[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Slackware
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: slack.jpg (48 KB, 232x227) Image search: [Google]
slack.jpg
48 KB, 232x227
Tell me;
Why are you not using it?
>>
What does it offer that another distro doesn't?
>>
>>53918527
An actual decent UI
>>
>>53918527
Sanity
>>
14.2 when
>>
>doesn't even have a package manager
lol
>>
>>53918527
Autism
>>53918604
wrong
>>
>>53918604
it has several actually
>>
How up-to-date are the packages?
>>
>>53918545
I kek'd
>>
>>53918659
Not very.
Security fixes get backported though.
>>
Debian testing is fine here family.
>>
File: hey_there.png (22 KB, 204x147) Image search: [Google]
hey_there.png
22 KB, 204x147
>>53918724
>debian
>>
>>53918702
Shame. How up to date? Debian late, or Ubuntu LTS late?

Also how's the install
>>
>>53918765
http://packages.slackware.com
(some semi-official packages for stuff like kde5 also exist)

installation is through a simple dialog-based installer
>>
>>53918765
Like 3 years late.
>>
Four words: Open bee ess dee
>>
I'd rather work with my computer than work on my computer.
>>
Lack of built in multilib support is the only reason I don't use it.
>>
>>53918470
Because I use NixOS, a decent distro
>>
>>53919025
# SLACKVER=14.1
# mkdir multilib
# cd multilib
# lftp -c "open http://taper.alienbase.nl/mirrors/people/alien/multilib/ ; mirror -c -e ${SLACKVER}"
# cd ${SLACKVER}
# upgradepkg --reinstall --install-new *.t?z
# upgradepkg --install-new slackware64-compat32/*-compat32/*.t?z
>>
>>53918470
I use Ubuntu Mate. Why should I switch?
>>
>>53919142
Try Salix Mate, mate
>>
>>53918470
Dependency resolution
>>
>>53919162
I'll check it out.
>>
>>53918470

No dependency resolution.
>>
>>53919185
http://docs.slackware.com/slackware:faq#why_doesn_t_slackware_s_package_manager_do_dependency_handling
>>
>>53919221
> Automatic dependency handling requires constant manual developer maintenance, and adds potential for dependency hell.

This might have been true 15 years ago, but in all modern distros, the package manager works fine without any issues.

> The official Slackware Linux distribution is anyway meant to act as a cohesive whole. Hence, dependency management is largely moot as installing the entire distribution (the recommended way) takes care of most dependency problems.

So you're not supposed to install anything once the distro has been installed? That's not how computers work.

> Several popular Open Source applications can be compiled with different dependencies based on compile-time configuration switches. This makes dependency handling harder and more error-prone for binary redistribution of third party software.

Every other distro seems to handle this 'issue' just fine. If you want to have certain options, just compile the package yourself, but not everyone will do this. For the majority of users, the binary will do just fine.

>Slackware Linux official distribution does not have the resources or manpower to manage dependency handling for third party software, which is a complex undertaking, requiring a lot of testing and is prone to errors as already noted above.

So basically the distro could be dead at any minute? Nice to know.
>>
>>53919280
>So you're not supposed to install anything once the distro has been installed?
Said no one ever.
Slackware just starts you off with most of what you need already. Installing additional software is usually straight-forward since often a full install already covers all dependencies.
>Every other distro seems to handle this 'issue' just fine.
I've run into shit like that with Debian and Arch before.
>So basically the distro could be dead at any minute? Nice to know.
Survived longer than any other distro
>>
because poor security. precompiled slackware binaries dont make use of stack canaries, they arent position independant (so no ASLR) and the GOT section of most all of the executables can be written to, they are NOT readonly, or even partially readonly. even fucking ubuntu makes use of these things.
>>
>>53918596
>14.2 when
>slackware current
>>
>>53918470
But i am. Desktop and server, both blessed by our lord and savior DOBBS
>>
Started using slackware when 4.0 was the latest build. It was a great system at the time, fun to learn on. These days, even with slackbuilds, software management in slackware just seems like too much of a pain in the ass.
>>
>>53920540
how often do you install shit?
>>
Actually I am
>>
I tried to like it but there's just far too little development or maintenance for my taste (but to the guy's credit slackware received the patches for bash/heartbleed around the same time as any other major distro)

I'd love to get back to using it but the path I will probably take is running it as a hobby distro until I'm comfortable enough to use it for anything meaningful - something that I've thought about doing with several other distros
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.