[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have 16 GBs of RAM and I've just heard of doing a RAM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1458838299292.png (97 KB, 207x201) Image search: [Google]
1458838299292.png
97 KB, 207x201
I have 16 GBs of RAM and I've just heard of doing a RAM disk.

Anyone here willing to tell me if it's bullshit, ruins the PC, or stuff like that?
>>
They improve your ability to use google
>>
>>53920177
Yes, but I'd also like /g/'s opinion because /g/ is one single individual who knows all about computers
>>
>>53920198
/g/ are bunch of poorfags who will shit on you just because you could afford to buy 16GB RAM
>>
>>53920231
>could afford to buy

RAM is literally fucking cents, come on
>>
Pedophiles have been using ram disks for decades to disappear flatchested data whilst the police beat down their door with a battering ram. Apparently, it also has other uses such as.
>>
>>53920243
Literally every thread is faggots shitting on someone because he has more than 8GB
>>
>>53920163
It's pretty pointless because you have to save all the data on the hdd when shutting down or else it get wiped.

Unless you are doing a lot of copying in the ram disk or reading files it's pretty pointless. But then there is file caching which makes ram disks pretty much pointless.

tl;dr: not worth your time OP
>>
>>53920251
>with a battering ram
Is that supposed to be a joke?

>>53920261
That's some neat board culture knowledge, really needed to know that.

>>53920273
Wew lad, thanks
>>
>>53920273
>shutting down
people still do that?
>>
>>53920303
Good to do once every month or so. I do it each time I get a kernel update
>>
>>53920273
Or use it for your download folder if your OS is on an SSD
>>
I have 16Go and very occasionnaly use ~8-10 of them for recording short 1080p 120fps video clip with fraps.
I use ImDisk
>>
>>53920261
>using more than 4gbs
>for anything but 3D rendering
Shiggy.

I bet you buy the latest mac and iphone everytime it comes out too
>>
>>53920163
RAM disks were probably a good idea back when HDDs were still used as the OS drive, but pretty much every test today shows that there is no tangible difference between the average SSD and a RAM disk in processing times, whether it be Photoshop or games or whatever.
It's very difficult for most applications to make real use of more than 500MB/s throughput unless you're scrubbing through multiple streams of 4K footage and want real-time performance.
Even when comparing just SSDs, a 950 Pro isn't going to be 4x faster than an 850 Pro except in very specific applications, otherwise boot, load, and processin times of most productivity applications will be identical between both.
>>
>>53920163
I run my OS from a flash drive. This is extremely relevant to me. I want Firefox, Atom, my kernel, and a few others loaded to a ram disk on boot.

How do?
>>
>>53920287
>Is that supposed to be a joke?
They actually knock then go away if nobody answers ;)
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.