[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the dress code for software engineering interviews?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 13
File: 1428435649853.jpg (44 KB, 600x360) Image search: [Google]
1428435649853.jpg
44 KB, 600x360
What's the dress code for software engineering interviews? Can you get away with a polo or do you need to buy a suit...
>>
I prefer to use jeans and a shirt with a tie and jacket
>>
>>53910118
I usually wear a dress shirt and dress pants. Makes you look professional without wearing a suit and looking completely unfit for the job.
>>
I usually just wear a simple dress, opaque tights, plain flats, minimal makeup, hair down and non-flashy earrings+necklace.
>>
>>53910149
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>53910118
I got hired once and I walked in with jeans and the top part of a tracksuit.

If they like you, they'll hire you.
Your clothes have nothing to do with it unless you're literally making them gag.
>>
Depends where are you getting the job. If it's for a hipster startup, it doesn't matter that much, but if you're getting a job in a bank or similar you NEED a suit.

But going "business casual" is a safe bet.
>>
>>53910149
ROAST
O
A
S
T
>>
Sheeeit. I'd walk in there wearing a $1,000 hugo boss suit with a cornflower blue tie and brown Italian leather shoes.

I would also make a point to constantly check my diamond encrusted rolex for the time every five minutes.
>>
>>53910191
this. all you literally have to do is look at the interviewer right in the eye and give him a hard handshake.
>>
>>53910149
>he fell for the trap programmer meme
>>
>>53910118
I usually wear a suit. When they comment on it I just mention I don't have many opportunities to wear the suit and it's nice to dress up sometimes.

The last interview I went on was mid-summer without decent bus service or parking so I ended up just wearing jeans and a short sleeve button up shirt, though. A suit would have been WAY too warm.

Pretty much the bigger the company and more conservative the industry the more likely you should wear a suit.
>>
>>53910190
on cue lol
>>
>>53910191
>>>53910118 (OP)
>I got hired once and I walked in with jeans and the top part of a tracksuit.

Of course they did. Slavs are great programmers.
>>
I just have a thin generic blazer that I wear on top of any normal set of clothes. Makes me look somewhat formal without being uncomfy.
>>
usually shoes pants and a shirt
>>
>>53910118
Wear what you would wear everyday at work. If you are unsure, this >>53910208 is great.
>>
File: photo.jpg (49 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
49 KB, 500x750
>>53910118
I went to my first interview with vans, jeans and a shirt like the photo.
>>
>>53910715
Job title, and outcome of interview?
>>
>>53910734
>Job title
Software developer
>outcome
I got the job
>>
File: bjourn.jpg (32 KB, 432x324) Image search: [Google]
bjourn.jpg
32 KB, 432x324
>>
Don't dress like a retard
>>
Plain shirt and clean jeans is usually all you need for dev and IT jobs. Remember, no one wants to deal with a tryhard, even the boss.
>>
>>53910118
kek that graph is very accurate senpai

where is the interview at? usually for tech/start up companies in the bay area it doesn't really matter. It's probably the same for other bigger cities such as Boston.

Good companies will judge your code and analytical thinking, not your gender or snob clothing.
>>
>>53910351
Only thing crusted is your anus.
>>
>>53911099
dress like that if you'd like a large corporation to steal everything you create.

OP you wear a fucking suit to any interview where you actually want the job.
>>
>>53910561
you mean I shouldn't put it on my resume?
>>
File: 1456005282129.jpg (14 KB, 420x248) Image search: [Google]
1456005282129.jpg
14 KB, 420x248
>>53910118
Would trapping up increase chances of getting a job if you're passable?
>>
>dress code
Man, modern society sure has you kids by the balls, doesn't it?
>>
>>53911225
>OP you wear a fucking suit to any interview where you actually want the job.
Fucking Americans
>>
>>53911512
>dress code
>modern society
>>
>>53911502
>trap
>passable
you're new here
>>
>>53910118
go to company website

dress like the models dress like
>>
>>53912224
PARIS
A
R
I
S
>>
Shirt and tie. Most interviews I've gone for (financial sector firms) have had one person from HR there, not just fellow nerds. Better off to over dress and make a joke about it once the ice is broken, than under dress and look like you're an intern.
>>
>>53910561
>I will never go out with a qt trap programmer

I'm the IT guy. She'd program cute things.

Why is life like this, /g/. :(
>>
>>53912556
>trap
>she
>>
Also I usually go with casual wear pants. Not jeans, way too casual. Just something nice, linen-y.

A nice shirt and a good tie. Maybe even a light jacket.

