[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what went wrong, /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 11
File: rb10years400.png (43 KB, 400x140) Image search: [Google]
rb10years400.png
43 KB, 400x140
what went wrong, /g/?
>>
Like 90% of people don't have a dedicated music player anymore. They just use their phone
>>
>>53954209
>what's wrong with perfection
nothing. It's perfect.

Sure as hell is a lot better than any of the shit big companies have managed to produce for their portable players, EVER. It's amazing how they still manage to fuck up something so fucking simple in so many goddamn retarded ways.
>>
are they still working on this?
>>
>>53954263
My phone already barely lasts 2 days.If I started playing my music on it, I'd have to recharge multiple times a day. Meanwhile my portable player goes a week without recharging.

Using a phone for music is just stupid. The overhead from the OS is way too much.
>>
>>53954263
i still use my cowom j3 in my car though
>>
>>53954299
tfw no sansa clip+ with a 3000mah battery
>>
>>53954282

https://github.com/Rockbox/rockbox (read-only mirror)

Latest commit April 3, 2016
>>
>>53954326
Mine is a regular old clip, the first one. Even though it's old as fuck and secondhand, it still works gloriously with rockbox. I bought one of the new clips too but holy hell it's utter crap.
>>
>>53954209
Put this shit on my sansa fuze v2 and it constantly crashed just plugging it into my computer's USB. Sometimes it wouldn't crash but wouldn't show up in explorer. It was a miracle when it actually worked.
>>
File: 1453207201195.png (30 KB, 200x193) Image search: [Google]
1453207201195.png
30 KB, 200x193
>>53954554

>fuze v2

:^)
>>
still use this on my old iPod. much better than having to use iTunes
>>
Used it on my sansa clip+
it was way better than the default os, but the player was a badly made piece of shit, three times I sent it back and three times after about a month the audio jack broke.
>>
File: Sansa_clip_plus_8gb_black.jpg (1000 KB, 3907x2601) Image search: [Google]
Sansa_clip_plus_8gb_black.jpg
1000 KB, 3907x2601
>>53955045

>I'm a fucking ogre who can't take care of his things
>>
My new car has a USB.
>>
It sucks and is buggy as hell but still better than the default sansa os in clip zip+
>>
>>53954209
>want to see this on YOUR MP3 player?
>Well I hope you know your ARM assembly!
>>
File: Untitled.png (48 KB, 565x219) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
48 KB, 565x219
>>53955160
I treated the mp3 player very carefully, and although it's generally fine there is a very flimsy connection between the audio jack and the circuit board.
I was using headphones with a larger profile jack than the one in your picture, which probably gave slight bumps a greater torque on the jack that in a few months the metal was fatigued enough to break.
Trust me, I look after electronics very carefully, the clip+ just has a design flaw with the jack. You would almost certainly experience this too if you used headphones with a larger jack more like this.
>>
>>53955342
why would you continue to use this style of jack instead of switching to a right angle after the second time it happened then?

adapters are like 2c
>>
>>53955160
>lost my sansa clip after a couple years of usage
>bought clip zip
>still chugging along years later
best products ever made
>>
>>53955674
Yeah, I probably should have.
I didn't really realize the problem till I opened it up and voided the warranty by attempting to fix it anyhow.
>>
>>53954209
I use it on my Sansa ClipZip+. It's awesome. Battery life is better when FLAC than with original firmware.

>>53954263
> carrying that heavy brick that lasts one day
>>
I'm in a tight spot right now since I refuse to get on a contract and all the budget phones have shit RAM and make the music skip too often. Still nice to have hundreds of albums at any given point. Don't give me that shit about I-pods because the scroll wheel is retarded.
>>
>>53955971
xiaomi redmi 3 is bretty gud for a budget phone

or get a clip+
>>
File: 1456012906716.gif (1 MB, 540x349) Image search: [Google]
1456012906716.gif
1 MB, 540x349
Rockbox its self is good; the weakest link is (as usual) its lazy asshole devs who refuse to work on anything except the iPod Classic lines and the Sansa Clip+ lines, because "they work just fine bro, just buy a brand new player if you want to use it!".

A good example would be the xDuoo X3, the devs literally lie and say it can't be ported, and then some random enthusiast writes his own working port (the absolute madman).

