[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
XBPS Package Manager
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 0.png (391 KB, 690x431) Image search: [Google]
0.png
391 KB, 690x431
Has anyone tried out this Linux package manager? It's the one used by Void Linux.
What do you all think about it?

My number one concern when looking at Linux distros is which package manager they are using, so this thread is about XBPS primarily.
However, feel free to give your thoughts on void linux as well.
>>
Just going to bump this once for a second chance since there's probably not a lot of people here who have tried this distro.
>>
>>53912914
Void Linux is my daily driver. It's really nice, if a bit weird at times. The wiki is kinda strange but I just use the arch wiki because it's the same pretty much. I have only had a few problems but I fixed them pretty quickly.
>>
>>53913053
xbps is a great package manager, but it's naming conventions for packages aren't standard so you might have to you'd xbps-query to look it up.
>>
>>53911728
Your #1 concern is how you install software?....do you even use the system, or is it just a toy?
>>
Tried it superficially. Looked primitive. E.g. no boolean dependencies, no file dependencies (=> no auto-parsing of dependencies from .so/.pm/.py files). Just another pacman. Nothing revolutionary here.
>>
>>53913074
1. It's quite important thing to do in any kind of OS.
2. There're use cases where you plan to use the OS for something else, like custom firmware flash USB live distro where making up the OS is important.

You're faggot.
>>
>>53911728
Not related to the package manger specifically but this distro seems interesting. I'm wondering why I would use it over something similar like Arch or Gentoo though.
>>
>>53913074
OP here. If you already know what you want out of your work environment it isn't that hard to make pretty much any Linux distro look and act exactly as you want. Distros are basically just software bundles with initial configurations.
Those are all the easy things to manipulate.

The package manager is the one thing that you aren't going to be able to change safely. You're pretty much locked into it based on what distro you pick, and a lot of the decisions about how the "guts" of your distro were set up (which also aren't things you want to mess with) are dictated by the package manager your distro is using.

Nothing else is quite as important when picking a distro unless you don't want to waste time tweaking everything.
>>
It has a lot of applications, not everything, but still a lot.
>>
>>53913053
>>53913540
I guess I should have said in the OP that what I was really wondering is how stable it is and things like that.

For example I've heard people sometimes have trouble upgrading to new versions in distros like Ubuntu due to dependency conflicts leading to some things breaking, and so they end up just reinstalling.
Are things like that an issue with xbps?

Do you feel like it's something you could use with frequent software installation/removal and upgrades for 10 years without anything breaking?
>>
>>53913598
If you don't upgrade new software won't work.
>>
>>53911728
Building from source is too rigid. Better than PKGBUILDs because of subpackages but not as powerful as ebuilds
>>
>>53913607
I don't know what I said that would make you write that comment.

I was asking if the everyday process of keeping your system up to date and normally installing/removing software will cause breakage over time in the XBPS package managing system.
Because that is a problem that happens with some package managers.

I didn't say anything about not upgrading.
>>
>>53913655
I have a sub 70 iq and am black I am just parroting what people say.
>>
>>53913614
So you're saying portage is better?

I use gentoo right now, but I'm actually curious about alternatives that can offer the same stability, even if it is a binary distro.
Something that I can feel comfortable actually recommending to new users. Because right now I actually don't think any distro is right for that job. Gentoo is great for people willing to learn and put in the time, but not for your average user who expects a simple system like what Ubuntu can offer but without having to worry that it's going to break every 6 months.
>>
>>53913689
You want stable?
You want Slackware.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.