[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
best programming language to learn for jobz
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot_2015-09-26-18-37-52.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-09-26-18-37-52.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
I figured /g/ would know best. So I'm 23 and have been working as an industrial engineer at a major auto manufacturer for almost 2 years. I hate it. Right now I am aiming for a position at a consulting firm (Deloitte, Accenture), but I got to thinking about what I really wanted out of all these and what is most important. Yes, I like money but my time and freedom are the most valuable assets I have. My long term plan is to be able to work remotely atleast 90% of the time while I travel, camp, make films or do whatever the fuck I want. I figure the easiest way to achieve that is to become proficient in a few programing languages geared towards enterprise.

So, which programming languages are highly marketable and will be semi future proof?

I have taken courses in C++ and some database theory as well as SQL so I'm not completely novice. Java seems interesting.
>>
http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2015
check this out. The most popular are javascript, SQL (why), Java, and C#.

for websites --> javascript + html, css, etc.
databases --> sql and its variants
windows framework --> c#/.NET
general shit --> java
c/c++ for low level optimization/3d/vidya
etc.

Its not about learning a programming language, its about understanding engineering/compsci concepts at a fundamental/theoretical level which you can apply across all/most languages.

Things like design patterns, logic, mathematical insight, datastructures, algorithms, make a great engineer, not some1 that knows a few tricks with language x.

According to the survey, Javascript is in demand.
>>
>>53201170
Cool, JavaScript and Java interest me, and I know from my job search I've seen alot of want for Java developers.
>>
>>53202091
>Javascript and Java
>Implying they are different languages
>>
linux
>>
>>53200338
OCAML
>>
>>53200338
>I figured /g/ would know best. So I'm 23 and have been working as an industrial engineer at a major auto manufacturer for almost 2 years.
Doesn't sound like you're setting yourself up to be a programmer. With most skilled industries you're going to need a degree before HR will give you an interview, programming is no different.

Inb4 anecdotal evidence from children pretending to be someone else (mostly boomers and genx) claiming to have gotten in just with a handshake or "knowing someone".

>I hate it.
Talk to your course coordinator about switching to computer engineering. You'll feel like you wasted 2 years, because no credit transfer, but at least you'll be on a better track to something you might enjoy more.

>My long term plan is to be able to work remotely atleast 90% of the time while I travel, camp, make films or do whatever the fuck I want.
You think this is possible because you're lucky enough to be one of the people who genuinely find programming easy.

But after meetings and networking and "their" incessant need to talk face to face, "they" really won't let you work remotely. This isn't how business works. You can't even do your job the way you want to at their desk, they have to interrupt you, not for anything important, just because they believe they deserve your attention.
>>
>>53200338
I would suggest starting with Python, it's an easy language to learn, and it's really powerful when it comes to scripting.
Being a programmer isn't about learning just one language, you'll want to learn more languages as you progress to learn new concepts and look at things in a new light.
But Python is a really good place to start!

A few python books I'd suggest are:

Learning Python the hard way (just wish ol' Zeddy would move onto python 3)

Learning python by Mark Lutz, try and get the newest edition.

In fact get anything by Mark, he's really thorough on the language and his books are good for reference.
>>
>>53202488
>TFW mistook OP for a novice
Ah well, I'd still suggest python.
>>
>>53202251
I have a very different personal experience, call me a children all you want but that's exactly how I got my jobs all throughout my life, I'm good at what I do and I know people in the industry and I'm a high school dropout.
>>
>>53202556
Either you come from a third world country, your uncle is schlomo Stein or those "jobs" (assuming they're even white collar) are in huge demand where you are and your experiences just won't help anyone internationally.

Guys, get a degree, have an attractive resume, hope to God the HR isn't a sociopathic left extremist.
>>
>>53202788
First world country, I'm actually always behind a pseudonym, job is remote, wage is 6 figures with equity options, I'm going to get a promotion fairly soon.
>>
>>53202102
Please go. They are not related.
OP- Learn java
>>
>>53200338
I would fug her so hard she couldn't walk for a week
>>
>>53202251
Uhhh dude ive graduated and work full time as an engineer already. Lrn2read
>>
>>53200338
mips asm, anything else will be phased out of the industry standard in 5 years.
>>
>>53202488
Use Python in 90 minutes from slideshare. Saves a lot of time.
>>
>>53200338
You sound like a normie so my advice would be to not even try. I mean if you have to ask this question in the first place you already have no idea what you're doing or want. You don't just start learning a language if you don't know what you want to do with it. The job market is highly competitive, so you best know your shit and that also means the first thing you should do is figure out why you want to learn a certain language and stick with it because no "best" language actually exists.
>>
>>53200338
Now I know why biologists get a bad rep.
It's people like this who fail med school and go back to biology.
>>
>>53200338
Learn java, it's not going away any time soon. It's a code once, run anywhere type of language. However, one language is not a solution for everything, try and branch out once you learn most of one. Diffidently start with java though and build up the concepts and knowledge. It may seem difficult when learning it at first, However, one you learn one language learning others is just as simple as learning the syntax and memorizing some new things.
>>
>>53202102
Fucktard
Java and Javascript are completely different. One is a system language and the other is for web development.
>>
>>53203782
Graduating as an engineer doesn't mean shit if you're going for programming. There's a catch-22: you need experience to get a programming job but you need a programming job to get experience.
>>
>>53200338
Learn Java and frameworks for it and you can make 6 figures remote easy.
>>
>>53201170
> SQL (why)
Because every serious application, especially enterprise level development requires a relational database.

