[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If the universe is really a simulation, how can i cause a bug
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 5
File: the-simulation-hypothesis.jpg (15 KB, 205x270) Image search: [Google]
the-simulation-hypothesis.jpg
15 KB, 205x270
If the universe is really a simulation, how can i cause a bug to make it crash?
>>
>>53966692

Install gentoo
>>
Make an integer from a pointer without casting
>>
The universe was written in Coq mate
>>
It was written in haskell, you can't crash it
>>
It's not
>>
Try crashing atoms with high velocity it might cause variable overflow or some shit.
>>
>>53966692
>>
>>53966692

Does the universe CPU have automatic bounds checking?
>>
>>53966692
There simply may not be any. For example celullar automatons are very simple (basically a grid with table-lookup based update rule), and yet they can host entire universes. You can't break table based update rule.

Simulation hypothesis is meaningless because it doesn't add anything new.
>>
It's bug-free.
>>
>>53966692
The universe isn't a simulation because irrational numbers exist.
>>
>>53966999
there's more bugs than humans familio
>>
>>53967005
They exist only as symbols in your head, they do not exist as a full string of numbers.
>>
>>53967005
irrational numbers are are just tuples of numbers... no different than fractions.
>>
File: 1459315866830.jpg (167 KB, 734x760) Image search: [Google]
1459315866830.jpg
167 KB, 734x760
>>53966692
Someone has already done this. His name is Donald Trump.
>>
>>53967020
but if it's a simulation... a computer has to represent our minds as bytes.
>>
>>53966692
Study physics, then tell me :^)
>>
>>53966692
>how to make it crash
>make it crash
>flaw gets fixed
>simulation gets harder to crash
>no escape anymore
nice try aliens
>>
Why do you assume a simulation is run by computers?
>>
>>53967061
It's the only assumption our tiny minds can grasp.
>>
>>53966999
It's also side-effect free
Literally the minute something goes wrong, the entire universe would vanish, since it isn't stored in memory
>>
>>53966692
try to change a static constant, like G, h or kB
>>
>>53967049
You don't understand. The are no real irrational numbers, only the idea of irrational number in your head which is represented as a finite pattern of neural activations. This representation is finite, thus it is perfectly OK with being a part of larger simulation.

TL;DR; Infinity is just a meme, a 8 sign rotated by 90 degrees. There is no physical infinity, it doesn't have to be represented.
>>
>>53966692
Learn which inputs can be buffered, execute them in various scenarios, start a pastebin listing out any bugs you find
>>
>>53967029
Transcendental numbers aren't algebraic over their field. You can't write them in terms of finitely many rational numbers.
>>
>>53967089
or your virginity
>>
>>53967117
I can write a definition of some Transcendental numbers using finitely many first order logic symbols.
>>
>>53967091
My point is that math it doesn't matter. A computer would just simulate the chemistry in our brains.
>>
>>53967122
#rekt
>>
the universe is generated on the go,
exeptions are made up, as they are thrown;
there only exists as much universe as i can percieve.
i am alone;
The only thing that exists is myself.
In the beginning there was darkness. And the darkness was without form and void.
And in addition to the darkness there was also me. And I moved upon the face of the darkness and I saw that I was alone.

Let There Be Light.
>>
>>53967091
>TL;DR; Infinity is just a meme, a 8 sign rotated by 90 degrees. There is no physical infinity, it doesn't have to be represented.

now THIS is my kind of logic.

anyway all numbers are rational, they're numbers.

fractions are irrational as fuck.

pi is bullshit because no circle is perfect.
>>
>>53966999
It also means free will is impossible when you're inside the universe. You only have decision making up to the point where the laws of the universe allow it.

But if you could get outside the universe, would you still be able to exist in the first place?
>>
>>53967091
This, they only exist in our minds as ideas, and even though we can calculate them the computer doesn't need to calculate all the digits as we're doing the calculating for it.
The existence of those numbers proves nothing
>>53967122
Kek'd, nice dubs
>>
>>53967117
Sorry, it's still early. I thought he meant imaginary numbers.
>>
>>53967156
Complex numbers are a necessary part of quantum mechanics.
>>
we /x/ now
>>
>>53966692
You're chrootjailed in a sandbox environment. Just enjoy it til you're updated by the next justin biebertron2082.
>>
>>53967151
>pi is bullshit because no circle is perfect.
wat
>>
>>53967151
I know a circle that is perfect - the gravitational field lines of a black hole.
>>
>>53967199

still subject to asymmetrical atoms having slightly different gravity in different places at different times.

