talk out of my ass, I'm in areospatial engineering and lots of my teachers did work in the field before.
>>
>>53974257
>The phone I use now is more powerful than the whole computer they used then to control the landings and shit on the fucking moon

I guess that makes you an astronaut.
>>
>>53974803

You know that's b8.
>>
>>53974677
haha, I was only pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>53974839
nice tinfoil hat you got there senpai :^)
>>
>>53974332
>Or better yet, made a breakthrough in a craft that can do long distance manned missions.
This isn't difficult at all you fucking retard, it's the "just saving money part" that prevents it, it's prohibitively expensive to lift anything substantial into orbit, especially when you have to rebuild the entire fucking rocket every time you do it.
>>
>>53974257
The moon has far less gravity, and doesn't wobble when you hit it with your rocket thrust.
>>
>>53974776
There's this device that's already been invented called an umbrella for exactly that sort of situation, idiot.

>>53974803
Yeah, well I've a PhD in astronomy and a doctorate in space travel and my father is Neil Armstrong.
>>
>>53974896
this

stabilizing shits that are that huge in our gravity is a fucking pain
>>
>>53974896
If you crash your rocket in the moon it's gone for good, if you crash in the ocean it'll just float.
>>
>>53974257
>The phone I use now is more powerful than the whole computer they used then to control the landings
why do people borderline cum in their pants over this notion like computing power matters for shit in spaceflight

most of the Astronauts could do the shit the computer was doing by hand in the first place, flying in space isn't really that difficult or taxing from a mathematical perspective
>>
>>53974967
haven't you ever belly flopped in a pool?

hitting water at that kind of speed no different from slamming into a concrete wall
>>
>>53974987
>flying in space isn't really that difficult
Well excuse me Mr. Rocket.
>>
>>53974558
>Do you have any fucking idea how many things you use in your worthless daily life are thanks to research and development into space exploration?

name ten things
>>
>>53974202
>implying the moon landing wasnt a media campagin to bait and bankrupt the soviet union with their own space program.
>>
>>53973997
First robots replaced factory workers and now rockets are replacing rocket salvage workers, when will all this madness stop? Soon we all be replaced by robotic rockets, how will we pay our bills when that happens? Bloody disgusting. I'm voting for Trump.
>>
>>53975013
My space pen, velcro, thermos, satellite TV, rocket ship, there's just too many to count, Anon.
>>
>>53974448
>>53974527
>>53974880
Thats cause you are still stuck in the disposable rocket mindset.

It doesnt need to be done this way, the spaceshipone method is perfectly viable. All you need to do is let it carry a bit more fuel.

>inb4 it blew up so its totally failed
>>
>>53973997
the way it was landed was impressive
>>
>>53974202
>mellinials are too lazy to type "kill yourself"
kill yourself.
>>
File: SpaceX plan.png (1012 KB, 2633x1499) Image search: [Google]
SpaceX plan.png
1012 KB, 2633x1499
>>
>>53975144

Kill urself my man
>>
>>53974967
because as we all know, quarter ton shredded rocket peices are great at floating
>>
>>53974505
it's funny you mention the russians because until this launch americans have been relying on them to get anything up to the space station.

>>53974505
doesn't matter how much it cost because usa usa usa you can finally get payloads up to the iss without support from the russians
>>
>>53975051
>Society is progressing oh no!
>Better vote for the guy that will ensure the degradation of this
>>
>>53973997

Sea water wrecking shit aside, is there a reason why they don't just slap a bunch of parachutes on it, seal off the thruster and drop it into the ocean for retrieval by a crane mounted offshore vessel?
>>
>>53975253
>Trump 2016: if americans want jobs they need to work for less than the chinese
>>
>>53974201
Science doesn't work that way. We solve problems in parallel because different people are good at different things. A rocket physicist isn't going to be a damned bit of help when trying to cure malaria, for instance.

What's most important is making sure that each sector of the sciences gets the funding it deserves, which would be no problem at all if we could stop getting ourselves in needless wars.
>>
>>53975269
You cant get as many youtube hits that way
>>
>>53974201
yeah, my fellow environmentalist! I agree with your compassionate and intelligent proposition that we should continue exploiting niggers and strip mining the Earth instead of mining the same materials from asteroids where they are far more abundant to sustain your mindless consumption!

and I mean fuck, you're right that all those millions of dollars wasted on philosophical pursuits like more effective and efficient air travel and developing a better understanding of how the universe works would be far better spent on handouts and social media campaigns because hey, all you need to do to make something better is mindlessly throw money at it!

