[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brave
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
File: 185.png (58 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
185.png
58 KB, 600x600
What are your opinions on brave /g/?
>>
good idea
Shame it'll never get off the ground.
>>
Deader than this thread
>>
Why get and entire new browser when you can just use an adblocker like everyone already does?
>>
File: Cfjn5dEUYAASOXA.jpg large.jpg (71 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Cfjn5dEUYAASOXA.jpg large.jpg
71 KB, 1024x576
>>53950043
this.
Solid concept but people that care about this kinda stuff are using an ad-blocker anyway.
>>
They want to steal money from ads companies...
Stealing the jews is not a good idea, ever...
>>
>>53950106
Am I reading this right? You can make money just for using their browser?
>>
Literally botnet browser. Putting their ads instead of original ones. Like, wow
>>
>>53950311
Yes, but I'm pretty sure they can only afford it if their concept takes off. You get paid in BTC into the Brave BTC wallet, but you have to provide your personal information.
>>
I like the logo so I'll consider using it when it comes out of beta.
:V)
>>
File: Capture.png (210 KB, 325x287) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
210 KB, 325x287
Can you automate it so you just keep it on a spare computer just visisting different websites 24/7 earning you sweet sweet BTC?
>>
G0oD FuCkInG GoYm >>53950561

>>53950904 SMART ASS INCOMIN'
>>
>>53950904
You definitely spend more in electricity than you get by viewing a bunch of ads at like 1$ per thousand views
>>
>>53951800
then what they pay me anyway is way to less for me to whore myself out
>>
The problem is that this model gives Brave a financial incentive to compromise its supposed principles. Because Brave is funded by taking a cut from these transactions, they make more money for showing more ads to more users in less privacy-respecting ways.

If it does become widely-used, it'll follow the path that Facebook did, slowly going back on its privacy guarantees until the only privacy guarantee left is "you're guaranteed not to have any", and seeking more ways to get more ads in front of people.

Remember that advertising is inherently adversarial. The whole concept of advertising is "Hey, buddy. You with the website. We want to distract your users from what they want to be paying attention to, with the intent of persuading them to spend money they otherwise would not. Wanna help? We'll pay you!" Hence why no browser should be in the ad business. The user agent should serve me and me alone, not people who want to stop me from doing what I want to do to give me a come-on.
>>
>>53951885
Yes but you would have spent that electricity anyway just by browsing normally
>>
>>53950043
>>53950106
Brave is faster than adblocker, also once they iron out compatibility it'll be easily the best browser.
>>
Why would this work? The people that care about advertisements use an ad blocker.
The rest don't care and are bombarded.
I imagine the amount made in bitcoins would be minuscule.

This feels like Vivaldi. Chunks of shit from other programs with a little coating on top to separate it from the others.
>>
>>53952044
What you aren't getting is if you select all ads to be blocked, brave works faster than any other browser out there.
>>
http://www.businessinsider.com/newspaper-publishers-send-cease-and-desist-to-brave-browser-2016-4

the jews hate being outjewed
>>
File: 1460076766909.png (86 KB, 600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1460076766909.png
86 KB, 600x1200
>>53950119
>stealing the jews
>>
>>53952116

>Eich provided a lengthy statement in response to the letter (which you can read in full below.)
>In it, he said: "The NAA sent a letter to Brave Software that is filled with false assertions. The NAA has fundamentally misunderstood Brave. Brave is the solution, not the enemy."

That's reason enough to avoid Brave. Why would I want someone who's trying to work *with* advertisers instead of *against* them, regardless of whether the advertisers like or hate this? The real solution here is block all ads, all the time, no exceptions
>>
>>53952207
Well, because, like, websites need to make money.
>>
It's probably going to crash and burn, but I want Brave to succeed just to spite Mozilla.
>>
>>53952294
That's not my problem, it's theirs. Previously they ran pop-ups because they "needed to make money", back in the early 2000s. And all major browsers started building in popup blockers because of how aggressively annoying advertisers and their clients were being. This is the exact same thing, round two.

Besides, if the goal of your website is to make money by running advertising, the web is probably better off without it anyway. That's where we get no-content clickbait from.
>>
>>53952059
>if you select all ads to be blocked, brave works faster than any other browser out there.
Is that the results so far in their beta testing? Will everything not slow down when they add features to their browser?
>>
>>53952369
>That's not my problem, it's theirs.
For now.

>Besides, if the goal of your website is to make money by running advertising, the web is probably better off without it anyway.
I agree with you here, the web is definitely better off without 4chan.
>>
>>53952116
>In January, the CEO of the Interactive Advertising Bureau, Randall Rothenberg, ripped into Brave and other ad blockers in a speech at the US internet advertising trade body’s annual leadership conference.