not a perfect circle.
>>
>>53967199
I don't think that's true for rotating or electrically charged black holes.
>>
>>53967210
around the center of gravity though?
>>
I don't know about simulation, but if the universe is this enormous fluctuating thing to the point where every inconceivably improbable thing eventually happens, like some sort of automata trying every result all the time, it's the closest thing you can get to a miracle-performing god, you know.
>>
>>53967223

around the center of HATE

i now want to listen to technical death metal about the universe and shit
>>
>>53967148
Stare as deeply down a barrel of a gun as you can and then pull the magic trigger
>>53967153
Of course you'd exist, just like if we simulated a universe and then brought someone out of it.
>>53967151
What's the square root of minus one, fuckface?
>pi is bullshit because no circle is perfect
Mathematically speaking, there is such thing as a perfect circle, it only exists in our head, with an irrational accuracy.
>>
>>53966692
Divide by zero.
>>
What if bugs happen from time to time, the universe crashes and some ayylium admin simply restores a backup after he fixed the issue?
No one inside the simulation would notice
>>
>>53967263

sure it exists on paper, in your head, and in theory.

thank god and the universe that the 3rd dimension isn't all perfect and shit. autists like you would just fap to dodecahedrons and arches.
>>
>>53967276
Déja vu
>>
>>53967056
now that you revealed that information the aliens will fix our intelligence so that this idea will never occur again and we will always openly discuss how to crash the matrix
>>
create a true vacuum, this will crash and reboot the universe
>>
>>53967056
Do they have a public bug tracker?
>>
As long as PI doesn't show signs of loops in it's decimal numbers it is save to say we do not live in a computer generated reality.
>>
>>53967122
>implying anyone on /g/ has a gf
>fat arch mom-basement-living neckbeard joking about virginity
>>
>>53967326
> we will always openly discuss how to crash the matrix
what if thats our purpose?
>we are the AI to bugtest the simulation
>>
>>53967091
I'm an infinite absolute being and what is this?
t. god
>>
File: nothing_to_see_here-300x238.jpg (18 KB, 300x238) Image search: [Google]
nothing_to_see_here-300x238.jpg
18 KB, 300x238
>>53967364
>fat arch mom-basement-living neckbeard being butthurt
>>
God must hire some Pajeets
>>
File: image.png (36 KB, 394x314) Image search: [Google]
image.png
36 KB, 394x314
>>53967317
s t o p
>>
>>53967263
I doubt you could exist outside of the universe unless this "outside" has the same physical rules but with added rules on top.

It's a bit like getting a fish out the water, it doesn't survive very long in the atmosphere. If we took a human outside the laws of the universe it would crumble, explode or instantly vanish. The things that make you "you" no longer exist. It's a different set of rules where only the supposed creator of the universe can exist (if something outside the universe or multiverse does indeed exist).
>>
>>53967317
>>53967425
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA
>>
Why is /x/ leaking into /g/?
>>
>>53966692
The owners of the simulator could fix the bug, rewind before the bug etc. and you wouldn't know that anything happned.
>>
>>53967317
Wouldn't the déjà vu happen for everyone at the same time?
>>
>>53966692
Every time a bug is found they fix it and restore a snapshot from a few microseconds before the bug was triggered. From your perspective nothing happens.
>>
>>53967454
it relates to technology and it's interesting

or would you rather have another smartphone thread?
>>
>>53967481
not if the deja vu itself is a bug in the restoration process and it isn't global
>>
>>53966692
it's not
>>
Simulation,

You probably assume we are the first one and so there would be many bugs
>>
>>53967454

proof that multiverse theory and string theory are right.

also AYYYYY
>>
>>53967442
>vsauce here
>>
>>53966692
well maybe it happens all the time. hell our universe could be buggy and glitchy as hell but you wouldn't even realize it. For example,do you remember last time you heard a distant noise out of nowhere, or felt like you've seen a person on doorstep and et cetra. You thought 'i must have seen it wrong' and continued.
Or think this. what would you do if some black geometric void appeared right in front of you, stayed there for 3 seconds, then vanished?
>>
>>53967633

i'd grab my AK and go innawoods
>>
>>53966692
The whole point of the concept that the universe is a simulation is that if it were, it absolutely wouldn't matter to our lives or anything really. We could never tell.
>>
>>53967633
Last time that happened it turned out to be you mother.
>>
>>53967633

I like to think that supernatural or otherwise unbelievable things happen all the time but they're so mind-boggling your brain just filters them out

But I'm sure I'm wrong and nothing supernatural has ever happened or ever will
>>
>>53967879
If it happened it's by definition not supernatural, but just natural.
>>
IF THE UNIVERSE IS A SIMULATION, HOW CAN IT POSSIBLE WHEN IT WOULD TAKE AN INFINITE AMOUNT OF COMPUTING POWER TO FULLY SIMULATE ONE SINGLE BOSON?

CHECKMATE MATRIXFAGS!
>>
>>53967927
Infinity isn't real, kid.
>>
File: image.png (398 KB, 960x554) Image search: [Google]
image.png
398 KB, 960x554
>>53967148
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.