[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the legality of using a photo from another website
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Bonsai Tree.jpg (868 KB, 2200x1238) Image search: [Google]
Bonsai Tree.jpg
868 KB, 2200x1238
What's the legality of using a photo from another website on your own website? They can only sue if it's copyrighted, correct?

I'm asking because I'm throwing together a quick website for my dad's small business and just would like to just use some pictures off of google image search.
>>
Why don't you just find a copy left image there's plenty out there.
>>
>>53921285
Ask apple, they steal every wallpaper in every iOS release.
>>
Enjoy your lawsuit. They're all copyrighted by default unless they specifically say that they're public domain. You need permission.
>>
>>53921318
yeah, but Apple has the ability to bury anyone they don't like in paperwork
>>
>>53921285
Search on flickr for Creative Commons ones with a BY- licence. If you mention (perhaps in the site source code) where it comes from, you're good.

Don't steal photos. Photographers know how to use Google.
>>
>>53921285
Just shoop it enough for it fool Google's reverse image search.
>>
>>53921285
how fucking hard is to take a picture
>>
>>53921326
This. All intellectual creations (read: anything that is created by a person) are copyrighted the moment they are created.
>>
Just say copycucks >>>/out/ in the footer
>>
advanced image search options, set search settings to only show free to use stuff (I can't remember what the settings are called)

I had to use this in school
>>
>>53922650
I just checked and nowdays it literally in the drop down menu where you can filter resolutions etc.

are you retarded or am I?
>>
>It's okay to steal content from other websites
>Complains about adblcokers
>>
>>53922650
Yeah thanks for this, I didn't even notice that!
>>
>>53921285
>I'm asking because I'm throwing together a quick website for my dad's small business and just would like to just use some pictures off of google image search.
Taking your own photos will look more professional anyways.
If you don't have a good camera, you might know someone who does, if not you can hire a photographer.
>>
>>53921285
Change the image 20% or more and it's yours
>>
just paste a really small Mickey mouse icon somewhere and claim they aren't the copyright holders of Mickey Mouse
>>
File: 1454445422627.png (154 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
1454445422627.png
154 KB, 557x605
>>53923047
>>
host the website in trinidad & tobago or cyprus or something so you can just tell them to fuck off when they complain
>>
You can specify if you are allowed to use, edit , etc. in the search criterias of google image
>>
>>53921285
use google search tools and in the copyright menu, select ones that allow reuse without modification
>They can only sue if it's copyrighted, correct?
its copyright by defailt
>>
Copyright is automatic
>>
I'm surprised at the number of people around who really don't understand how copyright works. Given it's a major part of how our society functions, and the basics aren't all that complex, it really ought to be something everyone should know.
>>
>>53921285
It's illegal as fuck all. Purchase a stock photo for $10 from getty.
>>
>>53924283
TBF, if you think you understand copyright, you don't. It's complicated as fuck. Ditto Trademarks and patents.

Jew lawyers make their living making it stupider and more complicated
>>
>>53922717
Cheaper to just give Getty $10 for a stock photo.

Me and every other business in the USA does that.
>>
>>53924324
Shutterstock too forgot them

Just use a site. Rights cost like $10
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.