What I'm saying is the devs literally do not give a fuck anymore. If you want rockbox on a player that's not 5 years out of production you're basically SOL. Thankfully stock firmwares have been getting a bit better (Sansa Clip Sport is bretty gud)
>>
>>53954299
How do you manage to get two days? Which phone?
>>
>>53956258
>being pushy on something provided for free
>>
>>53954209
Doesn't use the standard rating tag for some reason
>>
I currently use Rockbox on Sansa Clip+.

When I plug the device in, it isn't recognized. Nothing from dmesg, no entry created as /dev/sda*, and when the /dev/sda* is created, mount hangs.

The only way I can mount the device is by having it plugged in during booting the computer - and that only works half of the time.

It's a pain to transfer music, which isn't as bad as it sounds, but it's still very annoying.

I don't even know if this is a Rockbox problem, but I have a feeling it is.
>>
Is there a list of supported pmps?
>>
>>53956558
If these cunts didn't exist, something better would pop up. So fucking yes i'm going to be pushy.
>>
>>53954209
What did?
It works on the Sansas and no new mp3 players being made.
You could say it's finished.
>>
I would kill for it on my fiio x3 or x5, the hardware is awesome but their software is dogshit.
>>
>>53957089
I don't get why manufacturers try when Rockbox is a thing, they could just optimize it for their device and give it a custom UI
>>
For those with Clips, make sure you get the dev build and not the last release. It's been improved substantially, and they're still working on optimizing power usage.
>>
>>53957133
is the opus bug when starting a track fixed?
>>
>>53957109
It's a good question, the x3 software was basically unusable when I first got it. It took a long time to get to something even approaching functional. They could have started with rockbox from the very start and it would have been much better.
>>
They never released an android app
>>
>>53957133
Can you update Rockbox on a clip+ or do you need to blow it all away and start from scratch?
>>
>>53956776
boot in stock OS, left+power button. mount and load music, prob solved
>>
>>53954942
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>53957835

Literally just drag the rockbox folder and replace older files. Don't need any utility after the initial installation.
>>
>>53957517
>being this new
It's just not supported by the main site
>>
>>53957133

Yeah, I don't get why they never updated the release build, it's been far superceded
>>
Has anyone got a 128gb micro sd to work with the clip+? I'm considering buying one.
>>
>>53960610
I can try mine quick to make sure but I'm almost certain it works if the card is fat32
>>
>>53960716
>>53960610
Confirmed, fully functional.
>>
>>53957517
http://rasher.dk/rockbox/android/
>>
>>53960746
Great. Thanks for testing.
>>
>>53957109
muh GPL
>>
>>53954209
Every single compatible device listed on their website is discontinued.
Every one of those devices sells for more than what it cost when it was new because of ebay scalpers.

There isn't even anything new to port it to, since the new sansa players have a shitty undocumented SoC and sony's high end mp3 walkmans are actually good this time around.
>>
>>53964701
>Every single compatible device listed on their website is discontinued
>Every one of those devices sells for more than what it cost when it was new because of ebay scalpers

Pretty much this. Rockbox was great. When there was actual HARDWARE around to install it on. As of now, it's a project that caters to people that already own the supported players, and the community is full of some of the most obnoxious neckbeards in the world if you even suggest the faintest idea that the project is stagnant, and if no attempts are made with new players, it's running on borrowed time. We'll eventually hit a wall when the final Clip+ dies for good once it's OLED dissolves into darkness

Sandisk doesn't give 1:1 RMA's anymore either, and are giving dead Clip+ owners Fuze+'s instead last I checked, but those are bound to run out, and the Fuze+ still has a horrible touchpad as of the last working Rockbox nightly for it
>>
>>53956258
you should demand a refund.
>>
File: 1436216319578.png (180 KB, 599x355) Image search: [Google]
1436216319578.png
180 KB, 599x355
>Buy Clip+
>Try to play music while it's charging
>Noise
Always do the opposite of what /g/ says.
>>
>>53954209
>Open Source
>>
>>53965189
This is dildos, I just want to listen to music.

Rockbox is great software but only works on old shit that's discontinued.
FiiO is great hardware but only works with its own shitty software which can't do the simplest things I want.

