[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you remain minimal while having a tech hobby, /g/? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
How do you remain minimal while having a tech hobby, /g/?

I feel like I accrue tech and parts I don't need.
I just want to go back to how it was before I started making decent money.

I have considered using my Thinkpad full time, but damn my 34" Ultrawide just can't be beat.

How do you all manage?
>>
i install gentoo. over and over
>>
>>53928134
Sounds like fun.
>>
>>53928118
I only use laptops and single boards lately cause I don't need an i7 to do my retard work.
>>
>How do you remain minimal while having a tech hobby, /g/?

Since when did having a "tech hobby" mean having the biggest and best things you can buy?

It's easy to be minimal when you realise minimal is all you need.

My most powerful computer these days is a T60 Thinkpad with 2GB of RAM and a 1.8GHZ processor. No reason to have anything more powerful than that, so I've really begun to enjoy seeing what I can get out of it. It's still a really capable machine.

I also really enjoy using my Pi in a text environment for things like IRC, Usenet, BBS, Gopher, etc.
>>
>>53928118
I dont there is no point.
I have a workstation laptop for work.
Have 5 raspberry pi's ( 3 servers 1 weather station and another has 3 antenna AP in my farm)
3 soldering irons.
Several servers controlling pumps farm equipment sensors and even cameras+security system.

And I have surplus of stuff laying around for me to fuck around on week ends ( from arduinos to all kinds of single board PC's and spare PC parts and sensors, the whole 9 yards).

And I'm still in university taking a professional cource as a network and systems technician.

And I did all that stuff on my own, no prebuilt solutions.

Tech hobbies mean you have everything to work and experiment you can't go minimal and hope to stay sane.
>>
I use minimal phone homescreen and my pc descktop is pitch black for that minimalism
>>
Impossible.
Spending too much money on tech is synonymous with being an enthusiast, and being an enthusiast means you'll always find a way to re-purpose the outdated tech your new tech generates, all of this creates clutter that I push into a storage cupboard.

I suggest investing in minimal looking storage, such as a cupboard or garage, that way you can stick posters of Gaben and/or RMS to the walls.
>>
I'm on the same boat.

I just sold my desktop and my tablet a few months ago and now I'm only using a 15" laptop + 24" screen.
If I ever need a powerful GPU (I don't game) I either go to my schools lab or use the ones at work. It does take longer to get there but it's still much less time that I'd use to maintain another machine that I don't use 95% of the time.

The tablet was a useless paper weight to begin with.

I deleted most of my unnecessary online accounts and now I'm left with Email, Bank, PayPal, Amazon, Dropbox, github, school and work account

It's pretty fucking sweet when basically every mail you receive is something at least semi important and not marketing bullshit.

I have an openWrt router I like to play around with, though, and a lot of VMs.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.