[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux security
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: Hat and Clocks.jpg (43 KB, 640x468) Image search: [Google]
Hat and Clocks.jpg
43 KB, 640x468
Morning, /g/entlemen. I was hoping you guys could help me out. I'm looking for decent encryption and file shredding software for Linux. I keep a lot of tax documents and other personal stuff on an external drive and I would like to be able to encrypt it, as well as be able to properly destroy it once its outlived its usefulness. Google hasn't really been of any help here.

I would like to find something capable of producing hidden volumes like Truecrypt was, and ideally I'd like to be able to program the shredder to shred the drive if the wrong password is input too many times. But failing that, I need to encrypt the data. Any recommendations?

Pic unrelated.
>>
dmcrypt + luks
>>
cryptsetup can help bootstrap the above process
>>
>>53929599
anybody have information on setting up an auto "shred" system for the trash on, say, debian?
>>
>>53929599
>I'm looking for decent encryption

literally every distribution offers to encrypt your disk or /home upon installation which uses dmcrypt + luks, which as far as encryption goes, is top of the tier

>file shredding software

file shredding software is a meme, if you encrypt your disk and follow *basic* good practices, you won't need to "shred files"

if you do you're doing it wrong

>properly destroy it once its outlived its usefulness

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/[...] bs=4096

you're welcome

>I would like to find something capable of producing hidden volumes like Truecrypt was

hidden volumes for tax and personal documents, huh?

who are you really trying to protect your data from, OP? because if you're trying to protect it from the state you absolutely DO NOT have enough knowledge to know what the fuck you're doing, and asking for quick and easy on psuedo-anonymous forum boards won't help you

go read a fucking book, as well as documentation on the software you're planning on using, as well as researching up on security topics, it will give you a basic primer for how much more you need to learn to achieve what you want to achieve
>>
>>53929599
luks, and shred
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.