>>53975111
>j-just give it more fuel! I know! I liked "I fucking love science" on Facebook!
It doesn't work that way. We aren't gimping our ships' fuel capacities because we can' it's because you can't just add more weight to something and expect everything to be fine. It takes a lot of energy to get something into interplanetary space, and the amount of fuel required to get your shitty like atmospheric craft into that space and make it USEFUL will have to involve some sort of semi-disposable tank and engine system one way or another.
>>
>>53974332
>>53974448
>also physics

a space plane, motherfucker? i hope you're joking.
>>
>>53975285
Except when sciences help eachother, and then the public and earth.

It's the same with war, when people are striving to do something to beat another country, you get massive results.
>>
>>53975253
Technology is progressing not society, technology only seems to make society less satisfied and depressed.
>>
>>53975372
The problem is that with advanced technology, less and less of a workforce is needed and even those with jobs are productive enough that they have time to think about themselves, their impact on society, etc, and all too often realize that what they're doing is really just busywork in the grand scheme of things. Depressing indeed.

The transition to a post-scarcity society will be a rough one.
>>
>>53973997
That is fucking awesome actually.
>>
They want to reuse the landed rocket. I wonder how reusable it is. All that heat and pressure must take a toll.
>>
>>53975324
Its using a disposable engine system in the form of another plane.

A carrier plane that is relatively cheap to build and simple to land.

Do a little more work on maximising payloads and power, and you've got no need for wasteful rockets.
>>
>>53974772
>The tech on the apollo missions, and every other space program was designed first and foremost to survive in intense solar radiation using little to no power,
>the new horizons probe has a PS1 CPU as its flight control computer
Not saying it isn't designed to survive intense solar radiation.
>>
>>53974202
>no stars in space
>real
choice one faggot
>>
>>53975543
Lots of probes, satellites, etc use radiation-hardened 400Mhz PPC G3s (Gamecube/candy iMac CPUs). Only recently have radiation-hardened PPC G4-based designs been utilized in space tech.
>>
Does anyone realize how fucking incredibly difficult and precise the rocket has to be to do that. Has anyone balanced a stick on their hand? Okay try that with a rocket.
>>
File: top_kek.jpg (194 KB, 517x768) Image search: [Google]
top_kek.jpg
194 KB, 517x768
>>53974923
My sides just arrived on venus
>>
>>53975440
It's been done before, IIRC the space shuttle was even carried on the back of a plane at one point. Do some reasearch and find out why it was stopped
>>
>>53975611
a stick on my hand doesn't have 50 million dollars put into cgi to keep it upright
>>
File: Rocket Ride 1 has crashed!.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Rocket Ride 1 has crashed!.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>53975172
heh
>>
>Apple releases a new phone with 'innovative' headphone jack
>They've done it again guise! I'll be first in the queue

>Expensive rocket lands itself on platform on the sea for retrieval
>Pfft. What is this? I can't watch my favourite streamer with it so why should I care?
>>
>>53975647
>1920x1080
fuck off nigga
>>
>>53974332
>just to save money
Do you shit rare earth metals?
>>
>>53974202
If neil did the first step on the moon, who placed the camera then to make a picture of him
>>
>>53975269
Depending how they are writing the software it may be partially adaptable into other fields such as guidance for vehicles or aircraft.
There may be less work required in prepping the booster for another launch if you can land it.
Parachutes add weight and boosters usually separate before they empty anyway, so you can extend the burn if necessary, may as well put the remaining fuel to use.
>>
File: cossack.jpg (22 KB, 315x306) Image search: [Google]
cossack.jpg
22 KB, 315x306
>>53975647
>deploy one parachute to stabilize the top and multiply chances of safe landing
>'no'
>>
>>53975438
Parts on it will definitely be replaced more often than on an airplane but if they can even get a handful of launches out of each rocket then that would be a massive cost saving.
>>
File: 1449982224051.jpg (51 KB, 430x810) Image search: [Google]
1449982224051.jpg
51 KB, 430x810
>>53975709
if I was to consume them, yes.