Depending on the place, it's either converse or dress shoes. Just make sure all the colors are well combined.
>>
>>53912576
>Not wanting a reverse trap husbando to act like the dominant one in public.
What are you heterofag?
>>
>>53910118
I usually dress with anime hoodies like pic related and shorts.
But haven't had any luck yet probably cause' those damn h1-b's keep stealing my jobs
>>
>>53910118

Cosplay the company's mascot
>>
>>53910118
i wear a black hoodie with the hood covering most of my face to look more l33t
>>
>>53913037
>Not completing the look with a ski mask
Pleb
>>
>>53912615
Yes
>>
File: Asafaggot.jpg (40 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Asafaggot.jpg
40 KB, 640x480
Got my first programmer job dressed up like this
>>
>>53913061
keep it mr. robot style
>>
>>53913248
>mr. robot
Pleb confirmed.
>>
>>53913245
I wonder what life must be like to be so handsome.
>>
>>53913285

It must be easy to dress up, because you'd probably look good and "professional" in anything.

A man like this could unironically go dressed up as a cowboy for a tech job interview and still get the job.
Humans, i guess...
>>
>>53910191
>>53910531
Can't tell if sarcasm or baby boomer...
>>
>>53910118
What they were in company photos unless you are told otherwise
>>
>2016
>be female
>want to work in tech but can't code
>apply for tech job
>get rejected
>call ACLU and tell them they discriminated against my vagina
>get on Ellen and the view to talk about the struggle
>get job offers from Microsoft, Google and Facebook
>get hired by Facebook as assistant diversity officer
>tfw making 6 figure salary for having a vagina
>start to believe this is how great capitalism is for everyone
>vote for hillary in next election
>tfw Hillary wins the election for having a vagina
>>
>>53911225
So polaks should wear a suit for a plumberig job interview?
>>
NSA has taught me the correct way to look as a super secret elite programmer/coder/hacker.

Pic and vid related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgahKksMZis
>>
>>53915205
Overall a good year for vaginas in the US.
>>
>>53915271
I've seen him before and I just thought he was just some random cuck... But holy shit.. Now I can't fucking stand anything about the NSA.
>>
>>53910118
I wear cargo pants and a comfortable sweater.

If they value my looks over my technical understanding of the field I'll be working in, I don't want to work at their company.
>>
>>53915349
enjoy being jobless or working at a startup without benefits then
>>
>>53915366
Employed as a sysadmin. I don't care about your picture of reality.
>>
>>53915390
>sysadmin
top kek
enjoying that amazing pay eh?
>>
>>53915405
>Worrying about money
I don't care about your picture of reality.
>>
>>53910118
Depends if it's an engineering firm or not. If yes, you need a suit, if not you are recommended to come in a polo and jeans. Overdressing is typically worse than underdressing within measures.
>>
>>53915414
>picture of reality
I mean if you enjoy living in a studio apartment then be my guest
>>
You should dress like a nerd: polo and jeans.

Non nerds aren't fit for IT jobs.
>>
>be
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            a passing trap

How are girls even supposed to dress for interviews?
>>
>>53910118
You ask the recruiter what you should wear. You can't go wrong here, really. They understand that hipster places have loose dress codes and it can be unclear when interviewing.
>>
>>53915481
Theres no such thing.

The adams apple and male midsection will always give you away.
>>
>>53915586
>recruiter
Enjoy giving away 15% of your potential pay rate.
>>
>>53915618
Not necessarily. Any decent sized company has in-house recruiters. You know, the people you have to talk to before you get to the real interview?
>>
>>53915592
I don't really have those problems because I had an androgynous figure in the first place. I just have wider shoulders than most. And normies are really bad at singling out traps compared to people from the chans.
>>
File: 3782000345.gif (2 MB, 362x204) Image search: [Google]
3782000345.gif
2 MB, 362x204
>>53915648
>Not necessarily
Keep telling yourself that. There is absolutely no reason to go through a recruiter.

>You know, the people you have to talk to before you get to the real interview?
>mfw I'm not in a "real interview"
>>
You wear a suit the first time, then realise everyone is wearing tshirt and jeans so you then wear the same as them
>>
>>53915756
Okay I'm guessing you're still in college or something. The only time I didn't have to talk to a recruiter (even if it was a 5 minute conversation) was when I was applying to very small companies/startups. Any decent sized company will have someone to make sure you aren't autistic and at least know something about the position you're applying for before they let you waste their engineers' time. I'm not talking about when they outsource a "recruiting company", these are people employed by the actual company.
>>
>>53915669
pic with timestamp or nobody will believe you

from the neck down if you must, but I'm willing to bet you're not half as androgynous as you think you are.
>>
>>53915852
>>53915648

My understanding has always been that these people are in HR, are you sure that's not who you're talking about?
>>
>>53915852
>I'm guessing you're still in college or something.
You would guess that. It's called projecting.

