[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>making website for a guy >mostly finished >all the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: 1457475710452.jpg (18 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1457475710452.jpg
18 KB, 320x320
>making website for a guy
>mostly finished
>all the backend stuff is done
>now doing css
>mfw I fucking suck at css

is it bad that I am better at PHP than I am with CSS?

I swear to fucking god every time a resize occurs with the browser or it loads to a phone 1 of my fucking panels will bounce into my footer file

>mfw my boss fixed it before me
>he's a fucking biology grad student
>I'm the computer scientist

so should I kill myself now? Spare myself the shame of not knowing CSS?
>>
>buy $5 theme
>slap on site
that's how we usually do it
>>
>>53911834

this is my first time ever making a website for someone

used CodeIgniter MVC, PHP, MySQL, and bootstrap

It feels good that the website has come out so well but fuck me every time my boss asks me about a CSS error I die inside.
>>
Use some kind of grid "framework" like bootstrap if you responsive design is a hard requirement
Make sure you understand the box model, and use body * { box-sizing: border-box; }

>is it bad that I am better at PHP than I am with CSS?
No it's not, CSS is a shitfest and no normal person will actually learn it without being coerced
>>
You have a CS degree and you cant fucking do CSS? What are you retarded m8. Howd you even make it in the uni
>>
>>53911965

>Howd you even make it in the uni

>implying my university touched on web design

it's all about algorithms and C, C++, C# at my uni mate.
>>
Because you don't actually write your own CSS and HTML.
>>
>>53911752
just slap on some nice pastel colors, neon light edges on buttons, etc and general material design
>>
>>53911752
CSS is hell
>>
File: 1448747103142.png (79 KB, 307x400) Image search: [Google]
1448747103142.png
79 KB, 307x400
PHP is shit. Codeigniter is a shit framework, even for PHP.
>>
Nah, no one wants to work with CSS.
Get someone else to do it.
>>
>>53912060

> Codeigniter is a shit framework

might I ask why? I am relatively new to web design but I really liked its MVC layout once I got used to it.

only issue with it is that my boss wants to learn about it and that shit can be complicated.
>>
CSS is ez pz once you've spent the time understanding how the box model works and all the properties that affect it - so several years...
>>
File: shirtless-indian-man.jpg (25 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
shirtless-indian-man.jpg
25 KB, 600x399
>>53912063
>Get someone else to do it.

Why hello my friends.
>>
>>53911987
Guess you wasted your time then. Whyd you become a fucking webdev you learned this shit in uni
>>
File: 1447454079588.jpg (45 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1447454079588.jpg
45 KB, 600x600
Why no one come up with something that let you write your HTML, then instead of css, you just drag and drop things and style it with your mouse?

You'd still have to write codes to make it work.
>>
>>53912120
It has been done 99999 times you dumb fuck
>>
>>53911752
Nice blogpost! May I link to this on my site?
>>
>>53912120
that's like every GUI web designer. It results in shit unmaintainable code though
>>
>>53912130

I'm new to this stuff, no one told me that. But is it good? OP is not the only one getting fucked by CSS.
>>
>>53912117

I am still in uni

this is a job I can add to my resume

I would take any job since my resume consisted of nothing but school, small school projects that look cool, and a GPA hovering at 3.0
>>
>>53912153
everyone is getting fucked by CSS mate
>>
>>53912120
You mean Dreamweaver?
>>
>not using laravel
>the current year

jesus christ codeigniter what a nightmare
>>
>>53912187

>codeigniter

is codeigniter really that bad? I got exposed to it when I took a web dev class at my uni and liked it so I rolled with it

never explored the other options.
>>
>>53912117

Not the one you mentioned, but glad to confirm I'm wasting my time.
Except that i'm getting a degree in web dev, i'm learning calc, math, algorithms, java and C. I've been learning web design on my own, since it has 0. The teacher who is supposed to be teaching web related stuff is batshit insane.
>>
>>53912207
I wouldn't say its bad, it's one of the first PHP MVCs created iirc. It's just that it's old and there's a ton of better alternatives by now like Symfony and Laravel.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.