[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You can only pick ONE of the following: C, C++ or Java
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 11
File: moot.jpg (19 KB, 450x341) Image search: [Google]
moot.jpg
19 KB, 450x341
You can only pick ONE of the following: C, C++ or Java
>>
That's not even a question:

Java.
>>
Java
>>
>>53940434
Java sucks i'll pick C & C++
>>
moot really let himself go

c++
>>
>>53940434
C++ easy.
>>
Pff java++ plebs
>>
I don’t know C but I hear people sucking it’s dick here all the time, why is nobody picking it?
>>
>>53940540
Because C++ has everything C has plus extra
:^)
>>
Java is literally C++ with training wheels
>>
>>53940544
its C+=1 or C++ xD so its like C but better by 1 xD
>>
Anybody who didn't choose C is a retard. I would rather not be restricted by platforms
>>
>>53940434
C is too old, Java is for babbys

C++
>>
>>53940434
C and then build C++ and Java compilers so I can use other languages you fucking slut.
>>
File: Come_at_me_bro.gif (486 KB, 500x225) Image search: [Google]
Come_at_me_bro.gif
486 KB, 500x225
>>53940434
.... C#
>>
File: space cuck.jpg (29 KB, 622x482) Image search: [Google]
space cuck.jpg
29 KB, 622x482
>>53940434
C++
>>
>>53940786
agreed :^)
*comes on anon*
>>
>>53940786
>Microsoft Java
>>
C++ easy
>>
Visual Basic
>>
>>53940781
That's pretty retarded, Anon.

If you start with C++, you already have C, and you already have an OO language, so it would be much easier to create a Java compiler.
>>
>>53940434
C
>>
>>53940728
> xD
>>
File: 1459486672633.jpg (697 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1459486672633.jpg
697 KB, 1600x900
delphi
>>
>>53940434
Java
>>
>>53940868
Learning C++ doesn't simultaneously teach you C.

They're two entirely different languages, especially the modern releases.
>>
>>53940434
C++11

It's not retarded like Java, and you can do high level programming in it. It's really pretty good nowadays.
>>
>>53940540
Imagine you're building a house:
>Java
Materials are provided in the store for free.

>C
You have to chop down the wood yourself, mold steel into nails yourself, chemically blend paint yourself, melt sand and limestone yourself for windows yourself, basically it's not worth it
>>
C

Because I'm really into microcontrollers

Which is basically the only fucking reason you should ever be using C
>>
>>53940434
C any day, every day

C++ is bloated garbage stuffed full of complexity, “features” and shitty anti-design

Java is generic useless enterprise garbage

C is the language of the gods
>>
>>53940434
C++. It has some neat syntax features even C# lacks.
>>
>>53944966
>Java
You move into your house. It gets garbage collected.
>>
>>53944966
>mfw this is what javafags actually believe
Let me fix that for you.

>Java
The materials are provided in the store for free, but to access them, you first need to call an Oracle materials distribution representative and describe to him the exact layout of your house. You then need to drive up to the oracle factoryfactory and ask them to build you a factory that will be capable of producing the materials you want. In this step you again need to describe the exact layout of your house. Afterwards, you need to wait for a year while bloated managed code queues, unqueues, and requeues your contract 50 times throughout internal processing. Once that is finally done, you will have to pick a location for your factory, and reorient it to face the right direction because the serviceman will have installed it upside down. Once that is complete you can use it to start producing the materials for your house, at a limited rate, but every time you want to queue a request you have to describe the exact layout of your entire house (for the third time). The materials that come out are packaged in a way that makes it impossible to transport yourself, so you need to call up oracle again and request an appropriately configured delivery truck to be produced from their delivery truck factory. (And of course, you need to describe the exact layout of your house to them so they know how to size it.) This delivery truck will come with only 3 of 4 wheels, so you need to build and add the fourth wheel yourself to be able to drive it. Once you can do, you can drive it to your materials factory and use it to deliver materials to your house, one at a time. Every time you complete half the trip, it runs out of gas and you need to call an Oracle fuel salesman to schedule a fuel delivery to your truck. You need to describe the exact layout of your house to him so he knows how large the fuel trick is. Do this over and over again until your house is completed.
>>
C++ or C, never tried C before, but Java is horrible.
>>
C

Java is shit
>>
C++

I'd get bored with the other two languages.

C++ provides me with unlimited ways to fuck shit up.
>>
People with jobs will choose Java. Hobbyists will choose C++. Autist neets will choose C so they can shave .00000000000002 seconds more off of their fizzbuzz implementation.
>>
>>53945490
I agree with this description..

I come from plain scripting lang background using Python and JS... C++ is unlimited potential. Even if backward compatibility with C is only sometimes useful.
>>
>>53945568
>Autist neets will choose C so they can shave .00000000000002 seconds more off of their fizzbuzz implementation.
Typical “performance” strawman.

Protip: C users don't pick C because they somehow believe it will make their program faster.
>>
>>53945568
Person with a job here. Java is shit, C++ is alright, C has nothing to do with performance
>>
>>53940487
Who?
>>
>>53945271
i'll opt out
>>
C, because you can implement C++ and Java with enough C; you can't implement C with Java, and it would be a pain in the ass with C++
>>
C++ or Java, either is fine.

