[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is Agile Development
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: interrogation.png (28 KB, 186x208) Image search: [Google]
interrogation.png
28 KB, 186x208
I accepted an internship at a company that uses the "Agile Development" methodology.

Can someone explain what this meme is actually about? When I try looking it up, every page I find contains nothing but a large collection of esoteric buzzwords, and when I look up any of those buzzwords they're just defined in terms of other buzzwords.
>>
Welcome to the world of Project Management. Everything is a buzzword and nothing ever actually gets done.
>>
>>53935286
But seriously, OP, it basically just means that someone is going to come to you and say "hey, we just ran into this small problem, please fix it right away."

It's the "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" approach.
>>
>>53935286
Agile software development is a set of principles for software development in which requirements and solutions evolve through collaboration between self-organizing,[1] cross-functional teams. It promotes adaptive planning, evolutionary development, early delivery, and continuous improvement, and it encourages rapid and flexible response to change.[2] Agile itself has never defined any specific methods to achieve this, but many have grown up as a result and have been recognized as being 'Agile'.
>>
All it usually means is "not waterfall", as in, you don't sit there developing for 6 months before the client touches things. You gather feedback during development.

Only spergs get mad about it because they want to build an entire application how they think it should be done, rather than doing their job of satisfying the client. If you have basic social skills you can convince people your way is better anyways.
>>
It basically doing whatever to make things get done faster, or so they think.
>>
>>53935359
This.
>>
>>53935286
Its le buzzwords that managers use to seems smart

Why they pay these people so much is beyond me...
>>
Snake oil, along with Scrum, Kanban, etc.

Refuse to work anywhere that practices any of these things.
>>
What about Xtreme Programming (XP)?
>>
RUN AWAY
>>
File: dilbert-agile_programming.gif (23 KB, 600x208) Image search: [Google]
dilbert-agile_programming.gif
23 KB, 600x208
>>53935286
>>
File: dilbert-extreme_programming.gif (16 KB, 600x213) Image search: [Google]
dilbert-extreme_programming.gif
16 KB, 600x213
>>53937295
>>
>>53937295
you have a laptop attached to your chest and code while you do things like bungee jumping, skydiving, wildwater rafting, wrestling grizzlys or walking dressed up as a rabbi through a stormfront convention.
>>
>>53935567
>If you have basic social skills you can convince people your way is better anyways.
Why even do that?

Client requesting changes == more work/hours == more money.

This is exactly why Pajeets are beating us.
>>
>>53935286
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvks70PD0Rs

"I need Agile Methodology." explains it all.
>>
>>53935286

IT project manager here. Agile development is:

- the customer's requirements are captured only at a very high level initially e.g. "I want a website where people can gamble on real-time TV events using credit cards". These are called "Epics"

- Epics are used to assess the overall viability of the project, the team membership, budget etc e.g. "we'll need 59 guys working 2 years to get that site live"

- Epics are then broken down into small "user stories", like "when i click on an image, a video starts playing". The coding/development to deliver the user stories is done in fortnightly "sprints", each sprint must contain approximately the same amount of work and end with a usable software product at the end - even if it's just a wireframe of a blank webpage

- the "customer" - the originators of the user stories - sits right next to the dev team so they can answer questions, make choices, and basically direct the work so they get the product they want
>>
>>53937676
>epics
>stories
>sprints

Congratulations, you've triggered me
>>
>>53935301
kek
>>53937204
Good luck finding a job with actually smart people in charge... seems everyone is falling for the agile meme.
>>53937368
lost my shit
>>53937640
Perhaps your way might be less work overall compared to the client's brilliant mind.
This is an ongoing struggle.

By all means the methodology is worth zero shits if the team is retarded and/or run by retard fucks. I know very well of a team in a multinational company that brags being cutting edge all the time and their output is still shit.
Sad thing is that a lot of my buddies work there.

>>53937676
Wouldn't that be Scrum? Or it's the general basis of all agile methodologies? I'm a bit rusty on my IT Management rethoric.
>>
>>53935286

software engineering came from electronic engineering.

For a long time it was thought that software was like a circuit - it could be specified and designed and work for a long period of time within specific tolerances and limits. Software developed under this mindset was either massively over budget or just plain wrong by the time it was delivered because it's requirements had changed.

In the 1920's a series of architects that rejected the industrialisation of society started having fantasies about what a major city would be if it were to remain its pastoral and picturebox heritage; they invented the radiant city and the radiant garden city. 'Intellectuals' such as Le Corbusier and Ebenezer Howard strived to make the architect the master and everyone else victim to the architects whim and 'vision'. Cities developed under brutalism or monumentalism or under the guidelines of impressionism fell apart because they failed to understand the complexity of human life and society. You cant design houses based on the equations of geometry - you have to consider who will be living there and why.

A new generation of architects and architectural critics such as Joan Jacobs and Christopher Alexander emerged and changed the way that architecture was thought about, preaching that cites and the buildings within them were organisms and had to be grown not designed.

20 years later this made it from architecture to software architecture. Agile is the idea that the software that you're developing is more like an organism than a rigid structure and has to be grown not designed.
>>
>>53935359
>tfw I'm doing agile development at work and I don't even know it
Damn I might get a better job after this
>>
>>53935286
It means that you split up development cycles into chunks of time and you split up work into individual more manageable tasks.

Typically each chunk of time or a "sprint" is supposed to produce some kind of deliverable at the end or at least something stable.

It is maybe slower and has more overhead, but when you have a big enough team it doesn't really work for everyone to just go full blast without ever regrouping and discussing.
>>
>>53935286
you should resign
>>
>>53937204
>Kanban

Kanban is literally just treating everyone with respect, making sure everyone understands how areas in production work, and then training people properly.

It's not a meme when every Japanese car manufacturer does it.
>>
>>53938865
That sounds bullshit, why shouldn't I be able to treat the new hires like shit?

>idea was literally brought to the US by weaboos
>>
>>53939003
To be this young and foolish again
>>
>>53939003
>>53939029
kek
>>
>>53937726

The scrum is the daily meeting where the devs, project manager ("scrum master") and customer(s) work out how they will deliver all the user stories in a sprint, and solve problems that are blocking progress.
>>
>>53935286
Software dev here. Pretty much this >>53937332
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.