[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
grub installation from live USB
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: grub.gif (53 KB, 540x300) Image search: [Google]
grub.gif
53 KB, 540x300
Hello /g/,

I'm currently playing around with a live Debian USB drive and I've noticed that I still have an old Debian partition on my HDD which I've lost access to because I did a clean Windows install a few months ago.
Is there an easy way for me to restore dual-boot, e.g. install grub without much of a hassle?

>inb4 not your personal tech support
>>
Try to chroot into the Debian partition from a live USB (you have to use a LiveUSB with the same system architecture as the one on the HDD, so check before whether it is 32 or 64-bit) and then just install grub as usual
>>
>>53922452
O boi you could but you'll have to read a lot.
Grab a live linux usb.
Boot it.
Read how to remove GRUB from your comp through chroot
Download Syslinux in Chroot and install it properly

>Why Syslinux?
The configuration file is easy af.
Just uncomment everything you want as a bootoption. Grub Configuration was a pain in the arse for me

Then just save and reboot. Youll have your options again.

As an alternative try installing a new Grub through Chroot but i cant promise that it'll give you all options
>>
Bump. I have to install Windows 8.1 next to my Debian partition and I want to know how to recover all my data as well.
>>
Boot to a live Linux distro on a USB and get GRUB Customizer
>>
>download supergrub and burn it to a CD/write it to an usb stick
>boot supergrub, use it to run your debian install
>use grub-install to reinstall grub
>>
>>53924331

Exactly what I would do. Seems the most painless way. Super grub is handy anytime bootloader gets fucked since it basically builds it's own for you at boot.
>>
>>53924459
too bad only a few people know supergrub2
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.