[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Linux just a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: Cyber-Panel.jpg (371 KB, 1513x1000) Image search: [Google]
Cyber-Panel.jpg
371 KB, 1513x1000
Unironic question: have you ever actually seen a single Linux server in a company?

I've been in IT for almost 30 years now and I've never seen anything but Windows (and NetWare a long time ago, but only Windows these days) on business servers.

I mean, I like Linux, and I fiddle with it at home, but that's it.

>inb4 muh web http apache
I'm talking about enterprise services like directory, e-mail, database, network policy, etc.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>53916640
Yes
>>
Sure.

It depends where you are though and what they are doing with the servers. MS still hold 30% server marketshareand are used for mail, stores and other various other things. For example Red Hat the only pople in Linux making big money use Windows to power their website and store, all the stackexchange/overflow sites which are probably biggest linux resource are all hosted on Windows IIS.

You usually find Linux servers where it's needed to be cheap, many instances up very quickly and it's allowed to have it nuked regularly and and re-span an image when the OS breaks after a few weeks.
>>
>>53916640
we would only run windows if there was no way to run something on linux
and even then these few windows instances in the sea of linux one where hosted in vm under linux
>>
>>53917146
>where hosted in vm under linux
Confirmed for having never been employed before.
The majority of Linux you come across is not running on bare metal and a lot of the time is ran from hyper-v, vsphere, etc. Literally nobody runs Windows servers from virtual machines in Linux.
>>
My company has lots of servers running GNU/Linux, Ubuntu and CentOS mainly, also 3 ArchLinux instances for deep learning research.
>>
>>53917214
Also, the majority of software developers use GNU/Linux, including out manager.
>>
allways depents how long i worked for that company..
the longer i work there the more linux maschines appeares.
usally start with some w-lan stuff and without i take over mail, file, print servers.
one by one.

then i get bored leave that company and they have nobody who can run that system.
i have a frind who owns an it-system-house (german term for service company) - he loves me
>>
>>53916640
yeah my first job and every job since but i only work for medium to large scale enterprises
>>
Does a supercomputer running Linux count?
>>
File: photo.jpg (17 KB, 265x265) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
17 KB, 265x265
>>53916640
>MSSQL
>IIS
>>
>>53917191
given that I installed the blades it run on in the server room, then installed linux on the blades and then managed all the vm's that run on top of that I think I know a little more than you where the windows instances I was talking about where running on than you...
>>
>>53916640
>I've never seen anything but Windows
kek seriously? Bullshit, almost every place I have worked for has some old Unix server somewhere.
Be honest now, you've been interning at a startup for about 3 months, right?
>>
>>53916640
The company I work for has debian, aix, and windows servers. The one before thar was debian only, with lxc containers.
>>
>>53916640
The first widows server (Windows NT 3.1) was released in 1993, if you have been working in IT for 30 years what did you use before 1993?
My company still uses several Unix servers and a Ubuntu server, yes we use Windows servers too but Linux based servers are cheaper due to licensing costs.
>>
File: Microsoft_Motto.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
Microsoft_Motto.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
>>53916640
My GOD you are so full of shit or you should not be posting.
>shit poster
>>
I worked at a company that mostly used Microsoft products and they even used Linux for a couple of things.
>>
I deal with content management servers (jboss, webcenter content) and all of them are running redhat linux.
>>
I'm running a RHEL fork right now (Foobar linux). We use it on our register terminals because it's bombproof and secure.
>>
File: GFz9ROS[1].jpg (877 KB, 2400x1619) Image search: [Google]
GFz9ROS[1].jpg
877 KB, 2400x1619
>>53916640
> have you ever actually seen a single Linux server in a company?
Yes, there's a ton of them in the company where I work. It's large web studio which works with the Russian government. Technology stack is mostly Debian w/OpenVZ kernel + Nginx + PHP-FPM + Postgres/MySQL. We usually don't use proprietary software because it comes from US, and those departments don't want to be backdoored.
Pic not related.
>>
>>53918892
>Debian
>not backdoored
>implying NSA operatives dont contribute to all popular open-source OS projects
>>
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report

try any decent site. only a site run by a single 60 yr old "IT" guy would still use windows for a web server at this point
>>
>>53919092
It's not confirmed. On the other hand, Windows backdoors are real. _NSAKEY, Windows Update can install anything even if it's disabled and other stuff like that.
>>
File: ok.gif (1 MB, 386x286) Image search: [Google]
ok.gif
1 MB, 386x286
>>53916640
You've been in the business for thirty some odd years and you've never seen anything but Windows servers? You're so full of shit it's embarrassing to read.

You claim to have been working in the business far longer than Windows servers have existed, but you've never seen anything else?

Ok.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.