My digestive system is more efficient than billion dollar rocket tech.
>>
>>53974257
How many times has your phone crashed compared to the ones in the Apollo missions?
>>
after all this time people still didn't realize space is a waste of time

billions of wasted $ that could be used for actually useful stuff

people are starving in Africa and some billionarire wants to play Star Wars IRL

disgusting and sad
>>
>>53975564
>expecting to see stars when you are standing on a giant mirror
Do you even know how light works? They were exposing for the Moon's surface, not the sky.
>>
>>53975721
>deploy a parachute while burning to reduce velocity
Nigga, are you crazy?
>>
>>53973997
USA USA USA USA
>>
>>53974332
>>has made almost no strides in innovation that improves our ability to explore the solar system, planets and beyond

I know right. I'm scared SpaceX will stay as a cheap LEO launch service company for a long time and just use the 'we're going to Mars!' stuff to attract graduates to work for low pay and little progression.

The first Falcon heavy flight has been half a year away for, what, going on 5 years?

I'm not saying it's a money-making scheme (if you want to make money you don't start a rocket company...) but I'm not sure the economics work for a private company to break beyond LEO. Might be possible, might not be, time will tell.
>>
>>53975772
fucking retard there are lots of worse things that your tax money is being spent on

and who the fuck cares about africa anyway you're just going to make the situation worse if you feed those niggers, you have to make it sustainable
>>
>>53975772
There are trillions of tons of raw materials reasonably close by.

Space is worthwhile.
>>
>>53974202
The whole point of the apollo missions was to get on the moon before the soviets. NASA had pretty much an unlimited budget just to reach this one goal, so they could compensate for lack of 21st century technology. All other goals such as making reusable rockets so that space travel is cheaper were not as important as winning the space race. Later budget cuts certainly did not help.

Also, making reusable rockets is/was not profitable for all the space & defense contractors who made a pretty penny every time a rocket was launched.

>>53975269
The official explanation IIRC is that the parachutes required to slow the rocket would be too large and heavy to make the rocket economical or practical.
>>
>>53975853
If you think about it, parachutes might work up until say 100m above the ocean, then you need to fire if you dont want the rocket to be so badly damaged that its not even worth reusing.

At that point you need to cut the parachutes and slowing down into a parachute is a good way to have a disaster.
>>
File: launch already.gif (41 KB, 600x599) Image search: [Google]
launch already.gif
41 KB, 600x599
I remember this one
>>
>>53975772
Ignorant and short-sighted.

As far as we know we're the only species in the universe that is self-aware and intelligent enough to separate its fate from that of its home planet and those living on it. In other words, if some natural megacatastrophy or global epidemic takes place, we might come out on top instead of being resigned to extinction or getting thrown back to the stone age. We can prevent our own extinction and become a multi-planetary and eventually maybe even multi-star civilization.

Any of the stupid crap we obsess over and bicker about down here is absolutely nothing in comparison and won't even make a damned difference a thousand years for from now, or fuck, even a century from now.
>>
>>53975721
What if it's on a planet without an atmosphere.
>>
>>53976131
>Entire point of current spaceX test is for the stage leaving earth
>>
>>53976131
Makes landing without a chute way easier because you don't need a re-entry burn.
>>
>>53973997

>being this ass blasted that your country cant do this
>>
>>53976156
What?
>>
File: 1430637167298.jpg (22 KB, 627x626) Image search: [Google]
1430637167298.jpg
22 KB, 627x626
>>53973997
>>53974202
>>53974257
>>
>>53976175
your country can't do this either. Unless we count every American company's achievement as an American achievement, in which case end your life
>>
>>53973997
I'm sure you're the first one to post in every desktop thread
>impressive
>>
>>53975761
How many hours has the Apollo mission computer been on?

>>53975772
Yeah we should spend more money on getting those people who multiply like crazy to continue doing it and continue living because that's the best way to combat the overpopulation we have on earth.
>>
>>53974201
>Mo monies fo dem programs.
>>
>>53975074
Your not very good at counting kiddo thats 6 things
>>
>>53975772
Yes. Let's help them make more dependent peole.
>>
>>53976975
*People.
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.