>I'm not talking about when they outsource a "recruiting company", these are people employed by the actual company.
You mean the HR department? We must be lost in translation on the term "recruiter" then, anon.
>>
>>53915888
They might technically be in the HR department, but their actual job is to recruit. The company tells them "find candidates for x position", and they reach out to people or respond to applications.
>>
>>53915935
I usually get contacted by someone I know asking if I want a job at their company and then passed off to an hr person for a sort of screening process
>>
>>53910118
Got my current job wearing a plaid flannel, jeans, and a pair of Vans I never wear

They thought they were getting a hipster vans douche but instead they got a yeezy wearing hypeast
>>
>>53916105
>plaid flannel, jeans, and a pair of Vans
>Replace Vans with work boots
>You lumberjack now
>>
>>53916157
Valid

Most of the guys I work with are lumberjacks too

We really fell for the 00s aesthetic
>>
>>53915860
I don't have anything to prove to you, bud. If you don't want to believe me, you don't have to; it's irrelevant to the topic at hand. The reason I posted in this thread was to ask what women are expected to wear for a tech inerview.
>>
>>53910133
kik me iranherover
>>
>>53916287
>what women are expected to wear for a tech inerview.
pantsuit
>>
>>53910191
This. It's not a beauty pageant. The most important thing is hygiene. Some people forget that IRL. What you wear isn't nearly as important as who you are. Just be sure to be cleanly dressed with no logos or questionable items like a LMGA cap or whatever. It's probably why people say the safe bet is a collared plain shirt and slacks because some people's idea of clean dressed is a wife-beater shirt and stained shorts.
>>
File: DTC-MAGACAP-RD-2.jpg (142 KB, 468x568) Image search: [Google]
DTC-MAGACAP-RD-2.jpg
142 KB, 468x568
... I need coffee.
Another thing is making sure to avoid any obvious smells like perfume or cologne or body spray as they could be allergens or cause people to be focusing on your smell rather than on what you are saying.
>>
>>53910130
This is good.

Dark jeans, shirt can be untucked, tie and jacket, dark or dress shoes.
>>
File: 1428220212459.gif (875 KB, 500x318) Image search: [Google]
1428220212459.gif
875 KB, 500x318
>>53912772
>pahjeet in sandals is better than you
>>
>>53913267
how so?
>>
>>53916443
>as they could be allergens
I thought I was the only person in the world to be highly alergic to the dogshit people use as cosmetics.
>>
>>53916515
My girlfriend is a huge faggot about running out of the room when I put on one spray of cologne (ck one no less) in the morning. She says she's "scent sensitive". She also bitches about me vaping indoors.
>>
full stack dev

i come to work with running shoes, tight jeans and a black hoodie

i also sometimes wear a hat or the hoodie

when its cold i come with the hoodie and a military jacket that i bought second hand and makes me look like an anarchist
>>
>>53912615
I hate gay people.
>>
>>53916339
can you/should you wear a tie with a pantsuit?
>>
>>53916765
no. look up the tie shit females wear in dress uniforms in the military. wear that shit
>>
>>53910118
You can never go wrong with a 'Smart Casual' attire.
Can be underdressed for an uber-formal place like a bank or similar, but you won't look entirely out of place.
Even in a hipster startup you can pass as acceptable, and everywhere in between you are pretty good.
>>
>>53916538
tbH I get rashes, coughs, dry eyes and swelling (including the throat) when someone with usual cosmetics (deodorant, perfume, cologne) is nearby.
>>
File: qtpantsuit.jpg (26 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
qtpantsuit.jpg
26 KB, 500x750
>>53916765
This
>>53916783

That bowtie looking shit.
>pic related
>>
>>53912537
Also this.
>>
>>53910208

This nigger is wearing denim on his chest and cotton on his legs
>>
>>53916893
Pants on head retarded?
>>
File: mpv-shot0008.jpg (509 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0008.jpg
509 KB, 1920x1080
>>53916339
You should wear this, it shows your strive towards success.
>>
>>53916958
That wouldn't fit too well. I need to practice tucking my bangers and mash first.
>>
>>53911225
+(You)
>>53910130
this
depending on the job leave the tie out
I'm never going to apply for a job as banker shit manager or whatever so no full suit
that's just autistic and every normal person sees it like this
you can absolutely never be overdresses / dressed better than the person that interviews you and in most (even big) companies the personnel manager wears jeans+shirt+jacket+(tie)
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.