[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /g/ how do I remove unity from Ubuntu 14.04LTS and replace
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
hey /g/ how do I remove unity from Ubuntu 14.04LTS and replace it with gnome so I can have a dock on the bottom of the desktop environment?
>>
literally
apt-get remove unity && apt-get install gnome
you can google this shit
>>
>>53910651
thanks bb
>>
File: read the sticky.png (7 KB, 420x385) Image search: [Google]
read the sticky.png
7 KB, 420x385
>>53910611
/g/ is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.
Read the sticky.
>>
anyone have any suggestions on the best DE?
>>
>>53910672
CDE is the most respected.
>>
>>53910672
herbstluftwm
>>
>>53910611
Upgrade to Unity 8 and you can.
>>
>How do I remove a poorly optimized, half-assedly designed GUI from linux
Oh that's easy, make sure you're in the proper demographics to be using linux in the first place and then uninstall it
>and replace it with another poorly optimized, half-assedly designed GUI that needs hours of fucking rice that breaks literally every single release
>all for a minor cosmetic change
Hmm, yeah, you're definitely cut out for linux. I think you'll figure this out on your own. You'll have to eventually. I can see you getting very nitpicky over shitty linux GUIs in the future, maybe to the point of posting in desktop threads are seriously giving a shit about bspwm vs. i3 vs. dwm vs. penis.

Not what I mean by the proper demographic though. I meant "server users who only use a windowing system remotely, if at all". Those people use standalone applications with ssh -X more than they use DEs, really.
>>
You can literally install OFFICIAL Ubuntu Gnome distro
>>
>>53910672
>anyone have any suggestions on the best DE?

Unity
>>
>>53910819
jesus dude, put down the fedora and cool off cuz your sweaty as hell
>>
>>53910672
linux DEs are all terrible and barely work for anyone.

if you're not using an OS that has good UX by default like OS X or windows 7 you might as well rice.
>>
>>53910861
mentioning "fedora" in a linux thread will cause confusion
>>
>>53910942
oh i forgot about that distro zozzle
>>
>>53910611
>hey /g/ how do I remove unity from Ubuntu 14.04LTS and replace it with gnome so I can have a dock on the bottom of the desktop environment?
wait for 16.04
>>
>>53910611

Upgrade to 16.04
>>
>>53910933
>linux DEs are all terrible and barely work for anyone.

only kde never worked for me
>install plasma and only the essential shit on arch
>networks not working cause kde ignores dhcpd and uses its own shit
>tell system to use dhcpd
>kernel panic that crashes plasma
>go back to plasmas networking shit
>install networkmanager instead to work within plasma
>works until i try to host a local http server to server some simple html
>kernel panic

i wish i was joking
removed plasma and stuck to xfce instead.
atleast xfce works.
>>
>>53910819
>Linux community in one post
>>
>>53911668
>kernel panic
Either you have no idea what you're talking about or the problem is Arch (which still means that the problem is you because you were stupid enough to use Arch).
>>
File: smugtomato.jpg (55 KB, 900x810) Image search: [Google]
smugtomato.jpg
55 KB, 900x810
>>53910663
Cry some more bitch
>>
>>53910672
Switched to Cinnamon and it's my new favorite
>>
>>53910819
kek
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.