[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: Lua-logo-nolabel.svg.png (128 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Lua-logo-nolabel.svg.png
128 KB, 2000x2000
What do you guys think of lua?

Should I learn it to begin programming?
>>
>What do you guys think of lua?
complete shit
>Should I learn it to begin programming?
no. FUCKING LEARN C
>>
>>53927572
>What do you guys think of lua?
Pretty gud.

>Should I learn it to begin programming?
No
>>
>>53927597
I dont want to dive straight into C yet, it looks like it will be to hard to understand as a start, any other suggestions? :^)
>>
>>53927618
I like Lua and think it's a decent beginner language. You should still learn C though.
>>
>>53927618
C because the only thing that makes it hard is the fact you can see the difference between something that has multiple copies in ram or somthing that is has its memory address being passed around
>>
>>53927599
Why is it not a good starter language? Any other suggestions?
>>
>>53927649
C because all modern languages are based on its syntax
>>
File: 1397298470661.jpg (69 KB, 1004x609) Image search: [Google]
1397298470661.jpg
69 KB, 1004x609
>>
>>53927597
/thread
>>
>>53927618
http://www.stroustrup.com/new_learning.pdf
>>
Well, Lua was my first programming language. There was a mod for Minecraft called Computercraft, which allowed you to craft computers in the game. You had to program the computers yourself using Lua. I haven't used Lua for a while, so I don't know how good the language itself is, but my experience with it allowed me to get an understanding of programming logic. Understanding logic is the most important part of learning how to program in my opinion.
>>
It's really neat how it takes the idea of everything being a table to an extreme. I wouldn't learn it as a first language because the stuff that makes it nice aren't apparent to someone who isn't familiar with how things work.

Learn Ada as a first language. If it's good enough to fly airplanes, it's good enough to catch beginner mistakes
>>
>>53927618
Start with Lua. C is a good SECOND language.
>>
>>53927572
still love it.
>mfw playing WoW/wanting to modify my UX taught me Lua

every other language i read is ugly in camparison.
>>
It's actually pretty awesome but you might get more use out of it if you know C/C++ and/or Python first. Of course you can just learn Lua, but it works best over existing programs, patches and such.
>>
>>53927666
That's the same stupid argument as telling people to learn Proto-Indo-European first because all modern (Western) languages descend from it.
>>
>>53927666
satanic trips speaks truth
>>
>>53927666
noice trips
>>
>>53927618

I wish i had started with C desu, makes you learn good code practices from the start, also gives you a much better understanding of coding in general, saving you time when learning other languages.
>>
I had to learn Lua in order to customize MPV osc.
It was easy.
>>
Lua is horrible, it has dumb scoping rules, variables instantiating to nil without being declared, has the usual mid-90s scripting language dynamic/weak typing shit combo, and will generally give you brain damage.
>>
>>53931003
>computer language === human language

nope
>>
>>53931529
Analogies are not statements of equivalence. Reread his post and try again.
>>
>>53931448
>I wish i had started with C desu, makes you learn good code practices from the start
Stop shilling that meme language, dumb fucking faggots.
What good practices? Every C code is hacky, ugly crap made by pseudointellectual fat cucks.
>muh purity
>muh performance
>>
>>53931613
You are just mad that you were taught Java as an introduction to programming instead of C.

Get of my board, kid.

>>>/v/
>>
>>53931628
Java is infinitely better than C. Come back to this board after you made more complex stuff than mergesort.
>>
I started with Lua.

I would advise that you start with c, though.
>>
>>53930901
I learned Lua for the sane reason
>>
Lua is OK

Try making games with LOVE 2d engine
>>
>>53927597
There's clearly a lot of anger in you. Why did someone asking your opinion on Lua trigger you so hard?
>>
How can anyone HATE Lua? It's so innocuous and too simple and small to have anything worth absolutely despising. I really don't get it. Language elitism at its most irrational.
>>
>>53931613
Go kill yourself you fucking code artisan webdev
>>
>>53931448
>I wish i had started with C desu
No you don't
>>
>>53927572
Learn Java or C++ as your first. Maybe python.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.