I work mainly in C# but I'm no language fanatic. Just don't see how the effort of C is ever worth it from a business perspective. For hobby projects, functional languages are the way to go if you're not a complete failure.
>>
>>53940728
LOL!!!!11
>>
>>53945701
Performance is just a bonus then?
>>
>>53946188
Yes. C's actual benefits include being portable, and compatible with any other programming languages. If you wanted C++ libraries to be portable, you'd have to forget about things like overloading and cover all your functions in extern "C". Being able to program in C means you can extend other programming languages easily for things like missing functionality or low-level functionality that's difficult to express in that language, as well as performance if you want.
>>
File: 1458162644981.jpg (42 KB, 704x560) Image search: [Google]
1458162644981.jpg
42 KB, 704x560
>>53940434
C is mama.
Stay close to mama.
>>
>>53945769
Nice bait
>>
>>53945794
>you can't implement C with Java

You're retarded? You're retarded.
>>
In college, thinking about minoring in cs. Told a cs major I was thinking about learning c++ or Python and he told me c++ was becoming obsolete. Is there any truth to that?
>>
>>53946702
Considering C++ is the major player in gamedev and probably will be for decades to come, it's not going to disappear or become obsolete. Same with Python, it's grown and taken over too much
>>
>>53946702
Last I heard, C++ is still king for anything hardware/performance intensive that's a step above firmware, like game engines and such.

At any rate, "obsolete" just means "you'll make bank maintaining legacy code."
>>
>>53946702
just learn common lisp or scheme faggot
>>
>>53946712
>>53946717
If I'm interested in AI but don't care about gamedev, is c++ worth my time?
>>
>>53946763
There are probably languages devoted to AI that aren't as mainstream, but are useful. Try researching them. In any case, with C++ having most of C's features, C++ won't be a waste of time
>>
>>53946763
Yeah, a ton of code everywhere is written in C++.

Anyway, the whole C tree of languages is so similar that it's not like you're choosing between learning Latin and Japanese. If you know one, you know at least 60% of all the others.
>>
>>53946779
>>53946784
Ok great, thanks for the help
>>
>>53940434
I use to say C++, but Java 9+ is actually better
>>
>>53940434
c++

If for nothing other than the fact that you can make objects with scoped lifetimes without anything extra. It's super powerful, and it's something you can't do in C automagically.
>>
>>53940434
C++. But I am very unhappy about it.
>>
File: WSapJde.gif (2 MB, 371x371) Image search: [Google]
WSapJde.gif
2 MB, 371x371
>>53940434
Both Java and C++ are derived from C, just with retarded functionality and bloat on top.

C.
>>
C no doubt

I'm an electronics engineer
>>
Ya'll fags who think C++ is hard.
Or only write python.

If you don't know how to byte or bit pack, please leave the thread.

C & C++ ofc.
>>
>>53940434
Java > C > C++
>>
File: monkey_tap_self_icon.png (87 KB, 331x331) Image search: [Google]
monkey_tap_self_icon.png
87 KB, 331x331
>>53940434
Been programming in C for over twenty years, so, easy decision.
>>
C, the rest is brain cancer with bad design.
>>
>>53940434
C++ is superset of both C and Java

Everything I can do in C and Java I can do in C++, but not the other way.
>>
>>53940434
Before I got hired I was all about C++.
After working with Java for a few months and learning the ropes of 1.8, Spring Boot, Repositories I... changed my mind. As much as I'd like to optimize every single character of code, with Java I can just be more efficient.
Most libraries are pretty robust, Maven/Gradle make your life sooooo easy and the fact that it's cross platform is pretty good too.

Really, unless you write drivers / kernels / game engines, you have no excuse to dislike Java.
>>
C because C specification is in check.
>>
C
>>
>>53944966
>You have to chop down the wood yourself, mold steel into nails yourself, chemically blend paint yourself, melt sand and limestone yourself for windows yourself, basically it's not worth it

Wow, you never ever heard of libraries ? Really ? Wow.
>>
>>53948990
Java is verbose af.

You didn't even compare it to a good other language. Both C++ and Java suck.
>>
>>53946637
> Javascript comes from Java
>>
>>53940434
C
Then just reinvent Java or C++
gg
>>
>>53940434
C++ no contest.
That is, I currently only use C++ cause I work on projects that fit it. Not to say the others are bad per se.
>>
C : Firmware coding
C++ : masturbating to Windows
Java: Business Logic & Enterprise Systems

OP is a faggot.
>>
>>53945271
This... this is surprisingly accurate. Thankfully I haven't touched Java in a while, but it's always funny to see CuckFactory, ConcreteCuckBuilder, BuildCuckPart and shit like that. Not that design patterns are bad on their own, but Java's world is a world of "These patterns are the only allowed building blocks. You have to use them and you have to use them this way." thing. That's the only thing allowed (mostly) and most companies build around that. Libraries do that too.
>>
C++
>>
>>53940544
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
File: rob-pike-before-after-google.jpg (56 KB, 508x400) Image search: [Google]
rob-pike-before-after-google.jpg
56 KB, 508x400
>>53940434
Fuck, he's aged horribly. Still better than what happened to Rob Pike at Google.
>>
c, then u can just write the other ones in c
>>
>>53951536
Top fucking kek. This guy nailed it.
>>
>>53940868
>If you start with C++, you already have C

int *delete = malloc(3432);

poor quality bait
>>
>>53946233
>C's actual benefits include being portable
It is really easy to write non-portable C code.
>>
>>53940434
Java > C++ > C
>>
C++
>>
>>53940434
C, without a second thought.
>>
>>53953768
And the practices for doing so are known and easily avoidable. Most modern C programmers do checks on things that might limit portability like data type sizes
>>
File: 1458255503220.jpg (47 KB, 720x439) Image search: [Google]
1458255503220.jpg
47 KB, 720x439
>>53945769
the creator of the internet, idiot
>>
>>53950635
:^)
>>
java
>>
D > all of that garbage
D is the best language you're not using
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.