>Of Brave, he said: “

>The latest ad-blocking company is a Web browser startup called “Brave.” It was launched by former Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich, whose last major investment was in banning gay marriage in California.
lel
>>
>>53952472
>>For now.
what does this even mean? It's never been the customers' responsibility to support a business. It's always been the business's responsibility to figure out how to attract and retain customers and make money. And if the business fails at this, they - not the customers - have to either find a different strategy to do it or go out of business.
>>
>>53949874
>It aims to block website trackers and remove intrusive internet advertisements, replacing them with ads sold by Eich's company.
Remind me why I should care?
>>
>>53952526
>what does this even mean?
Well it becomes your problem if they throw up a paywall, or block you out for using an ad blocker, or just go out of business.
>>
I don't want to be a chip in some dillwit's latest clever and epin xD internet monetizing scheme.
>>
>>53952447
The browser is fast because it doesn't even bother getting the ads in the first place.
>>
>>53952610
I don't care if some shit site can't support itself, the good content creators will always be able to support themselves through customers
>>
>>53952610
The first is a perfectly acceptable solution. The Wall Street Journal and NYT do it. A lot of places don't though because they know that if they forced people to pay real money for their content, nobody would. Which, again, is their problem, not mine.

The second can always be worked around, because I control the machine the content is displayed on. Once their server has sent it to me, its out of their hands.

The third is also a perfectly acceptable outcome.
>>
>>53952656
What
You can't tell a website "give me your website without ads"
You say "give me your website" and then the ads are blocked from being grabbed by some mechanism on your end, be it built in to the browser by Brave, tacked on top with uBlock Origin/Ad Block, or before it gets back to the browser with privoxy.
>>
>>53949874
botnet
>>
>>53949874
Getting cucked by ads is still fucking stupid. Unless they show me ads I'm likely to click on, it's still a huge waste. They will probably fuck up and start showing ads for shit I have zero interest in (or just give up and start showing the usual shady/scammy shit ads they claim they're trying to avoid) and go back to adblockers.
>>
>>53952827
Clearly you do not understand web technologies, brave very much simply does not get the ads in the first place.
>>
>based on battery-sucking Chromium
>UI is HTML+CSS
>written with JS and Node
>lowest common denominator cross platform shit

Fuck that, it's like cancer incarnate. Give me a battery-respecting based browser based on webkit or gecko/servo built with a real programming language (C, C++, Objective-C, Swift, Rust) and native UI toolkits instead.
>>
>>53953046
>battery
Who cares about this mobile garbo
>>
>>53953063
90% of the PC using population. Only /g/ and grandpas use desktops now, it's all laptops.
>>
>>53949874
"block ads" -> replace ads

shit concept. uBlock origin or go home.
>>
>>53953112
uBlock is better than ABP but it's nothing compared to webkit content blockers. Content blockers are tiny bytecode programs compiled from JSON blocklists that run before every page loads and tells webkit which resources it's allowed to make requested for. It's infinitely faster and less memory-intensive than even uBlock because it doesn't have to inject any CSS or do any kind of DOM crawling/regex/etc.
>>
>>53953084
>implying I don't have
>laptop
>desktop
>smart phone
>tablet
>>
>>53953084
i'm not him, but i just want to let you know that you ar retarded
>>
>>53953191
>>53953193
You're the exception, at least in the US. The only people I know who own desktops are a handful of my software engineer friends and a couple gamers. The non-tech folks are all laptop-only.
>>
>>53953226
>US.
cuckland >>>/out/
>>
>>53952016
How in the FUCK using an adblocker is a performance bottleneck?
>>
>>53952016
if you want performance use hosts, and then adblocker's only task would be to hide the placeholders
>>
qt 3.14 developer is working on it
>>
>>53949874
>What are your opinions on brave /g/?
The worst UI choices i've ever seen in a application, ever.
>>
>>53953338
because with adblocker you still download the ads.
>>
>>53953581
nope, try ublock.
>>
>>53953581
What shitty adblocker are you using?

>>53953338
Extensions are usually written in Javascript.
>>
I don't know how the browser would help me but I like it because it seems rebellious. I think there is a line that it crosses that needs to be crossed.
>>
psuedo shepherd of the internet general

>been jerking off in IRC for little under two decades
>hate everything that isn't your hidden channel with the 10 people who "get it" the majority of whom only post a word every few months
>We must remove ____ from the internet because it wasn't how it was 10 years ago
>>
>>53953226
just from repairing machines for family and friends I see a lot of desktops. There's a lot of old farts around who don't see much reason to replace their Pentium 4s.
>>
>>53952475
>Rothenberg

Jews gonna Jew.
>>
never heard of it

downloading it now though
>>
SO BRAVE
>>
holy shit ive been banned like 109381908 times
been on this site since 2011
made like 2103981091239 threads
but this one is POPPIN'
>>
>>53953046
Why the new browsers (Brave, VIvaldi) are written in JS and Node? Is there a genuinely good reason to do this or is it just convenience/ignorance?
>>
>>53957503
convenience, I think. Easier to write a UI in HTML/CSS/JS. There's no real benefits to it AFAIK.
>>
>>53957503
1) Because it's the current hipster trend
2) It lets lazy web front end babbies who are allergic to learning desktop-oriented languages and toolkits to feel like they're creating real software

>>53957523
>Easier to write a UI in HTML/CSS/JS.
It's really not, trust me. I write consumer-facing mobile and desktop software for a living. I can't speak for Android stuff but Cocoa on Apple platforms and Qt5 on Windows/Linux absolutely destroys HTML+CSS+JS in terms of ease of use, power, and performance when creating user interfaces.

Front end web devs are just phenomenally lazy and think one stack should be used for everything from kitchen timers to enterprise web applications.
>>
>>53950458
>paid in bitcoin
Yeah sorry not looking at ads for monopoly money.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.