Nobody will ever make good hardware or software again because retards with smartphones have taken over the world. Why have a music player that can play for a week when you can listen to three whole hours on your phone?
>>
My old Nano 2nd gen ran this. Fucking loved it.
>>
>>53969377
i had a Clip+ but didn't use it since i got a new phone.
It was just one more thing to carry around.
>>
>>53954299
Wrong. Playing music hardly drains the battery. Headphones with mic and controls mapped with next/previous track to volume control allows you to listen to music without using your display at all which is one of the biggest culprits in battery drain.
>>
>waaaaah why doesnt rockbox support my device??

Rockbox devs may be assholes, but at least they're honest.
Go port it yourself, you dumb shit.
>>
I still have my Sansa Clip RockBox'd, but haven't used it in I think...well, forever. I miss it obviously but am fine with my phone. Despite its tiny size it's just another thing that in my carry.

My commute is only 30 minutes, and I rarely if ever listen to music while walking around. Eh.

It's missed but unnecessary at this time. It has definitely been a good 7 years or more?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>53969643

I use mine to play pokemon crystal at work, fucking excellent.

An actual GBC would probably get me written up, but this just looks like I'm adjusting a playlist or something.

It's even better than fucking with a smartphone, since everyone knows smartphone = fucking around (unless you're some kind of manager), but normies don't know you can play actual games on old pieces of shit.

Also the sequenced music support is great, it means that 2 gigs can actually hold a whole fuckton of music since these formats were designed to be shared over pony express-tier networks
>>
>>53956776

>wut

Sansa Clip+ has a microSD card slot, after the initial flashing I don't even bother connecting through USB. Just format the card to FAT32, drag and drop files onto the card, put it back into the player works fine for me.

/csg/ can hook you up with cheap microSD cards if you live in some shitty third world country
>>
>>53971483
Do your managers seriously not notice you staring at your ipod and fucking around?
>>
>>53960610

Yes, it works fine in mine. You just need to format it to FAT32 first (need a third party app for cuckdows lel, use gparted)
>>
>>53966509

>Using the cheapest possible chinkshit USB charger

>not owning an oscilloscope and measuring noise ratings on all chargers you own

It's like you don't even belong on this board
>>
File: controlchart.gif (5 KB, 409x208) Image search: [Google]
controlchart.gif
5 KB, 409x208
>>53971588

No, not really?

I'm not in food service or anything lel.

When everything's going well I have little breaks of 2-3 minutes before the machine spits out the board and I have to load a new one in and do the inspection
>>
File: 1460254730611.png (99 KB, 260x244) Image search: [Google]
1460254730611.png
99 KB, 260x244
>>53956558
>>53965855
>Its free so you cant complain meme

Nice one dickhead, next you're gonna say 'if you don't like it just fork it!'
>>
>>53971885

>other people need to work for free!!!! fix it!!!! fix it now!!!!

>lol i don't know how to program

why are you even here
>>
>people who grew up in the mp3 player era now have jobs
>most of them will use their phone as mp3 players
>newer generations laugh at the thought of mp3 players

>primary market now are audiophiles, poorfags, and poorfags placebophile with their sub $100~$200 forever low-fi "portable setup"
>>
File: 1447701429794.png (75 KB, 198x198) Image search: [Google]
1447701429794.png
75 KB, 198x198
>>53971906
>wah wah you cant make me do any work! I just want to famewhore and act like I'm special on forums and IRC, not do any kind of actual work for my project!

This is why Open Source devs are literally the worst. If they didn't want to work on their project they could hand over the reigns to someone else but they want to act like they're the savior to mankind for their code they wrote 10 years ago. Piss off.
>>
File: 1449728018891.jpg (259 KB, 1000x1502) Image search: [Google]
1449728018891.jpg
259 KB, 1000x1502
>>53972018

>hand over the reigns (sic) to someone else

https://github.com/Rockbox/rockbox

"someone" is you, faggot

also

>capitalizing open source
>"open source" vs "free software"
>animeposter
>>
>>53971483
kek, also played some Keen at work on my rockboxed ipod. Sysadmin is cool, but I eventually moved on. I still use the ipod but I haven't fired up the gameboy emulator in years.

>>53972018
There are no reins to hand over. I submitted a fix and it went very smoothly.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.