The future is embedded databases like H2 and Derby
>>
>>53200338
All enterprise web apps are Java or C#.
Pick one and profit.
>>
>>53205483
No, you just lie and figure it out. Christ these no dick fucking peasants.
>>
>>53205499
>This
Tell them you know jackson, hibernate, struts, maven integration, etc. and recruiters cream their panties.
>>
>>53205549
How do you lie about referees? How do they interview a referee and find that your sham project never existed?
>>
>>53205554
Spring over Struts these days
>>
>>53205518
I cringe anytime I hear this relating to databases:
>The future is

I really don't see anything replacing Oracle, Microsoft SQL, or PostgreSQL.

The one that REALLY pisses me off is people trying to say object-oriented databases are the future. Sure, they work well in web development but they're absolutely moronic on the back end.
>>
>>53205549
>Lie
Unless you're working for a startup it's a good way to get your ass blacklisted.

There are employment blacklists.
>>
>>53205601
>Spring
I never got to mess with Spring or AspectJ for that matter. The project I'm on has Struts and it's so deeply embedded in the piece of shit, I don't think there's enough time left for me on this earth to remove it :(
>>
>>53200338
You cannot beat Java, at least not in the tech talent-deprived areas of the US. Employers will literally take anyone who can understand the difference between object inheritance and object composition.
>>
>>53205630
>Oracle, Microsoft SQL, or PostgreSQL.
The problem with each of these is that as security becomes a larger concern with sysadmin duties, having a database that requires outside connections, even if they sit on the same machine, have huge fucking vulnerabilities.

ESPECIALLY with Oracle. The entire reason that Oracle SQL exists is to keep incompetent over-salaried DBA's on staff year round. And I'm not even going to touch on how retarded Oracle is with simple things like primary keys and auto-generated ID's.

People are moving to embedded databases in droves because it frees you from having some information assurance asshole constantly shitting on your project. It frees you from having to track down every system your product is deployed on and updating their database. It also frees you and your customers/clients from having to hire a bunch of DBA drones that spend 90% of their time picking their nose.

>I will say that Postgres is extremely nice for some niche activities like geo databases. However, H2 spanks Postgres. And with native Java code.
>>
>>53205755
>It frees you from having to track down every system your product is deployed on and updating their database
Why on earth would one be deploying databases to endpoints? The correct structure is connections to a centralized database cluster. It's done this way for latency and security.
>>
>>53205755
>database that requires outside connections
Also an issue. The only connections to the database should be inside the corporate network.
>>
>>53205842
>Why on earth would one be deploying databases to endpoints?
Distributed networks. I can't go into details.

However, that's one example. And even with a centralized database, the amount of security concerns that come with having a database that sits outside of the webserver/servlet container still outweigh those that you get with an embedded database.

You lose absolutely nothing with an embedded database, and you just invalidated a bunch of senseless DBA jobs.
>>
>>53203611
>fuck her so hard she couldn't walk for a week
you would probably premo ejac and be puffed just waddling up to her you fat greasy neckbeard
>>
>>53205920
Even inside a corporate network, every port that's opened, even if that network is locked down, is considered an attack vector.
>>
test
>>
>>53202102
This fucking bait. What are you doing stop
>>
>>53205951
>You lose absolutely nothing with an embedded database
You lose data mining and reporting on a large scale. It works fine for web, but then again so does setting up individual mysql databases.
>>
>>53205971
How are you supposed to get data out of the network? Let's say that you went for the lockdown method, to do any kind of analysis you now have to build APIs. Another layer of abstraction slows the process.
>>
>>53206124
>>53206103
Most embedded databases have privileged terminals and connection modes you can turn on & off.

If you want to run analytics on your embedded database, fire it up in non-embedded mode (the webserver will still function during this time since it's all brokered through a standard JDBC connection). Run your analysis, and throw it back in embedded mode when you're done.

Easy peasy.
>>
Java, you'll learn other stuff like js because the whole web uses it. Many backend systems are built on Java. You'll learn SOAP messaging, JMS, XML-RPC, REST, dependency injection, AOP, ORM whatever stuff and after understanding how it works in Java you'll understand how it works in other languages as well.

And also Java seems to be where the money is at. When taking a job you'll probably end up fixing crap other developers did. You don't need to build something by yourself from zero.
>>
>>53200338
>enterprise
Java
C#
PHP
HTML/CSS/JS
>>
>>53206276
>end up fixing crap other developers did.
And wishing you could track them down and put an end to pain that they've wrought on this world.
>>
>>53205648
Another 12yo that exists solely in my rear view mirror
>>
File: PmfPl.jpg (60 KB, 803x726) Image search: [Google]
PmfPl.jpg
60 KB, 803x726
>>53206350
>PHP
No one makes enterprise web applications with PHP. PHP is a scripting language for making hipster wordpress themes with security issues, web site contact forms, and other random dime a dozen peasantry.
>>
>>53206805
Spoken like a true NEET. You've never even talked to an employer, have you....

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/dreaded-recruiter-blacklist-does-exist-you-karen-huller-cprw
>>
>>53206841
Yup. Ruby, Python, PHP, etc are good for pump & dump applications.

Enterprise you're going to be doing C# or Java. Sharepoint seems to be making some waves for industries that invested in it, however.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.